IGNORED

Coronavirus 5: Let the Vaccination Begin

Coconut Flan

I spent a few months in my new apartment last year thinking I had covid when it was allergies. The ways I tell are, 1, if a Claritin clears it all up 2, if going to a different location for 4-5 hours clears it up, and 3, watery, itchy eyes aren’t part of covid.

This winter I was in the ER with what they told me had to be a touch of food poisoning because viruses just aren’t going around this year. Covid precautions made people much less likely to get colds, too.

• Upvote 5

I had my second Moderna shot on Thursday.  I was a little nervous because I know people who have felt ill for several days after the second one.   And after the first one my arm hurt for almost two weeks. 

My arm hurts again, but not as bad as the first time.  And no other symptoms at all.  Nothing.  Not even a slight headache.

I'm not sure what I'll do first in about a week and a half.  Probably nothing.  I was watching a bit of a very old movie a couple of weeks ago and there was a crowd scene.  The first thing that came into my head was "People! Put your masks on!"  But then I realized that all of those people were long dead already.  This is going to be an adjustment, but I'll probably wear a mask in public for the rest of my life anyway.     

Edited by JenniferJuniper
  • Upvote 7

On 3/24/2021 at 1:36 AM, 47of74 said:

I heard about some real fuck stickery lately where Branch Trumpvidians / anti-vaxers are making appointments then not showing up for their appointments to deliberately spoil vaccines.  That's fucked up beyond words.  

You're right, it is screwed up. But it gives walk-ins a greater chance of getting the vaccine, and every dose counts towards herd immunity.

I got the Pfizer vaccine during the first week of the rollout in the UK. In terms of importance for getting inoculated, I rank somewhere above a garden gnome. But I volunteer in a hospital and that fateful day worked reception for the staff vaccination clinic. What happened is that whenever they had a spare dose that might go off, they grabbed whoever was around and vaccinated, with consent. As a result, I got vaccinated in early December '20, because I happened to be around.

My point is that the reasoning of those who deliberately make appointments to let the vaccine spoil, is completely screwed. However, they're providing someone else with an opportunity and inadvertently help us safeguard them via herd immunity.

• Upvote 8

11 hours ago, 47of74 said:

I’m getting shot number one tomorrow. I have to drive to Clinton for it but it’s an evening appointment so I can do it after work.  I’m not sure which one it is but it’s a two shot one so I’ll be heading back on April 28 for shot two. 

If appointment #2 is 4/28, it’s most likely Moderna - you get Moderna shot #2 after 4 weeks. W/ Pfizer you get shot #2 after 3 weeks. My son (who lives across the country from me) got shot Pfizer #1 a week after I got my Moderna #1 & we both got our #2s today - he at a FEMA site, me at a local CVS.

• Upvote 8

Locally - if there are unused appointments extra vax and stuff (no shows) then the word gets sent out and folks tend to flock to sites to grab those.

Speaking of FEMA - FEMA is coming into St. Louis to rescue the metro area from the cluster that is the Missouri Vaccine plans to get extra doses out there.  By Comparison - there's a mass vac thing going on in Mid-Missouri at Monteau County that the local news is hyping all the available appointments there (Phase 2 opened up this week). 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

Our state just updated - as of Monday, everyone over 16 is vaccine eligible!

Countdown to hugging my people in 5, 4, 3, 2......

• Upvote 5
  • Love 6

I got my second Pfizer shot yesterday, and don't feel great today, but am looking forward to being and feeling safer.  Two more weeks until I can relax some of my precautions a bit; e.g., I plan to find a place to walk outside without a lot of people and take my mask off.  I'm going to shop more often and maybe visit some stores I've avoided for the last year.  I still plan to be careful, but hopefully can become a little less obsessive about it.  I'll probably shop with a mask on even when it's no longer required.

Right now, I'm looking forward to the side effects going away.  None of them are dreadful, individually, but collectively it's unpleasant.  Still far better than either of my Shingrix shot experiences, though.  I'm going to try to not take an NSAID until 3 days are up, or longer if possible.

It's amazing what science has accomplished in one year.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 6

I got an e-mail from my BFF and he will get his first vax on April 7. I am fully vaccinated (very grateful because of my job) and my mom and stepdad and his parents are all vaccinated. I've never been so excited to get a shot, and I've never celebrated other people getting a shot before Covid.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

Asking for a friend (really, it isn't me). 

He got the 1st Pfizer vaccine last Thursday morning. No effects at all other than mild arm soreness. Then last night, he had body aches, chills, and shaking. Slight fever and just felt weird. Still feeling achy today. He thinks it was a delayed reaction to the vaccine, but can that be true? More than 4 days later? With no reaction at all until then?

Just wondering if anyone has heard if such a thing.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Satan'sFortress said:

Asking for a friend (really, it isn't me). 

He got the 1st Pfizer vaccine last Thursday morning. No effects at all other than mild arm soreness. Then last night, he had body aches, chills, and shaking. Slight fever and just felt weird. Still feeling achy today. He thinks it was a delayed reaction to the vaccine, but can that be true? More than 4 days later? With no reaction at all until then?

Just wondering if anyone has heard if such a thing.

I don't know that I've heard of specifically 4 days delay, but I have heard of someone having a reaction that took more than 24 hours to kick in.  And also of reactions that knocked the person down for multiple days before they felt well again.

So unless your friend had symptoms far outside those expected from the virus, I'd guess he's probably correct that's all it is.

But even so, I'd encourage him to report his reaction to his health dept and to the pharmaceutical company, because he might be one of the outlier/boundary-defining reactions that would be good for them to be aware of.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

I heard on the news that there's a free vaccination clinic tomorrow in my town.  I went to the website to sign up, but couldn't find the link.  After combing through multiple pages of this website, I finally found the link hidden in the middle of a paragraph on the fourth page.  Even then, at least half of the time slots had already been taken.  But I persisted and tomorrow at 4:00 pm, I'll be rolling down my window and sticking my arm out for the Johnson & Johnson shot!  I was expecting to have to wait until summer...

• Upvote 6
  • Love 8

22 hours ago, sndral said:

If appointment #2 is 4/28, it’s most likely Moderna - you get Moderna shot #2 after 4 weeks. W/ Pfizer you get shot #2 after 3 weeks. My son (who lives across the country from me) got shot Pfizer #1 a week after I got my Moderna #1 & we both got our #2s today - he at a FEMA site, me at a local CVS.

Yeah, that's what it was - Moderna.  I asked when I got there.  I told the pharmacy tech I didn't really care what it was.  Of course J&J would've been nice since it would have only involved one trip but hey I'll take what I can get. 

So I got shot #1 today.  So far so good.  Had it in my left arm since that's my non-dominant arm.  (Of course that's where I have most injectables go).  Arm is just a little bit tender.  They had me sit around for about 15 minutes.  Right when I was getting ready to leave some older guy (no mask of course and giving off a strong BT vibe) was starting an argument with the staff about the cost of some pills he had to take.  Ugh.  I was leaving so I didn't see if he got really stupid but I'm guessing if he didn't calm down he got walked to the door and asked to get his pills someplace else.  Or is a guest of the county right now.

• Upvote 9

12 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

It's not typical, but I've been seeing reports of effects starting even a week after.  I'm in facebook groups full of healthcare workers so I've been seeing posts about vaccine reactions since the end of last year, and I've seen multiple with people saying that side effects showed up a week after the shot.  As long as they're the typical vaccine reactions, probably nothing to be concerned about, but still worth reporting so that they can track vaccine reactions.  If he's at all concerned, he should give his PCP a call to make sure they don't want him to do anything else.  

10 hours ago, 47of74 said:

Yeah, that's what it was - Moderna.  I asked when I got there.  I told the pharmacy tech I didn't really care what it was.  Of course J&J would've been nice since it would have only involved one trip but hey I'll take what I can get. 

The one shot of the J&J is convenient, yes, but Moderna's efficacy is a good bit higher, and it's showing better protection against some of the newer strains where J&J loses much of its efficacy.  

Any shot is better than none, but given a choice, unless there's a compelling reason for the one shot approach, I'd be taking Moderna or Pfizer over J&J or AZ any time, and J&J over AZ.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

So far so good.  Arm's a bit sore this morning but that's not unusual for me after receiving any vaccine.  Still gonna do all the stuff - masks, SD, etc even after shot #2 late next month. 

• Upvote 6

Waiting impatiently for my second Moderna dose coming on the 12th.
Chicago’s vaccine rollout has been nothing short of bizarre. County by county the rules have been different. Chicago is in Cook county, but has had its own criteria. Which they’ve kept changing regularly, so you might be in line to get the vaccine but then have your appointment canceled only to find out two days later that it was canceled in error but it’s too late now.
We got our shots due to kids with medical needs - we were happy to wait our turn, then the Children’s hospital started sending out emails telling parents to please get vaccinated because if our kids end up in the hospital they’ll need more care than most so reduce the risk and get vaccinated. I spent two days getting us appointments.
And if I may fume a bit: I understand that it’s frustrating and takes time to figure out and find an appointment. I get it. And for elderly people it’s baffling and bewildering and awful. But I know people in my age group (40s/50s) who are throwing up their hands and saying they just won’t get vaccinated because getting up at 6am to get an appointment through the Walgreens website is too hard and it should be easier so they just won’t get vaccinated.
They could get vaccinated, but they won’t, because they’re mad It’s hard and not getting vaccinated will.... prove that? Somehow? Baffling.

• Upvote 8

Just spoke to a woman at work who is about 60 and refusing to be vaccinated because "It's too dangerous; they rushed those vaccines through."

Her mother-in-law AND her sister-in-law both died of Covid in January, days apart.

There's just no way to even communicate with people like this. 

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 1

My fiancee just got his first Moderna dose yesterday, and I'm still constantly checking my email to be able to schedule my appointment for the second Moderna shot next week. I'm expecting to get the call to go back to work soon, as we're moving into another tier that will allow more places to reopen, and since my job is one that can't be done from home, I could go back earlier than others at the company.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, bea said:

And if I may fume a bit: I understand that it’s frustrating and takes time to figure out and find an appointment. I get it. And for elderly people it’s baffling and bewildering and awful. But I know people in my age group (40s/50s) who are throwing up their hands and saying they just won’t get vaccinated because getting up at 6am to get an appointment through the Walgreens website is too hard and it should be easier so they just won’t get vaccinated.
They could get vaccinated, but they won’t, because they’re mad It’s hard and not getting vaccinated will.... prove that? Somehow? Baffling.

I have helped quite a few people get their vaccine appointments, mostly old folks without email or any computer literacy at all, but there is a specific subset of people who simply don't want to do anything that isn't presented to them on a platter so they get someone else to do the work for them.  People want "easy" and people want "quick."   Unfortunately, getting a vaccine appointment is neither or those things.  I suspect the recalcitrant will reconsider when their doctor's office can offer it as part of your annual vaccinations, like a flu shot or tetanus booster.  

• Upvote 6
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, bea said:

(snip)

But I know people in my age group (40s/50s) who are throwing up their hands and saying they just won’t get vaccinated because getting up at 6am to get an appointment through the Walgreens website is too hard and it should be easier so they just won’t get vaccinated.

? I completely agree. What kind of a rubbish excuse is that? Something is complicated, or a little inconvenient and they turn too stupid to live??? In this case, seriously, why should a few inconveniences be worth risking one's life and the lives of others for? The latter, I find selfish to the point of criminally stupid. After all, if they moan about inconveniences, they do want the vaccine. Hence, there's no political agenda, no statement, just personal comfort.

The political agenda, the conspiracy theories or historical distrust, I get. Whether I get on board with them, or not, conviction is something I can understand. Fair enough, it's your funeral, mate. But just being lazy, is a sorry excuse for not doing one's bit.

However, while this galls me to no end, the bright side is that such lazyness leaves the possibility to book appointments for others, who might not yet have been eligible. Silver lining and all that, but I remain annoyed, because that kind of behaviour doesn't even give walk-ins a chance.

Well, I am very sorry a global pandemic inconveniences people who are eligible for the vaccine and capable of helping to stop the spread.

Commence: Crocodile's tears from me. /rant

Edited by samurai_sarah
  • Upvote 6
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, bea said:

But I know people in my age group (40s/50s) who are throwing up their hands and saying they just won’t get vaccinated because getting up at 6am to get an appointment through the Walgreens website is too hard and it should be easier so they just won’t get vaccinated.

Ugh. That's SO annoying. I have a co-worker who IS planning to get her vaccine, but despite being given multiple tips from multiple people and having her husband's doctors on her ass wanting him vaccinated ASAP (he's high risk for multiple reasons, she is from smoking and is technically an essential worker)... she's not done it. She's apparently on a list somewhere, but she can't find an appointment. 

I say "try the county hospital - I got an appointment next day, you just might have to try a couple times throughout the day but it's easy" and... nope. She really wants a drive-in vaccine. I say "check and see if the pharmacies near you have no-show call lists" and "there's a vaccine clinic you drive past on the way in every morning, check with them!" and she says "but I want to get my husband's and mine at the same time". Co-worker got his vaccine yesterday in the next state over, only about a 20 minute drive or so. "I'm not driving out of state. Each county should vaccinate it's own people." 

Which sure, she has a point about the county thing, but really. It's hard, but I think with any effort she could have gotten an appointment already, even if it was a distant one. And neither she nor her husband have mobility issues - they have no real NEED to get a drive in vaccine. AND she complained endlessly about how long the drive in vaccine line took for her mother! While my walk in one took maybe 25-30 minutes all told, 15 of that the waiting time!

I mean at one point most of my immediate family all got up early to start calling and get a reservation for breakfast at Cinderella's Castle at Walt Disney World. Most people would get up early to leave for a trip, or to get tickets for a concert, or have the chance to win a prize of some sort. This same co-worker will drive around to 4 different pharmacies in three counties AND order online to get the best prices on prescriptions for her family members. You'd think getting the vaccine would be the same way!

AAANNNDDD... just got a text that a pharmacy in the next town over has appointments available Thursday thru Saturday. Let her know... answer was "ugh, no." Told other co-worker who has an appointment but not for another month - "I'm not driving out there, I'll just stick with the appointment I've got." 

I get that not everyone is as gung-ho as me about getting the vaccine as soon as eligible, but damn. Both of them hate wearing masks everywhere... do something about it and get your damn vaccine!

Edited by Alisamer
Addition
  • Upvote 7

I'm feeling quite a bit better than I did yesterday.  Arm doesn't hurt so much, the other aches and pains are mostly gone, I don't feel completely exhausted, and I didn't feel chilled last night like I did the night before.  Am hoping there won't be another round of side effects (I'll be kind of surprised if there is).  So far, I'd say my second shot has been easier than the first.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 5

My only side effect from Moderna#1 was a sore arm for one night.

I got Moderna#2 two days ago. That shot stung going in - I didn’t even feel the needle w/ the first shot 4 weeks ago. My arm was a little sore for a little longer this time, but last night I noticed it was suddenly just better :). I did take a shorter walk than normal (12,000 steps v. normal 18,000+) both Monday after my shot & Tuesday. Yesterday afternoon after my walk I was a little tired/chilled, so after my zoom meeting I took a hot shower to warm up & planted myself on the couch for some binge GBBO watching & I felt fine by evening. Today I feel great, just impatient for the 2 week waiting for full immunity to be over!

• Upvote 11

11 hours ago, Becky said:

I have helped quite a few people get their vaccine appointments, mostly old folks without email or any computer literacy at all, but there is a specific subset of people who simply don't want to do anything that isn't presented to them on a platter so they get someone else to do the work for them.  People want "easy" and people want "quick."   Unfortunately, getting a vaccine appointment is neither or those things.  I suspect the recalcitrant will reconsider when their doctor's office can offer it as part of your annual vaccinations, like a flu shot or tetanus booster.  

Took me a while to get an appointment. I would have done local if I could have but I lucked out and found one about an hour away that had evening appointments.  I was going to shoot for going to the vaccine clinic in Davenport when I went down for another medical appointment next week Wednesday but of course that was the day the clinic wasn’t offering appointments at all. This worked out better for me since I can do an evening appointment and not have to take too much time from work for shot 2. 

• Upvote 7

I got my shot on Wednesday through a drive thru vaccine clinic.  It was well set up, we drove up and gave my name, went to another station and filled out a brief paper and got my temperature checked.  Then we moved to the next station and I got my shot.  It burned a bit, but that was it.  

As requested, we waited in the parking lot for 15 minutes before driving home.  I hadn't realized how stressed I'd been until afterwards, when I made a joke about the kitten we are fostering was my emotional support pet (I had her with us to get her used to being in a cat carrier and riding in a vehicle).  Well, after a few cuddles and her liquid eyes looking at me so loving, I started to cry.  Kind of embarrassing, since we were still in the parking lot at the time and the people in the other cars could see me.  Outside of that, I've had no after effects other than a slight soreness in my arm.

There's more to it, though.  After I got an appointment for my shot, I tried to call my daughter to see if she'd try for one, but she didn't pick up the phone.  So I called her SO and told him about it.  I was hoping that at least one of them would get the shot, as they have two small children at home.

Daughter's SO smugly told me he had no intention of ever getting the shot.  He's been moving steadily into Trumpism and conspiracy theories, and I guess he's gone all the way.  At least as far as I know he's not trying to prevent my daughter from vaccinating their children.

A few minutes later I was able to get through to my daughter, but she said she didn't want to make plans to drive over on such short notice.  I know she could have, but I didn't want to start something by asking her if she was being influenced by her SO, he's already a sore subject between us.

• Love 14

• Coconut Flan locked this topic