IGNORED

Coronavirus 5: Let the Vaccination Begin

Coconut Flan

I just got the first Moderna vaccine dose yesterday, and the only thing I have is a sore arm and a round bruise at the site. No rashes or anything else at this point, but even if I get a rash, it's far better than the virus.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 3

My FIL, who is in a care home because Alzheimer's, is fully vaccinated (he got his 2nd shot of Phizer in January.). My MIL, who is 80, got her first shot last week. 

I'm not slated to get mine until the summer (maybe?) and neither is my husband, but... 

Last night we got an email from the administrator of my FIL's care home. The government here is gearing up to allow some visitation inside care homes. Last summer they required each family to designate one person as the "official visitor" for the care home resident. That person was the one allowed to have one on one socially distanced visits (was in a special room, across a table, much like a prison visit really!) The rest of the family can only do window visits or facetime etc. My MIL is the official visitor. You could only switch the visitor in certain situations, such as the official visitor is unwell for a while or moves away. 

They contacted us last night because they are offering vaccinations to all the official visitors in preparation to letting them in for real in person visits. We replied to say that my MIL was already being vaccinated, so no need. My husband also mentioned that my MIL hasn't been feeling well, which is why she hasn't been in for the across-the - table visits in a while.  The administrator replied to us to offer to change the official visitor to my husband so that he could get the vaccine.

I don't know what to say about this. I want him to get the vaccine, but my gut reaction was to feel quite upset. My husband works from home. He rarely has to go out. His risk is quite low. I teach on call. I am in different schools every day. I just got yet another notification from school that they had a Covid exposure on the days I was there (not in my class, but they are required to notify me just in case.) I am at much higher risk than my husband. It's not his fault that the government won't prioritize teachers here, and it's not his fault that the care home administrator is willing to offer the vaccine to him, but the whole thing sucks. 

• Love 15

When I went in for a medical appointment this morning, I was informed the facility had dropped the age eligibility to over 55.  Woohoo!!!  My husband is getting his second shot next week, and I was able to schedule my first one for the same time slot.  The facility automatically schedules the second shot, so I should be set.  So relieved. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 6

40 minutes ago, PreciousPantsofDoom said:

I don't know what to say about this. I want him to get the vaccine, but my gut reaction was to feel quite upset. My husband works from home. He rarely has to go out. His risk is quite low. I teach on call. I am in different schools every day. I just got yet another notification from school that they had a Covid exposure on the days I was there (not in my class, but they are required to notify me just in case.) I am at much higher risk than my husband. It's not his fault that the government won't prioritize teachers here, and it's not his fault that the care home administrator is willing to offer the vaccine to him, but the whole thing sucks. 

Have him get it.

Every person vaccinated is a person who is not transmitting the virus to people who aren't vaccinated.  The asymptomatic spread is probably the number one reason we have this pandemic.  Our doctor told us that if your'e offered the vaccine, you take it, even if you don't think you "deserve" it.  You're protecting others by being vaccinated.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 7
  • Thank You 1

5 hours ago, 47of74 said:

A few people develop red patches on their arms after the vaccine.  It’s nothing to worry about. 

Old news. It's been known for actually months now.  I developed a red patch after both vaccinations.  Just put a cold pack on it and get on with life.  

• Love 2

5 hours ago, bea said:

Have him get it.

Every person vaccinated is a person who is not transmitting the virus to people who aren't vaccinated.  The asymptomatic spread is probably the number one reason we have this pandemic.  Our doctor told us that if your'e offered the vaccine, you take it, even if you don't think you "deserve" it.  You're protecting others by being vaccinated.

I know. I agree. I just surprised myself with my upset reaction to having him be offered the vaccine and not me. I think it's just the stress of dealing with in person schools every day in a pandemic that is getting to me. 

• Love 13

Karma strikes again. I should feel sorrier for him than I do. Unfortunately, I know people who go to Idaho regularly so they can do the things they can't do in Washington or Oregon.

An Idaho man who 'thought the virus would disappear' after the election now has 'long COVID' and says he'll need oxygen for the rest of his life

https://www.yahoo.com/news/idaho-man-thought-virus-disappear-111811095.html

Sinéad Baker

Wed, March 10, 2021, 3:18 AM

St. Luke's Boise Medical Center, where Paul Russell was treated. Google Maps

A man who thought the coronavirus would disappear after the election realized he was wrong.

Paul Russell told the Idaho Statesman he was a "conspiracy theorist" until he was hospitalized.

He said he could no longer work and would need oxygen for the rest of his life.

A man who thought the coronavirus would disappear was hospitalized for more than two weeks with the virus and said he would now need medical oxygen for the rest of his life.

Paul Russell, 63, from Boise, Idaho, told the Idaho Statesman's Audrey Dutton: "Before I came down with the virus, I was one of those jackasses who thought the virus would disappear the day after the election. I was one of those conspiracy theorists."

But he was in the hospital with the coronavirus a week after the election on November 3, Dutton reported.

Sinéad Baker

Wed, March 10, 2021, 3:18 AM

St. Luke's Boise Medical Center, where Paul Russell was treated. Google Maps

A man who thought the coronavirus would disappear after the election realized he was wrong.

Paul Russell told the Idaho Statesman he was a "conspiracy theorist" until he was hospitalized.

He said he could no longer work and would need oxygen for the rest of his life.

Visit the Business section of Insider for more stories.

A man who thought the coronavirus would disappear was hospitalized for more than two weeks with the virus and said he would now need medical oxygen for the rest of his life.

Paul Russell, 63, from Boise, Idaho, told the Idaho Statesman's Audrey Dutton: "Before I came down with the virus, I was one of those jackasses who thought the virus would disappear the day after the election. I was one of those conspiracy theorists."

But he was in the hospital with the coronavirus a week after the election on November 3, Dutton reported.

Russell, a long-haul trucker, said he had been returning to Boise when he started to feel unwell. He quarantined himself at home, in a travel trailer he owns with his wife.

His COVID-19 test came back positive. A few days later he felt so unwell that he asked his wife to bring him to the hospital, where he received intensive care.

A nurse at one point put him on the phone with his wife. Russell said she told him how much she loved him, "because she didn't know if I was gonna make it through the night."

In total, he spent 16 days in St. Luke's Boise Medical Center, he told the Statesman. He also enrolled in a clinical trial to test the effects of an immunosuppressive drug on the virus.

He was able to go home on Thanksgiving Day and have dinner with his family. "It was the best Thanksgiving I've ever had," he said.

But Russell said he was still living with the effects of the virus. He said he couldn't work anymore.

"I'm gonna be on oxygen the rest of my life, according to my doctor," he said.

"Life is no good right now," Russell added. "Except for one thing: I'm alive."

Some people who were infected with the coronavirus continue to experience symptoms for weeks and months afterward, experiencing what's been called "long COVID." Symptoms can include fatigue, dizziness, pain, and problems with memory.

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says some people can experience "more serious long-term complications" including inflammation of the heart muscle and depression and anxiety.

One study, published in January, of about 1,700 people who had been hospitalized with COVID-19 in Wuhan, China, found that 76% reported having at least one symptom six months after they first got sick.

This can put additional pressure on healthcare systems already overwhelmed by treating people with COVID-19.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

I'm scheduled for my first Moderna shot tomorrow!  (weather permitting -- I have to drive over a mountain pass upon which it is currently snowing but supposed to clear up in the morning -- and I have 4wd and studded tires, so unless it's a whiteout, I'm going)

I'd been dawdling calling to get on the waitlist because I'm not 65 yet, but then friends told me the county will look very hard to find a reason to qualify younger people for the vaccine.

They can't formally move to a lower age bracket until the state says it's ok, but the definitions of things like "is your property a ranch" (agriculture = essential) or "do you have a medical condition" (medical qualification) are fuzzy and largely self-identified.

I technically do have a heart condition, so I qualify.  No one asked what that condition is or whether my heart condition puts me at elevated risk or in fact poses any problem at all.  

I didn't want to feel like I jumped the line, but in counties with tiny populations that are naturally going to complete their older aged- and essential-worker folks sooner than urban areas, this is just how it's working to get as many folks vaccinated as possible.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 4

8 hours ago, PreciousPantsofDoom said:

Unless you two are wearing masks inside your home isn’t his risk basically the same as yours? Presumably if you are infected because of your exposure you’ll more than likely infect him too.

It feels unfair because it is unfair, it is incredibly frustrating to read of other people just like you, or at less risk than you, already getting vaccinated because they live in a place that has different rules or more vaccine supply or whatever. 

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, Alisamer said:

A couple of my co-workers (who think Trump "did a good job!" for context here) have been making the "oh you don't need a button saying you've been vaccinated, people will be able to tell by the third arm you grow hahaha!" joke. Every time, I tell them I would rather have a third arm than die of Covid.

Actually, there have been many multiple times I'd really wished I could sprout an extra arm or two like Stitch/626. Especially when playing handbells. Growing an extra arm would be a feature, not a bug IMO!

Yeah a person could play Klingon opera then. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

A friend of mine, who is very at-risk due to lupus and strong immunosuppressants, doesn't qualify here yet, but does in SC (which is very nearby for us, we're near Charlotte). I think she's hoping to be able to sneak down there for a vaccine, if possible, but there are no appointments available. 

I qualify in SC too (frankly a majority of America does, due to BMI) but yeah, no appointments. I did however finally get my Prozac refilled so yay! The pharmacist (a NC Walmart pharmacist) said they weren't expecting to get the vaccine there for about a month, however. 

At some point I want to call around and see if there are no-show lists I can get on. I am getting more and more anxious to just get vaccinated ASAP. I'm probably moderate risk, realistically (just had a customer come in with his nose hanging out of his mask. Really?!?) but I feel like the vaccine would take away that little worry every time I'm in the presence of someone I don't know well. It's such a small thing, but it's stressful! 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

I just scheduled our shots - first one on Monday.  Chicago is doing them in a really bizarre way.  You can qualify for one of the federal or city clinics only by living in the highly affected zip codes.  Even if you're over 65, you can only get your shot at the United Center based on where you live, but I get it, white people from the suburbs and downstate  and less affected areas are streaming in to get their shots in Chicago. But if you book your shot through Walgreens, it's the standard 1b+ group of pre-existing conditions.  My husband qualifies because of BMI, I qualify due to cancer treatment last year and a still-sluggish immune system.

Anyway, it seems like Walgreens website at 6am EXACTLY is the best bet if they're offering it in your area.  That's when they open up the appointments.  All of them were booked by 6:05, we got in just under the wire.  6am, there were 7 slots.  6:02, there was 1.  

• Upvote 6
  • WTF 1

I filled out an "interested" form online for my county a few days ago and I got an appointment tomorrow.  Not sure yet if it's one dose or the first of two.  I don't care, I'm just happy to get it.  

I feel like Oscar at the end of the Gay Witch Hunt episode of The Office...."Kids, sometimes it pays to be fat."  :pb_lol:

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

I had thought I wouldn't qualify until the 24th, but I got a text yesterday saying that it would be March 17! I think I'll set an early alarm and see if I can get an appointment. Maybe I can get a vaccine for my birthday this year!

This'll be the second birthday during pandemic times for me. I don't usually do much, but my family does usually take me out for dinner. I think this year I'll ask if they'll take me out for my half-birthday instead... by then we should all be vaccinated and things should be open again, and there are a couple new restaurants I want to try out.

In the meantime I got myself one of those "add water and stick in the microwave" single serving cake cups. With sprinkles! So that'll be my birthday cake this year, most likely.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 7

This morning I got got my first jab: Pfizer. My appt for second jab is on 4/2. It is hard to convey how relieved and almost giddy I feel. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 11

Sign up for the no shows and end of day checks at CVS, etc.  I've heard of a few peopld getting their shots that way. My second shot is April 3. Now if only there was an end to the healing of my wrist. At least 6 more  weeks of rehab...

• Love 3

If you've figured out your state's sign-up systems and managed to get yourself a vaccination - congratulations!  I'd like to suggest you reach out to others who may still be struggling to find an appointment, or get themselves to a vaccination site, if you can.  Last week I helped 4 friends of my mom get an appointment.  None of them had an email address or any comfort level with the online signups required for the drugstores and mass vaccination sites in our state.  They signed up for the health department list weeks and weeks ago and still had not heard back; our state is sending most of their vaccine to mass vax sites, and local health departments are not getting much vaccine at all, which might make sense on paper, but it is leaving the elderly without computer knowledge way behind.  So  - help out your elderly friends and neighbors, if you can!  

• Upvote 3
  • Love 3

On 3/12/2021 at 7:19 AM, bea said:

I just scheduled our shots - first one on Monday.  Chicago is doing them in a really bizarre way.  You can qualify for one of the federal or city clinics only by living in the highly affected zip codes.  Even if you're over 65, you can only get your shot at the United Center based on where you live, but I get it, white people from the suburbs and downstate  and less affected areas are streaming in to get their shots in Chicago. But if you book your shot through Walgreens, it's the standard 1b+ group of pre-existing conditions.  My husband qualifies because of BMI, I qualify due to cancer treatment last year and a still-sluggish immune system.

Anyway, it seems like Walgreens website at 6am EXACTLY is the best bet if they're offering it in your area.  That's when they open up the appointments.  All of them were booked by 6:05, we got in just under the wire.  6am, there were 7 slots.  6:02, there was 1.  

I’m glad you were able to make your appointments. I was going to recommend the Facebook group Chicago Vaccine Hunters if you were still having trouble. Lots of tips. The most straightforward place seems to be Loyola if you qualify. I got mine through my job (nursing home.) I’m so ready to mingle but I don’t have any vaccinated family or friends yet.

• Upvote 2

I spoke to the Dr and I’ve been told I’m in the next phase. I really hope the info is correct. I’m cautiously optimistic - 1B here I come. Hopefully. 

Australia is already behind schedule with the rollout so it won’t be for a little while yet. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 3

My husband searched and searched for us to get a vaccine. He is essential and his job involves extensive weekly travel. We found vaccines last month, although it required a bit (8 hours round trip) of travel. We are just under the 65 age threshold and there was talk in our county that they were going to skip the 50-64 age group and do the younger folks first as they posed a bigger risk of spread. We went ahead and made the trip and took the vaccines that they were giving to certain occupations. Both my husband and I met the criteria. Although I am retired, I do have the current licensure for one of the occupations that they were vaccinating. I did feel guilty for essentially taking a vaccine, but when I saw that we were the oldest people getting vaccines that day...it’s all the luck of the draw at this point. Some counties are far better at coordination efforts than others. The neighboring county to ours where my husband works, is not giving any vaccines...leaving it to private businesses. My husband’s company, a large US corporation, worked with the federal government to get vaccines for its workers. This finally happened last week.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

My mother has been fully vaccinated since the first week of February through the federal program for nursing homes and assisted living facilities.  TODAY the Navy Regional Medical Center called to offer her vaccination.  ::smh::

• Upvote 5

On 3/12/2021 at 7:19 AM, bea said:

We are in Lake County and signed up via the county health department website a couple of months ago.  Mr. No. got a notification (he is 65) to schedule a vaccine at the county fairgrounds and is going in tomorrow for his first shot.    I am still waiting for mine, though my job classification puts me in the category of 1B but "other" (technology) so not in healthcare or grocery store workers.  That's OK, I am still willing to wait.  Not going to camp in front of Walgreen's / CVS or go over the border into Wisconsin, which some folks were caught doing. 

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

That's OK, I am still willing to wait.  Not going to camp in front of Walgreen's / CVS 

I'm not going to camp in front of those, but if I happen to need to go to one I'm definitely going to go toward the very end of their vaccination hours. Just in case. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

I'm not going to camp in front of those, but if I happen to need to go to one I'm definitely going to go toward the very end of their vaccination hours. Just in case. 

We also scheduled for end of day...there was literally no wait line. My 30 YO son has many friends his age who are vaccinated because they showed up at a site near the end of the day. Better shots in arms than wasted doses.

• Upvote 4

I already got the email saying that I'll be notified when it's time to make the second vaccine appointment, as I just went to the convention center for the first dose. It was easier to get in there than to try to make an appointment at a CVS or other drug store that offers vaccines.

• Upvote 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic