IGNORED

Seewalds 45: Ben’s a REAL Pastor at a PRECIOUS Church!

nelliebelle1197

17 hours ago, Denim Jumper said:

The quiz is uncanny: accurately pegged me as being from northern New England. Which is true, although I have lived in NY for a couple of decades now; I refuse to assimilate, lol.

It was 3 states off for me, but got the general area (the South) correct. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, FluffySnowball said:

I’m a native German speaker who has lived in NZ for a couple of years but I took the accent test (US version) regardless - after all, it’s fun.

And the result is that my accent is closest to Montgomery (Alabama) or Boston (Massachusetts). Who would have thought? ?

That's hysterical! ? It's hard to imagine two places more different than Alabama and Boston!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 5

Wow. SOLID red for Philadelphia area, so very accurate for me!

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Peaches and Pears said:

I'm Canadian (Montreal transplant but originally from Ontario. I took the American quiz and it gave me Buffalo, Rochester, and Honolulu lol! The first two make sense but never been to Hawaii!

Sounds like a good excuse to go! "Well you see, this online quiz said I speak like someone from Hawaii, so I had to come in person to see for myself. It said Honolulu but I think I'll check all the islands just to be sure..."

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 12

9 hours ago, baldricks_turnip said:

No apology necessary, and I hope I didn't cause offense with my pondering. It is always interesting to me what we consider 'incorrect' and what we consider a valid difference. On my Australian THRASS chart we have the large group of schwa sounds that Australians basically pronounce the same- doctor, soccer, banana all end in the same sound here, and we certainly don't consider that to be wrong.

No, not at all! I just went off on a bit of a tangent and didn’t want you to think it was directed at you. I too, find it very interesting that a lot of things are considered legitimate pronunciation differences, whereas others are considered inferior. It gets even more complicated when you throw in the different ways English is spoken across the world, much less variations within one country/dialect- honestly, sometimes it amazes me that we can all understand each other given the vast differences! 

I find it even more interesting that the same doesn’t necessarily hold true for all languages. I studied French in high school and college, and my French Canadian grandmother tried to have a few conversations with me, but I honestly couldn’t understand a word she said. Some of it was that it was hard enough for me to try to speak a new language, much less throw a new accent on top of it, but she explained that she also struggled to communicate with French people when she traveled to France, and they actually reverted to English frequently. Canadian French and French in France developed so differently over so many years that it’s apparently very common for native French speakers from across the Atlantic to not really be able to communicate effectively despite using the “same” language.

Language is fascinating!

• Upvote 5

Every time I take that quiz, it says Arizona. Pretty accurate since that's where I grew up! Apparently it's the only area in the US that uses the term "frontage road" rather than a colloquialism.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, indianabones said:

Every time I take that quiz, it says Arizona. Pretty accurate since that's where I grew up! Apparently it's the only area in the US that uses the term "frontage road" rather than a colloquialism.

California here- I call it a frontage road too. And all my results were California cities. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

can someone please post the quiz link, I would like to take it for funsies.

• Upvote 1

I got Illinois and Michigan.  I lived in NY state a few years, otherwise I've always lived in Iowa. Guess they are close.

• Upvote 3

As an Aussie I got all over the place sort of

Spoiler

952C1D42-8214-4D05-9C1B-8280314445B1.thumb.png.1f502ff03aab4c1f9c94faeb06a6f668.png

Spoiler

lol

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

On 3/30/2021 at 10:37 PM, Satan'sFortress said:

Funny--this morning, I just retook the "where are you from" dialect quiz. It was posted on NYT site. It is fascinating to me, because it nails me to a pinpoint of where I was born in Massachusetts. I moved to Texas at age 9, then moved again in my early 20s to the Mid-Atlantic.  I think it is very interesting that it still puts me in my birthplace, even though I lived there the shortest.  My kids get pegged to our current state, but do have little spikes of SE Massachusetts in them from me. :) 

Hope people can access these:

Dialect quiz

British/Irish version

I love this. I thought I'd be a total mish-mash because I've moved around a bit, but it's pinpointed the Yorkshire Dales, where I lived as a kid, and Bristol, where I live now. I've also lived in East Anglia and my father is from there so I'm surprised not to have much dialect from that direction.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

I love the dialect quizzes! The US one places me in different places around the south depending on what questions pop up. Sometimes it places me in TX, which I’ve never even been to, and usually it places me in Birmingham, AL, which I’ve only been to once. I don’t think South Carolina where I’m actually from has a distinct accent that the test identifies. I also took the British/Irish one and immediately got called out by it saying “You're not from around here are you?” It placed me most closely to Cambridge and London, which I thought was pretty cool.  

• Upvote 5

Jessa posted a new YouTube video finding out the gender sex of baby #4. They didn’t say what it was yet of course. I noticed that Jessa was wearing skinny black jeans instead of her regular sweat pants. I think all the girls except Anna and Kendra are going to end up wearing jeans one day. I don’t see Joy that far behind from wearing them, she already wears sweatpants. 

Spoiler

426F20FB-7849-49F5-B411-CF729449A718.thumb.jpeg.a1b745014043bf308f3c6c4526a8ca42.jpeg

C30F7034-276A-4B7A-8AFC-0963B0DD9085.thumb.jpeg.77b6790dd074499c411327d4fc487209.jpeg
0CEB6C80-C6E5-45B8-9773-132368993E64.thumb.jpeg.545d0c45e2b0559428a03455b0cb39b2.jpeg

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 5

That’s a cute look on Jessa. She’s been in the loose dresses a lot lately but they don’t really look “her”. This style looks natural on her and reminds me of the the shorter, fitted denim skirts and t-shirts she wore when she and Ben first got together.

• Upvote 17

58 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

Jessa posted a new YouTube video finding out the gender sex of baby #4. They didn’t say what it was yet of course. I noticed that Jessa was wearing skinny black jeans instead of her regular sweat pants. I think all the girls except Anna and Kendra are going to end up wearing jeans one day. I don’t see Joy that far behind from wearing them, she already wears sweatpants. 

Reveal hidden contents

426F20FB-7849-49F5-B411-CF729449A718.thumb.jpeg.a1b745014043bf308f3c6c4526a8ca42.jpeg

C30F7034-276A-4B7A-8AFC-0963B0DD9085.thumb.jpeg.77b6790dd074499c411327d4fc487209.jpeg
0CEB6C80-C6E5-45B8-9773-132368993E64.thumb.jpeg.545d0c45e2b0559428a03455b0cb39b2.jpeg

Yes, that didn't hit me until the end of the video when they were walking towards the car; Jessa's wearing pants; normal pants, for a normal outing! Anyway, after the "moment of truth" Jessa said "it's not what you guessed". And they'll find a fun way to tell the kids? If they don't want it leaking out, they've gotta be pretty quiet on social media.......oh, and gotta watch for that secret "source" that knows Crystal Ball.......

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, BullyJBG said:

Yes, that didn't hit me until the end of the video when they were walking towards the car; Jessa's wearing pants; normal pants, for a normal outing! Anyway, after the "moment of truth" Jessa said "it's not what you guessed". And they'll find a fun way to tell the kids? If they don't want it leaking out, they've gotta be pretty quiet on social media.......oh, and gotta watch for that secret "source" that knows Crystal Ball.......

Just on a personal preference note - that’s always seemed strange to me, that a woman would go from loose Dresses to form fitting pants while pregnant or when you have a baby, just seems so much more restricting and uncomfortable - to me. Again just a personal preference, nothing about their ideology around dresses as children. 

• Upvote 7
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 3

Does the video give some help to narrow down when she is due? Like even just a before X date? How far along she could be? 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, VBOY9977 said:

Reveal hidden contents

This popped up on my YouTube suggestions and I came right over to see if it was being discussed. Wow, pants on Jessa. She looks good (though I can’t help wondering how she can find time to get her hair so shiny with three small kids). 

Couldn’t help,being annoyed that they found out but didn’t share with the kids or their viewers. Sort of a “ha ha, we know but you don’t.” The kids were cute, though. When asked how you tell the difference between a boy and a girl, Henry said “girls have long hair and boys have short hair,” and Spurgeon added “girls have bows.” I couldn’t help thinking, “yeah, in your family.” 

For the record, I’m guessing boy. They’ve had a lot of girls in the past couple of years, and since I’m also guessing Jessa and Ben want a girl to be a playmate for Ivy, I wouldn’t be surprised if nature didn’t play along. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

33 minutes ago, Italiangirl said:

Does the video give some help to narrow down when she is due? Like even just a before X date? How far along she could be? 

The only thing I saw is that 1/25/21 was the ultrasound date. If it was a 20 week scan then the baby would be due in the middle of June. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

It looked like one of those boutique type ultrasound places so not an obgyn office. Does this mean that they are doing the home birth route again or maybe they just went to the boutique since an obgyn office wouldn’t allow all of them to go in? 

• Upvote 6

3 minutes ago, Whatthefundie said:

It looked like one of those boutique type ultrasound places so not an obgyn office. Does this mean that they are doing the home birth route again or maybe they just went to the boutique since an obgyn office wouldn’t allow all of them to go in? 

Yes, it’s a boutique place that does gender confirmation between 14-22 weeks. Doesn’t really help us to narrow the date. 

• Upvote 4

19 hours ago, indianabones said:

We use frontage road in Montana (and possibly WA  too, as I'm from both)

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, karen77 said:

We use frontage road in Montana (and possibly WA  too, as I'm from both)

I’ve lived in the upper Midwest all my life and have never heard it called anything other than a frontage road. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4

2 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

There was a Christmas tree in the lobby...so anywhere from Thanksgiving to January. I also think it’s a boy based on what Jessa said and their body language (facial expressions). It’s about time for a Duggar boy streak to start. 

• Upvote 5

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic