IGNORED

Katie & Travis 2: Here Comes Yet Another Bates Young Bride

nelliebelle1197

What are they going to do for storylines when everyone is married off?

Edited by nelliebelle1197
  • Thank You 4

No offense, but Katie is not a child bride at all. Child brides are a terrible reality and I feel a uncomfortable joking about that.

• Upvote 21
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, Melissa1977 said:

No offense, but Katie is not a child bride at all. Child brides are a terrible reality and I feel a uncomfortable joking about that.

I agree. Katie is 20, and while I personally think that's too young to make lifelong decisions (especially in view of her upbringing), it is a perfectly normal age for getting married. She is a legal adult, even if her mental age may be significantly younger.

Edited by Nothing if not critical
  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 9

I think there are lesser known fundies that do marry off their daughters before their 18th birthday. If Kelly and Gil weren’t in the public eye, I would not be surprised at all if they married a daughter off at 16 or 17 if a daughter got pregnant. Even if they think the couple is a bad match. 

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

No worries. I feel like they are children not because of age but because of maturity and abilities.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

• nelliebelle1197 changed the title to Katie & Travis 2: Here Comes Yet Another Bates Young Bride
3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think there are lesser known fundies that do marry off their daughters before their 18th birthday. If Kelly and Gil weren’t in the public eye, I would not be surprised at all if they married a daughter off at 16 or 17 if a daughter got pregnant. Even if they think the couple is a bad match. 

Yes, child brides DO run in these fundie circles (not sure if Kelly & Gil directly associate with such people but at this point I wouldn't be surprised). Like Maranatha Owen, who was 13 when her father's 26-year-old mentee said Maranatha was so beautiful that she became a distraction for him, but her father's was response was that THEY SHOULD GET MARRIED. He wanted to wait until she was "ready" and he sent her away to live with someone else, and he made her get ready for a wedding every freaking night for 3 months straight until he gave his "blessing" to the mentee to come and marry her in a surprise wedding - at which time Marantha was 15 and the mentee (I can't remember his name, I'm sorry) was 28!!!! Then they had a daughter together who they married off at 16 to a 26 year old man!! And he had been interested in their daughter "for several years." ? This is the Christian homeschool community and especially back in the '80s it was small. Even as recent as 2014, Maranatha and her gross husband were speakers at homeschooling conferences 

• Upvote 10
  • Disgust 9
  • WTF 3
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I changed it to young bride. I understand your issue.

Edited by nelliebelle1197
  • Upvote 8
  • Thank You 6

I think JB and Michelle wouldn't have had issues marrying Justin and Joy off at 17. I think it was largely PR issues that kept them from doing so. 

• Upvote 18
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

On 5/8/2021 at 4:41 PM, Pecansforeveryone said:

I think JB and Michelle wouldn't have had issues marrying Justin and Joy off at 17. I think it was largely PR issues that kept them from doing so. 

Didn't Josiah Duggar and Marjorie Jackson start courting right after she turned 17?  They most likely would have married before she turned 19. Lucky for both of them, they broke it off. Otherwise they'd probably be expecting baby #3 by now. [And Marge would not have a college degree]

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Tori was the last daughter to have a wedding in Dec. Actually surprised Katie is waiting later in the year.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

I’m glad they aren’t marrying this summer. They are so young. I’m wondering if she was forced to push it back because it’s the third wedding in the Clark family in a year. At least she will be 21 when they marry. Travis will be 20.5.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 15
  • I Agree 4

Well, at least that means she’ll be 22 when the first baby comes along. Is Travis finishing his sophomore or junior year? Trying to figure out if he’ll graduate “college” before they become parents. 

Katie also answered who her bridesmaids will be. “Only” six, and sounds like Willow will be the only flower girl. She also said their wedding colors are black and white. Can’t really imagine what that will look like. We shall see!

C8F3DC90-9484-49DE-8C81-91AB4CDF47B5.png

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 12

11 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m wondering if she was forced to push it back because it’s the third wedding in the Clark family in a year.

She’s probably remembering how hot Josie and Carlin’s weddings were in October and May and doesn’t want to be a sweaty, frizzy mess.

9 hours ago, JillyO said:

She also said their wedding colors are black and white. Can’t really imagine what that will look like. We shall see!

C8F3DC90-9484-49DE-8C81-91AB4CDF47B5.png

My aunt had a black and white wedding in the early 90s. It was very trendsetting at the time because everyone else was still doing pastels and poofy sleeves and her bridesmaids wore fitted black, sheath dresses with a white off-shoulder collar thing at the neckline (not exactly sure how to describe it) and carried single red roses. It was very elegant and romantic. Katie must be going for a formal vibe.

• Upvote 10

I think Katie will go with a very classy look. The Clarks have money and will likely contribute to the wedding. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

2 hours ago, DalmatianCat said:

a white off-shoulder collar thing at the neckline (not exactly sure how to describe it) 

That’s called a bateau neckline. Meghan Markle loves them. In Lady Colin Campbell’s snooty book about her, one of the many minor violations of clothing rules that she dings Meghan for is that bateau necklines are supposedly a marker of formal evening wear, and yet Meghan wears them in daytime. 

• Upvote 6
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Thank You 1

It's been awhile ago now, but I vaguely recall reading the Clark's college handbook. Did it have something in it like other Christian colleges that don't allow mid-semester marriage? I feel like it's common that you have to do weddings during breaks. 

I think Travis is finishing his sophomore year and will be a Junior when they marry. I don't think we know how long his program is. 

My wedding party was in black and white. We had some blue decorations, but I just wanted the bridesmaids to wear a little black dress that they already owned or if they bought one for the wedding have something that could really be re-worn. 

Pic of bridesmaids with my husband in spoiler

Spoiler

119.thumb.jpg.2e22128ef949f5345a2e5cf9525822e6.jpg

• Upvote 12
  • Love 10

1 hour ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

one of the many minor violations of clothing rules that she dings Meghan for is that bateau necklines are supposedly a marker of formal evening wear, and yet Meghan wears them in daytime. 

*...clutches pearls and reclines on fainting couch...*

On 5/8/2021 at 1:06 PM, meep said:

at which time Maranatha was 15 and the mentee (I can't remember his name, I'm sorry) was 28!!!!

These two yahoos (Maranatha & Matthew Chapman) now own Premier CrossFit in Tyler, Texas.  Looks like their son, Ezra, is one of the trainers. 

Interesting to me that they apparently didn't go for the mega family approach.  IIRC, They did marry off very young daughter Lauren to a guy 10 years older. Lauren stopped with just a few kids as well. 

• Upvote 10

33 minutes ago, theotherelise said:

It's been awhile ago now, but I vaguely recall reading the Clark's college handbook. Did it have something in it like other Christian colleges that don't allow mid-semester marriage? I feel like it's common that you have to do weddings during breaks. 

I think Travis is finishing his sophomore year and will be a Junior when they marry. I don't think we know how long his program is. 

I think Travis made a comment on the show that he will graduate in 3 years? But I don't pay very close attention if it's on so I might be misremembering. 

• Upvote 6

Yeah Travis said he's graduating in 3y, so next summer I think. 

I could see them going for the classy black-tie winter wedding aesthetic, with the smaller wedding party, could see the bridesmaids rocking the little-black-dress to Katie's white and groom/groomsmen in tuxedo. 

Edited by ihaveanexamintwodays
  • Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1

6 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think Katie will go with a very classy look. The Clarks have money and will likely contribute to the wedding. 

How do we know the Clarks have money. You really can't judge from a house. Is there other evidence they are wealthy? I thought they made money from their singing group--alone, that's not a ticket to wealth.

Also, having money does not mean you will make classy choices. Katie shows no signs of having any class at all. She is the most immature of the Bates women, by far.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 3
  • Move Along 1
  • Eyeroll 4

17 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

How do we know the Clarks have money. You really can't judge from a house. Is there other evidence they are wealthy? I thought they made money from their singing group--alone, that's not a ticket to wealth.

Also, having money does not mean you will make classy choices. Katie shows no signs of having any class at all. She is the most immature of the Bates women, by far.

The family owns a big church and other things affiliated with it like the Bible college Travis attends. 

• Upvote 16

A former church member claims that big white house was gifted to the Clark family from their church. But somebody has extra money because Katie & Travis appear to be fond of matching Polo Bear sweatshirts. And those sweatshirts are not cheap...even at a outlet.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Tangy Bee said:

A former church member claims that big white house was gifted to the Clark family from their church. But somebody has extra money because Katie & Travis appear to be fond of matching Polo Bear sweatshirts. And those sweatshirts are not cheap...even at a outlet.

Reminds me of the series The Greenleafs. 

• Upvote 3

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic