IGNORED

William & Kate

viii

6 hours ago, FluffySnowball said:

With all due respect, that’s nonsense. No one in their right mind compares public servants to the BRF just cause they all are “taxpayer funded”. There’s such a vast difference everyone is aware of, a comparison makes no sense. The RBF looks back at a legacy of centuries of exploitation, theft, and oppression that caused their wealth to accumulate. Civil servants don’t have such a sinister history - and hence not nearly the amount of money and properties. 

ETA: to me, inheriting isn’t the problem, never rightfully working for the wealth at their disposal is. And the wealth the BRF has comes from slavery, colonialism, and exploitation among others, and has never been deserved, neither in history nor now. That’s where I see the problem. Slaves and peasants died at times horrible deaths so that the queen and her princes, princesses, dukes and duchesses can place their bums on cozy pillows so to speak. 

Well, you could easily argue that the structures that employ public servants today are build on the same pillars. (Everyone living in Western Stares benefits from it. Because it’s the fundament of how we life today and part of the reason we can afford to look critical at it and make changes.) Same goes for the class divide and the unfair distribution/access to resources. The people at the bottom of society still die in dire circumstances compared to the upper echelons. No matter if the stinking rich people are at the top have a title or not. I would argue that the nations without monarchies just replaced it with another hierarchy system. The top still benefits of it. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

@just_ordinary You do have a point here. Pretty much everyone living in a first world country today benefits from past and present exploitation of former colonies or poorer countries or poorer people in their own countries.

The higher your individual economic status the more you probably benefit from some form of exploitation, I guess.
So it‘s not wrong to assume that rich people, including royals, benefit from exploitation a great deal. I do think it‘s naive though to believe that the people we consider having earned their money through business do not. 

Edited by prayawaythefundie
  • Upvote 7

7 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

ETA: I would like to point out that, while there absolutely is a point in discussing the royals being overpaid, I‘m starting to take offence at the constant mantra of being paid out of taxes = not earning your money / not working. That‘s a slap in the face for everyone working in public service. Yes, I‘m personally affected. My salary is taxpayer-funded and I work for it.

There is a HUGE difference between discussing the royals and the average government employee. If you want to slap this cross on to your shoulders, that’s your burden to bear but I guarantee you that any judgement of being funded by the tax payers has nothing to do personally with you. That’s a pretty big stretch. I’m personally funded by taxpayers as well and I don’t feel personally victimized that any of this discussion is including me and my work. 

• Upvote 6

On 8/26/2022 at 11:52 PM, prayawaythefundie said:

Say their wealth comes from slavery and exploitation, if that‘s it the problem! 

Absolutely their money comes from slavery and exploitation. Nowadays, it also comes from the taxpayer.

• Upvote 3
  • Move Along 1

51 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

Absolutely their money comes from slavery and exploitation. Nowadays, it also comes from the taxpayer.

I mean, you’re not wrong. 

• Upvote 4

On 8/27/2022 at 7:12 AM, viii said:

I’m personally funded by taxpayers as well and I don’t feel personally victimized that any of this discussion is including me and my work. 

I am guessing you are not funded to the degree the royals are. Unless you also receive 100M pounds a year?  Or have a personal train to travel the country?

How funny to say the Queen and the average postal worker have anything in common. That's really grasping at straws!

• Upvote 1
  • Move Along 1
  • Eyeroll 2

43 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

I am guessing you are not funded to the degree the royals are. Unless you also receive 100M pounds a year?  Or have a personal train to travel the country?

How funny to say the Queen and the average postal worker have anything in common. That's really grasping at straws!

Well, I’ve never wanted to brag but now that you’ve mentioned it…

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1

Imagine having a second house just for staff!

If the staff prefers having their own space,  yay for them.

For the tax payers and all the late slaves who got exploited in the course of history to cover for the expenses it probably makes precious little difference whether there is a separate building or room for staff in a bigger building.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

Staff having a private space!  A nanny with a Private bedroom! The cheek! Why, she should have a sleeping bag on the floor next to the tykes  to save the tax payer!1! money.  

• Haha 10
  • Love 1

These people will insist on sleeping and eating...

It is so hard to find decent help these days.

• Haha 14
  • Love 1

On 8/30/2022 at 9:59 AM, tabitha2 said:

Staff having a private space!  A nanny with a Private bedroom! The cheek! Why, she should have a sleeping bag on the floor next to the tykes  to save the tax payer!1! money.  

Do we know she has a private bedroom? Has that been revealed? If so, that's a vast improvement over the past. Or is an assumption? It may not be a safe one.

Traditionally, royal staff have had very poor accommodations. Charles' valet slept in a Quonset-hut type structure for a number of years, and he was at the top of the servant ladder! George V's nanny had a breakdown after working three straight years without a break. So if the nanny(s) have a private bedroom apiece, I think that's great!

I think the main benefit of the attached-but-separate house is that the papers can say that the Cambridges are living in a "modest" home without live-in staff.  It implies they are mopping the floors and emptying the dishwasher. The less intelligent portion of the public can believe they're "just like us."

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 1
  • Move Along 2
  • Downvote 1

1729033814_schoolsupp.jpg.0b448fe382978f269d064e9d343698b3.jpg

God I felt sorry for the Cambridge kids here. The stares, the phones pointed at them, the sideways glances, the people frantically calling their friends, the pointing, the whispers, the people staring at them open-mouthed. They must have felt they were in a fishbowl.

Children should not be isolated. But there were ways Kate could have taken them shopping that didn't make them so vulnerable. She could have arranged to shop after-hours,  then brought the kids and a few of their friends to the store.  How much more relaxing and fun that would have been for a seven and nine year old.

But she wanted to promote the narrative that she is a "regular mom" so people will forget the private jets and fourth home. So she used her kids to promote that narrative. I hate to see children being used like that. 

Believe it or not, there are really people who will forget the fourth house and the helicopter rides, and look at this picture and say, "Aw, she's just like us."  

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 2
  • Move Along 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1

I’m quite sure that if Kate had arranged an after hours shopping trip for her children you would be on here whining about that. Along the lines of how dare she use her privilege and the poor workers who had to stay late to accommodate her.
You are boring and predictable.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 9
  • Love 5

Real talk these children absolutely need to get used to being out in public with all that entails and they do seem to be engaged and calm and friendly when out other than pulling faces. 

Plus Closing a store just for them and their little friends and having the employees work after hours would have certainly sent a certain Message to George and Charlotte about privilege. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

Here's a job posting for the Cambridges, from a few years back, when they lived in the apartment they have now discarded..

Reports to the "senior" housekeeper, eh?

“You will support the management of all housekeeping operations and pro-actively deputise for the Senior Housekeeper, being accountable in their absence,” the listing reads.

The ad invites you to join the Cambridge "team." I wonder how many British households have a "team" working for them? Not sure if your everyday mum has that.

https://royalvacancies.tal.net/vx/lang-en-GB/mobile-0/appcentre-1/brand-2/xf-b5c2aea01f42/candidate/so/pm/1/pl/4/opp/10000105-Housekeeper/en-GB

4 hours ago, Botkinetti said:

I’m quite sure that if Kate had arranged an after hours shopping trip for her children you would be on here whining about that.

Maybe so. But from the children's perspective, that would be a much better experience. And that's what really matters.

3 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Real talk these children absolutely need to get used to being out in public with all that entails and they do seem to be engaged and calm and friendly when out other than pulling faces. 

Those kids look scared and overwhelmed every time they are out. They dont' show the exuberant joy and curiosity most young kids do. George especially looks so scared. I'm sure it is scary, actually.

While it may be privileged to close a shop, it's important to put the children's best interest first. Let them have some good memories of school shopping. To be stared at like a freak is a terrible memory.

I dont' see why they "need" that right now. How would you even know what they need? It's not like they are getting to know the people in the crowds.

Imagine, adults sneaking into their aisle and snapping their pic. Perhaps they're calling, "Charlotte! Look over here!" as she tries to choose a notebook.  (They can sell those photos for a tidy sum) How distracting and deeply unhealthy.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Move Along 3
  • Confused 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Looking a bit further, it seems the Palace wants an awful lot of information about its job applicants. Including their race. This is starting to explain why the Palace is so lily-white.

They want to know the skin color of their maids, cooks and IT people.

It's no good leaving those questions blank. They state clearly that they shred incomplete applications.

As part of the recruitment process we collect and process a range of personal and sensitive data about you. The data we collect when you submit an application form includes: 

Your name, address, telephone numbers, email address, gender, date of birth, marital status, criminal history (if relevant), right to work and ID documentation, race/ethnic origin and disability (if relevant)

If you are a successful applicant, some of our on-boarding processes mean we may also collect sensitive personal data about you, for example:

 Your physical and/or mental health, pregnancy/maternity (if relevant), National Insurance number, bank details and photographs

On occasions we will ask you to provide information of third parties, for example:  Your emergency contact, pension and life insuran

The US is far from perfect, but you can't ask a person's race on a job application unless there is a legitimate business need. What legitimate business need involves someone's race? How they look in a photo?

If they care about race for their drivers and housekeepers, I am sure they care about race when it comes to their duchesses.

• Move Along 3
  • Confused 1
  • Eyeroll 1

57 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

The US is far from perfect, but you can't ask a person's race on a job application unless there is a legitimate business need. What legitimate business need involves someone's race? How they look in a photo?

Uh, I hate to break it to you but every job application I've filled out for the last 10 years has asked that. There's some sort of tax break or tax credit or something if you gather that info and prove you are getting diverse candidates.

ETA: Photo is for successful applicants -- again, every job I've had in my entire career has had an ID card of some nature, for which a photo is required.

Edited by Destiny
more words
  • Upvote 11
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Jackie3 said:

The ad invites you to join the Cambridge "team." I wonder how many British households have a "team" working for them? Not sure if your everyday mum has that.

My dearest lovely Jackie3, it's a buzzword.  Any staff of two or more can be called a "team."  It promotes the idea of working together toward a common goal, honey; surely you have been part of a team before (of course you have, pumpkin!  you always put everyone's feelings and interests first!).  Lots of employers use it, so it should surprise no one that it's being used here.  You, on the other hand, do seem a bit surprised; have you been as sheltered as the Rodlets?  ARE you a Rodlet?

49 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

Looking a bit further, it seems the Palace wants an awful lot of information about its job applicants. Including their race. This is starting to explain why the Palace is so lily-white.

They want to know the skin color of their maids, cooks and IT people.

It's no good leaving those questions blank. They state clearly that they shred incomplete applications.

If they care about race for their drivers and housekeepers, I am sure they care about race when it comes to their duchesses.

Re:  the bolded--um, Jackie3, sweetie, darling, the Palace is not in the US....... 

But then, you are an expert on British HR practices and labor laws, so we all defer and bow down to your amazingness and superiority and infinite knowledge of everything! 💗💓💕  I love you!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 12

2 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

Imagine, adults sneaking into their aisle and snapping their pic. Perhaps they're calling, "Charlotte! Look over here!" as she tries to choose a notebook.  (They can sell those photos for a tidy sum) How distracting and deeply unhealthy.

And you don't think Archie and Lilibet will suffer from that in the US? The US has just as many issues with the media and tabloids. Celebrity children and royalty children aren't really all that different, and I think Archie and Lilibet will have an even worse time than their Cambridge cousins because they are unfortunately the product of both celebrity and royalty. There is massive interest in them already and it will likely continue to grow. I'm not sure how idyllic their life in California will be when Archie can't even go to the dollar store to get a snack.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

Do we know she has a private bedroom? Has that been revealed? If so, that's a vast improvement over the past. Or is an assumption? It may not be a safe one.

Traditionally, royal staff have had very poor accommodations. Charles' valet slept in a Quonset-hut type structure for a number of years, and he was at the top of the servant ladder! George V's nanny had a breakdown after working three straight years without a break. So if the nanny(s) have a private bedroom apiece, I think that's great!

I think the main benefit of the attached-but-separate house is that the papers can say that the Cambridges are living in a "modest" home without live-in staff.  It implies they are mopping the floors and emptying the dishwasher. The less intelligent portion of the public can believe they're "just like us."

The number of people who think the Cambridges are mopping their floors:

Zero.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

The number of people who think the Cambridges are mopping their floors:

Zero.

Honestly if I can manage to work out things financially once I move into the new house I'm not going to be mopping my floors if I can help it, either. I'm hoping I can afford someone to come in and do that every other week or whatever and I'll let the robot vacuum run the rest of the time so I only have to spot clean floors. 

And I'm nowhere near royalty, I'm not even well off. I just hate mopping floors and if I can scrape up enough cash to pay someone to do it, I will. Even if it's my friend's daughter who is saving up for a car who I pay to come in and run the steamer and wash the dishes or whatever. 

• Upvote 9

4 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

Including their race. This is starting to explain why the Palace is so lily-white.

Really standard question for most jobs (and other things) in the UK, along with disability, gender and sexuality questions. Used to collect data to try and avoid bias. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Destiny said:

Uh, I hate to break it to you but every job application I've filled out for the last 10 years has asked that. There's some sort of tax break or tax credit or something if you gather that info and prove you are getting diverse candidates.

ETA: Photo is for successful applicants -- again, every job I've had in my entire career has had an ID card of some nature, for which a photo is required.

https://www.eeoc.gov/pre-employment-inquiries-and-race#:~:text=In general%2C it is assumed,business need for such information.

• Move Along 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Other than a few ancient cousins She does not have many contemporary’s left and that age every minute spent with your family esp.the younger ones is special plus  Reminiscing with her children and older grandchildren about her mother and grandad Phillip and all their memories they made together probably gives her joy. Also I suspect she has a lot she wants to tell William about Kingship, how to be a parent and and monarch at once, tricks to dealing with politicians, Etc.    

• Upvote 5

53 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

No one has asked how often she wants visitors, and which ones she wants.

Ah here we go again.  You have special insider knowledge of who has talked to the Queen and what they've talked about?  No?!  I didn't think so.  For all we know she's thrilled to have William, Kate, and the children close by.  I'm sure if she doesn't want to see more of them, she can let them know she's busy.  I do expect she'd like to talk about kingship with William a bit more or about his grandfather orr whatever else is on her mind on a regular basis.

31 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

Other than a few ancient cousins She does not have many contemporary’s left and that age every minute spent with your family esp.the younger ones is special plus  Reminiscing with her children and older grandchildren about her mother and grandad Phillip and all their memories they made together probably gives her joy. Also I suspect she has a lot she wants to tell William about Kingship, how to be a parent and and monarch at once, tricks to dealing with politicians, Etc.   

I know quite a few people in their nineties.  There isn't a one of them that doesn't appreciate a regular phone call or visit from family and friends.

• Upvote 11

• Coconut Flan locked this topic