IGNORED

Dillards 88: 'Cause We're Living in a World of Fools

samurai_sarah

In the UK, most birthing centres (staffed only by midwives) are in the same building as the hospital (perhaps even on the same floor), so if something goes wrong, you are already in the hospital. There are free-standing birth centres, often in separate towns from a hospital, but the in-hospital birth-centres are by far the most common. 

In birth centres (midwife-led) the pain relief option are gas and air/entonox, different types of morphine, aromatherapy/message/acupuncture etc, birth pool/water and TENS. In a consultant led ward, there are the above options plus epidural and patient controlled analgesia/remifentanil (in some places). 

A birth centre is meant to be more "home away from home", with more options for moving around during labour, and does not use as much continuous fetal monitoring. 

In the UK, home birth for second and subsequent babies is equally as safe as a hospital birth, whereas it is slightly less safe for a first baby. 

• Upvote 14
  • Thank You 1

I understand that a lot of people are more comfortable in their own home but I chose the hospital were I would be closest to the emergancy c-section if anything went wrong. Because that was what made me feel safe. 

In Sweden you are assisted by midwifes when you give birth, and a doctor is only involved if there are complications. Most birthing centres are in or attached to a hospital. I have never heard about anyone giving birth at home volontarily but I’m sure they exist here too. 

Good luck! I wish you the kind of birthing experience that make other women hate you a little no matter were it occurs and a happy, healthy baby that sleeps at night! 

• Upvote 13

You can have entonox/gas and air at a home birth in the UK as well. I fucking love that stuff. No way I would have done it without gas and air and a birthing pool! I was overdoing the gas and air at one point, started seeing things, and told husband and midwives about them... The midwife wrote down some choice quotes for me which included "I can see Big Bird dancing!"; "Wow, I'm surrounded by Red Hot Chilli Peppers symbols, and they're all spinning round and round"; and, whilst pushing, "I'm shitting a fucking rainbow over here!". Happy memories. I needed a couple of stitches with my first baby and the midwife sorted those at home as well, with more gas and air, yay!

For me, having my kids at home was the right choice, as hospitals and medical settings give me yuuuuuge anxiety and ptsd, so I knew I had a better chance of all the birthing hormones doing their thing and having a straightforward birth if I stayed at home where I felt safe. Plus I was lucky enough to be low risk medically. However I also lived close enough that I could be at the hospital quicker than an OR could be set up, so if there was a need I would - of course - have gone without delay. No Jessa Duggar shenanigans here! 

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 3
  • Love 7

23 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

This is the pic from Jed’s wedding we were referring to. It’s from a story on the photographer’s Instagram page.

B58631FD-5967-49D4-8A57-99D23E5BF4EC.png

BEC Shouldn't Katey be sitting on the chair not Princess Josie? WHY ARE THERE PEOPLE IN FRONT OF THE BRIDE????? 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

BEC Shouldn't Katey be sitting on the chair not Princess Josie? WHY ARE THERE PEOPLE IN FRONT OF THE BRIDE????? 

She’s just part of the borg now.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 3

I told my husband I'd have a home birth if they wouldn't let him in the hospital (pandemic stresses) and he exercised his headship and said "I don't think I'd be comfortable with that." I am a veterinarian and watched my monitors obsessively so I know laboring at home would have made me crazy (plus the csection). I can see the appeal but not for me!

• Upvote 6
  • Rufus Bless 1

8 hours ago, bal maiden said:

You can have entonox/gas and air at a home birth in the UK as well. I fucking love that stuff. No way I would have done it without gas and air and a birthing pool! I was overdoing the gas and air at one point, started seeing things, and told husband and midwives about them... The midwife wrote down some choice quotes for me which included "I can see Big Bird dancing!"; "Wow, I'm surrounded by Red Hot Chilli Peppers symbols, and they're all spinning round and round"; and, whilst pushing, "I'm shitting a fucking rainbow over here!". Happy memories. I needed a couple of stitches with my first baby and the midwife sorted those at home as well, with more gas and air, yay!

For me, having my kids at home was the right choice, as hospitals and medical settings give me yuuuuuge anxiety and ptsd, so I knew I had a better chance of all the birthing hormones doing their thing and having a straightforward birth if I stayed at home where I felt safe. Plus I was lucky enough to be low risk medically. However I also lived close enough that I could be at the hospital quicker than an OR could be set up, so if there was a need I would - of course - have gone without delay. No Jessa Duggar shenanigans here! 

That sounds nice actually. My gas and air experience was very underwhelming. The only feeling I had was the light headiness you have when you are pretty drunk and step outside. The cool fresh air hits not always in a good way. I don’t think it did anything for me, but I had horrible back labour and even with the epidural it felt as if the child was exploding out my bum. Sorry if that’s TMI but I cannot even remember feeling the contractions anywhere at my belly or else.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 11

@bal maiden I had gas and air with my home birth (UK). It was an absolute disaster! 1st bottle midwife had was empty and the 2nd one  half empty! My sis-in-law who had arrived at the house was dispatched to the hospital to pick up 2 more bottles. There met her at the main entrance lol So I should've had 2 full bottles of gas and air.... they sent an empty one! The last and final bottle of my gas and air....had a leak at the valve so it had to be turned off and on when I needed it but the 2 midwives were inhaling a load of it so we just stopped and I had the child without any pain relief. Honestly all we do was laugh! 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 3
  • Bless Your Heart 1

I had big babies. No GD, proper pre-natal care. My son was 9lbs 9oz, had a natural birth with him, the nurses kept asking if I had a CSection during my recovery. My daughter was 8lbs 10oz but she was a week early. I did have a CSection with her but that was due to Placenta Previa. My husband and I are both on the taller side, he's 6' and I'm 5'9" and both of us were big babies ourselves. I was 8lbs 15oz and he was 9lbs 9oz. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

@IsmeWeatherwax glad you can laugh (now, I'm sure at the time it wasn't so funny!), that sounds like a fucking nightmare! One bottle ran out for me on baby no. 2, but fortunately they had another on hand. I do remember being pretty pissed off during the 45 seconds or so it took them to change the bottle... 

• Upvote 7

Due to a set of unfortunate circumstances I had my second c-section under general anesthesia. When I woke up they hadn't administered any pain medication.  So I felt that I was just cut open. It was awful. My body was naturally trying to curl into the fetal position because it hurt so much but that just made it worse. Only thing I could do was squeeze my husband's hand until they finally gave me something. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 6
  • WTF 1
  • Love 14

@bal maiden to be honest it was funny at the time! Such a comedy of errors you couldn't even make it up lol By the time the midwives arrived I was already 8cm so it wasn't really needed. No. 3 in the hospital with a nightmare induction.. i had the gas pipe inserted down my throat for I dont even know how long, I do believe I growled at one when she tried to get the G&A pipe off me ?

• Upvote 6

• 3 weeks later...

New comments by Derick about the terms under which the show operated

Edited by seraaa
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 16

I believe Derick, but damn, he needs to STFU. He should be focusing on doing well on his final exams, passing the bar exam, and getting and keeping a damn job for once in his life. Jill’s exploitation is paying for his law school, so he needs to pay her back by providing a good life for them, instead of fucking around on social media. Asshat.

• Upvote 14
  • Confused 1
  • I Agree 2

If, as Derick alleges, one person got paid then that person is JB. How do you think the other “cast members” will feel when they realise that the money that THEY earned (but JB holds) is going to fund Josh’s legal expenses? It is as if the rest of the family are paying for Josh without having been consulted and are further tainted by association. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 5

4 minutes ago, Angelface said:

If, as Derick alleges, one person got paid then that person is JB. How do you think the other “cast members” will feel when they realise that the money that THEY earned (but JB holds) is going to fund Josh’s legal expenses? It is as if the rest of the family are paying for Josh without having been consulted and are further tainted by association. 

I think they already know they’ve been bankrolling Smugs, his family, and his legal troubles ever since 2015. They may not like it, but they’ve accepted it so they can also have access to the Bank of Boob. 

• Upvote 21
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 2

22 minutes ago, Angelface said:

That’s yet another way JB grossly mistreats his children: by means of financial abuse. 

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 9

Yes, we speak of physical, mental, and sexual abuse. Sadly there is so much of that. However, there is also spiritual and financial abuse galore in Duggarville. It is a cult in so very many ways. 

• Upvote 16

1 hour ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

I believe Derick, but damn, he needs to STFU. He should be focusing on doing well on his final exams, passing the bar exam, and getting and keeping a damn job for once in his life. Jill’s exploitation is paying for his law school, so he needs to pay her back by providing a good life for them, instead of fucking around on social media. Asshat.

The timing is also odd. Why add fuel to the fire now when you can just sit back and watch the family implode from a distance?

• Upvote 9

3 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

The timing is also odd. Why add fuel to the fire now when you can just sit back and watch the family implode from a distance?

Derick’s an immature attention whore...he just can’t help himself. If he was truly focused on his new career and his family, he would just stay out of it. 

Can you tell I have a strong dislike of Derick?

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

I would hope that he doesn't comment without Jill's agreement. But

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6

3 hours ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

Those comments likely took no more than two minutes out of his day. 

• Upvote 20
  • Love 1

Derick’s busy on Twitter today! There’s more, but I thought these were the most interesting statements that hadn’t been posted.

7D632373-A623-4300-8BA3-4D7F30E9D5D9.jpeg

35F2B021-2BA0-4D7E-9527-727120D85755.jpeg

• Thank You 16

I wonder what "we weren't in the intro but had to do the shows" means. Sounds like there was some kind of threat involved. (loss of support from JB? Other?)

2 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I think he's trying to establish as much distance from them as possible.

Edited by livinginthelight
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic