IGNORED

Seewalds 45: Ben’s a REAL Pastor at a PRECIOUS Church!

nelliebelle1197

I just took the quiz. Apparently I got Long Beach and Glendale, CA and Honolulu. I'm originally from the Bay Area, so close enough :)

• Upvote 5

On 3/28/2021 at 10:51 PM, Queen Of Hearts said:

I would 100% choose a church with Ben as the pastor over one with Jeremy as the pastor.  Ben has always seemed like he was fun, kind, relatable, patient and sincere. All qualities I feel make for a good minister.  Jeremy presents himself as the opposite.  

i agree.  I always liked Ben most of all the Duggar Sons-in laws.  I always believed he was earnest and not hateful, etc. He seems like a great dad and husband...I came from a fundie-light background so I know  how these things work, and I for sure don't agree with everything he believes, but I don't think he's a bad guy.  He was no Trump fan and saw thru that so that;s one big thing in my book. Jeremy --UGH...he's so full of himself and tries to come off as "ah shucks" but I think Ben is genuine, even if he's on a different side of some issues than me. 

• Upvote 18
  • Love 1

44 minutes ago, SongRed7 said:

Jeremy --UGH...he's so full of himself and tries to come off as "ah shucks".

Jeremy seems like the guy that you were friends with in high school and after years starts trying to "reconnect with old friend." You chat via social media and one day you meet for lunch. Once there he immediately starts talking about this "awesome business opportunity where you can be your own boss." You listen and try to be polite and ask "what business opportunity." He replies "have you heard of Amway? Have you met my career mentor? We can get you signed up now." ?

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 30
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 2

Apparently the NYTimes lied to me about which states say frontage roads.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 10

On 3/31/2021 at 11:09 AM, viii said:

I wish there was a Canadian one! 

EDIT: I found one but I'm not sure how accurate it is. It certainly got it wrong for me. It said I'm from BC. 

https://www.zoo.com/quiz/can-we-guess-where-in-canada-you-live-based-on-how-you-speak

Canadian here too. I also took the American quiz and it gave me Jersey City, New York, Yonkers. I'm from Montréal. At least it got the East coast part right. But I'd never thought I'd be a New York accent!

That being said, English is my second language (French-Canadian here). I think it's hard to really have an organic accent when you learn English through school or media (TV shows/movies).

The Canadian quiz got it right, said I was Québécois. But the quiz was a bit weird. Some of the answer were directly in French, like ''crayon de couleur'' ''Dépanneur'' and ''stationnement''. Even though I'm a French speaker, I'd never say ''crayon de couleur'' if I was speaking to an anglophone person. Same with stationnement. These are words I use yes when I think in french in my mind, but I kind of hesitated when answering, because I don't use them when I think or write in English. I use the darn translation.

ETA:

On 3/31/2021 at 2:58 PM, Ms. Brightside said:

I find it even more interesting that the same doesn’t necessarily hold true for all languages. I studied French in high school and college, and my French Canadian grandmother tried to have a few conversations with me, but I honestly couldn’t understand a word she said. Some of it was that it was hard enough for me to try to speak a new language, much less throw a new accent on top of it, but she explained that she also struggled to communicate with French people when she traveled to France, and they actually reverted to English frequently. Canadian French and French in France developed so differently over so many years that it’s apparently very common for native French speakers from across the Atlantic to not really be able to communicate effectively despite using the “same” language.

Language is fascinating!

Hmmmm on that subject, as a French Canadian who has lived in France and now lives with a French boyfriend, it's not entirely true. We can understand each other. It is the same language. If you'd see it written, there is almost no difference. Of course, we have different expressions on both sides of the Atlantic, and Québécers are known for a very different pronunciation than in France. All of that is true. We also have different language ''register'' (formal, casual, intimate, etc.). The formal Quebec french that you'd hear for example, in a news cast, is very understandable. Maybe your frandmother spoke a more ''casual'' register (which isn't a judgement on her), or was a bit older. It's true that with time and generations, some Québec expressions have fallen out of use. I know I certainly don't use the same words that my 90 years old grandma does. I also know that in the US, most people learn a very formatted version of standard Parisian french. Even within their country, France has a lot of variety in terms of accents, expressions and idioms. I'm still learning a bunch of new ones because Mr. Music is from the Sud-Ouest.

But generally, as someone who lived in France, I was snubbed constantly. Sometimes I could tell they weren't listening to what was coming out of my mouth. They just assumed: oh different accent, they must be English-speakers and they'd swith to English. Everytime it would happen, I would get super angry inside and raise my voice just a little (not screaming, just making myself heard): ''Je ne suis pas ANGLOPHONE MERCI!'' From what I've seen, the French people make no effort to understand any kind of French that is different from European french. If they do try, they are able to understand. It's a matter of stopping and listening. They come across as very chauvinistic about the French language and think the other variations of French aren't valid ones. And I'm not doing French-bashing by saying so. I know French people aren't all like that, but let's just say it's a thing in the media and movies to laugh at other French accents. The Quebec accent is the biggest but of the joke and it's tiring, but they do it with other variations of French too. I've seen news report in France where there were subtitles for African people speaking French (it was done in all seriousness). I was able to understand it for the most part. Maybe not all the expressions, but enough to know what was going on.

Sorry for also sounding defensive, it was not my intention. But Quebecers in general are quite insecure about their language. I know youwere only speaking from your experience.

Edited by Vivi_music
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 5

Montreal specifically is its own thing. Both anglo and francophones from MTL have overlaps that make their english/french unique inside the bubble. 

• Upvote 1

Live in Canada, Toronto area.  For the first 15 years of my life grew up on USAF Bases around the world.  The US quiz put in Florida; Orlando, Fort Lauderdale or Tampa.  The CA quiz said I'm from BC!  I guess I'm odd, because neither were close in region!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Vivi_music said:

Canadian here too. I also took the American quiz and it gave me Jersey City, New York, Yonkers. I'm from Montréal. At least it got the East coast part right. But I'd never thought I'd be a New York accent!

That being said, English is my second language (French-Canadian here). I think it's hard to really have an organic accent when you learn English through school or media (TV shows/movies).

The Canadian quiz got it right, said I was Québécois. But the quiz was a bit weird. Some of the answer were directly in French, like ''crayon de couleur'' ''Dépanneur'' and ''stationnement''. Even though I'm a French speaker, I'd never say ''crayon de couleur'' if I was speaking to an anglophone person. Same with stationnement. These are words I use yes when I think in french in my mind, but I kind of hesitated when answering, because I don't use them when I think or write in English. I use the darn translation.

ETA:

Hmmmm on that subject, as a French Canadian who has lived in France and now lives with a French boyfriend, it's not entirely true. We can understand each other. It is the same language. If you'd see it written, there is almost no difference. Of course, we have different expressions on both sides of the Atlantic, and Québécers are known for a very different pronunciation than in France. All of that is true. We also have different language ''register'' (formal, casual, intimate, etc.). The formal Quebec french that you'd hear for example, in a news cast, is very understandable. Maybe your frandmother spoke a more ''casual'' register (which isn't a judgement on her), or was a bit older. It's true that with time and generations, some Québec expressions have fallen out of use. I know I certainly don't use the same words that my 90 years old grandma does. I also know that in the US, most people learn a very formatted version of standard Parisian french. Even within their country, France has a lot of variety in terms of accents, expressions and idioms. I'm still learning a bunch of new ones because Mr. Music is from the Sud-Ouest.

But generally, as someone who lived in France, I was snubbed constantly. Sometimes I could tell they weren't listening to what was coming out of my mouth. They just assumed: oh different accent, they must be English-speakers and they'd swith to English. Everytime it would happen, I would get super angry inside and raise my voice just a little (not screaming, just making myself heard): ''Je ne suis pas ANGLOPHONE MERCI!'' From what I've seen, the French people make no effort to understand any kind of French that is different from European french. If they do try, they are able to understand. It's a matter of stopping and listening. They come across as very chauvinistic about the French language and think the other variations of French aren't valid ones. And I'm not doing French-bashing by saying so. I know French people aren't all like that, but let's just say it's a thing in the media and movies to laugh at other French accents. The Quebec accent is the biggest but of the joke and it's tiring, but they do it with other variations of French too. I've seen news report in France where there were subtitles for African people speaking French (it was done in all seriousness). I was able to understand it for the most part. Maybe not all the expressions, but enough to know what was going on.

Sorry for also sounding defensive, it was not my intention. But Quebecers in general are quite insecure about their language. I know youwere only speaking from your experience.

I know the French can be very stuck up about variations of French, coming from Belgium!

About the subtitles, in Flanders everyone is subtitled on TV except the newsreaders themselves, because they have been trained in the equivalent of Received Pronounciation (or BBC english). I kind of like it, because there are some fantastically different accents and dialects even in the tiny region that is Flanders and because everyone is subtitled, it isn't judgemental.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, medimus said:

I know the French can be very stuck up about variations of French, coming from Belgium!

About the subtitles, in Flanders everyone is subtitled on TV except the newsreaders themselves, because they have been trained in the equivalent of Received Pronounciation (or BBC english). I kind of like it, because there are some fantastically different accents and dialects even in the tiny region that is Flanders and because everyone is subtitled, it isn't judgemental.

The French can be stuck up about everything.

I try to speak the local language when I am on holiday. The Italians and the Spanish love it but the French only pretend like they don't understand me or they will correct me. I always feel like saying: I am sorry I am trying to speak your language, you try mine. ?

And I love Flemish accents. I watch a lot of Flemish tv so I am happy with the subtitiles, even though I am getting better at understanding over time.

Edited by CarrotCake
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

The quiz accurately got where I grew up. Madison & Milwaukee, Wisconsin and Minneapolis, Minnesota.  You can take me out of the Midwest but you can't take the Midwest out of me.

Excuse me while I go get some water from the bubbler.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

The quiz accurately got where I grew up. Madison & Milwaukee, Wisconsin and Minneapolis, Minnesota.  You can take me out of the Midwest but you can't take the Midwest out of me.

Excuse me while I go get some water from the bubbler.

First time I ever heard the term bubbler was in one of these quizzes, I was like WTF!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 2

9 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

The French can be stuck up about everything.

I try to speak the local language when I am on holiday. The Italians and the Spanish love it but the French only pretend like they don't understand me or they will correct me. I always feel like saying: I am sorry I am trying to speak your language, you try mine. ?

We got lucky with super-nice French people the last time we were there (almost 2 years ago).  First anecdote was that my then-14 year old was just 1 year into high school French but enjoyed ordering dinner in French in restaurants and the waiters were always very complimentary.  I'm guessing most American teens are too shy to even try if they just know a little but my son is overconfident that way ;-).  And then I purchased tickets for the 5 of us for a castle admission in French (I did one year of college-level many years ago plus spend a little time brushing up when we go there but that's it) and the cashier also was complimentary and offered me the audio guide in French ... mostly jokingly because he could tell I was just at 'buying tickets' level and not 'listening to a full commentary on the history of Chillon castle for an hour' level ;-).  

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, karen77 said:

First time I ever heard the term bubbler was in one of these quizzes, I was like WTF!

The first time I heard the word “bubbler” was when my sixth grade teacher, who was from Wisconsin, told the class to line up by the bubbler.  25 eleven- and twelve-year-olds stared at him as if he‘d sprouted another head. I later went to college in Wisconsin and came to know its linguistic idiosyncrasies well. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5

A bubbler as in where to take a drink of water? What else is it called?? ?

(I know I could Google but I’ve never heard a bubbler called by any other term) 

Edited by adidas
Typo
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

1 minute ago, adidas said:

A bubbler as in where are take a drink of water? What else is it called?? ?

(I know I could Google but I’ve never heard a bubbler called by any other term) 

I’d say drinking fountain.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 12

I was just coming back to say - I remember what some people call them. A fountain. 

It makes me imagine someone jumping into a garden feature for a splash and sip, so I can only imagine what bubbler makes you think ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 7

When we moved from Massachusetts to Texas in the 1970s, we did have trouble understanding people (and vice-versa). I don't think the difference is so much now, what with the internets and all. It seems like a lot of accents, both in the North & South are fading out.  But when we moved way back when, it was like another planet!

Texans -vs- us

• colors -vs- crayons
  • THEE-a-tur -vs- thea-ta (for theater)
  • SEE ment -vs- sa MENT (for cement)
  • Basement -vs- sell-a (for cellar) Of course, famously, there's no basement at the Alamo.
  • rubber bands -vs- elastics
  • Coke (for all fizzy drinks) -vs- soft drink
  • Jeans -vs- dungarees
  • Tennis shoes -vs- sneakers
  • Put up -vs- put away (I remember being baffled the first day of school when my teacher told us to "put up your tote trays" I also didn't know what a tote tray was---it was a dishpan to me!)

Most of us kids lost our accents pretty quickly so we wouldn't feel like freaks!  But I couldn't ever bring myself to switch from the "Ahhhhnt" pronunciation to "Ant" for Aunt. I do like y'all though.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Satan'sFortress said:

SEE ment -vs- sa MENT (for cement)

Boy do I have a funny story about a Fijian guy talking about SEE-ment to us Aussie (sa-MENT), especially because some Fijians leave off the last sound in a word. We were very confused As to why he was talking about semen. 

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 17
  • I Agree 1

So... I don't really know why, but I watched the video from the ultrasound. I have a lot of questions, but here's the top two. 

1. This seems to be filmed on Jan 25't, and if I read the other info correct on the screen, it's a first trimester scan. I would guess 12 weeks? I don't have kids and I'm not good at pregnancy math, but I guess she would be due in July if this was around 12 weeks. But why is there a Christmas tree in the room? And around 2:15 into the clip, the ultrasound technician asks Jessa: "Is your oldest four?" Jessa replies: "No, he just turned five". And I think she adds (Henry is playing and making sounds) "just a week ago". Spurgeons birthday is November 5'th. Even if she didn't say "just a week ago", she clearly says that he just turned five. If the ultrasound was Jan 25'th, November 5'th was almost three months earlier. What's up with the timeline here?

2. Who is the person filming this? She - I think it's a she - can be seen briefly in the glass door reflection on the way in and out from the clinic. This is the best screenshot I could get. Any guesses? 

fullsizeoutput_76f8.jpeg

Spoiler

fullsizeoutput_76fa.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_76f5.jpeg

Edited by Coconut Flan
Spoiler for multiple photos.
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 5

5 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

When we moved from Massachusetts to Texas in the 1970s, we did have trouble understanding people (and vice-versa). I don't think the difference is so much now, what with the internets and all. It seems like a lot of accents, both in the North & South are fading out.  But when we moved way back when, it was like another planet!

Texans -vs- us

• colors -vs- crayons
  • THEE-a-tur -vs- thea-ta (for theater)
  • SEE ment -vs- sa MENT (for cement)
  • Basement -vs- sell-a (for cellar) Of course, famously, there's no basement at the Alamo.
  • rubber bands -vs- elastics
  • Coke (for all fizzy drinks) -vs- soft drink
  • Jeans -vs- dungarees
  • Tennis shoes -vs- sneakers
  • Put up -vs- put away (I remember being baffled the first day of school when my teacher told us to "put up your tote trays" I also didn't know what a tote tray was---it was a dishpan to me!)

Most of us kids lost our accents pretty quickly so we wouldn't feel like freaks!  But I couldn't ever bring myself to switch from the "Ahhhhnt" pronunciation to "Ant" for Aunt. I do like y'all though.

Does anyone anywhere use the word 'dungarees' any more?  I've only ever seen it written in older books and magazines, never heard anyone using it.  

I went to a summer camp in North Carolina in 7th grade.  I was from Nebraska and there were kids from all over, mostly up and down the East Coast.  One day early on I mentioned that I was going to the Coke machine to get a pop and one of the other kids thought I was saying something about a coke (as in cocaine) machine and pot.  They informed me that I should call it 'soda', and for me I thought soda was baking soda.  Fast forward another 6 or so years and I gave that fight up and converted to 'soda' in college.  

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, xenobia said:

Who is the person filming this? She - I think it's a she - can be seen briefly in the glass door reflection on the way in and out from the clinic. This is the best screenshot I could get. Any guesses? 

Faith Seewald? She was staying with them for a while. People were speculating that she was helping out with the kids because Jessa had either miscarried and was depressed, was incapacitated by morning sickness, or had long COVID.

• Upvote 5

31 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

Does anyone anywhere use the word 'dungarees' any more?  I've only ever seen it written in older books and magazines, never heard anyone using it.  

My dad!  He’s 70, raised in Philly. It always makes us laugh. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

On 3/30/2021 at 2:37 PM, Satan'sFortress said:

Funny--this morning, I just retook the "where are you from" dialect quiz. It was posted on NYT site. It is fascinating to me, because it nails me to a pinpoint of where I was born in Massachusetts. I moved to Texas at age 9, then moved again in my early 20s to the Mid-Atlantic.  I think it is very interesting that it still puts me in my birthplace, even though I lived there the shortest.  My kids get pegged to our current state, but do have little spikes of SE Massachusetts in them from me. :) 

Hope people can access these:

Dialect quiz

British/Irish version

Oh my gosh, it totally nailed me, too. It said Portland, Spokane, or Seattle, and I’ve lived in Portland all my life. I don’t know why the accuracy surprised me so much, but it really did.

My own dang kids don’t understand that we drink pop; soda is for baking or mixing with scotch. They also pronounce “aunt” differently than I do. I wonder how they’d do on the quiz.

• Upvote 3

I’d be interested to take the U.K. quiz! 

I use dungarees, I think the US term is “overalls”. Dungarees are these (to me): 

B73AC69E-8E49-4182-97A3-D9AEC447A53D.thumb.jpeg.7c48d1137f9cb8d3517c7c2c71d389cc.jpeg

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic