IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 41: Marrying off the Kidults at the Speed of Light

Coconut Flan

13 hours ago, Not that josh's mom said:

I was such a dumb young mom. The nurse handed me my son and said you can nurse him now. I said ok and did. Exclusively for ten months. Never had a problem. Now I feel incredibly lucky that it worked that way. I was so dumb that it never occurred to me that it wouldn't work. After hearing the problems and emotional toll that not being able to nurse brings to so many, I apologize for my lack of knowledge and just plain stupidity. I am so sorry that it happens to so many. Truly bless your hearts for trying. 

That story made me smile. You didn’t know you couldn’t do it so you just did it. I don’t know why it made me smile it just did. Told “off you go” and off you went. Lol. Lucky mum and lucky Bub. 

• Upvote 14
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 3

My first child was a struggle to breastfeed, my milk came in late, I couldn’t get him to latch properly, and we used nipple shields at every feed for the first four months. My second child chomped down within minutes of being born and that was it, she was feeding. When they did the check over before discharging us from the hospital they noticed an obvious tongue tie and asked if we had any issues breastfeeding, but somehow my tongue tied child was the easy one ?‍♀️ I guess it just goes to show every child is different.

• Upvote 5

On 7/14/2021 at 12:24 PM, fluffernutter said:

I am considered obese and just had knee surgery with my doctor's support. Getting the other one done early winter. I also get put under for complicated dental procedures. I have Hashimoto's and the only thing that has worked for me to lose weight is intermittant fasting. It took me three years to lose 40 pounds, and no chance of exercise (other than swimming, but that's not an option) due to bad knees. And when I did Atkins in my 20's a long time ago, for a solid month, I lost nothing. Weight issues are incredibly complicated and vary wildly from person to person. 

Intermittent fasting is one of the only things that works consistently for me as well. And I have to be diligent with it. Currently trying to lose 35 pounds I gained after I got an IUD last year (that was a bad choice). I've been back to fasting for 2 weeks and am down 5 pounds. It's sticking with it that's the hard part for me. 

• Upvote 7

The older I get and the more I learn, the more convinced I am that we should stop using weight as an indicator of health altogether. Far too many healthy overweight people who are active with good diets and struggle to lose weight, far too many overweight and obese people with eating disorders that don’t get picked up or treated because they still “need” to lose weight, and of course, plenty of sedentary binge-eating skinny people too. There’s nothing WRONG with intermittent fasting per se (as long as it truly is intermittent) but it saddens me that people feel the pressure to change their eating habits because of a hormone imbalance or medication they took that didn’t impact nutrition or heart health or blood sugar regulation, just size. Of course I recognise it’s easy to say that and much harder to actually BE an “overweight” person living life in the western world and trying to have romantic relationships and medical care and avoid workplace discrimination etc. But I also know how long I delayed getting help for my eating disorder because it took me from an “overweight” BMI into a “healthy” one and I was never underweight enough to meet the diagnostic criteria for anorexia.

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 10

37 minutes ago, Smee said:

The older I get and the more I learn, the more convinced I am that we should stop using weight as an indicator of health altogether. Far too many healthy overweight people who are active with good diets and struggle to lose weight, far too many overweight and obese people with eating disorders that don’t get picked up or treated because they still “need” to lose weight, and of course, plenty of sedentary binge-eating skinny people too. There’s nothing WRONG with intermittent fasting per se (as long as it truly is intermittent) but it saddens me that people feel the pressure to change their eating habits because of a hormone imbalance or medication they took that didn’t impact nutrition or heart health or blood sugar regulation, just size. Of course I recognise it’s easy to say that and much harder to actually BE an “overweight” person living life in the western world and trying to have romantic relationships and medical care and avoid workplace discrimination etc. But I also know how long I delayed getting help for my eating disorder because it took me from an “overweight” BMI into a “healthy” one and I was never underweight enough to meet the diagnostic criteria for anorexia.

agreed. I know with breast reduction - they're likely looking at how your body changes after weight loss and then what are you left with? But I'm pretty active (for someone who works a desk job). I try to walk as much as I can, I run a bit, I walked five miles on Sunday (it was hot - blech). 
I do want to lose weight - but I also know my body and intermittent fasting would likely have me passing out. If I don't eat in regular intervals - I will pass out (and then I'll need to eat whatever food is closest - not whatever food is the healthier choice). 

• Love 5

For me, I really needed to lose weight because of a few health reasons. First, my blood pressure was high enough to require meds. I am off of them now. Second, my HA1C levels were very close to the type 2 diabetes range, and IF helped get those down to a lower level so I could stay off diabetes medications. Third, my ortho surgeon wouldn't do my knee replacements unless I lost weight. While I was pissy that he said that, the recovery was such a challenge even after I had lost some weight that I can see the benefits of not being such a high weight while recovering from a joint replacement. 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

It’s single fundies camp time! Poor Johanna. This is held at Fort Rock each year and it’s for singles 15-25. 

844005D9-FC80-4B15-93F3-D431F314F394.jpeg

• Rufus Bless 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 8

49 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It’s single fundies camp time! Poor Johanna. This is held at Fort Rock each year and it’s for singles 15-25. 

844005D9-FC80-4B15-93F3-D431F314F394.jpeg

Oh God, she’s really got a Handmaid’s Tale vibe going on there.

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 6

johannah really is a mix of all her sisters I can see jinger jana jessa joy and jordyn in her. She is a super pretty girl, (judging book by cover and all that) Run Hannie run is that a bates boy I see at the end? Is it actually called a singles thing in the title? I would not let my under 18 attend any 15-25 thing with the word single in it. Youth group yes...who am I kidding even their youth groups set up for dating. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, AussieKrissy said:

johannah really is a mix of all her sisters I can see jinger jana jessa joy and jordyn in her. She is a super pretty girl, (judging book by cover and all that) Run Hannie run is that a bates boy I see at the end? Is it actually called a singles thing in the title? I would not let my under 18 attend any 15-25 thing with the word single in it. Youth group yes...who am I kidding even their youth groups set up for dating. 

But if you don't let them attend singles meetings when they're 15, how will they become special friends with someone so they can get engaged at 17 or 18 and married just months after? ?

• Upvote 16
  • Sad 6
  • Rufus Bless 1

Maybe I am showing my 'ignorance' or whatever, but is her outfit western themed? I get the girls in the middle with the plaid and everything, but her outfit does not seem very 'western themed' to me.

No idea what category I would put it, mind you, but it's not what comes to mind when I think of western?

I feel like two of the other girls (besides the one next to her, she seems a bit older - and by that I mean maybe 18 or 19?) would be around the same age. Does anyone know?

Yes, they have a western themed night at the “summit.” I think Johannah looks most like Jed. 

• I Agree 8

24 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yes, they have a western themed night at the “summit.” I think Johannah looks most like Jed. 

Yes!! She's Jed's clone. Her face is a little smaller/softer features and she has braids - other than that - there's Jed.

• Upvote 3

Is it normal to lump such large age ranges together? Wouldn’t it be abnormal for a 15yo to be courting even by their standards? So all 15yo would be “single?”

I’ve seen large youth events at churches but they were always categorized by appropriate age groups, i.e. 14-15,16-18,etc. You were not allowed to register if your birthday was past the cut off.

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, BensAllergies said:

Is it normal to lump such large age ranges together? Wouldn’t it be abnormal for a 15yo to be courting even by their standards? So all 15yo would be “single?”

I’ve seen large youth events at churches but they were always categorized by appropriate age groups, i.e. 14-15,16-18,etc. You were not allowed to register if your birthday was past the cut off.

I totally agree. I think it should be broken up 15-19 and 20-25. So the teens stay together and the 20s stay together in activities. 

• Upvote 7

I'm trying to picture Jennifer there in the next year or two... and just can't. I wonder how many of the Duggar offspring were required to attend some group events away from home vs attendance being purely wanted by the kids (or young adults) without JB telling them god wanted them to go?

Which Duggar sons attended ALERT?
Which Duggar daughters attended Journey to the Heart?
Did any of the oldest Duggar daughters get shipped to the creepy Bill Gothard internship thing?
What other events, where the kids/kidults go without their parents, are there?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, BensAllergies said:

TBF, a huge amount of government / social service programs use the age category of “Youth” for everyone age 16-24 . For everything from residential job training - with dorms and social activities, to shelters, to anti-gang stuff,  to summer job programs that always contain social components.

They aren’t styled as to “singles” but I think that’s more a function of that married/young people with children would still generally be eligible. 

Adding 15 in makes it sound much younger, IMO, even though it’s an arbitrary cut off. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Meggo said:

Yes!! She's Jed's clone. Her face is a little smaller/softer features and she has braids - other than that - there's Jed.

A few years back Hannie was really starting to look like Smuggar.  Thankfully she's changed.  Much better to resemble Jed.   

• I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mama Mia said:

Adding 15 in makes it sound much younger, IMO, even though it’s an arbitrary cut off. 

Maybe it's because 16 is "driver's license" age in the US? There does really feel like a difference between 15 and 16, IMO, though I'm not sure it's so much a real thing as a feeling. 

Isn't 16 basically "young adult" in the Harry Potter books? Like the age you can learn to apparate and make some of your own life decisions?

But calling it "singles" also is a little odd - it seems like by calling it that it makes it clear that the purpose of it is to make the participants no longer single. So I'd expect singles to be 18-24 or so even for fundies. Although I know some of them prefer to marry as young as possible. 

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, Bobology said:

I'm trying to picture Jennifer there in the next year or two... and just can't. I wonder how many of the Duggar offspring were required to attend some group events away from home vs attendance being purely wanted by the kids (or young adults) without JB telling them god wanted them to go?

Which Duggar sons attended ALERT?
Which Duggar daughters attended Journey to the Heart?
Did any of the oldest Duggar daughters get shipped to the creepy Bill Gothard internship thing?
What other events, where the kids/kidults go without their parents, are there?

Jenny is there this year. 

If y’all want to see a bunch of pictures, go to the discipleship summit insta. They are posting lots of pics. Duggars, Wissmanns, Bowers, Haights, Forsyths, and more.

I always thought Logan Smith could be interested in Susanna Wissmann because she’s a rare female pilot in fundieland. 

885B5574-0C17-4E7D-9CF6-63F94C535455.jpeg

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

I figured I should just start a new thread for this fundie singles camp at Fort Rock. The Instagram is posting a lot of pictures. It’s for singles age 15-25 but I spotted Jenny Duggar and Faith Seewald and they are younger than 15. The Duggars, Wissmanns, Forsyths, Seewalds, Haights and more are there. Here is the Instagram Enjoy!

https://www.instagram.com/discipleshipsummit/

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 14

They did a "registration refund" giveaway, presumably meaning that person attends for free, and the winner was "Lily S." There could be more than one Lily S. in the right age group (it was just a graphic with the name, no photo), but Dwain and Lana are also shown speaking, so my money is on Lily Swanson. It could be completely legit, but as someone who works in events, I would never have someone so closely entwined with my organization be eligible to win a prize like that. I kind of gives the appearance of being rigged if the daughter of featured speakers, who happens to be related by marriage to the owners of the camp, wins the giveaway. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

All I see looking at those pictures is a super-spreader event looking for a place to happen. So many (presumably) unvaccinated people and Delta running rampant.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Discipleship Summit for Single Young Fundies
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic