IGNORED

Coronavirus 5: Let the Vaccination Begin

Coconut Flan

Got mine today! We are technically 1a due to having kids with medical needs, but nobody TOLD US. The Children’s hospital sent us a “are you vaccinated? Go get vaccinated.” email.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 6

Woohoo I snagged an appointment TOMORROW!

I technically don't qualify here until tomorrow, but since the site I was on was vague about the qualifications for the groups, I managed to slide in. 

How I did it: My doctor uses MyChart, so I went on my account there, and clicked "schedule an appointment". There was an option for "covid vaccine" so I chose that. It asked if it was my first or second Covid vaccine, if I'd had another vaccine in the past 14 days, and which group I was in. After submitting those, it said "no appointments available" the first several times I checked, so I kept checking occasionally at random times through the day - and suddenly one popped up. I assume it was a cancellation, since it's for tomorrow. I clicked it and hit verify (not bothering to ask my boss for the time off first, I figured he'd be OK with it) and got the appointment!

I don't know which vaccine it is yet, but it's one of the 2-shot ones.

I'm thrilled... I know immunity takes some time to develop, but it's a step forward! And I'm having a masked outdoor socially distanced get-together with my friends this weekend, seeing them for the first time in over a year. If even the tiny bit of protection I have by then helps protect my at-risk friends who haven't been able to get a vaccine yet, then I'm all for it.

• Upvote 8

I'm patiently waiting to get vaccinated. I really wished they would make the education system a priority here, but it's important that we get our seniors vaccinated. My province is currently working on ages 70+. Hoping my dad will be vaccinated before Easter. I'm annoyed that we're getting the AstraZeneca vaccine, though. It feels like a no name brand, and I wish we were getting one of the more reputable ones. 

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, viii said:

I'm patiently waiting to get vaccinated. I really wished they would make the education system a priority here, but it's important that we get our seniors vaccinated. My province is currently working on ages 70+. Hoping my dad will be vaccinated before Easter. I'm annoyed that we're getting the AstraZeneca vaccine, though. It feels like a no name brand, and I wish we were getting one of the more reputable ones. 

From what I’ve heard, the problem with the AZ is associated with blood clots. My advice is to be very hydrated before you get vaccinated. I heard this as a recommendation for everyone getting a shot, no matter the manufacturer. I followed this approach and had zero side effects (I had the Pfizer vaccine).

• Upvote 7

I have a SIL one round in and a daughter getting her first one within the week.  I'm getting excited to see progress.

• Upvote 7

Four weeks ago when some experts were saying there would be more supply than demand in the US by May I didn't believe it. Now I am starting to believe it, except maybe California. 

Unfortunately, some of this is due to vaccine hesitancy by people who ought to know better. 

• Upvote 6

23 minutes ago, FiveAcres said:

Four weeks ago when some experts were saying there would be more supply than demand in the US by May I didn't believe it. Now I am starting to believe it, except maybe California. 

Unfortunately, some of this is due to vaccine hesitancy by people who ought to know better. 

Last week was the first time that I heard anyone (2 people actually) who said that they would not get the vaccine. I am in a very liberal area in coastal CA. Everyone I know is or has been on the hunt for a vaccine and is signed up on multiple sites.

• Upvote 5

Would it be ok to start a new covid thread about post-vaccine? I got my 2nd yesterday. I don’t want to complain but I also want to complain and see if others side effects are like mine and I don’t want to dominate this thread because it might make people feel bad or jealous they have not got it yet.  And I have so much complicated feelings about being the first of my friends group to be full vaccine. And I don’t want to scare people with my side effects because I know I’m so, so lucky. But if that’s ok to talk about here also? I don’t know. If this makes sense....fevers are *weird*.....

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

I think it's fine here.  I may have already talked about post-vaccine a couple of times.

In fact, I had a post vaccine lupus bit with each dose and after the second one, I'm "enjoying" a little bout of lupus pericarditis.  I'm still glad I got vaccinated.  

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 5

36 minutes ago, anachronistic said:

Would it be ok to start a new covid thread about post-vaccine? I got my 2nd yesterday. I don’t want to complain but I also want to complain and see if others side effects are like mine and I don’t want to dominate this thread because it might make people feel bad or jealous they have not got it yet.  And I have so much complicated feelings about being the first of my friends group to be full vaccine. And I don’t want to scare people with my side effects because I know I’m so, so lucky. But if that’s ok to talk about here also? I don’t know. If this makes sense....fevers are *weird*.....

I appreciate your comment. I am so uncomfortable talking about being vaccinated when vaccines are so hard to come by in my area. Even people who got vaccine #1 are being told that #2 has been cancelled or that they need to travel hours away if they want a second dose. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 3

HR sent an email this afternoon telling us we qualified for 1b tier 3.  This morning the local news had a story about a local covid vaccine info group.  I joined it.  Then that email came.   I’m scheduled, thanks to that group, for a vax at a pharmacy in the county north of me (35 minute drive one way, comparable to what I would drive to work).  

I felt a bit guilty about going to another nearby city to do it, but then read in the group that if you can, do it because then you’ve freed up spots in cities where supplies are smaller/in high demand for someone who can’t make the drive.  Also, the pharmacy comes out of the federal allocation instead of the state allocation and Missouri’s state allocation seems to have stuff going to where the people aren’t.  And, it means a dose in that city won’t go to waste.  

• Upvote 8
  • Love 2

I’m going by what the thread creator said but putting it under a spoiler. Hope that’s ok.

Spoiler

I got the 2nd moderna yesterday and am miserable today. Fever, chills, pain everywhere, feels like my skin and organs are on fire, exhaustion. But I already take Tylenol the maximum amount a day so I can’t take any more. I feel people aren’t being fully honest about how bad the effects are because we don’t want to discourage others from getting it. And I’m ridiculously grateful to get it.  But I’m also miserable and want to poke sharp things in my ears to relieve the pressure. I have autism, fibromyalgia and a bunch of other stuff and they haven’t done the ridiculously specific studies needed yet. I am doing the CDC check in thing.

I was, very luckily, able to get it in my thigh (fibro is centered on my arms) so I can still use my arms, but I’m limping and need to stay on my right side. Big red inflammation there.

I’m so grateful.....I really am.....I have no right to complain. But also, OUCH.

• Love 14

2 hours ago, clueliss said:

HR sent an email this afternoon telling us we qualified for 1b tier 3.  This morning the local news had a story about a local covid vaccine info group.  I joined it.  Then that email came.   I’m scheduled, thanks to that group, for a vax at a pharmacy in the county north of me (35 minute drive one way, comparable to what I would drive to work).  

I felt a bit guilty about going to another nearby city to do it, but then read in the group that if you can, do it because then you’ve freed up spots in cities where supplies are smaller/in high demand for someone who can’t make the drive.  Also, the pharmacy comes out of the federal allocation instead of the state allocation and Missouri’s state allocation seems to have stuff going to where the people aren’t.  And, it means a dose in that city won’t go to waste.  

Yep. This is what I figured as well. It’s not like we are going to get 2 full rounds of shots. The place I got my shot is a small county, population wise, and they are vaccinating everyone, as far as I can tell, and still has open appointments for county residents. Like I said earlier, the county next to mine, and where my husband works isn’t giving any shots at all. It is all up to private businesses in that county. One’s chances of getting a shot in this second county is slim to none. The disparity is crazy.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

I’ve been told that I’m eligible now due to underlying health conditions.  Now comes the hard part of finding an appointment. 

• Love 7

I did not react well to the second dose. I was so tired I could not stay awake the next day. I also had a headache, fever, muscle aches, and chills. I was thankful I did not have to go into work the next day.

• Love 9

Several European countries including France, Italy and Germany have 'paused' rolling out the Astra-Zeneca vaccine over potential blot clots.

The UK and Australia are continuing with it, saying that the blood clot levels are within expected background levels. There's apparently a big meeting of health experts happening today, which will be going through the data and reviewing. The EU FDA equivalent has come out and said they believe the vaccine is safe and the rollout should continue.

Meanwhile we're rolling out 1B (70+, certain medical conditions, some essential worker categories) next week despite 1A (high risk essential workers, high risk medical conditions) still not being available to a lot of people in that group. I'm glad I'm not organising it, it sounds insane. I really hope my parents and in laws are able to get it (whether they will or not I am not asking). At this rate I'll be lucky to get the first dose in October, when we get to the "and the rest of you over 16 years old" group. 

Also PNG is in dire straits with the pandemic, and vaccines to try and cover some of the medical workers are being sent from Australia. This is partly self interest - the Torres Strait Islanders and PNG citizens living across the Strait have close cultural ties (and are about 1km apart in places), and an outbreak in the Torres Strait Islander/Indigenous population would be devastating and quite probably hard to control - partly altruistic, and partly I think out of a sense of responsibility and/or guilt. Either way I hope we can help them (and the Soloman Islands, Timor Leste, the Pacific Islands etc) like good neighbours should. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 4

I thought about PNG a lot (and Westpapua as well). It is so heartbreaking what this virus does to the indigenous community ?

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, 47of74 said:

I’ve been told that I’m eligible now due to underlying health conditions.  Now comes the hard part of finding an appointment. 

The facebook group shared a link this morning - vaccinespotter.org.  Give it a try.  It's national for US.  I shared the link with a friend on the east coast who is struggling to get an appointment scheduled and has health issues/is older.  She said that was much easier to see what was locally available than trying to hit up everything you can think of.  I'm extremely grateful for the news story about the group that helped me find mine. 

• Upvote 3

I'm a little scared about getting the vaccine because between massive allergies and endometriosis, my body is already in revolt mode; I'm hoping that I can get either the Pfizer or the Johnson & Johnson since the Moderna seems to have the worst side effects from the anecdotal evidence I've heard. But I'm pretty far down the eligibility list so I probably still have a little while to wait. 

• Upvote 5

Mr PPO his vaccine yesterday!!! (the first of two, was the Phizer.)  After my initial reaction to hearing he was going to get it, I am pleased to say that I was nothing but happy about it. The care home administrator who put him on the list to get it said that it would be better if he be vaccinated if they need to call him in for an end of life visit with his dad. ?. His mum is still the official designated visitor, but she has been in and out of hospital so much this year, they were worried that she wouldn't be up to it if it happens. (FIL is not actively dying, but is not in very good health either.) 

Now I just need the government to get us teachers vaccinated already!!

While MR PPOD was getting his shot, I was across town seeing my hearing guy.  You have to wait outside the office until they let you in, sanitize, have your temp taken, and fill in and sign the covid form before you get in to see anybody. Office has two patient at a time max. There is a receptionist, an audiologist And the ear doc. All wore their masks. Receptionist was behind a plexi barrier.  In the course of my appointment I asked if the doc had been vaccinated. He did that he was, and that all the staff, including the receptionist had been. This is good, and I'm glad to hear it, but the whole time I was thinking that none of them would stand five minutes working in a school. 

We work just as closely with the public, even if most of them are children. There are far more than 3 adults that we work with every day.  We do follow the same covid precautions that they do, but enforcement is much different with a school full of kids vs one adult patient at a time. Give us the fucking vaccines already!!! Argh! !! 

Oh, and a friend who is an expat in China is getting vaccinated next week. It will be one of the Chinese vaccines, but he decided to take it when offered because his mother in Canada isn't well (she is 88.). If he has to leave China to be with his mum, China wouldn't allow him to return if he hadn't taken the Chinese vaccine. (Personally, I think this plan might not work out so well anyhow, since he would still have to quarantine on arrival here.) 

• Upvote 8

Woo got my vaccine! Well, the first shot. The second one is scheduled for early April and since it's on a Thursday afternoon I think I'll take a vacation day that Friday just in case.

I got the Pfizer one (at the hospital in Gastonia, NC for anyone local) and it was super quick and easy. It was busy but no actual line at all. It was very well organized, from people helping get you parked all the way through the process.

The shot itself was much quicker than I expected (my mom got Moderna and said they had to leave the needle in a few seconds, with this one it was pop and done), and completely painless, just the tiniest slight scratch when it went in. The girl who did mine was super good apparently! 

It's been an hour, and so far I'm all good. No soreness yet, but I always get a sore arm from the flu shot so that won't be a surprise if it happens. 

Answer on the yellow card question for passports - they said they're not doing those yet, just because they've not been given the official wording to use and it's very particular. They suggest keeping the small vaccination card they give you and once you're done with the vaccines to laminate it and keep it with your passport, and keep a photo of it somewhere safe and on your phone as a backup.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

I got my #1 Moderna shot last week and had a sore arm as my only side effect.  It took well over 12 hours for the arm pain to come on, and then lasted about 24-36 hours.

It seems from friends' reports that a 12-hour delay in any side effects is common (that's also how my shingles shot side effects went), but one friend didn't get side effects until 24 hours after.

It also seems that side effects from shot #2 are more common than with #1.  So it seems wise to have the next day off just in case.

Congrats on getting it!

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

12 hours ago, Ali said:

I did not react well to the second dose. I was so tired I could not stay awake the next day. I also had a headache, fever, muscle aches, and chills. I was thankful I did not have to go into work the next day.

I had my first dose Pfizer last week.  Shot itself was painless.  No allergic reaction, despite being very allergic in general.  About 8 hours after the shot I noticed my arm hurting, and had slight chills, an intermittent headache, queasiness, and slight body aches.  It lasted, on and off, for a few days and was annoying (vs. bad).

Second dose may kick my butt but that certainly won't stop me from getting it.

• Upvote 9

Has anyone that got any of the Covid vaccines also had the shingles vaccine? I’m wondering how the reactions compared. Just had part 2 of Shingrix, ran a fever that wasn’t part of the first dose but felt better in a shorter time. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, TeaGrannie said:

Has anyone that got any of the Covid vaccines also had the shingles vaccine? I’m wondering how the reactions compared. Just had part 2 of Shingrix, ran a fever that wasn’t part of the first dose but felt better in a shorter time. 

Yes I got the shingles vaccine last year and had a pretty strong fever/chills/aches reaction to both shots, along with a several day long metal taste in my mouth after the second shot.

For covid I've had the 1st shot so far (Moderna) and had only a sore arm, no fever or other "flu-like" side effects.

• Upvote 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic