IGNORED

Upcoming Babies 19: We Keep Track So They Don't Have To

Bethella

I like the name Emma. I think I mentioned this before. The first time I heard the name was on Degrassi Junior high. The second time I heard the name was on the TV show Friends. Now I hear it all the time. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ophelia said:

Haven't said it here either, but I'm also pregnant and I totally feel you when it comes to pregnancy hormones... My feelings all over the place most of the time.
I think Emma is a beautiful name! I wish you a healthy pregnancy and all the best for you and baby Emma!

When I was pregnant with my first, my husband pointed out a cute cat nearby for me to see because I love cats. It had a slight limp. I started bawling my eyes out because this random cat had a limp. Pregnancy is weird sometimes.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Nothing of course. It’s popularity was highest about ten years ago (but it’s still popular now). That is Whitney’s naming style.

Disclaimer:

I have an extremely thick skin when it comes to names. Probably because I had a terrible last name growing up. Not everyone will like your kid’s name. It’s impossible. What matters is if YOU like it.

Name lesson if anyone cares: 

The rise of Emma started because of the popularity of Emily. The Name Emily was #1 for girls for over a decade. It was extremely popular from the mid 90s into the early 2000s. That is because when I name becomes too popular in a person’s mind, they prefer a similar name. That was Emma. Then in 2002, Rachel in Friends named her baby Emma. That made the name even more popular. It’s still popular today. Although it’s less popular now. You will also see names like Emerson, Emmeline, Emory, Emmy, and Ember more popular as Emma became popular. Because like I said, if one name becomes popular, people will use similar sounding names more as well.

Don't pay attention to my emotional self, I'm incredibly hormonal right now ?

I don't feel like "Emma" is Whitney's naming style, it's more of a classic name and she likes made up trendy names, I think.

1 hour ago, ophelia said:

Haven't said it here either, but I'm also pregnant and I totally feel you when it comes to pregnancy hormones... My feelings all over the place most of the time.
I think Emma is a beautiful name! I wish you a healthy pregnancy and all the best for you and baby Emma!

Congratulations on your pregnancy! Wish you a healthy pregnancy and baby ? Hang in there, I feel exactly the same, and thank you!!!

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

6 minutes ago, HermioneSparrow said:

Don't pay attention to my emotional self, I'm incredibly hormonal right now ?

I don't feel like "Emma" is Whitney's naming style, it's more of a classic name and she likes made up trendy names, I think.

Congratulations on your pregnancy! Wish you a healthy pregnancy and baby ? Hang in there, I feel exactly the same, and thank you!!!

Emma is definitely a classic that got super popular. Same with Emily and Sophia and Isabella. I kind of hate when beautiful classic names get crazy popular. But they often get popular for a reason. Because they are beautiful! 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

1 minute ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Emma is definitely a classic that got super popular. Same with Emily and Sophia and Isabella. I kind of hate when beautiful classic names get crazy popular. But they often get popular for a reason. Because they are beautiful! 

I have a short list of old fashioned names that I like (on the off-chance that I might find someone to procreate with, although I'm not looking all that hard) and I've removed some over the years after they went up in popularity to the point where I wouldn't want to use them.

• Upvote 6

I had a grandmother named Emma and always intended to name my daughter Emma because I loved the name and it wasn’t everywhere. I didn’t end up having a baby till I was 43 and the name was super popular. I considered going with a different name and then just said screw it. I still love it and I’m using it. So glad I did. My daughter loves her name. She’s the only one in her grade (100 kids), though there are 3 Olivias and several Madeline/Madelyns, Guilianas, and Lilah/Lylahs.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 7

20 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

I had a grandmother named Emma and always intended to name my daughter Emma because I loved the name and it wasn’t everywhere. I didn’t end up having a baby till I was 43 and the name was super popular. I considered going with a different name and then just said screw it. I still love it and I’m using it. So glad I did. My daughter loves her name. She’s the only one in her grade (100 kids), though there are 3 Olivias and several Madeline/Madelyns, Guilianas, and Lilah/Lylahs.

Names are also very regional. Like if you live in a place with a lot of Spanish speaking people, you’ll find way more Mateos than in a very WASPy area. Or if you live in a highly catholic area, you’ll find more Marys. My hometown is surrounded by miles and miles of farmland. So names like Hunter, Colt, and Maverick are much more popular there than in a big city. 

• Upvote 9

Re: baby names. My advice is to keep silent on your name choices until the child is born and named. One or more persons are not going to like your choices and will take every opportunity during your pregnancy to tell you so.

In fact, there will ALWAYS be people who don't like your name choices and will feel that you need to hear about it in great detail.

Life is too short for that nonsense.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 4

I like Emma much more than Emily. 

We have a 2 year old Emma in our family and she is the brightest little bubble in the whole wide world. She's so happy and fun and funny and engaging and loves everyone. 

I've never liked Emily - and I am sure it is because growing up, my sister's best friend had a little sister named Emily who was the most obnoxious, spoiled little brat I'd ever come across - even now, 40+ years later, few kids have managed to reach her levels of obnoxious, spoiled bratty-ness. 

**And, Congrats to the (newly announced) mommies to be!

Edited by fundiefan
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

@HermioneSparrow Congrats on the pregnancy! Emma is a simple feminine name that's easy to pronounce in any language. It has the timeless appeal of other very popular names in the past decade like Ava, Sophia, Mia and Bella. There's a reason those names are popular! 

Last year we chose an older, rare name for our baby daughter and I wonder if she'll wish we named her Mia instead. Best of luck for the rest of your pregnancy, hang in there!

• Upvote 3
  • Love 3

5 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Re: baby names. My advice is to keep silent on your name choices until the child is born and named. One or more persons are not going to like your choices and will take every opportunity during your pregnancy to tell you so.

In fact, there will ALWAYS be people who don't like your name choices and will feel that you need to hear about it in great detail.

I think this is good advice but I’m mean as hell when I’m pregnant and no one shat on my name choices to my face. They knew better. I’m much nicer after I give birth ?

• Upvote 1
  • Love 4

If you ever get down about your name or your child’s name being overly popular, just tell yourself, “at least I’m not a fundie named Anna or John.” I have no idea how fundies keep them all straight! Imagine yelling Anna or John at a big fundie wedding. 18 people would answer. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 11

Bear in mind also that with fundies and their sometimes unpredictable naming patterns, any name you like might be used by them at one point for their baby--unless it's something like Jezebel or Lucifer. Don't let the possibility stop you!

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

As "influencer" Brighton Butler is wishing she had read yesterday after seeing the response to their just announced plan last evening to call their about to be born son Four...

• Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 3

On 1/27/2021 at 2:34 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

My friend is a teacher and 11 years ago she decided on the name Brayden for her baby. She said she’d never had a kid in her classes with that name so it wasn’t ruined like so many other names. Little did she know, it had just exploded in popularity with a bunch of other “ayden” names at that time. Now she has a bunch of Braydens in her class! Poor teachers have so many names ruined for them!

This.

And I would not say that Whitney has chosen current trendy names. She has chosen trendy names from about 10-12 years ago. The "ayden" trend in our area was over the top. 

Brayden, Aiden, Jayden, Cayden, Graydon, Zayden, Hayden just repeated over and over. As a teacher, yuck. And I think every parent thought they had pick the most unique name ever. Um, no. Every parent has chosen a version of that name

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

14 minutes ago, jakesykora said:

As "influencer" Brighton Butler is wishing she had read yesterday after seeing the response to their just announced plan last evening to call their about to be born son Four...

Is the middle name Loko? ?

• Haha 11

6 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Nothing of course. It’s popularity was highest about ten years ago (but it’s still popular now). That is Whitney’s naming style.

Disclaimer:

I have an extremely thick skin when it comes to names. Probably because I had a terrible last name growing up. Not everyone will like your kid’s name. It’s impossible. What matters is if YOU like it.

Name lesson if anyone cares: 

The rise of Emma started because of the popularity of Emily. The Name Emily was #1 for girls for over a decade. It was extremely popular from the mid 90s into the early 2000s. That is because when I name becomes too popular in a person’s mind, they prefer a similar name. That was Emma. Then in 2002, Rachel in Friends named her baby Emma. That made the name even more popular. It’s still popular today. Although it’s less popular now. You will also see names like Emerson, Emmeline, Emory, Emmy, and Ember more popular as Emma became popular. Because like I said, if one name becomes popular, people will use similar sounding names more as well.

Actually Emma was most popular in the late 2010s for the USA. Emma became the number 1 name in 2014 and remained the #1 name until 2019, where it fell to number #2. It was also #1 in 2008. It's been in the top five since 2002.  Here's a link for the data.

I actually knew several Emmas my age and it feels a little played out, but it's a good name. 

• Upvote 4

34 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Is the middle name Loko? ?

Of course not. Its Play.

• WTF 1
  • Haha 20

Bethany Wissmann Beasley had Felicity Anne Beasley this morning (Jan 28th)

I guess she wasn’t following the “skip a letter of the alphabet” theme after all (her kids have been A - C - E - G and now F)

Edited by VBOY9977
  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 3

And here I was thinking "Oh no - who is pregnant now??!" but  it's FJ-pregnancies!! Hooray!!! Congratulations to you both!! ? :stork-boy::stork-girl::group-hug:

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

47 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

I guess she wasn’t following the “skip a letter of the alphabet” theme after all (her kids have been A - C - E - G and now F)

She's just gonna work backwards & fill in the letters. Next baby will be D. The one after that, B.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

Of course not. Its Play.

Are you sure it’s not Skin?

1 hour ago, VBOY9977 said:

I was sure she would have an Isaac or Isabella. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 1

Ahhh, I love the name Emma, but I also have a Caitlin. ?Although, she’ll be 34 this Spring, so was named before it was trendy.

• Upvote 5

• Bethella locked and unpinned this topic