IGNORED

Dillards 88: 'Cause We're Living in a World of Fools

samurai_sarah

What scares me about Jill having no Skills and derwood passing away, is that Jill maybe forced back into the duggar fold because of it. Cathy could support her a bit. But she has had one major health scare and is not getting any younger.... 

the one good thing going for Jill is her (only) two kids. Hopefully is she is planning more she still keeps the numbers Low. If She is listening to drs. I think in Australia they like to keep C sections to no more than four. I could see that as a good number for Jill. Big family but not huge. 

• Upvote 9

On 3/25/2021 at 9:06 PM, JanasTattooParlor said:

I don’t have kids, but many of my coworkers do and they always complain about how expensive childcare is. As a teacher we don’t get paid much to begin with and the daycares around where I am are minimum $600-$1000+ a month and you have to pay for them through the summer to keep your spot reserved for when the school year starts up again. They have insanely long wait lists and one coworker literally started looking at daycares as soon as she got out of her first trimester because she knew she’d be back in the classroom the minute her maternity leave was over. She only got a spot at the one closest to our school because another teacher vouched for her with the daycare. I’m still a couple years off from having kids, but I’m so torn on what I’ll do when the time comes. 

Where I live, we started calling daycares to be put on the waiting list as soon as I knew I was pregnant (yes, at 5 or 6 weeks, so long before we even told friends and family) for when our yet-to-be-born baby would be one year old. And still we were being told by some places that we were “too late” and even their waiting list was already full. We did get a spot eventually, the situation isn’t quite as bad as it used to be, but still...

At least it isn’t too expensive where I live, because it’s governmentally subsidized. 5 hours/day are free starting from one year old, and if both parents work longer than that, up to 12 hours/day are paid for by the public system. You still have to pay for extra hours (depending on what the daycare charges), and some extra fixed fee for meals, diapers etc., but that fee is only like 30-40 € (40-50$) per month.

I think it’s great that daycare is becoming more accessible - great for moms who can afford going back to work even without a high paying job, and great for kids from all social backgrounds, who get to start off with more equal educational possibilities.

• Upvote 7

8 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

What scares me about Jill having no Skills and derwood passing away, is that Jill maybe forced back into the duggar fold because of it. Cathy could support her a bit. But she has had one major health scare and is not getting any younger.... 

the one good thing going for Jill is her (only) two kids. Hopefully is she is planning more she still keeps the numbers Low. If She is listening to drs. I think in Australia they like to keep C sections to no more than four. I could see that as a good number for Jill. Big family but not huge. 

Does anyone know if any of them have life insurance? Or is that frowned upon for whatever reason in their circles?

• Upvote 3

I’d like to think they are sensible enough to have both life/ critical illness insurance and have both made wills that appoint legal guardians for their children but I’m constantly amazed at the number of people who don’t do either. 

• Upvote 8

Well b both times they tried to have a home birth and that's when she had to have an emergency c section. Maybe if she tried a hospital birth and maybe be induced like Jinger and having the baby on the smaller side instead of going really late like with Israel, she could have a v back like joy did after her emergency c section

• Downvote 1
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, raayx01 said:

Well b both times they tried to have a home birth and that's when she had to have an emergency c section. Maybe if she tried a hospital birth and maybe be induced like Jinger and having the baby on the smaller side instead of going really late like with Israel, she could have a v back like joy did after her emergency c section

It’s often harder to find a physician who will do a v-back after 2 c-sections. I know people have done it, but it seems it’s generally when they’ve also had vaginal births previous to/ between the c-sections. Who knows though, I don’t think we know why she had the c-section with Sam, or really many details around his birth? Or maybe I just missed it

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

Does anyone know if any of them have life insurance? Or is that frowned upon for whatever reason in their circles?

I did wonder the same thing actually. 
lordy I get nervous for a baby announcement when I see new family photos..... 

4ED25749-210F-44BC-882A-5231445ED528.png

Edited by AussieKrissy
Add stuff
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

2 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

I did wonder the same thing actually. 
lordy I get nervous for a baby announcement when I see new family photos..... 

4ED25749-210F-44BC-882A-5231445ED528.png

Is he finished with law school this spring? I'd say an announcement now for a due date a good 6 months after someone graduates when they only have 2 kids is not too out there. At this point I'm not worried that the Dillards are going to have more kids than they can take care of well. They're pretty self-aware probably from their therapy.

Life insurance is cheap for someone young and healthy like Derek. I would be willing to bet that losing his dad at a young age and watching his mom manage on her own would mean they have good insurance. (you'd think his mom would point out the need if it didn't occur to him!) If I was Derek I'd have enough so my wife never had to get a job when I died unless she wanted to work for fun.

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 6

I’d say getting pregnant at this point would be stupid. He can’t even take the bar exam until July, and if he doesn’t pass the first time, he’ll have to wait until next Feb. Better for them to wait until he’s actually earning real wages before adding to the family. 

Also, their stance on LBGT+ issues is very public, so he would have a hard time getting work in a DA’s office. That rules out one line of work for him right off the bat.

Edited by Snarkasarus Rex
  • Upvote 9

Do law schools provide health care insurance (for a fee) to students? What about families? If not, I wonder if the Dillards have Scamaritan? I’d think with Jill’s history, they’d wait until he had a secure job that provided affordable, comprehensive medical insurance before getting pregnant. At this point, and depending on the reason for Sam’s neonatal difficulties which required 2 weeks of nicu care, JIll might be considered at higher risk. I hope she gets really good prenatal care and consistent monitoring the next time around.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

I’d say getting pregnant at this point would be stupid. He can’t even take the bar exam until July, and if he doesn’t pass the first time, he’ll have to wait until next Feb. Better for them to wait until he’s actually earning real wages before adding to the family. 

Also, their stance on LBGT+ issues is very public, so he would have a hard time getting work in a DA’s office. That rules out one line of work for him right off the bat.

I can't imagine he'd have trouble working in the legal field in Arkansas as long as he can be admitted to the bar, and I don't think the Jazz stuff would be enough to not make it through the background check.

It didn't sound like that was the type of law he was focusing on to me. I'd think it would be much more likely to see him work as a public defender or in the nonprofit world as general counsel.

Even if he sucks, if wanted he could likely work at one of the major firms doing the normal soul sucking worker bee stuff. I just hope this is what he actually wants to do this time and that their soul searching has led to employment stability for them. He has no track record of staying with the same thing and that's more problematic for them personally. 

• Upvote 7

21 minutes ago, lexiloumarie said:

I can't imagine he'd have trouble working in the legal field in Arkansas as long as he can be admitted to the bar, and I don't think the Jazz stuff would be enough to not make it through the background check.

It didn't sound like that was the type of law he was focusing on to me. I'd think it would be much more likely to see him work as a public defender or in the nonprofit world as general counsel.

Even if he sucks, if wanted he could likely work at one of the major firms doing the normal soul sucking worker bee stuff. I just hope this is what he actually wants to do this time and that their soul searching has led to employment stability for them. He has no track record of staying with the same thing and that's more problematic for them personally. 

I agree. If he left WM because he was bored or found it soul sucking, I think a first job in the legal profession will likely be judged similarly, only with many more required working hours. 

• Upvote 3

I think Derick has a pretty high opinion of himself and I really don’t see him doing the grunt work of general law practice. I can see him either working on a political campaign ( not Jed, someone who actually stands a chance of winning) or some sort of Christian rights group, protecting the rights of persecuted Christians to be hateful or a FRC type job which would really rub Josh’s face in it.

• Upvote 11

4 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

I think Derick has a pretty high opinion of himself and I really don’t see him doing the grunt work of general law practice. I can see him either working on a political campaign ( not Jed, someone who actually stands a chance of winning) or some sort of Christian rights group, protecting the rights of persecuted Christians to be hateful or a FRC type job which would really rub Josh’s face in it.

I still can't get over the fact that Josh even got that job in DC. I remember JB not being all that enthusiastic about it, and now we know why. He probably knew Josh would screw big time. Being far from home and not having the watchful eye of relatives 24/7. Taking "business trips" alone, without Anna & his kids. Back to Jill, I hope she will one day become a real mid wife if that's what she still wants.

• Upvote 6

Wasn’t the idea for Josh to follow in JB’s footsteps into politics? Pretty arrogant of them to assume his past behaviour wouldn’t either come back to haunt him or recur in some way.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 6

Well yes, but 

1 he was cured because he was just a curious boy, he has gone to a camp and IIRC he has been given a speech by that friend who was a cop or something and by the elderly of the church 

2 he was fixed because he was married, had a godly wife at home, not just a normal wife.

3 when did we ever saw the Duggar follow logic or just thought about the possible consequence of their action, they had swept everything under the rug and that was it. He couldn't retreat because the thought had never cross Jb mind so it couldn't happen  

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Do law schools provide health care insurance (for a fee) to students? What about families? If not, I wonder if the Dillards have Scamaritan? I’d think with Jill’s history, they’d wait until he had a secure job that provided affordable, comprehensive medical insurance before getting pregnant. At this point, and depending on the reason for Sam’s neonatal difficulties which required 2 weeks of nicu care, JIll might be considered at higher risk. I hope she gets really good prenatal care and consistent monitoring the next time around.

As a law school student he's technically in grad school at a public university, so actually, yes. I just looked up the University of Arkansas' policies and their grad students do have to show proof of university-approved alternate insurance to opt out of buying student insurance for themselves. I doubt Scamaritan would qualify for approval as "equivalent" to the university's policy.

https://health.uark.edu/billing-insurance/insurance.php

He can also apply for dependent insurance. It looks like the base fee of $2,235 a year includes a student+spouse+one child, though it jumps up to $4,470 if a student needs coverage for two or more children. Interestingly, therefore, it wouldn't cost any more for insurance if they had had more than two kids by now, but having both Israel and Sam puts them in a much higher premium bracket. 

https://health.uark.edu/billing-insurance/resources/uark--ahp-info-flyer-20-21.pdf

Correction: It looks like actually he's *eligible* to buy the plan as long as he's enrolled for at least 1 credit hour, but as he's not an International Student he's not *required* to buy into it. Nor is he a TA/RA who gets it 66.6% subsidized, so he'd have to pay full fee without it being mandated. So it's possible that he hasn't bought the plan.

Edited by metheglyn
Misread a qualification on the insurance info
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 4

3 hours ago, Idlewild said:

Not to cause waves but if I needed a person to represent me in a legal matter I would want someone secure in their abilities, but that’s just me.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sansan said:

Not to cause waves but if I needed a person to represent me in a legal matter I would want someone secure in their abilities, but that’s just me.

There definitely service professions that I will tolerate narcissist, super confident behavior....anyone cutting me open to meddle with my insides in an operating room....and divorce lawyer/defense attorney ??‍♀️

7 hours ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

I didn't know the timing of the bar exam. That's a good point. 

BUT...this is Arkansas where the governor just signed a bill banning transgender girls and women from women's sports and also a bill allowing medical professionals to refuse treatment to anyone on moral grounds for any reason as well as banning any kind of trans medical care for trans minors....sooooo being a loud homophobe/transphobe is not going to keep him from getting a job here

• Upvote 6
  • Disgust 2
  • Sad 5

6 minutes ago, Grace said:

BUT...this is Arkansas where the governor just signed a bill banning transgender girls and women from women's sports and also a bill allowing medical professionals to refuse treatment to anyone on moral grounds for any reason as well as banning any kind of trans medical care for trans minors....sooooo being a loud homophobe/transphobe is not going to keep him from getting a job here

I wholeheartedly agree his views won't keep him from being a public defender (or generally any counsel on the defense of a case), or advocacy work for a Christian organization.  However if he worked for the prosecution, a good defense lawyer could point to his tweets/YouTube videos and successfully make an argument that he's biased against an LGBT+ client.  That's why I think he wouldn't be hired to work in a DA's office.

• Upvote 4

Being confident in what you do is a good thing- provided you have the goods to back it up and have put the ground work in. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

Being confident in what you do is a good thing- provided you have the goods to back it up and have put the ground work in. 

The evil W word...work. I hope DD gets a family supporting job and fads into oblivion.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

4 hours ago, SassyPants said:

The evil W word...work. I hope DD gets a family supporting job and fads into oblivion.

Totally agree. 
Best typo I have seen in a while too ?

• Haha 6

5 hours ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

I wholeheartedly agree his views won't keep him from being a public defender (or generally any counsel on the defense of a case), or advocacy work for a Christian organization.  However if he worked for the prosecution, a good defense lawyer could point to his tweets/YouTube videos and successfully make an argument that he's biased against an LGBT+ client.  That's why I think he wouldn't be hired to work in a DA's office.

I can't see a scenario where that would be admissable. Hes not on trial, and his own opinions don't matter overall as long as he is able to do his job effectively. 

• Upvote 3

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic