IGNORED

Seewalds 45: Ben’s a REAL Pastor at a PRECIOUS Church!

nelliebelle1197

18 hours ago, CaricatureQualities said:

I listened to 2. He is actually pretty good at it. Easier to stay tuned to than Jeremy in his sermons by far. I've never made it through a Jeremy sermon. 

I am now imagining Jeremy’s face reading this. 
”Ben? Ben? BEN?!?” ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 38
  • I Agree 2

I like the fact Ben kept up with his schooling and was kinda vague about his work until he got this pastor job. I am not that religious but would rather listen to someone like Ben preaching over Jeremy any day. Jeremy's personality has always rubbed me up the wrong way and seems so arrogant, the scene with him and Jinger in the car with coffee and she told him to watch the coffee while driving because he had it next to him and I think didn't close the lid properly and it spilled on him and he got mad and Jinger had that look as if to say told you so. 

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

”Ben? Ben? BEN?!?” ?

Remember when Jessa and the Duggars called him “Bin”?

• Upvote 6

6 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

”Ben? Ben? BEN?!?” ?

I 100% believe that Jeremy comes here from time to time, and I wish I could see his face when he reads all of this.

Actually, I too was surprised by Ben's sermon skills.  He would have blended in with the small Baptist churches of my youth.  

I still have trouble picturing Jessa as a pastor's wife though.  Even if their church is small and she doesn't have any official duties, I can't see her smiling and making small talk with everyone each Sunday. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 8

I would 100% choose a church with Ben as the pastor over one with Jeremy as the pastor.  Ben has always seemed like he was fun, kind, relatable, patient and sincere. All qualities I feel make for a good minister.  Jeremy presents himself as the opposite.  

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 2

I will say I am almost ready to listen. Because all those comment don’t match with the Ben I have seen on the show (haven’t seen snippets on YT for a long time now though). Stoner head, extremely slow and muddy speaking Ben...... I mean at I’ve point he couldn’t phrase a complete, straight sentence?

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

7 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

I will say I am almost ready to listen. Because all those comment don’t match with the Ben I have seen on the show (haven’t seen snippets on YT for a long time now though). Stoner head, extremely slow and muddy speaking Ben...... I mean at I’ve point he couldn’t phrase a complete, straight sentence?

He’s much less like that now. He’s older and he probably changed his allergy meds or something.

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 3
  • Thank You 1

6 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

He’s much less like that now. He’s older and he probably changed his allergy meds or something.

Entirely possible reasons. Sermons can also be highly scripted, so he may simply be more comfortable presenting a script that he's pre-written and practiced rather than talking at least someway extemporaneously to the TV interview camera. (Not to say that that isn't highly produced, possibly with retakes etc., but it's still an interview rather than something he can really fully rehearse for.)

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

On 3/27/2021 at 7:31 PM, patsymae said:

Oh fuck, he's actually good. Nothing overtly hateful and really nothing I wouldn't expect to hear from any other person with that mindset. He comes across as confident, compassionate, and educated in scripture while also being "relatable."  Moody must give some good instruction in how to do this and he must have been paying attention. Pisses me off but i've heard way worse.

I just listened to the one from Matthew 7:1-6.  After kind of a shaky start he wasn't bad.  NOT what I expected.  Not great, but my judgment is surely influenced by watching what an absolute doofus he's been on TV all these years, and it's hard to get past the fact he's what? 23 or 24 now?

He was throwing some major shade at Jim Bob and Michelle's legalism!  I wonder if they listened and, if so, if they recognized themselves.

On 3/28/2021 at 10:24 AM, Idlewild said:

It’s not that they have had children so young and so quickly, it’s that they feel qualified to preach about family life without ever acknowledging how heavily subsidised their existence is. Being supported by JB with TLC money, paid for wedding, honeymoon as well as paid appearances ( when Jessa was doing her ‘how to dress modestly’ lectures), paid magazine articles- most young couples don’t have these advantages and Ben having been immersed in Duggarville since he was a teenager probably can’t imagine life beyond it. 

Thank you for expressing what I was saying bothers me.  All of the above.

On 3/28/2021 at 8:55 PM, SassyPants said:

Remember when Jessa and the Duggars called him “Bin”?

It's the South.  We call everyone named "Ben" "bin."  LOL.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

10 minutes ago, watchdog said:

It's the South.  We call everyone named "Ben" "bin."  LOL.

This is too true. Ben and bin are pronounced the same just like pin and pen. My talk to text on my phone even puts Ben and pen despite my pronunciation being “bin” and “pin.” ?

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2

4 minutes ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

This is too true. Ben and bin are pronounced the same just like pin and pen. My talk to text on my phone even puts Ben and pen despite my pronunciation being “bin” and “pin.” ?

Good example... "pen" and "pin" are homophones in the South.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

16 minutes ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

Ok wait, are they supposed to sound different?!!  I’m from the Midwest and I’ve never heard any difference between Ben, bin or been. They are all pronounced exactly the same. So are pin and pen.  I can’t imagine what the difference is supposed to be...

• Upvote 8

Just now, Travelfan said:

Ok wait, are they supposed to sound different?!!  I’m from the Midwest and I’ve never heard any difference between Ben, bin or been. They are all pronounced exactly the same. So are pin and pen.  I can’t imagine what the difference is supposed to be...

Ooh I totally forgot been! That’s also pronounced the same as bin and Ben in the South. I’m a math teacher not an English one, but I think bin is the usual pronunciation for Midwesterners and Southerners for all three. It has a short “i” sound like in bit, whereas Ben is supposed to have a short “e” sound like in met. I’m honestly not sure how been is supposed to be pronounced, though I know Brits pronounce it as “bean.” Now the difference between marry, Mary, and merry is nonexistent for me, that’s the one I can’t fathom!

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

39 minutes ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

Ooh I totally forgot been! That’s also pronounced the same as bin and Ben in the South. I’m a math teacher not an English one, but I think bin is the usual pronunciation for Midwesterners and Southerners for all three. It has a short “i” sound like in bit, whereas Ben is supposed to have a short “e” sound like in met. I’m honestly not sure how been is supposed to be pronounced, though I know Brits pronounce it as “bean.” Now the difference between marry, Mary, and merry is nonexistent for me, that’s the one I can’t fathom!

I grew up in the Midwest, and Ben and been are pretty much the same to me, but I definitely don't say them the same as bin. Short i sound for bin, short e sound for Ben and been. But I grew up in the eastern Midwest, so maybe it's more a western Midwest thing?

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, Travelfan said:

I'm from Canada and they are all all pronounced differently ?

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Travelfan said:

I'm from New England! I just said all these words out loud to myself multiple times to see how I say them :) At first I assumed I said them all differently, but I pronounce 'Ben' and 'been' the same (b-EH-n) and 'bin' (b-IH-n). 'Pin' is p-IH-n and 'pen' is p-EH-n. I've definitely heard 'been' pronounced b-IH-n and bean by other New Englanders, though!

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, viii said:

I'm from Canada and they are all all pronounced differently ?

Same in CA. I and E have different sounds.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

Jersey here. Ben is B-EH-n and bin and been are b-IH-n

Once I did, however, wander around Boston for quite some time looking for Cochran and Pack streets!

Edited by patsymae
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

Funny--this morning, I just retook the "where are you from" dialect quiz. It was posted on NYT site. It is fascinating to me, because it nails me to a pinpoint of where I was born in Massachusetts. I moved to Texas at age 9, then moved again in my early 20s to the Mid-Atlantic.  I think it is very interesting that it still puts me in my birthplace, even though I lived there the shortest.  My kids get pegged to our current state, but do have little spikes of SE Massachusetts in them from me. :) 

Hope people can access these:

Dialect quiz

British/Irish version

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 7

I’ve never seen the British/Irish one before. It had me for either Devon/Cornwall or the South East. I’m from Cornwall so good going.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

Funny--this morning, I just retook the "where are you from" dialect quiz. It was posted on NYT site. It is fascinating to me, because it nails me to a pinpoint of where I was born in Massachusetts. I moved to Texas at age 9, then moved again in my early 20s to the Mid-Atlantic.  I think it is very interesting that it still puts me in my birthplace, even though I lived there the shortest.  My kids get pegged to our current state, but do have little spikes of SE Massachusetts in them from me. :) 

Dialect quiz

British/Irish version

It nails me for New Jersey. Most distinct choices were calling the night before Halloween mischief night and calling rubber-soled shoes sneakers. I remember in the past it saying pronouncing Mary merry and marry all differently is pretty distinctive of the NYC area. I can usually tell if someone is from the same area as me based on how they say marry and horrible, orange, or Florida.

Also I say Ben as B-EH-n and bin and been as b-IH-n

• Upvote 9

12 minutes ago, Topaz said:

I’ve never seen the British/Irish one before. It had me for either Devon/Cornwall or the South East. I’m from Cornwall so good going.

I took that one too, for fun, and it knew I had no business taking it! 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 11

58 minutes ago, patsymae said:

Jersey here. Ben is B-EH-n and bin and been are b-IH-n

Once I did, however, wander around Boston for quite some time looking for Cochran and Pack streets!

Australia here, and we pronounce all three differently. 

Ben = short 'eh' like red, dead, said, med

Bin = short 'i' like is, it, in, sin

been = long 'i'  as in eat, meat, meet, street

But we can understand y'all just fine ?

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 3

4 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Same in CA. I and E have different sounds.

Also California. Ben and Been are the same to me, short “e”. Bin is different, short “I”. Just tried to do a school worksheet with a kid. No one in our family could tell the difference between the short and long “oo” words that were supposed to be sorted. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

44 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

Dialect quiz

British/Irish version

The quiz is uncanny: accurately pegged me as being from northern New England. Which is true, although I have lived in NY for a couple of decades now; I refuse to assimilate, lol.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic