IGNORED

Jinjer 54: Three Month Countdown to Evangeline's Arrival on November 22

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, Idlewild said:

Jeremy posted a photo of him with Jordyn so it appears some Duggars are visiting for the birth of the baby.

I saw that. I wondered if Jordyn was being dropped off to help with Felicity. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, JMO said:

I saw that. I wondered if Jordyn was being dropped off to help with Felicity. 

I think only Jeremy can go to the hospital with Jinger so there are plenty of adults to help with Felicity.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

My guess is that JB, Michelle, Jana and the four youngest girls are all there. If I were Jinger, I would have only wanted Michelle and Jana there, not all of the extra craziness.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Hey I have a silly question that the Amelia discussion reminded me of.... how many syllables in the word 'orange'?  I know a lot of people say it with 2 but could it count as a 1 syllable word if you say it quickly?

I say it with 2 syllables (so it sounds like "ar-ange") but I have heard people pronounce it all as one syllable because they skip right over the 'a'. It sounds like "ornge" to me. It's like how crayon can be pronounced "cray-on" or "crahn" depending.

• Upvote 4

Isn't Jeremy's mother there too? Wasn't she in a video with them last week? I could handle Diana being there. She appears to be a competent,  calm person. But the bunch of Duggars would be way too much.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 9

Jana just posted on instagram. She's out flying somewhere with Jed&Jer. If she's telling the truth about it being today, she is either not there at all, or on her way there right now. My money is "on her way".

28 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

My guess is that JB, Michelle, Jana and the four youngest girls are all there. If I were Jinger, I would have only wanted Michelle and Jana there, not all of the extra craziness.

Edited by xenobia
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

I assume the hospital isn’t going to allow filming so all the Duggars will be filming stuff on their phones to pad out the episode. I’m sure they’ll all mask up and talk about the pandemic even though we know they don’t bother normally.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

Why did Jeremy have the word Nike blacked out on his shirt ?

Edited by Coconut Flan
Removed tapatalk signature.
  • Haha 5

59 minutes ago, Anna Bolinas said:

It's like how crayon can be pronounced "cray-on" or "crahn" depending.

Woah, really?! That's bizarre to me, it's like how 'madam' became 'ma'am' by dropping the entire middle of the word.
(Not offense to anyone here who says 'crahn', who knows what I say that sounds weird to others...)

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

I assume the hospital isn’t going to allow filming so all the Duggars will be filming stuff on their phones to pad out the episode. I’m sure they’ll all mask up and talk about the pandemic even though we know they don’t bother normally.

As far as I know, none of them will be allowed at the hospital at all. Just one support person with the mom. Presumably Jeremy, although I know some women who might opt for a sister or their mom instead.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

6 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Hey I have a silly question that the Amelia discussion reminded me of.... how many syllables in the word 'orange'?  I know a lot of people say it with 2 but could it count as a 1 syllable word if you say it quickly?  It came up last night when our family was playing "Poetry for Neanderthals" where you may only use 1 syllable words to describe something.  One of my kids was describing a carrot as 'orange food' and got dinged by another player.  The thing is that when he says 'orange' it really does just sound like one syllable.  

I literally cannot imagine any way to say the word orange as one syllable haha

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, OrchidBlossom said:

I literally cannot imagine any way to say the word orange as one syllable haha

I want it noted that I've been trying for an hour... I can't stop now.

• Haha 9

4 hours ago, xenobia said:

Jana just posted on instagram. She's out flying somewhere with Jed&Jer. If she's telling the truth about it being today, she is either not there at all, or on her way there right now. My money is "on her way".

Well then who’s at home feeding the howlers? Anna? Or do you just leave out a big bowl of kibble like I do for my cat when we go somewhere for a few days.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 29

6 hours ago, JDuggs said:

Josie was shopping with Anna on Saturday. Johanna was babysitting Joy's kids on the Oklahoma hunting trip. The only Lost Girl unaccounted for is Jennifer. I guess she got left at the TTH.

I highly suspect Jana's plane shot was taken on Saturday and that little [fill in the blank] has been born. I bet we'll hear all about it in a People exclusive in the morning.

Edited by marmalade
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, OrchidBlossom said:

I want it noted that I've been trying for an hour... I can't stop now.

ornj

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 4

I say 'mirror' as one syllable- 'myrrh' is the closest sound to my pronunciation. Also orange is a one syllable word. Also was brought up pronouncing the letter 'R' as 'or' rather than 'ar'. But I do that less now as I had to change my pronunciation when I was teaching English as a second language.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

I just thought of the episode of 30 rock where Jenna's in a movie called the rural juror (the rurrr jurrr) and nobody knows what it's called until they see it written down ?

Here's how to say orange in one - ornge.

Try making oranges two instead of three - orn-ges

• Upvote 6
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

On 11/23/2020 at 4:12 AM, artdecades said:

It’s just accents or regional or whatever. Most Americans pronounce Amelia as uh-meel-ya. Mia is mee-ya. It’s like how Europeans say Alicia uh-Lee-see-uh and Americans say uh-lee-sha. 

Is it okay if I get a bit geeky about linguistics for a minute?

In terms of phonemes, if a syllable is dropped in a word it’s technically called a syncope and it usually (but not always) happens before an R or L.

I’ll use the word squirrel as an example so that it doesn’t look like I’m picking on anyone by using words they suggested ?

It’s a hard one though, because of the q diphone.

Anyway, if we look at the IPA of the word, there are 7 phonemes (sounds): s-k-w-i-rr-e-l. In terms of graphemes, there are 4 graphs, 1 digraph and 1 diphone.

Traditionally each syllable has a vowel sound and in squirrel, the /i/ and /e/ give those two syllables. Breaking it down further, the pronunciation of the /i/ is where the accent variation comes in, and the schwa (e) is the one dropped when people say it with one syllable.

It doesn’t mean it actually has one syllable - it still has two - it just means that one of them is a syncope for some people. Same with many other examples given in this thread.

Names are a little different for cultural and personal reasons, so I’m not going to argue with anyone who chooses the name Amelia for their daughter that it absolutely has 4 syllables. They can think it has 3, but from a different POV it has 4, with some people pronouncing it with 3 because of a syncope.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk. Next week I’ll be on a high horse about another random piece of information which most people class as useless trivia. Stay tuned! It could be about etymology (which is where the difference in pronunciation for Alicia comes in). Or it could even be about the non-rhotic accent which changes/drops an entirely different phoneme.

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 6
  • Love 11

23 hours ago, Idlewild said:

Jeremy posted a photo of him with Jordyn so it appears some Duggars are visiting for the birth of the baby.

Probably have cameras ? in tow.....

20 hours ago, Heidijoey said:

Why did Jeremy have the word Nike blacked out on his shirt ?

TLC???

• samurai_sarah locked this topic