IGNORED

Katie & Travis 2: Here Comes Yet Another Bates Young Bride

nelliebelle1197

All Katie is thinking about is staying pretty for Travis. Cooking is last on her list. Well all of her brother in laws are alive and doing good, so Travis will just have to live off love for a while. What exactly do these girls learn at home ALL day while growing up??

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

The Bates probably eat out a lot more with their social media money, huge change financially from United Bates of America times

• Upvote 9

18 minutes ago, Tangy Bee said:

All Katie is thinking about is staying pretty for Travis. Cooking is last on her list. Well all of her brother in laws are alive and doing good, so Travis will just have to live off love for a while. What exactly do these girls learn at home ALL day while growing up??

Cleaning and wiping asses probably took up a good bit of their time. At least the grown Bateses appear to be tidy housekeepers, which is something. The grown Duggars, nope. For the life of me I can’t figure out aside from being joyfully available, what household skills Michelle and JB imparted on any of their daughters. Well, I guess Jana can do home Reno stuff.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, Angelface said:

Katie does not know how to cook. Why am I not surprised? Some of the younger daughters seem to have managed to avoid cooking as one of their chores. For the couples meal around “I love you day”, Esther and Nathan cook but are leaving for church relying on Katie and Travis to take the chicken out of the oven and to do something with the potatoes. Katie is so horrified/ terrified that you might have thought that she was being asked to perform brain surgery. She actually says that she doesn’t even know what beaters are (in a culinary sense). This is a video clip shown on Ellie’s blog. I really hope that Katie and Travis learn the basics of cooking before December. Katie could visit big sister Erin and learn from her. Who is cooking for the Bates now? Gil- nope, Kelly, no, Lawson & Trace unlikely. That leaves Warden who I think used to visit Erin because he liked cooking and Addee and Ellie. They are so pro homemaking but lack the skills to properly look after a large family. I don’t know why this surprised me but it did. I thought that Katie’s claims of being unable to cook were false modesty but after that video clip I’m fairly sure that she really has no idea at all. 

I am guessing Katie will follow Alyssa's example of fast and easy (and unhealthy) food. 

• Upvote 13

Honestly, chicken fingers and prefab blueberry muffin mix is probably more caloricly balanced than what she ate growing up. 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

I had an inverted uterus (removed now) so the iud wasn't an option for me.

It's rather remarkable how quickly you can run the gamut of birth control options.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

For someone whose only prospect in life is to be a homemaker, they sure are unprepared. 

Mama was too busy to teacher and prepare anyone or anything- 19 kids/24 hours in a day. Plus, they eliminated the village. Idiots.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

On 6/4/2021 at 9:04 AM, SorenaJ said:

Morning after pill

A couple of times I took my mini pill 13 hours late, and decided to take a morning after pill. The pharmacist warned me about the different side effects, that I could get tired for weeks, nauseous, cramps. But nothing. No side effects. 

I had to take the morning after pills and it was a horror trip each time.

I'm glad you had no side effects!

• Upvote 2
  • Love 3

8 minutes ago, ophelia said:

I had to take the morning after pills and it was a horror trip each time.

I'm glad you had no side effects!

That's awful! 

I saw a post from a woman about how all males should have a vasectomy to prevent all unwanted pregnancies, and have their sperm frozen. Would be expensive, but damn, she did have a point. Would save people from a lot of nasty side effects from birth control and morning after pills. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 2

4 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

That's awful! 

I saw a post from a woman about how all males should have a vasectomy to prevent all unwanted pregnancies, and have their sperm frozen. Would be expensive, but damn, she did have a point. Would save people from a lot of nasty side effects from birth control and morning after pills. 

Maybe it's too radical, but it's not a bad idea. No unwanted pregnancies! No women on hormones, no abortions, etc. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

I think women should be able to sue men who don't use birth control for assault if she gets pregnant. Why is it only the woman's responsibility to prevent pregnancy? I know there have been drug trials in India and elsewhere of drugs for men that temporarily block the vas deferens, like a gel injection. I really wish that would take off and come to market.

• Upvote 7

34 minutes ago, FrumpyAtheist said:

I think women should be able to sue men who don't use birth control for assault if she gets pregnant. Why is it only the woman's responsibility to prevent pregnancy? I know there have been drug trials in India and elsewhere of drugs for men that temporarily block the vas deferens, like a gel injection. I really wish that would take off and come to market.

Not in this country. Too many white men who wouldn’t know what to do if they couldn’t tell women what to do with their bodies.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

19 hours ago, Jigsaw3 said:

Here's the twitter thread @SorenaJ referenced on abortion and vasectomies, in easily digestible blog form:

http://designmom.com/twitter-thread-abortion/

Gabrielle Blair (Design Mom) is a Mormon but very very liberal these days, and this is a great perspective on the debates.

I remember that great article! It should be read by all men!

• Upvote 4

NM

Edited by AliceInFundyland

On 6/3/2021 at 6:53 PM, GoddessOfVictory said:

I've never been on birth control, other than barrier methods and/or temping, but it looks like I'll have to go on some form soon due to a new medication totally messing up my cycle. I hope it will work out but I'm worried about side effects.

Been on the generic form of Yaz since 2006. Love it. Swear by it. Gave Nexplanon a shot just before I aged off my parents insurance, but hated it, and thankfully live in a state that has mandatory coverage for birth control. Went back on Yaz and haven't looked back.

Light periods, way less moodiness/PMS, clear skin, I'll be on it until I hit menopause even if Mr. Funderpants gets the snip. I'm not aware of experiencing any negative side effects; I'll usually miss a period or two a year, and I always test just incase, but that's it. I've never had it fail.

Birth control is notorious for affecting everyone differently, but I would highly recommend giving Yaz a shot.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

Saw a few photos of the Clark family vacation. Don't ya'll think it's weird that Mike's fiance can touch Mike's dad...and not him?? I'm sorry, but this no touching is bugging the shit out of me. Have any of the fans, brought this question up on BUB? I know we are not the only people noticing. Just curious about whose idea it was. Got a feeling it's the Clarks.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

On 5/22/2021 at 3:30 PM, Casserole said:

My 600 square foot, $250k NJ home would like a word.... really, though, that southern chunk (especially south-western chunk) of the state are just in their own little world. 

Yeah, I was wondering why that poster was generalizing Jersey like that!

• Upvote 2

On 6/12/2021 at 10:10 AM, nelliebelle1197 said:

Yeah, I was wondering why that poster was generalizing Jersey like that!

It was me :) I'm happy to explain why I generalized! I do understand there are exceptions and not all of NJ is a suburb of a major city, but my mom was a realtor in New Jersey my whole childhood, so it's something I've been around most of my life.

My response was also in regards to a poster that says Texas real estate is more than NJ, but then specifically mentioned North Texas, which I think would be higher than the state average.

While Covid may have affected much of this, according to Zillow in 2020:

Texas: Avg home $213k, Median top tier $368k, Median bottom tier $126k

NJ: Avg home $346, Median top tier $585, Median bottom tier $205k

Obviously there may is a house that Travis Clark can afford in New Jersey that costs less than an FJer's house in Texas. But on average, New Jersey is known for some of the top real estate in the country.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

On 6/12/2021 at 6:54 AM, Tangy Bee said:

Saw a few photos of the Clark family vacation. Don't ya'll think it's weird that Mike's fiance can touch Mike's dad...and not him?? I'm sorry, but this no touching is bugging the shit out of me. Have any of the fans, brought this question up on BUB? I know we are not the only people noticing. Just curious about whose idea it was. Got a feeling it's the Clarks.

I thought the same thing. Dad Clark is not a relative of hers. Why is it ok for him to put a hand on her shoulder but not his son, who she is marrying this summer. Is it because he’s married so they think he can’t be tempted or something?

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1

On 6/4/2021 at 3:58 PM, Angelface said:

Katie does not know how to cook. Why am I not surprised? Some of the younger daughters seem to have managed to avoid cooking as one of their chores. For the couples meal around “I love you day”, Esther and Nathan cook but are leaving for church relying on Katie and Travis to take the chicken out of the oven and to do something with the potatoes. Katie is so horrified/ terrified that you might have thought that she was being asked to perform brain surgery. She actually says that she doesn’t even know what beaters are (in a culinary sense). This is a video clip shown on Ellie’s blog. I really hope that Katie and Travis learn the basics of cooking before December. Katie could visit big sister Erin and learn from her. Who is cooking for the Bates now? Gil- nope, Kelly, no, Lawson & Trace unlikely. That leaves Warden who I think used to visit Erin because he liked cooking and Addee and Ellie. They are so pro homemaking but lack the skills to properly look after a large family. I don’t know why this surprised me but it did. I thought that Katie’s claims of being unable to cook were false modesty but after that video clip I’m fairly sure that she really has no idea at all. 

I watched that clip couple of times. Just to torture myself I guess. Does she think playing a wimp/useless will make her cute? I was embarrassed watching this. I think Travis was too ?

Edited by fish_ca
Trying to find right word
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

How do so many kids in that family (who are home all day homeschooling) not know how to cook?

Years ago, Alissa was very stressed out, having to cook for 40-ish people when the Duggars visited the Bates family. I'm wondering if the younger kids actively avoided learning how to cook so as not to be the overworked kid who got stuck doing all the cooking. Obviously, if all the older kids learned how to cook, then there would be a reasonable, manageable rotation each week. 

I find Katie exhausting. She turned a simple situation into something unnecessarily frantic and chaotic. It's going to get old very quickly for Travis if everything is a crisis...

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

Kids need to at least be taught the basics when it comes to cooking. At 11 I had made my moms homemade chicken soup with her so many times I could teach anyone how to make it. My dad, who only knew how to make eggs and grilled cheese, would ask me to walk him through it. Preparing kids for being a wife and mother usually requires teaching them to cook and sew. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic