IGNORED

Dillards 88: 'Cause We're Living in a World of Fools

samurai_sarah

9 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

Wouldn’t there be rules about use of social media?

His current use, yes. If was posting what he posted years ago then I could see it being used against him in terms of employment (they would have a case that he wouldn't handle filing charges fairly). I don't follow him at all but he's "cleaned up" his social media hasn't he ? From what I asked my spouse, it could be used on appeal possibly if there was a demonstrable link between beliefs and actions bit otherwise wouldn't be something that would even come up in court. Lots of lawyers hold varying beliefs and it only comes up because of actions (sexism, racism, homophobia, etc). Granted, she's in the corporate world so maybe things have changed in regards to social media - that part it's hard for me to say. Just going off what I know. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

10 hours ago, SassyPants said:

The evil W word...work. I hope DD gets a family supporting job and fads into oblivion.

Which honestly for the family's well-being is the best thing he could ever do.  There's something to be said about just going about your everyday business like any other regular Joe without every move being scrutinized by the public.   

Edited by HeartsAFundie
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

The new post by Jill makes me happy. The fact that Derrick is looking adoringly at Jill while she looks into the camera with a confident look is the exact opposite of the normal fundie setup. Even the positioning of the arms looks like Jill being in control.

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, MaryOrMartha said:

I believe the next sequence photo from the shoot will be a pregnancy announcement.

It certainly has that look about it doesn’t it?

• Upvote 1

If it ends up being a pregnancy announcement, Jill looks damn good in her dress. While this seems to be the Duggars m.o. with announcements, hopefully the Dillards are just updating their family photos.

ETA- thinking about it, I would actually be happy for Jill. Out of all the duggar kids, I feel like Jill will actually stop having children when she feels done and not just keep popping them out every other year. 

Edited by Bazinga
  • Upvote 16
  • I Agree 5

56 minutes ago, Bazinga said:

If it ends up being a pregnancy announcement, Jill looks damn good in her dress. While this seems to be the Duggars m.o. with announcements, hopefully the Dillards are just updating their family photos.

ETA- thinking about it, I would actually be happy for Jill. Out of all the duggar kids, I feel like Jill will actually stop having children when she feels done and not just keep popping them out every other year. 

or hopefully willing to listen to medical advise if told not to have anymore despite maybe wanting more. I mean from what we have seen on the surface she had it very rough for both her births. Personally after her first, I would have been like, sign me up for a c section for all further babies. I hope that she has really good care and if told to book in for a c section she doesn't try for a vbac against drs advise. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 7

I think now that she seems to no longer be quiverfull, she doesn't need a vbac in the same way. She may want to try for one under doctor guidance in the hospital or she may just go for the csection if she has another. She seems to be gaining some sense as she moves away from Duggarville, although her beliefs are still far from what I agree with.

• Upvote 14

None of the other Duggars have the "light" of happyness in their eye that Jill has.

In the most recent family photos, Jill looks happy and , dare I say it, Josiah also looks happy. Hopefully because the two couples are close and are supporting each other to think differently and live their life the way they want to, not the way JB wants them to.

They seem to meet up for dinner or a games night together- it's not hard to imagine Derek or Josiah having a glass of beer or Jill and Lauren talking about schooling for the kids. Lots of new ideas, and the confidence that if the other couple can do that, then they can do too- 

• Upvote 13

I've been thinking about their last video a bit recently. Specifically when Jill says they believe in science. I'm trying to figure out what she meant by that. Science is process of finding truth through evidence. You can't believe in young earth and believe in science, since the evidence overwhelmingly points to an old earth. To be fair though, I'm guessing the scientific method wasn't really covered in SOTDRT. So yeah, I'm curious what she actually means.

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

45 minutes ago, Sabine said:

I grew up in a convent as a ward of the state in the seventies. The nuns that raised us were of course insistent that we read the bible, pray several times a day and go to church often, but they still had common sense. Once i asked, how come stuff is billions of years old but god only needed 6 days plus a day of rest to get it all done? And Sister Aloysia answered : Honey, i have no idea how long the days of a God are. Maybe a day for god is millions of years for a human. And that made much sense to my 8 odd years self. 

edit: Time is relative. 

That’s what I always heard in church growing up. It was a super God Is Love, Golden Rule, open-minded church, but still, blonde Jesus portrait, flowering cross at Easter and so on — but 6 days wasn’t supposed to be a literal 6 days. 

• Upvote 18

3 hours ago, Sabine said:

I grew up in a convent as a ward of the state in the seventies. The nuns that raised us were of course insistent that we read the bible, pray several times a day and go to church often, but they still had common sense. Once i asked, how come stuff is billions of years old but god only needed 6 days plus a day of rest to get it all done? And Sister Aloysia answered : Honey, i have no idea how long the days of a God are. Maybe a day for god is millions of years for a human. And that made much sense to my 8 odd years self. 

This is exactly how I feel like genesis and evolution do not need to be mutually exclusive. If I recall correctly, even the order of creation is not that difference than the order of evolution (land, plants, sea animals, other animals, humans).

• Upvote 19

1 minute ago, CarrotCake said:

This is exactly how I feel like genesis and evolution do not need to be mutually exclusive. If I recall correctly, even the order of creation is not that difference than the order of evolution (land, plants, sea animals, other animals, humans).

light, land......first there was light. Big bang anyone? :) 

• Upvote 12

6 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

We watched an icredibly interesting documentary about Saturn yesterday and the scientists also talked a lot about the history of our galaxy. Things they (supposedly) know, theories and all that stuff. I was mesmerized and my boyfriend and I have been talking about it constantly. I'm a Christian and just like you mentioned, I have no problem in believing in God and putting my trust in science at the same time.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

As far as I know from growing up in a Catholic country, going to catholic schools (including university), evolution is not a problem at all to the Catholics, but they seemed to be big on the bible being read literarily in that it contained lots of metaphors. For example the story about how it is harder for a rich man to get to heaven than to go through an eye of a needle, refers to a gate (I can't remember where) that was quite low. Poor people would be walking through and have no bother, rich people would have there camels and be laden with things, so getting through this gate, known as the eye of a needle, involved getting the camels to kneel/crouch through which was not impossible but much more difficult.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

Since Jill and Derick have said they're not leaving it up to God, I don't really speculate about them. If and when Jill is pregnant, she'll probably tell us. 

I watched Noah which was a terrible movie, but the only good part was when Noah told the creation story and the images mirrored the big bang theory. I really liked the part, but not the rest of the movie.

I would like to know about how Josiah is moving away from his upbringing. He seems like all the rest of them, but I'm missing something. 

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 8

On 4/3/2021 at 2:52 AM, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Since Jill and Derick have said they're not leaving it up to God, I don't really speculate about them. If and when Jill is pregnant, she'll probably tell us. 

I watched Noah which was a terrible movie, but the only good part was when Noah told the creation story and the images mirrored the big bang theory. I really liked the part, but not the rest of the movie.

I would like to know about how Josiah is moving away from his upbringing. He seems like all the rest of them, but I'm missing something. 

I saw Noah in the theater because I’m a movie nerd and Darren Aronofsky is my favorite currently active filmmaker. It was, um...not my favorite, but I do remember writing a one line review after I saw it:

”Everything’s better with giant rock creatures.”

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 4

On 4/3/2021 at 5:16 PM, medimus said:

As far as I know from growing up in a Catholic country, going to catholic schools (including university), evolution is not a problem at all to the Catholics, but they seemed to be big on the bible being read literarily in that it contained lots of metaphors. For example the story about how it is harder for a rich man to get to heaven than to go through an eye of a needle, refers to a gate (I can't remember where) that was quite low. Poor people would be walking through and have no bother, rich people would have there camels and be laden with things, so getting through this gate, known as the eye of a needle, involved getting the camels to kneel/crouch through which was not impossible but much more difficult.

This is a common story that was told in Catholic and Church of England schools for a while, but it seems to be completely made up. There’s no historical evidence for any such gate. And given the history of the church and its relationship with money, I’m not surprised someone tried to find a way to explain away Jesus’s hard words about wealth. It seems that he really was just using hyperbole to make the same point made elsewhere about “one cannot serve two masters” (God and money). The point was that it is impossible, at least in our own strength/by our own works. However, he says in the very next beat “with God, all things are made possible”.

I have heard the same re:creation though - that “day” simply means “period of time” rather than 24 hours. But regarding reading the bible as a literary work, apparently the first several chapters of Genesis (up until Abraham) are written in a more allegorical style, where the focus should be on the overall idea rather than the detail and specifics of how it’s brought about. So the ultimate point is not how many days it took to create the Earth but simply that it was an intentional creation of God. There’s a Hillsong (I know, I know...) song that I really like with the line “and as you speak, a hundred million creatures catch your breath, evolving in pursuit of what you said” which I find a beautiful way to picture the relationship between the words in Genesis and what we know about evolution from science.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4

3 hours ago, justodd said:

I saw Noah in the theater because I’m a movie nerd and Darren Aronofsky is my favorite currently active filmmaker. It was, um...not my favorite, but I do remember writing a one line review after I saw it:

”Everything’s better with giant rock creatures.”

I was messaging my christian friends asking if noah had a magic stick if there was transformer rock angels if there was stowaways on the boat.... I was straining my many moons ago scripture classes trying to work out what the fuck was going on. I knew in the first 60 seconds of that movie that it was going to be garbage. Part way through it was so bad I stated that if Noah killed the twins, I would just leave. To this day I still say that Russell Crow owes me 23 bucks for my ticket to one of the worst movies ever. Then I call it sorta even because I pirated Cinderella Man. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 8

On 4/2/2021 at 9:50 PM, Sabine said:

I went to Catholic school and that is what we were told! 

• Upvote 9

On 4/3/2021 at 2:16 AM, medimus said:

So, I failed to capture the bottom portion of the door, but the door in the gate is in Jerusalem. Huge gates that a camel could walk through, but if they were just using the door (the eye), the camel would be doing some impressive gymnastics to come through.image.png.5491028ea8071db534f8fe261db73ec6.png

Edited by nolongerIFBx
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 5

Induction after a csection - no no no. It increases the risk of uterine rupture two or threefold. 

Good antenatal care to avoid / control potential gestational diabetes would be a far better bet if it's a smaller baby you want. 

/ steps off soapbox. 

I'm so happy for Jill. She seems to be finding herself - that's all I ever wished for the Duggarlings. 

• Upvote 7
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, Foudeb said:

Induction after a csection - no no no. It increases the risk of uterine rupture two or threefold. 

Good antenatal care to avoid / control potential gestational diabetes would be a far better bet if it's a smaller baby you want. 

/ steps off soapbox. 

I'm so happy for Jill. She seems to be finding herself - that's all I ever wished for the Duggarlings. 

We have no knowledge that Jill had gestational diabetes. It's possible she just had big babies. Jill is the same size as Jana and JD in the pictures where she is little and Derrick is tall. It's possible it's just genetic. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic