IGNORED

William & Kate

viii

3 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

I am sure i am missing something but I don't really understand what the big deal is ? I thought The Prince of Wales is reserved for the first heir... but William was the first heir yesterday regardless of lacking the Prince of Wales title, , so what difference does it make?

They can’t use the title until it’s official. When Edward VII became king after decades as Prince of Wales, he took his time about giving the title to his son George. (I suspect he was influenced by his wife Alexandra, who was sweet but rather possessive.) George and his wife Mary were the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York for over nine months, during which they did a major foreign tour.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, 47of74 said:

Damn that was fast. I thought it would’ve been at least a few months given how Charles wasn’t named until 1958. 

It was an entirely different situation with Charles though.  He was a young man when he was eventually made Prince of Wales and Elizabeth was in her prime and he likely had years and years to go before he became King.  Which is turns out he did have decades.  There was no reason to give him the title quickly. Charles is in his seventies.  William could succeed him next week.  Plus I'm guessing Charles had a plan laid out and there was nothing to be gained by delaying making William Prince of Wales.  Charles could be delighted to have a new Princess of Wales and finally start pushing some of the Diana stuff a bit to the back and why not do it when there is so much news coverage and it won't be nearly as much of a discussion hopefully.  

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 11

2 hours ago, 47of74 said:

Damn that was fast. I thought it would’ve been at least a few months given how Charles wasn’t named until 1958. 

I feel the difference is that William is an adult while Charles was still very much a child at the time.

• Upvote 5

23 minutes ago, Seahorse Wrangler said:

I feel the difference is that William is an adult while Charles was still very much a child at the time.

Yeah that's probably it.  William is 40 years old while Charles was only 3 years old when his mother assumed the throne so that's probably why she waited until he was a bit older.

• Upvote 5

33 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

Yeah that's probably it.  William is 40 years old while Charles was only 3 years old when his mother assumed the throne so that's probably why she waited until he was a bit older.

I don't know which of those two pieces of information is weirding me out more - William is 40?! What?! Now I feel old...

As to Charles being 3 at the time QE2 became monarch - I knew intellectually that she'd been on the throne for 70 years, but that really does put it into perspective for me. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

That was the formal investiture as Prince of Wales. 

• Thank You 1

Probably sometime next year, IMHO.  Coronation in June and investiture July or August, is my MWG.

1 hour ago, Ozlsn said:

I don't know which of those two pieces of information is weirding me out more - William is 40?! What?! Now I feel old...

As to Charles being 3 at the time QE2 became monarch - I knew intellectually that she'd been on the throne for 70 years, but that really does put it into perspective for me. 

Welcome to my life.  I come across stuff all the time where I feel old.  For me it’s usually tech stuff but sometimes it’s how old some people are.  Like when my elementary school had its 50th anniversary in 2010 and I saw my 5th grade teacher again.  When I was in her class in 1985 she had a new baby boy.  Well fast forward 25 years and the new baby was a researcher working in Iowa City.  

Something just struck me too.  My parents were born during the reign of George VI (late 40s) but I don’t know how much the events of February 1952 registered with them.  They were both young children at the time and now they’re both in their 70s. I don’t know if either really expected to live long enough to see a third monarch in their lives.  It just drove home for me how long Elizabeth’s reign was. 

• Upvote 5

Another thing too. The paternal unit and Charles were born in the same year. So yeah. Feeling OLD now. 

I think my surprise at the Prince of Wales announcement came from the fact that the assession (sp?) ceremony for Charles hasn't happened yet.  I know he was King from the moment Elizabeth drew her last breath (that is so hard to type), but it didn't seem that he would be able to bestow the title yet.  Like he's not official or something.

• Upvote 1

@47of74, my mother was born in February of the Abdication year, 1936. I just realised that had she come just a couple of weeks early, she'd have been born in the reign of George V, who died on January 20th. The year of three kings. Hard to imagine it. I really wish Mom could have held on another year or so, so she could witness the Queen's funeral and then Charles's coronation. She would have loved seeing the pomp and pageantry one more time. 😢 

3 minutes ago, SoSoNosy said:

I think my surprise at the Prince of Wales announcement came from the fact that the assession (sp?) ceremony for Charles hasn't happened yet.  I know he was King from the moment Elizabeth drew her last breath (that is so hard to type), but it didn't seem that he would be able to bestow the title yet.  Like he's not official or something.

It does seem odd, doesn't it? But I've had to remind myself he was 'official' the second his mother died, even without the ceremonial trappings. Just like I have to remind myself to call him King Charles instead of Prince! 😯

• Love 4

41 minutes ago, SoSoNosy said:

Just think of it as more pomp and ceremony like the coronation.  It wouldn't really matter if they did them or not, but it's all tradition.  

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, 47of74 said:

Something just struck me too.  My parents were born during the reign of George VI (late 40s) but I don’t know how much the events of February 1952 registered with them

Just realised that my grandfather was born during the reign of one Queen and died during the reign of another - 6 monarchs in total. 1936 appears to have been an overly interesting year for the British monarchy. He also was born in one ex-British colony and died in a completely different ex-British colony on the other side of the globe, but both sides of my family have a tendency to migrate back and forth apparently.

I must ask my parents what they remember of the Coronation - both would certainly have been old enough to have some memories, but of course it was the other side of the world and I have no idea if either family had TV at that point.

I'm also guessing that William's investiture as Prince of Wales will be a few months after the coronation so they can prepare for that ceremony as well. 

• Upvote 3

Watching them at the walkabout outside Windsor was impressive. They shook so many hands, had so many conversations, I love social times with friends, but after big social engagements for my job that require lots of small talk I’m always exhausted. The crowd seemed incredibly happy to see them.

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Charles is in his seventies.  William could succeed him next week. 

Charles is active and in good health. Probably has another 20 years in him. William will probably be in his 60's when he succeeds him

These people are not waiting for NHS to call them back when they have symptoms. That's for commoners.

2 hours ago, DalmatianCat said:

Watching them at the walkabout outside Windsor was impressive. They shook so many hands, had so many conversations, I love social times with friends, but after big social engagements for my job that require lots of small talk I’m always exhausted. The crowd seemed incredibly happy to see them.

I know! They seemed happy to see all four of them. That was nice.

• Upvote 1
  • Move Along 1
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, SoSoNosy said:
  Hide contents

images.jpeg.05f8b16dcf7bb367cf642e8b46be5f1b.jpeg

For people who think William and Kate have no affection for each other.  

Smiling at the camera while holding hands? That's proof of a happy marriage? 

Both these *married couples* hold hands. One is criticized for it, one is praised. 

Supposedly there is some reason for this, besides race, but I'm not sure what that is.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Move Along 3
  • Downvote 2

I would rather look at candid shots than posed photos if I had to guess at people's level of affection based on photos and body language.  But I think with these people you're hardly ever going to get really truly candid as they are going to pose most of the time if they're out in the public, putting on a  guarded public front.  They're very aware that there are eyes on them, and even when they don't think they're being photographed they might be. 

• Upvote 7

On 9/9/2022 at 7:31 PM, 47of74 said:

Welcome to my life.  I come across stuff all the time where I feel old.  For me it’s usually tech stuff but sometimes it’s how old some people are.  Like when my elementary school had its 50th anniversary in 2010 and I saw my 5th grade teacher again.  When I was in her class in 1985 she had a new baby boy.  Well fast forward 25 years and the new baby was a researcher working in Iowa City.  

Something just struck me too.  My parents were born during the reign of George VI (late 40s) but I don’t know how much the events of February 1952 registered with them.  They were both young children at the time and now they’re both in their 70s. I don’t know if either really expected to live long enough to see a third monarch in their lives.  It just drove home for me how long Elizabeth’s reign was. 

My mother was born during WW2. She told me she remembers seeing Princess Elizabeth and her babies in Life magazine and being fascinated by the children being real life prince and princess and Anne having blonde curls. She also remembers photos and news about George VI’s death and funeral and the Queen’s coronation. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

My mother was born during WW2. She told me she remembers seeing Princess Elizabeth and her babies in Life magazine and being fascinated by the children being real life prince and princess and Anne having blonde curls. She also remembers photos and news about George VI’s death and funeral and the Queen’s coronation. 

My mom might remember when Elizabeth was still a Princess as she was born in November, 1946.  She was just a few months over five years old when George VI passed.  Dad is about nine months older than Charles.  I'll have to find out sometime if they remembered George VI at all.  Memory in early childhood can be a funny thing.  Like my grandpa who said he remembered his older brother's funeral even though grandpa was not quite a year old at the time.  My maternal grandpa died just before my 5th birthday and I remember him a little.  Given that Charles was only three when George died, it makes me wonder how much he remembers his grandpa.

Edited by 47of74

• Coconut Flan locked this topic