IGNORED

Coronavirus 5: Let the Vaccination Begin

Coconut Flan

I had the toughest time trying to find an appointment here in Michigan. They opened Ford Field downtown. I registered but so did 120,000 other people. I eventually found an article on a local news site about an organization making appointments for people called Michigan Angels so I signed up just for the heck of it last Friday. They called on Sunday with an appointment at a place 20 minutes from my house on Thursday. They know all the tricks of the system such as when sites put online their open appointments. Apparently, they know of 67 websites where people can make appointments. I think the CDC site has 10 at the most. LOL. Get my second shot of Pfizer on the 22nd.

No real side effects. I had more arm soreness when I got the Flu shot in December.

Edited by dawn9476
  • Upvote 8

I got my second jab (Pfizer) yesterday morning. I hadn't slept well the previous night, so I think my fatigue yesterday was due to that. So far, I feel great this morning, except for some soreness at injection site. 

Thirteen days to go until I am considered fully immunized, though I still plan to follow public health recommendations about wearing masks, etc. 

• Upvote 12

We’ll both be fully vaccinated and hopefully totally immunized (to the extent currently possible) by the end of the month.  We are considering getting on an airplane for a quick trip.  Once we arrive at our destination, we plan to semi-quarantine. This means sightseeing by walking around outdoors, eating on outdoor patios, take out, etc.  My question - has anyone traveled via air recently?  Any challenges that you’ve experienced?  We’ll be masked, carry sanitizer and be distanced, plus carry our vaccination cards.  Whew!  

• Upvote 5

Got my first Covid shot yesterday (pfizer). No side effects really worth mentioning. I had a low grade fever today and a headache and tired (but I get headaches a couple times a week and I'm always exhausted on the weekend so I think I can safely say those were not from the shot! Somehow my arm doesn't even really hurt unless I lay on it. 

It was definitely a different experience. I got to the site and a guy checked my ID and my registration. He was really nice. He walked me into this big room where everything else took place. There was a line (that moved very quickly. When it was my turn someone at a table held up a number and the lady that was "directing" the line told me to go over to that table. There was a guy and girl there. The guy took my license and asked me a few questions. He was super nice and cracked a few jokes. The girl administered the shot and I barely felt it. Then they gave me my card and directed me to the chairs where you sit for 15 minutes. When my time was up I got up and walked out. It was quick and efficient. It was a little weird to me that it was just rows of tables and everyone was getting their shots right out there in the open but it was just so efficient. I honestly have nothing negative to say whatsoever about the whole process. 

I'm a bit nervous about the side effects of the second shot but no matter what it will still be better than getting Covid. For sure. 

• Upvote 11
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, Becky said:

Next week I will be fully immunized and I am getting my first haircut since late 2019!!!   :banana-dance:

Congratulations!  I’ve gone from a pixie cut to a shoulder-length mess (move over Gwen Shamblin Lara).  It is fun to be able to pull it into a ponytail.  At some point, though, I’m going to say enough is enough and get to a hair salon.  It’s a little like emerging from a long hibernation.  Everything will be strange and uncertain for a time, but I’m looking forward to circulating more. 

• Upvote 4

I got Shot #2 (Moderna) yesterday.  So far only a sore arm and some laziness. Shingles shot #1 retains its hold on my number one worse shot and reactions ever.

Will visit my parents for the first time since American Thanksgiving in about 2 weeks.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 7

I got shot #1 (Pfizer) this past Friday, so nearly 48 hours on, still feeling some soreness but that's it.   Felt tired for a few hours following the shot but nothing that stopped me from carrying on usual activities.  Mr. No gets #2 shot on Tuesday, also Pfizer.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

Interesting article on the role of social media in vaccine hesitancy.

"It takes only a short exposure to anti-vaccine messaging to create hesitancy. Social media platforms have failed in this pandemic to remove misinformation and anti-vaccine messaging that can create this hesitancy. CCDH’s work has demonstrated that a large amount of this content can be attributed to a small number of individuals. Until these platforms take stronger and more effective measures, starting perhaps with removing the “Disinformation Dozen” and improving the algorithms to reduce the spread of this content, then social media will continue to be a problem in countering anti-vaccine sentiment and COVID-19 vaccine uptake."

I have to admit that part of me is wondering how cut Pete Evans is at missing out on top twelve.

• Thank You 3

12 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

I got Shot #2 (Moderna) yesterday.  So far only a sore arm and some laziness. Shingles shot #1 retains its hold on my number one worse shot and reactions ever.

Will visit my parents for the first time since American Thanksgiving in about 2 weeks.

I agree about the Shingles vaccine. Have you gotten the second one? I had to delay d/t getting the 2 Covid vaccines. I’m afraid of that one.

Had my 2nd dose of Pfizer Saturday.  Yesterday I had a few hours of aches, slight fever and a headache.  Tylenol helped.  Not bad at all.

My son and DIL who are expecting are both fully vaccinated.  I'm so relieved.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 7

We're progressing nicely on the vaccination front.  Only one of the adults hasn't gotten at least the first dose and he's scheduled April 10.  I feel like I can really breathe again.  Now it's hoping the grandchildren can get vaccinated before next winter and they can avoid the variants going around.  

• Upvote 5
  • Love 6

Just booked my appointment for the first shot this Saturday. The only downside is the second shot is the day before Mother's Day, and we were planning to have brunch with my parents. Hopefully I won't have horrible side effects and will feel ok to go. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 3

Part of my extended family got together this weekend for the first time since Christmas 2019. We were still missing one aunt, uncle and cousin, because the uncle was sick and though he tested negative no one wanted to take a chance. 

The only person there who hadn't had at least one vaccine was my sister, who gets her first shot this afternoon. The younger generation there were all (except my sister) 2+ weeks past our first shots, and the older ones are fully vaccinated. We kept everything outdoors and sanitized hands, but didn't wear masks. It was great to see everyone and especially to meet my cousin's fiancee for the first time. 

Other aunt got the J&J last Thursday, so only her husband and daughter still to go and we'll all be done! 

I get my second shot this Thursday afternoon, and took Friday off in case I felt ill. My stress level has dropped significantly already (studies show good immunity percentages even after shot 1) and I can't wait until 2 weeks after my second shot. I'll still mask up, of course, but it'll be a relief.

As my aunt said "I'm fully vaccinated but I still wear a mask when I'm in public - less for me and more so people walking past me at the grocery store don't have to worry since they don't know whether I'm vaccinated or not."

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Alisamer said:

As my aunt said "I'm fully vaccinated but I still wear a mask when I'm in public - less for me and more so people walking past me at the grocery store don't have to worry since they don't know whether I'm vaccinated or not."

This is really a thoughtful policy since we’re all in different phases of vaccination.  We are planning some traveling, so I ordered another two dozen masks.  I may double-mask on the airplane and bus, and we’ll still keep our masks handy if we encounter people on the streets, etc.  

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

I'm one week from what I consider my "liberation day" (2 weeks after the 2nd shot) but am not sure how liberated I'm going to feel.  I've become ultra-cautious this last year and conditioned to having a mask or two on when around others, even outside.  I intend to keep wearing at least one in common areas of my building - where not everyone has been compliant with the mask mandate, don't even get me started - and while shopping.  Outside, the pollen count is currently very high so I'm better off with a mask until the levels improve.  After that, we're expecting swarms of cicadas.  The cicadas aren't a direct reason to wear a mask but I remember the smell of them from last time, so maybe.

Sorry I'm whining.  It's 2021 but in some ways it feels like 2020 isn't done.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 8

I'm so glad I no longer live in a Brood X area. I was a junior in high school in 2004 and I felt so bad for the class ahead of me. They couldn't have any of the traditional outdoor senior events, all their graduation parties were inside. Cicadas are gross. 

• I Agree 2

23 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I agree about the Shingles vaccine. Have you gotten the second one? I had to delay d/t getting the 2 Covid vaccines. I’m afraid of that one.

I got part two of my shingles vaccine a couple weeks ago. The reaction was a little slower to arrive...with shot 1 I was feeling side effects within 3-4 hours and felt unwell for a couple days. With shot 2 it was overnight before I started feeling the effects. I lasted about 2 hours into my work from home day. Had to log off due to headache and dry heaving. Went from low grade to a fever of 101. Felt better in 24 hours though. Worst reaction to a vaccine in my personal experience but still has to be better than shingles. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

My dad finally got a vaccination appointment for in two weeks. I‘m so so relieved ? My mom is high risk and can‘t get vaccinated. For over a year now I‘ve had to constantly remind my dad to be careful because of mom and still occasionally found out he met with friends indoors. 

Since there is emerging data that the vaccine also prevents transmission a weight is lifted off my shoulders.

Edited by Smash!
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 9

If anyone has had bad vaccine experiences before, and is nervous, I just wanted to say that I had my Pfizer #1 shot yesterday, and am doing great!  

I had a severe flu shot reaction seven years ago, and since then have been told not to get many vaccines.  With my doctors' permission and a mandatory 45 minute observation I had Pfizer #1 yesterday.  The only hard part was being forced to sit in a room for 45 minutes while a nurse and my husband (a doctor) stared at me intently, waiting for something to happen. And my husband waking me up all night long (that was not doctor's orders, he was just paranoid.)  Arm is sore, and I've had chills and small fever today, but no allergic reaction to the shot itself.  

I just hope everyday that it will be approved for kids soon.  I'm an involuntary homeschool mom right now.  Can't wait for my kids to be back in the classroom. Our schools don't require masks (!) so they've been homeschooled all year.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 5

I just had Moderna #2 done today, so in 2 weeks, I will be fully vaccinated. Of course, I still plan to wear a mask and social distance in public for as long as the CDC recommends.

• Upvote 12

Governor Newsom began talking re-opening beyond tiers today (tentatively in mid-June). Masking will still be mandated which makes me more comfortable. 

• Upvote 5

On 4/3/2021 at 12:14 PM, CTRLZero said:

plus carry our vaccination cards.

One thing I wish states would do would be to give people the option to have a sticker placed on their drivers licenses and print new licenses with some sort of symbol that indicates a person is fully vaccinated.  Same with the Federal government and passports.  I don't see the vaccine cards lasting too long if people have to carry them everywhere.  Having them on licenses and passports would be better because those documents are a lot more durable than vaccine cards.  Of course with covidiots like Reynolds, Abbott, DeSatan, Noem and so on that's a lot easier said than done.   (Note I said option.  I'm not down with making it mandatory). 

• Upvote 5

Just got home from getting my first Pfizer vaccination! I've never been so excited, or happy, to receive a shot in my life!

Second one is on 4/28. 

I will be hugging my people by May 12! I see a door to door ride all over the area to get to everyone! 

My sister & niece also went today. My mom is fully vaccinated. My brother & sister in law get their second next week. My two younger nephews are already fully done, due to jobs & health situations. My two BFF's are just a couple of days ahead of me. 

By the time May 12 rolls around, everyone I love most will be fully vaccinated with the appropriate amount of time having passed. And I will be squeezing every single one of them!

• Upvote 9
  • Love 3

When my kid gets her flu shot (usually at Meijer-for non-midwesterners, Meijer is like a unionized super-target), she can pick out *something* from the store. In the past few years she has gotten a plush cat, a doughnut, a bike bell, and (this year) a cheesecake. 

I went to meijer today and got Moderna and a vaccine tulip ? 

Spoiler

20210406_211857.thumb.jpg.f0ae94e3130d166c782686074e84677c.jpg

• Upvote 9
  • Love 9

• Coconut Flan locked this topic