IGNORED

Meghan and Harry 4: Working for Netflix

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, apandaaries said:

It’s beyond disturbing to realize and recognize how abhorrently brutal the Brits (and other colonizers) were. The truth is so painful and wretched, and there’s no way to explain it beyond greed and ruthlessness. 
ETA: King Leopold’s Ghost is an excellent and excruciating read. Leopold also advised Q Victoria on how to “deal” with the colonies. Awful, but well researched and grounded in painful truths.

Given that the BRF has an estimated worth of 88 billion, I don’t think security for baby Archie is too much to ask.

source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/british-royal-family-richest-people-2017-11%3famp

Thanks for the recommendation.  I will track down that book.

1 hour ago, apandaaries said:

Given that the BRF has an estimated worth of 88 billion, I don’t think security for baby Archie is too much to ask.

source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/british-royal-family-richest-people-2017-11%3famp

Not disagreeing with the need for/justificiation of security for Archie - just the cost.  That seems like a huge amount.  Does it really cost that much in California?

• Upvote 2

Security which they are already paying for themselves aside California in general and specifically the style they live in  Is incredibly  expensive. Drivers, staff, appropriate clothing for Meg to keep up with Hollywood set, nannies and eventually expensive schools( who really believes they will go to public school?) and activities for the children not to mention vacations and other travel and general up keep of the mansion they live in. All this every year for the foreseeable future will not be sustainable on what they have now.  

But they did say they wanted financial independence and now they have it. The ball is their corner now. 

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, tabitha2 said:

Security which they are already paying for themselves aside California in general and specifically the style they live in  Is incredibly  expensive. Drivers, staff, appropriate clothing for Meg to keep up with Hollywood set, nannies and eventually expensive schools( who really believes they will go to public school?) and activities for the children not to mention vacations and other travel and general up keep of the mansion they live in. All this every year for the foreseeable future will not be sustainable on what they have now.  

But they did say they wanted financial independence and now they have it. The ball is their corner now. 

Maybe they'll find out what it is to live the life of an average family of four.  Probably not, but perhaps the reality they need to confront?  

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

I wonder how many designers simply send Meghan clothes just because she attracts all the attention & that would be great publicity for the designer.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, truthseeker said:
Not disagreeing with the need for/justificiation of security for Archie - just the cost.  That seems like a huge amount.  Does it really cost that much in California?

I did a quick google last night and all the reputable news articles I found said 4 million pounds. I have no idea where the other figure being bandied about comes from but it was in none of the 6 articles I quickly scanned. I looked because it seemed high to me too. IMHO it’s not a tall ask for billionaires. 

ETA: I managed to fuck up the quote in such a way none of my usual tricks to fix it will work, so just to be clear, I was quoting Truthseeker above. (I can't tag either. Somehow this post is truly fucked up)

Edited by Destiny
  • Thank You 6

That’s a fair point but as much as she probably would like to be she is no Angelina or Scar Jo. They may or may not send her outfits but that’s not dependable for indefinitely.

It’s not the whole Royal family paying though. It’s either Charles alone and even he don’t have unlimited fund s for 18 years or the Government who won’t pony up like that for a figureheads run away grandson and family.Besides Harry is grown ass man who needs to support his own family and not rely on dad. He wanted this life do he needs to deal now. 

Edited by tabitha2

4 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Oprah is seen as a profound journalist but what she presents is mostly in the category of personal remarks than what would be done for a top notch documentary.

Since when?  She’s a talk show host - she has no credibility as a journalist.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

16 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

It’s not the whole Royal family paying though. It’s either Charles alone and even he don’t have unlimited fund s for 18 years or the Government who won’t pony up like that for a figureheads run away grandson and family.

If a loving granny won't kick in some money to save her supposedly beloved family from literal death when she has billions, she's shitty at being loving imho. 

I in no way think that the BRF should be paying for their lifestyle. Food, clothes, shelter etc is all on them IMHO and should be for the "proper" royals too however they decide to make that work for their family in the weird construct they have. I have no problem with saying by leaving that construct we aren't going to pay your rent. (I have no idea how they divvy up their money. I've thought more about the damn British Royal Family this week than I have in months, maybe years.) Security on the other hand? Harry didn't ask to be born a prince, and they've been using to prop up the image of the monarchy his whole life. He deserves that regardless of if they live in a trailer park in bumfuck nowhere or in a mansion in Bel Air. 

Edited by Destiny
just woke up and words are hard.
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 4

4 hours ago, apandaaries said:

Yet per this thread they still take money from the taxpayers.  Why they continue to subsidize these people I wish I could understand.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

Right and as I said he is paying for his own as of right now so I really don’t know it’s such a topic lol. Charles is done with it .

2 minutes ago, Destiny said:

If a loving granny won't kick in some money to save her supposedly beloved family from literal death when she has billions, she's shitty at being loving imho. 

I in no way think that the BRF should be paying for their lifestyle. Food, clothes, shelter etc is all on them IMHO and should be for the "proper" royals too. (I have no idea if it is. I've thought more about the damn British Royal Family this week than I have in months, maybe years.) Security on the other hand? Harry didn't ask to be born a prince, and they've been using to prop up the image of the monarchy his whole life. He deserves that regardless of if they live in a trailer park in bumfuck nowhere or in a mansion in Bel Air. 

Fair point. On the other hand, why should she when her grandson has millions of his own? Most people won’t have to lift another finger with that kind of money. With smart investments they can easily afford security, but they would have to cut back on other stuff. Maybe a 2,5 mil mansion? That’s two years of security (if you believe the 4 mil number) alone....

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

2 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Yet per this thread they still take money from the taxpayers.  Why they continue to subsidize these people I wish I could understand.

No kidding. This whole system is so weird. I don't understand at all what the British people really get in return for these tax dollars. I'm sure it's a function of cultural differences and what you grew up with, but I still find it weird AF. If the British people want them, go nuts I guess, but I still think the whole concept is weird AF and the family itself is dysfunctional AF. 

1 minute ago, just_ordinary said:

Fair point. On the other hand, why should she when her grandson has millions of his own? Most people won’t have to lift another finger with that kind of money. With smart investments they can easily afford security, but they would have to cut back on other stuff. Maybe a 2,5 mil mansion? That’s two years of security (if you believe the 4 mil number) alone....

If he was allowed to work without censure, I agree. He's in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation -- look at how many people were upset about the Netflix and Spotify was it deals, and he was literally not ALLOWED to work before that. I think their supposed "exit deal" which tbh sounds more like toe the line or we cut you off from the outside, should have included security for x number of years to give them time and a plan to cover those costs without making it look like something they NEED is a very pretty trap to force them to do something the family wants. 

A if you leave we will pay for security for 5 years till you figure it out, and for Harry and Archie we will pay half or something of that nature after that would have been less cruel to a supposedly beloved family member. The way it was done comes across to me, a disinterested outsider as a cruel toe the line or else. That's not a good look for the BRF if that's the conclusion someone who doesn't really give a fuck came to. 

I need to get my ass to work. If anyone sees me in this thread for a bit, yell at me. 

• Upvote 7

A loving granny wouldn't make relatives  bow to her in private. This isn't a family, it is an antiquated business that employees are born into and put to work as infants. They are trotted out for public display often the day they are born!

It is insane that people this rich are taking money from tax payers. 

Edited by formergothardite
  • Upvote 13
  • Love 1

Just now, Destiny said:

No kidding. This whole system is so weird. I don't understand at all what the British people really get in return for these tax dollars. I'm sure it's a function of cultural differences and what you grew up with, but I still find it weird AF. If the British people want them, go nuts I guess, but I still think the whole concept is weird AF and the family itself is dysfunctional AF. 

Agree. Especially about the dysfunctional part. That is actually what makes them so much fun to watch sometimes. But many countries choose to afford some strange antics. I think we can all look at our own countries and find some extremely painful or ridiculous things. If the Brits want to keep them, that’s their prerogative. If they are happy with the institution - so be it.

I think H&M modelled their interview specifically for an US audience. They will be their new prime public stage. But now many are riled up about something they have absolutely no stock in. I wonder if they can maintain attention in the future in their own or if they will become the Thomas and Samantha of the BRF. Flogging them off whenever they realise they have been disappeared into oblivion....

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

It is insane that people this rich are taking money from tax payers. 

We also have versions of that in the US, with the tax loopholes and things that rich Americans can access. Insane in both cases.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

William just said "we are very much not a racist family" so take THAT as you will!

With the security, I think most people realize under "normal" rules, they wouldn't get security. However, rules get changed all the time. Just 10 years ago, Charlotte would have been a Lady, right? Or at least, if she was born before George, he would still be closer to the throne. The Royal Family changed the rules very recently to modernize and create more gender equality among the system.

So, how come they won't change the rules when their son/grandson/great-grandson could potentially face harm due to racial matters?

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

Gender equality did not cost any money to change, the Queen supported it already, it did not cost money to change and was popular to  virtually everyone and also money. Just money. 

Harry is not so adored people would not have a real problem  with very large amounts of cash being sent regularly to California for a family who chose to leave the Royal working life , then Britain all together and said they wanted to be financially independent. Esp when he had his own money to use. 

Edited by tabitha2

1 hour ago, front hugs > duggs said:

William just said "we are very much not a racist family" so take THAT as you will!

With the security, I think most people realize under "normal" rules, they wouldn't get security. However, rules get changed all the time. Just 10 years ago, Charlotte would have been a Lady, right? Or at least, if she was born before George, he would still be closer to the throne. The Royal Family changed the rules very recently to modernize and create more gender equality among the system.

So, how come they won't change the rules when their son/grandson/great-grandson could potentially face harm due to racial matters?

Pretty sure that wasn't the whole statement. Darn masks. I 100% expect the end of it to be "BUT [insert comment that negates the first part of the sentence]!"

• Upvote 3

The rest of the statement was to answer the Question if a talked to his brother Answer: “No. But he would be.”

Read :William gonna tear him a new ass hole and not even use the antique silver to do it ;)  

• Eyeroll 1

15 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

The rest of the statement was to answer the Question if a talked to his brother Answer: “No. But he would be.”

Read :William gonna tear him a new ass hole and not even use the antique silver to do it ;)  

If you would have watched, you would have realized that he was asked about talking to his brother BEFORE he was asked about if they were racist. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

Either way William is not happy and will let his little brother know. I would say the Calm Prince will go and the pissed military man  will show ;)

• Bless Your Heart 1
  • Eyeroll 1

To say they aren’t a racist family without at the exact same time acknowledging all the very recent racist stuff shows that William is still in denial about racism in the family. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 2

If they weren't a racist family, they'd have stopped the racist crap being spewed about Meghan and Archie. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

I really find it interesting that through talking about their experiences with racism by the press and allegedly from their own family (word against word with this one, might be true, might be a misunderstanding, there definitely WERE tremendous issues with racism in the past with this family, so...) they effectively managed to have the world overlook all the shady things THEY have done.

Which is one big reason I have a hard time believing them 100% with all their allegations having talen place exactly as they (vaguely) described them. Meghan has been VERY insincere (and in some instances petty) in the past. Mainly the whole shtick about not knowing Harry (whilst owning a biography of Diana AND having visited Buckingham Palace as a tourist). She 100% knew and lied (if he believed that, he is not the sharpest crayon in the box either).

Then the announcing her first pregnancy way before the 12 week mark AT THE WEDDING of Eugenie, wearing a partially unbuttoned cloak to make it look like she has a bump. That is attention seeking behaviour and rather unseeming. The announcement of the second one was more to emulate Diana (who announced her pregnancy on Valentines Day too) IMO, so I don't really think she tried to upstage Eugenie again (but she REALLY likes to put parallels between her and Diana, which is kind of sweet, but IMHO a liiiiiittle bit weird). I did not really believe the story about Meghan wanting the emerald tiara for HER wedding and throwing a fit before, but then again, those actions do not really help her case there.

Then there is the Wimbledon desaster and their constant hemorraghing of staff (some of which have worked for the royal family for a LONG time beforehand), the bullying allegations against Meghan, her excessive wardrobe budget and so on.

I have a feeling that them mentioning racism and mental health struggles have resulted in ALL other issues, where THEY look bad, being overlooked. It IS sad and horrible what they have been subjected to by the tabloids (and quite a bit of it was RIDICULOUSLY bad in fact), and being in a golden cage of a age old, restrictive and partly unfeeling institiution must have been hard, but we do not know if she really got NO sympathy for her mental health struggles, WHO she went to, at what point things were just misconstrued or miscommunicated and so on. And they DID keep their allegations extremely vague.

I wonder if it's because Kate attempted to help (in a super dysfunctional, minimizing, harmful way (quote by @Giraffe)

See, why the judgy use of words? If Meghan wanted an inpatient stay, that is one thing. Nothing Kate could have said to her (short of booking her one?) would have been sufficient for Meghan. It might just be that Kates response was objectively helpful, or at least very empathic and just not what Meghan expected, wanted or needed. I have several people in my life who (if they even accept advice) only want very particular advice and anything else gets thrown out as bad and unhelpful. Kate has in all her engagements and behaviour in the past, always exuded warmth. Why would she suddenly be minimizing and be dysfunctional? She went to therapy appointments with her brother for example, why would she harm Meghan? Might have happened, but I find it unlikely, tbh

If it even WAS Kate, that is....of course!

Edited by Babsi
  • Upvote 6

6 minutes ago, Babsi said:

I really find it interesting that through talking about their experiences with racism by the press and allegedly from their own family (word against word with this one, might be true, might be a misunderstanding, there definitely WERE tremendous issues with racism in the past with this family, so...) they effectively managed to have the world overlook all the shady things THEY have done.

Which is one big reason I have a hard time believing them 100% with all their allegations having talen place exactly as they (vaguely) described them. Meghan has been VERY insincere (and in some instances petty) in the past. Mainly the whole shtick about not knowing Harry (whilst owning a biography of Diana AND having visited Buckingham Palace as a tourist). She 100% knew and lied (if he believed that, he is not the sharpest crayon in the box either).

Then the announcing her first pregnancy way before the 12 week mark AT THE WEDDING of Eugenie, wearing a partially unbuttoned cloak to make it look like she has a bump. That is attention seeking behaviour and rather unseeming. The announcement of the second one was more to emulate Diana (who announced her pregnancy on Valentines Day too) IMO, so I don't really think she tried to upstage Eugenie again (but she REALLY likes to put parallels between her and Diana, which is kind of sweet, but IMHO a liiiiiittle bit weird). I did not really believe the story about Meghan wanting the emerald tiara for HER wedding and throwing a fit before, but then again, those actions do not really help her case there.

Then there is the Wimbledon desaster and their constant hemorraghing of staff (some of which have worked for the royal family for a LONG time beforehand), the bullying allegations against Meghan, her excessive wardrobe budget and so on.

I have a feeling that them mentioning racism and mental health struggles have resulted in ALL other issues, where THEY look bad, being overlooked. It IS sad and horrible what they have been subjected to by the tabloids (and quite a bit of it was RIDICULOUSLY bad in fact), and being in a golden cage of a age old, restrictive and partly unfeeling institiution must have been hard, but we do not know if she really got NO sympathy for her mental health struggles, WHO she went to, at what point things were just misconstrued or miscommunicated and so on. And they DID keep their allegations extremely vague.

See, why the judgy use of words? If Meghan wanted an inpatient stay, that is one thing. Nothing Kate could have said to her (short of booking her one?) would have been sufficient for Meghan. It might just be that Kates response was objectively helpful, or at least very empathic and just not what Meghan expected, wanted or needed. I have several people in my life who (if they even accept advice) only want very particular advice and anything else gets thrown out as bad and unhelpful. Kate has in all her engagements and behaviour in the past, always exuded warmth. Why would she suddenly be minimizing and be dysfunctional? She went to therapy appointments with her brother for example, why would she harm Meghan? Might have happened, but I find it unlikely, tbh

If it even WAS Kate, that is....of course!

My aunt's ex was very WARM and inviting to my dad. However, when he found out my dad was raising my brother as a Jew, my aunt's ex lost his damn mind. You can be warm and inviting, and still have racial biases.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 5

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked and locked this topic