IGNORED

Josie & Kelton 7: So Boring that No One Discussed Her Baby Shower

HerNameIsBuffy

You can buy a lot of children's clothing, books, and toys second hand and save a lot of money. I often do that. However there are so many things where you can’t buy used and save the difference. That one is food. Kids eat a lot and it just becomes more and more as they get older and older. Sure you can buy in bulk and everything. But food is still expensive when you have a bunch of kids. That’s why I think Jill Rod never seems to make enough food. Because it’s just too expensive. And she wants to save that money for her nights out with David and plexus. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 12

I buy clothes second hand or at the end of the season and store them to the next year. My daughter has hand-me-down dress shoes because baby feet grow before the shoe shape has changed but her everyday shoes are podiatrist approved stride rites that I buy new. Winter boots I also buy new. I wore my sister’s hand-me-down shoes and boots as a kid and hated it. The boots were never warm anymore and worn out sneakers were not awesome. I don’t blame my parents; from a cost perspective it made sense but I throw out shoes or boots that are worn out when they are passed down to us. 

• Upvote 5

Kids' everyday shoes aren't a good bet secondhand unless you have no choice, but as mentioned, dress shoes will be outgrown well before they are broken in. I trawl through thrift stores looking at shoes as well as other items, because women will buy a pair in the wrong size, wear them once and then give up. I got a pair of definitely never worn Clark boots at Goodwill last year for nine dollars. You can find dress sandals, too, worn once for a wedding and never again. 

My grandpa was a shoemaker. He hand-fashioned shoes for people who needed special heels or different sizes, etc., for a men's shoe store in Kansas City. I inherited some shoe snobbery even though we never had a lot of money. I would buy everyone who needs them well-designed shoes if I could, and help everyone have nicer healthier feet. 

• Upvote 10

8 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I think there are many reasons why people limit family size, but probably cost ranks pretty near the top. I had 1 coworker with 4 kids ( 2 sets of spontaneously occurring twins). She had a good deal of family help and a husband who was extremely hands on. Her kids are early to mid 30s, so it was sometime ago. In my 35 year career I never worked with anyone who had more than 4 kids.  More people means you need more money to survive and provide for. We only have two and could never figure out how to have 3 without needing more money or how to cut back on our work schedules. More people and less income? Nope-

Yeah, the main reason we stopped with 3 is that was all we could afford. We have a small SUV, not a mini van. We can (usually) take trips without needing an extra room. We can afford sports and extra curricular. Time is a factor too. Three kids in lessons usually has running around 4 days a week. I can’t Imagine trying to schedule another kid, but again. i also don’t know how I would afford it and I would have to take away from my other kids. But  as I said, 3 is pretty much the standard in my circle. 

• Upvote 7

I have none, but, my sister stopped at 3 due to money and hands. LOL she used to joke one was my responsibility, but, in truth it did work. We camped, traveled together with other friends & family and it worked out very well. They're very close in age, now 27, 29 & 30 and there were enough eyes and hands to make sure everyone was safe.

We only lost 1 once. Kinda my fault ... LOL.  He was quick and about 7 when I gave all the kids (8) $5 at the amusement park for games later in the day. The kids were running to & from 2 rides when we realized there were only 7 not 8. I knew immediately my nephew had gone to the games, took off and found him within a minute, however, hearts were pounding.

Hard lesson for him later that afternoon when the kids all got to play games and he didn't (we also figured out that one vendor took advantage, took his $5 for a $1 game and he only got to play once, but, it was his punishment too).  The next day I gave it to them at the end of the day when we were getting our snacks & it was game time, lesson learned!

Edited by Smoochie
  • Upvote 4

Willow threw a glass bottle (Gabry bottle?) and gave Josie a black eye. Josie has a real talent for makeup because she looked nearly perfect after covering it up.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.668d15ede69d38379ae4b6d872295e02.png

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, JDuggs said:

Willow threw a glass bottle (Gabry bottle?) and gave Josie a black eye. Josie has a real talent for makeup because she looked nearly perfect after covering it up.

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.668d15ede69d38379ae4b6d872295e02.png

Spoiler

FD6DAC6E-A8AB-415F-9849-043F3B2FADA5.thumb.jpeg.86f52fd4f29388dfea37a55ece472ecc.jpeg

I can relate to that. My son once threw a wooden building block when he was about 13 months old

• Upvote 3

Ugh I hate the throwing stage of toddlerhood. That’s how so much stuff got broken in our house. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, BrandoBarks said:
  Reveal hidden contents

FD6DAC6E-A8AB-415F-9849-043F3B2FADA5.thumb.jpeg.86f52fd4f29388dfea37a55ece472ecc.jpeg

I can relate to that. My son once threw a wooden building block when he was about 13 months old

I was staking some pea vines in my little green house the other day and nearly staked my eye. Next time I am blaming the kids.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 8

23 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

I was staking some pea vines in my little green house the other day and nearly staked my eye.

I can't even imagine how this happened, so seems like it's story time.

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

This is probably a stupid question, but I created a fake Insta account to follow fundies and gets lots of Bates updates. And what I'm wondering is - what are the logistics of getting that much content up so regularly? Like, who takes the photos? The kid ones I get, but Josie and Kelton were recently in the snow...do they take someone along specifically to get all their posed couple shots? The images seem better quality than you would get with just handing your phone to a stranger to take a quick shot.

Or are they just pretty people with good filters and can make those shots happen easily?

They must spend a shitload of time creating their content. I don't remember having that much time when I had a toddler and a baby!

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, ToriAmos said:

This is probably a stupid question, but I created a fake Insta account to follow fundies and gets lots of Bates updates. And what I'm wondering is - what are the logistics of getting that much content up so regularly? Like, who takes the photos? The kid ones I get, but Josie and Kelton were recently in the snow...do they take someone along specifically to get all their posed couple shots? The images seem better quality than you would get with just handing your phone to a stranger to take a quick shot.

Or are they just pretty people with good filters and can make those shots happen easily?

They must spend a shitload of time creating their content. I don't remember having that much time when I had a toddler and a baby!

Maybe they use a tripod? Actually out of all the Bateses and Duggars, those 2 seem to have the most mainstream work lives. They seem to leave the house to work and recently Josie mentioned having a babysitter at least one day a week. They also show them cooking and eating at home vs daily restaurant dinners. They seem to be managing it all pretty well. Oh to be so young and energetic.

• Upvote 6

11 minutes ago, ToriAmos said:

The kid ones I get, but Josie and Kelton were recently in the snow...do they take someone along specifically to get all their posed couple shots? The images seem better quality than you would get with just handing your phone to a stranger to take a quick shot.

Trace’s girlfriend Lydia is a photographer. I believe Josie said that she (Lydia) took those photos.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3

1 hour ago, ToriAmos said:

Trace's girlfriend is a photographer, one who often works with Josie for Effortless Beauty shoots. She was in Colorado and she did the photo shoot. She took pictures of all the Bates who were there. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2

For anyone just really into cute toddlers, Willow is the cutest little girl in Josie’s Instagram stories right now. 

I’m so sorry about your family, sweet Willow!!!

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

For anyone just really into cute toddlers, Willow is the cutest little girl in Josie’s Instagram stories right now. 

I’m so sorry about your family, sweet Willow!!!

She is super cute, and it's totally not her fault, but whenever I look at her, all I see is a mini-Kelton.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4

So Kelton is really getting into the cooking thing, apparently watching a lot of Gordon Ramsey and Josie is talking about how soothing his voice is. Ummmm, LOL Gordon is soothing? Talk about selective watching!

• Haha 14

37 minutes ago, Smoochie said:

So Kelton is really getting into the cooking thing, apparently watching a lot of Gordon Ramsey and Josie is talking about how soothing his voice is. Ummmm, LOL Gordon is soothing? Talk about selective watching!

Good for fundy dude for embracing cooking, though.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 7

50 minutes ago, Smoochie said:

I was shocked to hear GR’a voice described as soothing. The man is always screaming and hurling obscenities. I must admit I have only watched his competition shows. Maybe his cooking videos are low key. Kelton is making a cheesecake today.

Yesterday Josie posted an IG story of them grocery shopping. Kelton was getting Rosemary, Dill, and another herb I can’t recall. They got living herbs to replant at home. It reminded me of my husband. I bought him an indoor hydroponic mini garden with 6 spots and he’s cooking up a storm. DD and I are enjoying Pad Kra Pao and tzatziki, plus fresh basil on our sauces.

I’m interested in the final product. 

• Upvote 7

7 minutes ago, Guanabana said:

I was shocked to hear GR’a voice described as soothing. The man is always screaming and hurling obscenities. I must admit I have only watched his competition shows. Maybe his cooking videos are low key. Kelton is making a cheesecake today.

Yesterday Josie posted an IG story of them grocery shopping. Kelton was getting Rosemary, Dill, and another herb I can’t recall. They got living herbs to replant at home. It reminded me of my husband. I bought him an indoor hydroponic mini garden with 6 spots and he’s cooking up a storm. DD and I are enjoying Pad Kra Pao and tzatziki, plus fresh basil on our sauces.

I’m interested in the final product. 

Gordon Ramsey is very different outside of his cooking shows! His videos are actually really good and he comes across as very patient. My husband loves watching him too. He explains things really well. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 6

1 hour ago, CanadianMamam said:

Gordon Ramsey is very different outside of his cooking shows! His videos are actually really good and he comes across as very patient. My husband loves watching him too. He explains things really well. 

I've seen some of his more normal shows and I get it. It's just weird how they can separate Gordon Ramsey from his competition shows. Any search of him talks about his profanity & fiery temper, that's all. 

I pegged them for more of a Pioneer Woman type follower.

• Upvote 5

48 minutes ago, Smoochie said:

I've seen some of his more normal shows and I get it. It's just weird how they can separate Gordon Ramsey from his competition shows. Any search of him talks about his profanity & fiery temper, that's all. 

I pegged them for more of a Pioneer Woman type follower.

My now 14 y/o can’t stand Pioneer Woman. We watch Food Network a lot, and my girl is used to their usual hosts. I have a bad habit of turning on the TV for white noise. 

One Saturday morning my daughter came downstairs while I was working on my computer.

Girl: MAMA, WHY ARE YOU WATCHING THIS TRASH???

Me: (No clue what was on). Trash? I don’t watch trash (yes I do).

Girl: That woman is SO fake, and her recipes are crap. 

Funny thing is PW has a line of kitchen essentials. My daughter laughs and says they are for the 70-90 year old crowd. 

We are going to check GR’s cooking videos.

Is there an edit feature? I made a typo I’d like to correct.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2

41 minutes ago, Guanabana said:

My now 14 y/o can’t stand Pioneer Woman. We watch Food Network a lot, and my girl is used to their usual hosts. I have a bad habit of turning on the TV for white noise. 

One Saturday morning my daughter came downstairs while I was working on my computer.

Girl: MAMA, WHY ARE YOU WATCHING THIS TRASH???

Me: (No clue what was on). Trash? I don’t watch trash (yes I do).

Girl: That woman is SO fake, and her recipes are crap. 

Funny thing is PW has a line of kitchen essentials. My daughter laughs and says they are for the 70-90 year old crowd. 

We are going to check GR’s cooking videos.

Is there an edit feature? I made a typo I’d like to correct.

I actually have the PW miniature Dutch ovens and I love them for th size but damn the pattern is tacky. However they are so convenient for small dishes or individual servings. 

• Upvote 2

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic