IGNORED

Katie & Travis 2: Here Comes Yet Another Bates Young Bride

nelliebelle1197

On 5/19/2021 at 3:03 AM, eljayem said:

oops meant Kelly

When did that happen?

My 600 square foot, $250k NJ home would like a word.... really, though, that southern chunk (especially south-western chunk) of the state are just in their own little world. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

On 5/21/2021 at 8:57 PM, AliceInFundyland said:

When did that happen?

It was a few years after Michaela's and Brandon's marriage they were a bit more open about fertility issues and getting tests done and stuff and Kelly was explaining her reaction. It was in an episode of their show but I don't actually have access to full episodes so it was in one of the clips UPTV put out.

• Upvote 4

On 5/15/2021 at 8:07 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

And they go to expensive restaurants and fly down to the Florida keys for a proposal. 

Was this something that was filmed? If so, they probably didn't pay for it themselves.

• Upvote 3

On 5/17/2021 at 3:27 PM, Mom to Nell said:

I would be surprised if the Clark’s didn’t use some form of birth control. Married over 20 years, with only 3?

My experience growing up in an evangelical church and Christian school after 4th grade, most families had 2 to 4 kids, often with 2 to 3 years between births.  At the school there were a lot of Baptist families and I suspect a few were Quiverfull (6 or more with less than 2 years in between and maxi dresses on the girls). Most of those left the school after the hemline was raised to 2 inches above the knee and the rest left after girls could wear pants (early 1970’s). Oh the horror! ?

Hopefully Travis can hold out against the Kelly pressure. After all, it's his decision, not Katie's, right Kelly? The man is the head of the house, blah, blah, blah.

My friends are conservative Catholics and use only natural family planning. Her parents did the same and had only three kids. They are done at two. It’s possible if the woman is super diligent at charting her temperature, testing for fertility etc. While I personally am not opposed to the snip-snip method of family planning once a couple is done, using hormones (if the woman can safely take them) or barrier methods, some couples can make other methods work. 
Another friend got violently ill from the pill and had rages so she relies on barrier methods. Apparently it happens more often than I thought that people react badly to the pill. A colleague got blood clots from it. 

• Upvote 8
  • Eyeroll 1

10 hours ago, Expectopatronus said:

My friends are conservative Catholics and use only natural family planning. Her parents did the same and had only three kids. They are done at two. It’s possible if the woman is super diligent at charting her temperature, testing for fertility etc. While I personally am not opposed to the snip-snip method of family planning once a couple is done, using hormones (if the woman can safely take them) or barrier methods, some couples can make other methods work. 
Another friend got violently ill from the pill and had rages so she relies on barrier methods. Apparently it happens more often than I thought that people react badly to the pill. A colleague got blood clots from it. 

I can't take hormonal birth control, it makes me violently ill. But I do have a very reliable cycle, so my husband and I successfully used the charting method before we got married and between our kids and then he got a vasectomy. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

My mom and dad (Catholic) did not use birth control. They had 5 kids during the ages of 25-37. We are all 22mos-3years apart, naturally. At 37 they told my mom she could not have more children and be healthy, so my dad got a vasectomy. My own plan is similar to theirs (but not for religious reasons). I just want my husband to get the snip after 4 kids instead of 5 lol. 

• Upvote 3

TMI about my contraception and sex life

Spoiler

Hormonal bc works *too well* for me (pills or IUD) in that it completely kills my sex drive and makes everything dry as a bone. I am currently transitioning to fertility tracking. Hubby and I don't want kids YET, but do want them, so an oops wouldn't be like the worst worst thing, but we will still take it very seriously with temp tracking, charts, the whole thing. Penetrative sex is still an area of work for us though (boo for hypertonic pelvic floor muscles), so it would still take an act of God at this point. Here's hoping I let FJ know in a few years that it worked for us! 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 17

It's weird to me how unpopular IUDs are in the U.S. They are nearly ubiquitous in most of Asia, and in my experience, they are far superior to any other form of birth control.

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, FrumpyAtheist said:

It's weird to me how unpopular IUDs are in the U.S. They are nearly ubiquitous in most of Asia, and in my experience, they are far superior to any other form of birth control.

Many Americans think that they’re dangerous. Personal injury attorneys run ads encouraging past IUD users to sue the manufacturers.

• Upvote 8
  • WTF 1

This is only anecdotal evidence, but the only people I know who have IUDs described the process as horrifying pain (blacking out on the train ride home from doctor, fainting while driving out of the parking lot and almost crashing car, throwing up from cramping, etc). This is probably from 10 women I know. 

anyways, I’m at the age and life position where most of my friends are just quitting birth control and hoping they don’t get pregnant. The positive side effects (no acne, bigger boobs) don’t matter anymore and pregnancy is no longer worst case scenario. Meanwhile the negatives (depression, low libido, headaches, etc) are more intrusive. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I think IUDs are pretty popular in Canada. I had one and loved it. Wished I got it sooner! I'm planning on getting another the minute they let me (8 weeks postpartum).

The insertion hurt, but not more than 3 years of bad periods.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

My iud experience wasn’t a great one. I had super bad cramps. Only kept it in for a year and a half. I really like the shot. 

I’ve never had an IUD. Probably because my friend complained about hers and it seemed like a hassle. 

• Upvote 1

Iuds are pretty common here in Australia, I have not heard any horror stories. One friend said it was very painful to put in but the results are worth it. 

I am not sexually active but I would consider one if I was. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

I think IUDs are pretty popular in Canada. I had one and loved it. Wished I got it sooner! I'm planning on getting another the minute they let me (8 weeks postpartum).

The insertion hurt, but not more than 3 years of bad periods.

Two paracetamols and a cup of tea after insertion and I was good to go. No bother, no more horrible periods, no more iron injections required. It gave me a whole new life. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 2

I took the mini-pill to ease menstrual flow and fatigue. It did help with that. It also caused pronounced hair thinning that I haven't fully recovered from 3 months after stopping. A word of caution about the mini-pill.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Many Americans think that they’re dangerous. Personal injury attorneys run ads encouraging past IUD users to sue the manufacturers.

Yeah, I think this is a big part of it. As an American, I think I only know 1 or 2 women who have had IUDs. The pill (in its various forms) seems to be very popular here compared to some other countries. I had the Nexplanon arm implant and loved it- I felt more comfortable doing that instead of an IUD (it's a little freaky to be able to feel it under the skin and yes I was frequently waving my arm at friends asking if they wanted to feel it, lol). I'm not on hormonal BC currently and wow, my period is a huge pain when left to its own devices! 

• Upvote 7

When I was first looking into birth control (so Almost 20 years ago), IUD)’s had a reputation as being painful but also having possible impact on long term fertility, so women who hadn’t had kids were discouraged from getting them.

• Upvote 3

I've never been on birth control, other than barrier methods and/or temping, but it looks like I'll have to go on some form soon due to a new medication totally messing up my cycle. I hope it will work out but I'm worried about side effects.

• Upvote 3

As an American, I know many many women with IUDs. But I'm a physician and obviously a skewed demographic haha. 100% in favor of everyone who wants long-acting reversible contraception being able to get it! and I tend to favor IUD (progesterone) > depo-Provera > nexplanon/implant >>>> nonhormonal IUD lol

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

I was on the pill in my early 20's and I hated it. I lost my libido nearly completely and looking back I realized my depression started in this time.
When I quit taking the pill (about nine years ago) my period cramps became so worse that I had to throw up and lived on ibuprofen for days. In the first two years after the pill, my body changed and eventually, a few more years later, I was diagnosed with PCOS.
I know a lot of people don't have any complications with the pill, but for me it was a horror trip. Besides that I used to smoke until I got pregnant and the combination of cigarettes and the pill can be really dangerous when it comes to thrombosis. Something my OBGYN back then failed to mention.

I can really recommend the diaphragm as a barrier method when you are in a serious relationship.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

Mini-pill (desogestrel pill) 

I am on the mini pill, and I love it. I have had no side effects, except for my period stopping completely, which is amazing, because I had long, heavy and really painful periods, and I would get so angry the day before and the first day of my period. 

I chose the mini pill, because there was only one type of hormone, and smokers, people over 35 and people who are breastfeeding could take it. I thought that was an advantage. Made it sound less scary. There has been no problems whatsoever, not a single side effect. 

With this particular brand of mini pill, you need to take it within a 12 hour window, which is good, so on the very off occasion that I forget it before work, I just take it when I get home. 

Morning after pill

A couple of times I took my mini pill 13 hours late, and decided to take a morning after pill. The pharmacist warned me about the different side effects, that I could get tired for weeks, nauseous, cramps. But nothing. No side effects. 

Edited by SorenaJ
  • Upvote 4

10 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

When I was first looking into birth control (so Almost 20 years ago), IUD)’s had a reputation as being painful but also having possible impact on long term fertility, so women who hadn’t had kids were discouraged from getting them.

20 years ago, were the IUDs only made of copper? The newer ones have low doses of hormones. I can attest I got knocked up a week or so after getting mine removed! The doctor told me that could happen and I was pretty skeptical.

• Upvote 4

Katie does not know how to cook. Why am I not surprised? Some of the younger daughters seem to have managed to avoid cooking as one of their chores. For the couples meal around “I love you day”, Esther and Nathan cook but are leaving for church relying on Katie and Travis to take the chicken out of the oven and to do something with the potatoes. Katie is so horrified/ terrified that you might have thought that she was being asked to perform brain surgery. She actually says that she doesn’t even know what beaters are (in a culinary sense). This is a video clip shown on Ellie’s blog. I really hope that Katie and Travis learn the basics of cooking before December. Katie could visit big sister Erin and learn from her. Who is cooking for the Bates now? Gil- nope, Kelly, no, Lawson & Trace unlikely. That leaves Warden who I think used to visit Erin because he liked cooking and Addee and Ellie. They are so pro homemaking but lack the skills to properly look after a large family. I don’t know why this surprised me but it did. I thought that Katie’s claims of being unable to cook were false modesty but after that video clip I’m fairly sure that she really has no idea at all. 

• Upvote 16
  • Love 3

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic