IGNORED

Jana Duggar 12: Will She or Won't She?

nelliebelle1197

12 hours ago, viii said:

I have to go to an outdoor wedding today and it’s 30C outside. PRAY FOR ME GUYS. 

How did it go?  

A few years ago, my niece had an outdoor wedding ceremony in summer and it was miserably hot and humid. She put out huge ice buckets with water bottles in them for guests.  The little kids were dipping their entire arms in them  It was a really thoughtful thing to do.  

• Upvote 7

Oh that reminds me, I went to another summer wedding several years ago that was held in a graveyard. I doubt it had anything to do with the decomposing bodies 6 feet under, but there were SO MANY FLIES. It was about 35C and I was 7 months pregnant at the time and it was all just rather unpleasant. Then at the reception, somehow a bunch of water guns and super soakers appeared. I remember commenting at the time “not your typical bikie shootout” since the groom and many of the guests were members of an evangelical motorcycle club so there were these big tattooed guys with massive beards and leather jackets squirting one another with water pistols.

That was a memorable wedding.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 24
  • Love 3

39 minutes ago, Smee said:

Oh that reminds me, I went to another summer wedding several years ago that was held in a graveyard. I doubt it had anything to do with the decomposing bodies 6 feet under, but there were SO MANY FLIES. It was about 35C and I was 7 months pregnant at the time and it was all just rather unpleasant. Then at the reception, somehow a bunch of water guns and super soakers appeared. I remember commenting at the time “not your typical bikie shootout” since the groom and many of the guests were members of an evangelical motorcycle club so there were these big tattooed guys with massive beards and leather jackets squirting one another with water pistols.

Wow, you win for strangest outdoor wedding!

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 8

It actually wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. It was hot but they put a tent up and there was a bit of a breeze. Didn’t eat much because I just can’t eat food that has had flies crawling all over it. ?

• Upvote 5
  • Disgust 4

My  summer wedding story is the friend who got married in a green house in July. I have never sweated so much in my life. Although shout out to Urban Decay because my eye makeup didn't budge.

• Upvote 15
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Smee said:

I want to know the whole story of this wedding.  @Smee I feel like you've left us hanging ?

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 4

8 hours ago, Natalie22 said:

I want to know the whole story of this wedding.  @Smee I feel like you've left us hanging ?

Haha ok. They were a young couple who were also pretty alternative. He was a member of the “gods squad motorcycle club” which is basically a Christian group that tries to evangelise to bikie gangs and follows many of the same rules/behaviours/culture and dress, minus the outlaw and drug stuff. Her dad was in the same group and she herself was a Harley-riding airbrush artist with a growing number of tattoos. Her engagement ring was a skull with diamonds for eyes. They got married at the local graveyard, her dad was the minister, and they both arrived and left in a convoy of motorbikes. The groom wore a leather vest. The bride wore a rockabilly style knee length white lace dress and carried a bouquet of dried (dead) roses. She had 4 bridesmaids each in their own (not matching) 50s style dresses that they picked up second-hand at charity shops, none of them had flowers. 

The ceremony was big on Jesus and being saved, then the reception was at a local hall next to the community garden. Stand up canapés followed by an outdoor barbecue. Water guns were brought out to keep us all cool. The bride and groom sat there while a guy gave them freehand tattoos on their hands instead of wedding rings. She got a heart, he got a Jesus cross along his ring finger. A little while later they moved to a remote outback town and did some mission stuff with an Aboriginal community there. 

Turns out he was an abusive asshole and they’re now divorced, she’s also very into exvangelical stuff these days. She’s been a huge support to me in my own separation. Still very artistic and not big on the mainstream.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 18
  • Love 10

I think 80% of all weddings here are summer weddings. Maybe because it is the only season that you have an actual good chance of being able to be outside without a coat on ?

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 8

5 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

I think 80% of all weddings here are summer weddings. Maybe because it is the only season that you have an actual good chance of being able to be outside without a coat on ?

being also from a tiny wet European country, this is my experience too! Wild see so many people saying how lovely a November wedding would be. Not here it bloody wouldn't be!

(I've been to a few - a lovely one in the little church Mr Quilt's family/community attend, coats and scarves stayed on for the service but there's an ancient Turtle stove in there that gives decent heat. Churches are about the least warm buildings ever, and then not being able to go outside is rubbish too. Quite a few winter weddings I've been to have had a ceilidh at the reception though, brilliant for an indoor activity that warms everyone up)

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

In Sweden people get married in the summer and usually either indoors or with a solid plan b in mind. ️ 

I’ve been to one wedding in Australia that was on a very hot day but both the church and the reception venue were air conditioned and the bride’s brother handed out cold waterbottles inbetween. 

One of my friends got married in Spain and it was so hot inside the church and their priest talked for so long I thought I was going to melt. And once we finally thought he was finished he just wanted to say ”a few words” in Spanish as well and talked for almost as long. ? 

• Upvote 4

My friend got married on St Croix. My husband wore a full suit. I told him he was crazy, but he didn’t believe me. This was basically his progression. 
image.jpeg.eac783dc707f6d363517bce534369088.jpeg

My brother’s wedding ceremony was outside. New Hampshire in June usually is perfect for that, but this day was so unseasonably hot! See above illustration.

My cousin got married on the beach on an island in the Outer Banks. She had no alternative plan if the weather crapped out. It rained the entire weekend. Except for the 1 to 2 hours for her ceremony. The sun came out, ceremony and pictures happened, rain came back. We took it as a sign for a lasting marriage. ?

I love the idea of outdoor weddings… ?

Edited by AnywhereButHere
  • Haha 23
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, AnywhereButHere said:

I love the idea of outdoor weddings… ?

Same. The planner in me (I come by it honestly - I plan stuff - not weddings - for a living) just gets nervous even thinking about it. I wanted an outdoor wedding, on an island where we met - but the thought of how to get all those people over, where they'd stay, how to get Grandma on the beach - ugh - I think we'll pass. 

But it might be fun to dig out the dress and do pics on the beach with just us - but I'm going to guess Hubs is NOT on board. 

• Upvote 1

My wife and I went to a wedding once for a distant cousin. They planned an outdoor wedding in November.

It was raining and cold and they went ahead with it. They managed to erect a small covered area for the bridal party & musicians for the ceremony; the rest of the guests all stood outside it with umbrellas. The reception was at one of the relative's houses nearby, they had set up a tent in the backyard, but it was too small for all the people that came; it ended up being crowded and damp. I hope the couple enjoyed it but it was miserable for the guests.

I get wanting to have an outdoor wedding, but you have to be realistic about what the weather is probably going to be like. Change the date or location, or have it indoors, or at least have a reliable Plan B.

• Upvote 8

My outdoor fall wedding was WINDY. That was our biggest issue. My veil went straight up into the air. Many pictures were taken with veil going crazy everywhere.

• Upvote 2

We got married outdoors in fall and it was a perfectly 75-80 degree overcast day the entire day until just about the second we were pronounced man and wife and then it started drizzling. We didn’t get many pictures of just the two of us because of the rain, but the reception was indoors so everyone rushed inside and started having hors d’oeuvres and drinks. We had a Plan B just in case but I had always wanted to get married outside so we risked it for our 30 minute ceremony. 

• Upvote 1

I've been to several weddings, but only one I remember being outdoors - it was a cousin of mine, and it was sunny and warm but I remember it being lovely. 

Most indoor weddings I've attended had at least a small outdoor component, though. One was in early November and we went outside for photos - it was sunny and 75f outside! (Marriage didn't last long.) Another was in February - overcast in the morning but sunny after the ceremony. It was the morning the space shuttle Columbia broke up on re-entry. We should have taken that as a sign - divorce after a couple years. My sister's wedding was July 31, but it was cool-ish (for July) and rained all day. The outdoor part was just the "getaway" and it was done under a covered porte-cochere. They're still married over 10 years later. 

A client of mine had her wedding outside on the beach, and she had me design programs for the wedding that were small brochures that she attached to bamboo folding fans. I've done another wedding program that was printed on card stock and attached to a wooden fan handle so the program itself became like a "church fan". 

I think outdoor weddings can be awesome, but they require a bit more thought and planning than indoor ones. 

• Upvote 2

On 8/2/2021 at 8:37 AM, AprilQuilt said:

being also from a tiny wet European country, this is my experience too! Wild see so many people saying how lovely a November wedding would be. Not here it bloody wouldn't be!

(I've been to a few - a lovely one in the little church Mr Quilt's family/community attend, coats and scarves stayed on for the service but there's an ancient Turtle stove in there that gives decent heat. Churches are about the least warm buildings ever, and then not being able to go outside is rubbish too. Quite a few winter weddings I've been to have had a ceilidh at the reception though, brilliant for an indoor activity that warms everyone up)

I had a similar reaction; November can be cold and snowy where I live. Late November is always below 0 and the guests would need heavy parkas and mitts. Heck, there could be a blizzard. Two years ago we had a major blizzard in early October, right before Canadian Thanksgiving. Summer weddings are often outdoors but after September it would be risky. 

• Upvote 5

In my experience of weddings in the NY/NJ area, nearly all ceremonies and most cocktail hours are outdoors, with the full reception being indoors. Everyone has a backup plan, but most ceremonies are between 10-30 minutes and the weather holds out. I had one family member that last minute did have to put up tents/tarps due to rain.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

12 hours ago, viii said:

If I ever get married, I want to get married right before Christmas ?

My ideal would be around Halloween, but I'd take before Christmas, too. I don't think it's going to happen, though. And I am 100% fine with that. I could throw myself a big Halloween party and dress as a bride if I really felt the need to. No need for legal entanglements or accommodating other people's preferences!

In fact, I have the perfect black dress for that... Hmm. Added to the post-pandemic ideas list!

Edited by Alisamer
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, viii said:

When I was a young child (35-40 years ago?) I was the flower girl in a Christmas Eve wedding. I still remember it. It was so beautiful. Very old fashioned, heavy velvet dresses, old New England church, lucked out with getting fresh snow. It was like it was in a movie. The reception was at a very fancy golf club, decorated to the rafters with Christmas.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 8

1 hour ago, keen23 said:

When I was a young child (35-40 years ago?) I was the flower girl in a Christmas Eve wedding. I still remember it. It was so beautiful. Very old fashioned, heavy velvet dresses, old New England church, lucked out with getting fresh snow. It was like it was in a movie. The reception was at a very fancy golf club, decorated to the rafters with Christmas.

MY DREAM

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

14 hours ago, viii said:

That's what we did, the Saturday before. One unexpected bonus: The church was already decorated, so if you like poinsettias and that kind of thing (like we do), you're good! We hardly had to do anything.

• Upvote 8

17 hours ago, viii said:

I have been to three December weddings and the weather was terrible for all three.  The first one rained extremely heavily.  The second one was my brother's wedding. It was on  a December 10. There was a blizzard.  My sister had just gotten her driver's license the day before and she was appointed to drive him and some of his wedding party to the church 30 miles away.  Thank goodness they made it safely. The third one was on a December 30 and we had what must have been the worst ice storm in New York City metropolitan area history.  We rarely get ice storms but this one was a doozy.  We couldn't make it to the church.  Finally the snow plows came to de-ice the streets and we made it to the reception.  On the way home that night, we got a flat tire while reversing the car on an icy patch.  So I do not advise a December wedding unless you live in the warmer zones!!

• Upvote 4

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic