IGNORED

Coronavirus 5: Let the Vaccination Begin

Coconut Flan

Face mask standards are out:

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/02/17/health/consumer-mask-standards-protection/index.html

Not at the requirement level for employees, but people will be able to know about performance level of what they're buying.

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 6

My mother-in-law (age 90) is fully vaccinated now, and today my husband was finally allowed to visit her in her room.  The assisted living facility staff put him in a hospital gown and had him wear a plastic face shield.  He looked a little like an astronaut, but anything to finally get in to see his mom!  They’ve been able to visit a few times in a tent with a plexiglass divider, but having access to her room is a big step. 

Meanwhile, still no luck getting our vaccinations.  We’re doing ok, though, after being at home for a full year.  

• Upvote 3
  • Love 9

19 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

My mother-in-law (age 90) is fully vaccinated now, and today my husband was finally allowed to visit her in her room.  The assisted living facility staff put him in a hospital gown and had him wear a plastic face shield.

That's fantastic.  Even though my mom and many other residents are fully vaccinated, they aren't allowing visitors inside except for medical personnel or essential services.  I asked if there would be changes when some of the visitors get fully vaccinated and they aren't planning any changes at this point.  I do get to see her outside with us both masked and staying six feet apart. 

• Love 7

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/19/us/florida-women-dressing-up-coronavirus-vaccine/index.html
It’s like fake ID when you are under 21 in reverse I guess.

Meanwhile I’m practicing a new routine for 3/3, when 65+ in my zip code in my county in CA will be eligible for the vaccine - checking morning, noon, and night to see if new clinics are scheduled - check county site, check hospital provider site, check CVS site, check Rite-aid site (pharmacy 30 miles away,) check state ‘my turn’ site to see if it’s expanded beyond LA & San Diego. The whole approach is so random & shrouded in secrecy, you don’t know when they’ll open new slots, or where they’ll be scheduled. Maybe my previous experience site stalking for hard to get fast passes & dinning reservations at WDW will come in handy lol.
Personally I got my super flu shot last fall at a drive thru’ VNA clinic - I’m hoping they’ll do something like that for Covid shots too & would be happy to wait longer for that type of set up. It seems so odd & risky to me to venture inside any place to get the shots because I’ve not been inside any building other than my home for 11 months & those mass stadium walk through vaccination sites seem like super spreader events even tho’ masks/distancing are enforced. I see far too many people with flimsy inadequate ‘masks,’ or mask wearing under the nose on my daily walks - I mean pulling your turtleneck up over your nose or a bandana tied over your face train robber style doesn’t really help IMO.

Edited by sndral
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 1

On 2/7/2021 at 8:36 AM, CTRLZero said:

My neighbor (the same one mentioned above who was recently vaccinated) showed me her latest mask acquisition.  It was from  starks.com (vacuum company of all things) and seemed well made plus came with a little flap to keep glasses from fogging.  I ordered some this morning, because we need masks tucked away everywhere at this point.  ?  I also need to order some N95s/KN95s if anyone has a good source for those... 

I got a package of N95s, brand-name (Kimberly Clark) no less from Amazon. A pack of 50 was a little over $50. Only problem is they are the pouch style, which makes for much easier breathing and less fogging, but which also makes you look like a duck. I'm saving them for when I have to go inside places where I can't trust people to take even the most minimal precautions. Like Swedish Medical Center staff, who will cram onto the elevator I boarded on an earlier floor, and promptly whip off their masks. :angry-cussingblack:

basic surgical masks, OTOH, are down to <$10 for a pack of 50, and I'm finding that, far from being uncomfortable, wearing one of those under a cloth mask actually is more comfortable, and less likely to fog my glasses.

Then, for sheer styling (with pockets for N-95-quality filters) these are my favorites: weardiop.com 

Edited by Black Aliss
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

10 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

who will cram onto the elevator I boarded on an earlier floor

I am in post-surgery mode, so of course the escalator to my follow-up clinic is broken.  Getting into an elevator during a pandemic has been something special.  ? 

• Sad 1
  • Love 4

I've been double-masking at work for months. I take a surgical mask (supplied by work), remove the nose wire, and trim the corners to fit it between the layers of a two-layer cloth mask. The cloth masks I use for work have a stretchy lycra band around the top and bottom, which helps them fit better without being overly tight or needing a wire. They have ties (extensions of the lycra strips) instead of earloops, which is way more comfortable and allows for a more custom fit. I put my hair up in a high ponytail, and rest the top tie on that. The result: excellent coverage and no pressure on my ears. And no paper mask against my skin, just soft cotton and lycra. I saw a recent study that showed that double-masking (surgical + cloth) can be almost as effective as a properly fitted N95, so I'll stick with it. I always have a second mask ready to go in case I need to change it out during my shift. I got my work cloth masks from this Etsy shop, which is now starting to once again carry non-mask items but still has plenty of masks available: https://www.etsy.com/shop/WEIRDTreasuresCo

Other than work, I'm still mostly just kinda home. When I do go out, it's usually for a drive/walk. Mask always unless I'm in the car. Mask compliance around here is quite good (Biden won several towns by >75 points, which I'm sure is totally unrelated . . . ), so the rare times I do go into stores it's fine. I use good-quality cloth masks.

I should be eligible for a vaccine in a few weeks. My state just went to Phase 2 Group 2, and I'm in Phase 2 Group 4. My parents just became eligible, and thanks to a family member who works in health care, they have vaccine appointments for next week.

• Upvote 5

Our news gave us a surprise with the news of the first jabs happening earlier than scheduled. Our PM and a WWII veteran were the first Aussies to receive the vaccine today. The rollout begins tomorrow. Bring it on!

https://www.9news.com.au/national/coronavirus-vaccine-rollout-pfizer-shots-land-in-sydney-melbourne-queensland-adelaide/5ecc12e7-a470-4541-a045-983f8b3528b5

• Upvote 4
  • Love 3

Dubuque police chief Mark Dalsing talked about local crime stats in 2020.

As Dalsing examined the rates of what authorities categorize as “Part I” crimes, he saw a pattern that suggests restrictions on movement and activities prompted by COVID-19 influenced the incidence of certain crimes.

Crimes against persons grew by 40.5% in Dubuque during 2020, while the incidence of other crimes remained relatively static or fell.

“Most of us would agree that the fact that (during) three-quarters of 2020, people were stuck inside or mostly inside probably caused a lot of issues and decreases in other issues,” Dalsing said. “We saw decreases in thefts and other property crimes. Some of that is just from the fact that people were stuck inside.

“We went up 13% in domestic violence calls. That potentially impacts the aggravated assaults and potentially impacts the sexual assaults. It leads to the question, ‘Were people just tired of being in the same space with one another for that extended period of time?’”

They found aggravated assault cases went from 85 in 2019 up to 135 in 2020.  Sexual assault cases increased from 91 to 105 from 2019 to 2020.   

• Sad 1
  • Thank You 2

Wastewater analysis in Missouri indicates that UK variant is widespread.  (me - still working from home)

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

I'll be interested to see what/if the This Week In Virology podcast says about this new variant. I'm a bit behind on the main episodes (2 hours is hard for me to keep up on right now) but I don't think the clinical update has mentioned it.  The most recent clinical update episode was very positive about case numbers falling, which was good.

• Upvote 4

Does anyone know what the odds are of contracting Covid if you've been intimate with someone who tested positive?

I'm googling but can't find stats yet.

Some good news 

A third coronavirus vaccine could soon be available in the United States, a one-shot regimen made by pharmaceutical giant Johnson & Johnson that proved safe and effective in a clinical trial and completely protective against hospitalizations and deaths, according to a Food and Drug Administration review released Wednesday.

“We know this vaccine prevents 85 percent of the severe disease. … It was 100 percent effective in preventing hospitalization and deaths, and that’s really what’s important,” said Nancy M. Bennett, a professor of medicine and public health sciences at the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry. “Those facts are the most important thing to recognize.”

I don’t care what vaccine type I get when the time comes and if it takes 1, 2, or 100 shots. I’m getting it then. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

The California variant is why I double mask now, and still stay home as much as possible. I'm also looking forward to getting the vaccine myself, but I'm probably going to have to wait until late spring, or even the summer since I don't fit in any of the groups to get it sooner. Chances are, I'll be back at work by then, and if necessary, I'll get the second dose on a Friday so I can use a weekend to deal with side effects if I get them.

Edited by ADoyle90815
  • Upvote 7

My boss is fully vaccinated as of Friday, and my parents get their second one on Saturday. The boss is wearing his "I got my shots" mask, and we've ordered buttons saying the same thing. Still no idea when I could get the vaccine, but the numbers of people in line for testing are still down, so that part is good. I also don't care much which vaccine I get or how many shots are required - I just want a vaccine!

As it happens, my boss, Mr. "I don't know anyone personally who has had it, do you?" has had to change his tune slightly. A visitor today had it months ago, and said it absolutely kicked his butt. One of our bigger clients has it now -  he's still trying to work some remotely but as the boss says "he sounds really awful!"

I hate for anyone to get Covid. But still, I kind of wish there was a way for all the Covid-deniers out there to catch it themselves so they'll realize what the truth is. 

And as of Monday I'll be back to working full time, and even better - I'll have my office to myself again! I'm a little sad to see my co-worker move on to another job, but absolutely thrilled to get her out of my office. 

• Upvote 13

Saw/heard on the news that there is also a NY variant that is similar to the Brazil/South African ones.  

and follow up on the Missouri waste analysis.  My city was one of the locations that the uk variant showed up in.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

8 hours ago, Alisamer said:

And as of Monday I'll be back to working full time, and even better - I'll have my office to myself again! I'm a little sad to see my co-worker move on to another job, but absolutely thrilled to get her out of my office. 

As of Monday most of my team will be back on site again (assuming restrictions don't change on the weekend). It is going to be bizarre, most of the other teams aren't back so we will be spreading out across the floor to maintain distance. I am going to have to see if any work clothes still fit, sigh.

• Upvote 7

My husband got his first vaccine today.  I’m so happy for him!  He managed to snag an appointment through our local military base, and he said everything went very efficiently.  He was automatically scheduled for dose #2, so that’s a relief.

So...my mother-in-law, daughter and husband have been vaccinated.  I’m feeling left out, lol, but getting hopeful.

• Love 11

My in-laws are getting theirs next week and my parents are signed up! And I found out that my job makes me basically the third of the four vaccination tiers in my state.

• Upvote 3

And we have variants in my state.

UK (already knew that), California (at least 3)

And we're still monitoring sewage for those and Brazilian & South African. It's come to this, we're now looking at poop. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

Good news: my 85+ year old parents finally got their first shot and second one is scheduled.  My job and my age both make me eligible for the shot starting Monday.  I can't register until then. I will be spending time scrolling for appointments on Monday. My niece tested negative for COVID. 

Bad news: my brother's entire family (except niece) were diagnosed with COVID last week. He couldn't get his shot today because of it. Good news is they are feeling better.

• Love 14

• Coconut Flan locked this topic