IGNORED

Maxwell 43: Divesting from the First Church of Stevehovah Reversalist

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

How old is Anna? She is close to being in the same boat. Where are these ladies supposed to meet eligible men? Most fundies of those ages are married. I suppose there are many males Bates and Duggars, but I’m thinking those families, especially the Duggars, would be a hard no for Steve; far too worldly and far too close to Josh Duggar. Also, the Duggars lack apparent skills and worth ethic.

Anna is 28. Mary is 24. I suppose Lawson Bates is a possibility for Anna as they're the same age, if Steve actually likes his music. Trace may be for Mary if Steve is ok with him being about 6 months younger. I can't believe it's been 10 years since Anna's post about why she's not going to college.......

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

A suitor for Anna, Mary and Sarah I expect would need to have / be the following:

- A fundamentalist conservative Christian 

- A Christian who is extremely familiar with Bible text (because this is all the Maxwells can really discuss) and completely non-questioning.

- I imagine he would have to have a certain appearance / dress code. I remember Steve talking in a corner about young men with out with their father with smart shirts tucked in and so forth.....you know the “good Christian” look.

- Homeschooled. I doubt even a lovely Christian man who had actually been to school or college would be approved.

- A home owner. No mortgage.

- Willing to move to Kansas. Let’s face it, all the sisters in law had to relocate but he’s not going to let the girls move. I seriously doubt it anyway.

- running their own business, successfully, and not employed or under authority of anyone else.

- Running a business that’s Steve approved. I imagine for example if the family had a vineyard and the man made his living selling wine and was debt free it wouldn’t be right. 

That would be my guess on criteria. A tricky one to find. I imagine the family of the suitor with be scrutinised with a fine tooth comb. Imagine if he had divorced parents, step siblings? I think they are expecting perfection and will accept nothing less - the Maxwell men are trusted to mould their wives as leaders but the girls need the perfect Maxwell model to come forward.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

I remember seeing the Family Photo post from a few years ago, and Sarah replied to a comment with something about her and her sisters being married and likely living in different states, and how much harder it would be to coordinate family photos or something like that. 

I figure when we girls are married and likely live out of state, picture time will get more interesting! So I guess whomever is around gets to be in the picture!

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 6
  • Thank You 3

3 hours ago, BullyJBG said:

I suppose Lawson Bates is a possibility for Anna

I doubt Lawson would consider Anna. Lawson strikes me as the sort of person who puts a very high priority in how things look. I think he'll end up with someone who looks like Josie  (or that model who was in one of his videos)  ie someone whose hair/makeup/clothes and overall look are very instagram friendly. 

If Steve wants his daughters to get married he is going have to let them get out and about. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 9
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, browngrl said:

I doubt Lawson would consider Anna. Lawson strikes me as the sort of person who puts a very high priority in how things look. I think he'll end up with someone who looks like Josie  (or that model who was in one of his videos)  ie someone whose hair/makeup/clothes and overall look are very instagram friendly. 

If Steve wants his daughters to get married he is going have to let them get out and about. 

I agree. If Lawson finally marries, it will be to a beautiful fundie girl with long blonde hair and super fashionable modest clothing. But I don’t think Lawson wants to marry. He loves his single life. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 7

On 10/31/2020 at 5:03 PM, Nothing if not critical said:

I completely understand the sentiment, but my experience with my kids has been that, sadly, a lot of children's books don't age well. About the only books my kids enjoyed as much as I did were the various Astrid Lindgren stories, and maybe Anne of Green Gables. All the others turned out to be either too stuffy or too racist/sexist/whatever.

On the bright side, I discovered a whole new world of stories together with my kids by reading the newer stuff to them. It also didn't hurt that I was already a huge Harry Potter fan by the time I had them - instant bonding potential. Nowadays both the kids and I are mostly into fan fiction and we swap recommendations. They have great taste! 

I actually had the Beverly Cleary books in mind when I wrote my comment. I've re-read them many times and they are still just as wonderful as always.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 5

Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel, Run Away Bunny, Bread & Jam for Francis....there is so much amazing children literature.....Harriet the Spy, From the Mixed Up Files of....the list goes on and on.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 4

I really hope something like “hard to coordinate family photos” is not a reason for turning potential marriage partners away....

Oh wait. It probably is.

Im starting to wonder how early Jesse sprung the rental apartment idea on them - my guess is he signed and sealed it and paid a deposit before telling them. And I bet Joe (it is Joe who’s moved isn’t it?) let out an almighty “yes!!!!” And went running to his wife shouting Jesse’s made his move now we can!!!!!”

I like to imagine anyway.

Actually I forgot to add to my male suitor requirements above that they must not like sports. I’m just picturing a young man, Christian, helps others, has his own business, doesn’t drink, great with kids, an overall lovely person.....but is a baseball fan for example. Supports a team, watches them play frequently with family and friends, has some merchandise for said team on display- I can imagine that would also break a deal.

Edited by allyisyourpally5
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

11 hours ago, BullyJBG said:

Anna is 28. Mary is 24. I suppose Lawson Bates is a possibility for Anna as they're the same age, if Steve actually likes his music. Trace may be for Mary if Steve is ok with him being about 6 months younger. I can't believe it's been 10 years since Anna's post about why she's not going to college.......

Lawson has nothing in common with Maxwells, religion aside. He lives for travelling and FUN and is very wordly. Also he seems to be attracted to stunning girls, which Anna isn't (don't get me wrong, she's average but no Lawson type). A Maxwellian man works and prays and has family time, and his free time is more family time and more Bible time.

I think Mary could attract Lawson, but only if she was allowed to use make up and wear more modern outfits. The fact that she is sooooo naïf and soooo isolated may attract Lawson, if he is looking for an extremely submissive wife that leaves him do whatever he pleases. But Steve would never ever accept that marriage.

• Upvote 13

New Post: A Call to Action. I don't know why I am surprised each and every time but once again the Maxwells equate being prolife as being profetus. And they won't accept hateful comments on the blogs - I can only assume that comments such as "no president, Democratic or Republican, has overturned Roe v. Wade... but there is a President who doesn't believe that 230,000 dead is a big deal" is a hateful comment. Gad, this type of attitude drives me mad. I think I may have to stay off the Internet until December.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 9

3 hours ago, jegfile said:

New Post: A Call to Action. I don't know why I am surprised each and every time but once again the Maxwells equate being prolife as being profetus. And they won't accept hateful comments on the blogs - I can only assume that comments such as "no president, Democratic or Republican, has overturned Roe v. Wade... but there is a President who doesn't believe that 230,000 dead is a big deal" is a hateful comment. Gad, this type of attitude drives me mad. I think I may have to stay off the Internet until December.

That kind of made me gag. If LIFE is so important to the good American kritchen, why do they vote for the man who tears children from their parents & puts them in cages? Why do they vote for the candidate that left all international cooperatives for health & climate change? Why do they vote for the candidate who doesn't care that over 230,000 Americans are dead? Why do they vote for the candidate who encourages violence & terrorism among US Citizens? 

The cognitive dissonance among evangelicals is astonishing. Completely and totally astonishing. They care more about the fetus in a woman's womb and forcing her to carry that fetus to term no matter the circumstances they know nothing about, than they do about people who are living, breathing and walking the earth already. There is nothing - absolutely nothing - that is "pro life" about evangelicals / American kristchens. 

Pretty funny Sarah says they won't post comments that are argumentative or unkind. First, when have they ever posted a comment that even remotely disagrees with them or isn't altered to fit their narrative? Second, they are voting for the most argumentative, unkind subhuman in the United States. 

Edited by fundiefan
  • Upvote 16
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 2

14 hours ago, allyisyourpally5 said:

A suitor for Anna, Mary and Sarah I expect would need to have / be the following:

- A fundamentalist conservative Christian 

- A Christian who is extremely familiar with Bible text (because this is all the Maxwells can really discuss) and completely non-questioning.

- I imagine he would have to have a certain appearance / dress code. I remember Steve talking in a corner about young men with out with their father with smart shirts tucked in and so forth.....you know the “good Christian” look.

- Homeschooled. I doubt even a lovely Christian man who had actually been to school or college would be approved.

- A home owner. No mortgage.

- Willing to move to Kansas. Let’s face it, all the sisters in law had to relocate but he’s not going to let the girls move. I seriously doubt it anyway.

- running their own business, successfully, and not employed or under authority of anyone else.

- Running a business that’s Steve approved. I imagine for example if the family had a vineyard and the man made his living selling wine and was debt free it wouldn’t be right. 

That would be my guess on criteria. A tricky one to find. I imagine the family of the suitor with be scrutinised with a fine tooth comb. Imagine if he had divorced parents, step siblings? I think they are expecting perfection and will accept nothing less - the Maxwell men are trusted to mould their wives as leaders but the girls need the perfect Maxwell model to come forward.

You nailed it!  Any potential suitor would have to be as dour as Steve.  Steve would have to be out of the picture before any daughter has a chance.  Then perhaps one of the reversal brothers or their wives would help them find a husband.  I deliberately left out Christopher and Nathan as I think they like the free babysitting and might prefer the status quo.  I also wonder how many girls could leave home before Teri's depression kicks back in.

• Upvote 10

6 hours ago, allyisyourpally5 said:

Actually I forgot to add to my male suitor requirements above that they must not like sports. I’m just picturing a young man, Christian, helps others, has his own business, doesn’t drink, great with kids, an overall lovely person.....but is a baseball fan for example. Supports a team, watches them play frequently with family and friends, has some merchandise for said team on display- I can imagine that would also break a deal.

I don't think so. Nathan went to an actual gym and many Maxwells friends play sports. Some über-perfect-fundies like Rachel Wissman go to wordly vacations like cruises for example. Steve can decide to ignore little details, especially now that he has 3 single daughters and 1 of them is already "out of the market".

I think Teri and Steve were very inflexible about Sarah's suitors (Sarah was, too), but nowadays they must regret it. Anyway, I think the biggest problem Anna and Mary have is that they are very childlike (or they seem to be), which would be OK if they were 18 year old brides marrying 18 year old grooms. I hope I'm wrong, but I think even fundie men find them excessively immature.

• Upvote 11

I don’t that Sarah, Anna, or Mary are going to get married. They see their father as the best man in the world & no one in their minds can measure up to him. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 5

So Poor Uneducated Sarah is telling us how to vote again.  I am pro life that is why I voted for Biden. Maxwells and their ilk are pro pregnancy.

Edited by SPHASH
spelling
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 12

3 hours ago, Jana814 said:

That’s all the Maxwell’s & most Christians seem to care about a candidate who will vote for life. 

Fetus life. Not the life of any person outside a woman's womb.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 6

4 hours ago, Jana814 said:

That’s all the Maxwell’s & most Christians seem to care about a candidate who will vote for life. 

That's not very nuanced...

• Upvote 9
  • Bless Your Heart 1

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Mary and Anna’s best chances are with guys like the Staddons. 

Or the Ardnts.  Three brides for three brothers!!!

Edited by Tatar-tot
  • Upvote 7

Just now, Tatar-tot said:

Or the Ardnts.

Oh no way. Steve would pass out at the sight of the tiny white shorts. The Staddons are quite modest and would pass Steve’s modesty standards. Cathy Arndt and Wizzy would not.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 5
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Tatar-tot said:

Or the Ardnts.

Never. The Arndts have made softball an idol. AND then there are Cathy's shorty shorts...

Actually, I am a bit surprised the Maxwells endorse Trump. I thought they might vote for some small party alternative candidate who, of course, won't get elected but that way they could say they didn't sell their souls. Is the Constitution Party active any way?

edit. White shorts already mentioned...

Edited by LurkerOverThePond
  • Upvote 10

• Coconut Flan locked this topic