IGNORED

Dillards 88: 'Cause We're Living in a World of Fools

samurai_sarah

So just working this through, Derick and Jill asked for separate renumeration/contracts and this definitely applied to their work on Counting On, this "new show". But Jim Bob/TLC said no (which we already knew).

Speculation - maybe Derick and Jill saw CO as an opportunity to renegotiate the terms of their work, as it was branded a distinct entity from 19KAC? And then they left after they were rebuffed in these efforts.

Edited by seraaa
  • Upvote 6

53 minutes ago, seraaa said:

So just working this through, Derick and Jill asked for separate renumeration/contracts and this definitely applied to their work on Counting On, this "new show". But Jim Bob/TLC said no (which we already knew).

Speculation - maybe Derick and Jill saw CO as an opportunity to renegotiate the terms of their work, as it was branded a distinct entity from 19KAC? And then they left after they were rebuffed in these efforts.

IMO, that’s probably what happened. They saw an opportunity, brought it up, and were told none of terms were changing, only the name.  And the fans went about insisting the kidults had their own contracts while we snarkers suspected otherwise…

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, seraaa said:

It’s hard to know the truth- the narrative has changed along with how aggrieved Derick is feeling. He is very vague about who threatened them with what. Sometimes it’s TLC, sometimes it’s JB. He has specifically said he wanted money for medical bills. It all begs the question of why a graduate like himself didn’t ensure he had medical coverage for his family before he started said family.

My own take, Derick was happy with the gravy train for a while, he liked playing at being a missionary and not having a regular job. When he did an Oliver Twist and asked for more he saw the nasty side of JB and the rot set in there. JB applied financial and emotional pressure. Derick made his offensive comments as he knew TLC would have to cut him loose.

• Upvote 17

6 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

It’s hard to know the truth- the narrative has changed along with how aggrieved Derick is feeling. He is very vague about who threatened them with what. Sometimes it’s TLC, sometimes it’s JB. He has specifically said he wanted money for medical bills. It all begs the question of why a graduate like himself didn’t ensure he had medical coverage for his family before he started said family.

My own take, Derick was happy with the gravy train for a while, he liked playing at being a missionary and not having a regular job. When he did an Oliver Twist and asked for more he saw the nasty side of JB and the rot set in there. JB applied financial and emotional pressure. Derick made his offensive comments as he knew TLC would have to cut him loose.

I agree with most of what you said, but Jill said they ‘stepped away shortly before the birth of our second child’ and the Jazz comments were a few months after Sam’s birth. This was in response to a fan comment on IG after they had left the show.  TLC commented in response to DD that ‘they hadn’t worked with DD in several months’, which supports Jill’s timeline. Many of us assumed he was fired from CO (myself included) because of his comments, but that probably wasn’t the case. 

Who knows why he made those comments when he did…

• Upvote 17

@Snarkasarus Rex thank you for the timeline.

Perhaps Derick made the comments because he is an offensive arse who at the time was trying to get a preaching gig. Maybe he knew once he’d said them there was no way back into the show. Maybe a combination.

Whatever the reason, he’s probably having a laugh to himself now, but hopefully not in front of Jill.

• Upvote 6

Derick and Jill definitely have Thoughts and I assume at some point will discuss the full story. He's said as much before, but this really makes me wonder.

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 17

6 minutes ago, seraaa said:

Derick and Jill definitely have Thoughts and I assume at some point will discuss the full story. He's said as much before, but this really makes me wonder.

Purely idle speculation:

I know at one point Derrick mentioned he wanted to practice law by helping underserved people I rolled my eyes and figured he was talking about helping people who don't want to interact with those icky gays. In other words, he would join that law firm that helped Kim Davis, or something like it. 

What if, instead, he is envisioning helping people who have been exploited by their parents on Youtube or reality television. Especially those end up in adulthood with no education and no money, and no ability to do further work because they are no longer cute little kids. Perhaps he could get some sort of Federal level Coogan Law established. (The Coogan Law is the California law that tries to prevent the worst sort of exploitation of child actors, both by their parents and by production companies.) 

That would be sweet. But probably not realistic. 

• Upvote 26
  • Rufus Bless 2

23 minutes ago, FiveAcres said:

Purely idle speculation:

I know at one point Derrick mentioned he wanted to practice law by helping underserved people I rolled my eyes and figured he was talking about helping people who don't want to interact with those icky gays. In other words, he would join that law firm that helped Kim Davis, or something like it. 

What if, instead, he is envisioning helping people who have been exploited by their parents on Youtube or reality television. Especially those end up in adulthood with no education and no money, and no ability to do further work because they are no longer cute little kids. Perhaps he could get some sort of Federal level Coogan Law established. (The Coogan Law is the California law that tries to prevent the worst sort of exploitation of child actors, both by their parents and by production companies.) 

That would be sweet. But probably not realistic. 

This would be really cool! I can hardly believe that reality stars are exempt from such a law currently. Truly a situation rife for expolitation.

Edited by seraaa
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

I don't know if the timing is off. Many people on here want this family to be seen for what they are they and don't have any personal connections. I don't know but maybe he just wants people to see them for the "truth." Not saying it is best for his family but holding grudges are real. 

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, saywhat7 said:

I don't know if the timing is off. Many people on here want this family to be seen for what they are they and don't have any personal connections. I don't know but maybe he just wants people to see them for the "truth." Not saying it is best for his family but holding grudges are real. 

Derick tends to make these types of comments when something happens to bring the family to the forefront.  I get that he's also a victim, but he's reacting emotionally when he should just be quiet aside from 'official statements'.  Save your ranting for your 'tell-all', Dillwank. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 8

In case he reads here: Derick, please write a book. Lots of us would buy it.

• Upvote 24
  • Love 1

Yep. And I was thinking that I would feel ok about financially supporting a Dillard book. They still endorse a lot (LOT) of views I oppose, but I want to normalize wrestling with the views one was raised in.

• Upvote 12

12 hours ago, seraaa said:

New comments by Derick about the terms under which the show operated

He is only going to get bolder in his revelations and opinions now he sees the ship is fully sinking. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 8

3 hours ago, livinginthelight said:

In case he reads here: Derick, please write a book. Lots of us would buy it.

or the very least read the screen grabs of it from the library 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 2

26 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

He is only going to get bolder in his revelations and opinions now he sees the ship is fully sinking. 

I can't help wondering if Derick and Jill were required to sign a confidentiality agreement in exchange for some sort of financial payout from Jim Bob.  If so, he may be taking the legal position that (A) recent events nullify the agreement, or (B) cancellation of the show (assuming it is cancelled, which is an open question) nullifies the agreement. I could see him using his newly acquired legal training to come up with this argument. He's obviously getting bolder with his vagueTweeting. 

• Upvote 14

I don’t want Derick to write a book, but to just stop vague tweeting and spell things out. Maybe they can’t discuss their settlement but I can’t stand all these mysterious comments that don’t say anything. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

I'd be really tempted to read a book by Jill and Derick. I wonder if any of the lesser known couples will consider a tell-all. If they write something, I hope Jilly would be 100% on board with it as it is more of her story to tell than his. Hopefully if they move forward with it, it would be something considered carefully in therapy. While I'm very curious as to what she would have to say, it's her right to speak out or stay quiet as she wishes. I hope she never feels pressured into it. She's had too much of that for a lifetime. 

• Upvote 15

Especially if part (or all) of the book proceeds went to a foundation for helping CSA victims. Sign me up, Dillards! Spill the tea! 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

7 hours ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

IMO, that’s probably what happened. They saw an opportunity, brought it up, and were told none of terms were changing, only the name.  And the fans went about insisting the kidults had their own contracts while we snarkers suspected otherwise…

If 1 had a dollar for every time someone replied back to my comment that JB had the contract and got paid the money for everyone, and doled it out as he saw fit, and was told that “by law, anyone over age 18 had to get paid separately via their own contract”, I’d have a lot more money than I have now.

19 puppets and Counting On

Starring JB as the master puppeteer!

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, AussieKrissy said:

I cannot wait. :popcorn2:

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 11

49 minutes ago, postscript said:

I can't help wondering if Derick and Jill were required to sign a confidentiality agreement in exchange for some sort of financial payout from Jim Bob.  If so, he may be taking the legal position that (A) recent events nullify the agreement, or (B) cancellation of the show (assuming it is cancelled, which is an open question) nullifies the agreement. I could see him using his newly acquired legal training to come up with this argument. He's obviously getting bolder with his vagueTweeting. 

Or he may feel that the NDA is not worth the paper it was signed on, especially if he feels that it was coerced. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 6

14 minutes ago, FiveAcres said:

Or he may feel that the NDA is not worth the paper it was signed on, especially if he feels that it was coerced. 

Well i guess we will know soon enough if he has the lawyerly knowledge and gusto to do all that. He got himself educated, and that is a sign of dedication. What ever happened, it pissed him off good and it changed both of them profoundly. For those that say Jill's progress is not going far enough, heck it is not bad for a young women who went from kept daughter to married women/mother. She is doing well, and he got himself a degree. Compare that to all the other kept boys n girls in that family. He actually got a degree that is worth the paper its printed on, non of that ' i ma gonna be a preacher boy' stuff.  His vengeance will be ice cold. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Sabine said:

Well i guess we will know soon enough if he has the lawyerly knowledge and gusto to do all that. He got himself educated, and that is a sign of dedication. What ever happened, it pissed him off good and it changed both of them profoundly. For those that say Jill's progress is not going far enough, heck it is not bad for a young women who went from kept daughter to married women/mother. She is doing well, and he got himself a degree. Compare that to all the other kept boys n girls in that family. He actually got a degree that is worth the paper its printed on, non of that ' i ma gonna be a preacher boy' stuff.  His vengeance will be ice cold. 

IANAL, but I think there is also the principal that NDAs are not enforceable when they lead to shielding criminal activity. I wonder how that might apply under the circumstances. 

• Upvote 11

26 minutes ago, FiveAcres said:

It could just be that he realizes that JB is currently too busy with Josh to worry about the non-problem that is Derrick...and will be for many years. 

• Upvote 13

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic