IGNORED

Jinjer 54: Three Month Countdown to Evangeline's Arrival on November 22

Coconut Flan

I can see sending the older girls with Joy since Evelyn is still quite little. But why not bring Josie along with Jordyn to CA? It’s not like they’re concerned about COVID restrictions. Is she not mature enough to also be on ‘toddler duty’ even though she is nearly 11?  

Josie is the Jackson of the lost girls...

ETA I soooo want to rescue Jenni and Jordyn...I think they would love hanging out with my kids and niece since they are similar ages. 

Edited by Snarkasarus Rex
  • I Agree 3

13 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

It just occurred to me why did Jordyn go with M to LA and not Johanna? Jinger was Johanna's sister mom, I remember video of Johanna holding Joy's hand while laboring w/ Gideon, so she's attended part of at least 1 birth.  Instead of going to LA to watch Felicity she went to OK w/ Jenni & the Forsyth's. 

So if M had Jordyn, Joy had Johanna & Jenni, who was watching Josie? Jana went to LA too, was she left w/ Anna?  

There was a recent IG of Jana, Josie and others at the TTH making Pies for TGD. 

On 11/29/2020 at 2:39 AM, AussieKrissy said:

And we have it confirmed... 

4AB4FBBA-3412-465F-9F2E-F44D16B411F5.jpeg

is this an American thing? One of my nieces in the US has a -line name too that I'd only ever heard pronounced -leen. My FIL texted us saying 'rhymes with washing line'. In the UK that pronunciation would be regarded as quite ignorant, I don't mean that rudely at all, I'm one of those people who pronounces all kinds of words wrong having only read them and not heard them. But in that sense I am willing to be corrected rather than argue 'but it can be pronounced X'. I guess names are lot less neutral than words though, and if you just like the sound of one pronunciation, that's more of a consideration for a child than just in passing conversation. I don't know.

Speaking of cousins naming their children the same thing, my great grandmother's name was on the shortlist for my daughter, and thank god we didn't choose it as my cousin used it for her baby 3 months later and apparently had always been certain that's what she'd call her. This was quite a specific vintagey name, not trendy and not Mary or Catherine, and I think it would have been quite hurtful to her if I'd gazumped her on it. We don't see each other much but that kind of makes it worse - if we were close we could have laughed it off.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, AprilQuilt said:

is this an American thing? One of my nieces in the US has a -line name too that I'd only ever heard pronounced -leen. My FIL texted us saying 'rhymes with washing line'. In the UK that pronunciation would be regarded as quite ignorant, I don't mean that rudely at all, I'm one of those people who pronounces all kinds of words wrong having only read them and not heard them. But in that sense I am willing to be corrected rather than argue 'but it can be pronounced X'. I guess names are lot less neutral than words though, and if you just like the sound of one pronunciation, that's more of a consideration for a child than just in passing conversation. I don't know.

I'm American, and I don't think I've ever heard Evangeline pronounced with -line, only -leen. The only names I can think of that I've heard pronounced with -line are Caroline, Adeline and Madeline, with Caroline always pronounced -line, and the other two sometimes pronounced -line but not always.

Edit to say that I've only heard Caroline pronounced with -line in the US, but I've heard it with -leen elsewhere.

Edited by OHFL2009
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

There was a recent IG of Jana, Josie and others at the TTH making Pies for TGD. 

So?  Michelle & Jordyn, Jana, Joy, Austin, Johanna & Jenni were all out of town the weekend BEFORE Thanksgiving, when Prop #2 was born on Sunday the 22nd.

It just seemed odd that precious miracle Josie wasn't included in the miracle of prop #2s birth or Joy's sister trip to go hunting.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, OHFL2009 said:

I'm American, and I don't think I've ever heard Evangeline pronounced with -line, only -leen. The only names I can think of that I've heard pronounced with -line are Caroline, Adeline and Madeline, with Caroline always pronounced -line, and the other two sometimes pronounced -line but not always.

We've had the a discussion of Caroline before, but Caroline Kennedy is supposed to be pronounced Caro-line (long i).  Caroline Ingalls, too. except on the TV show LHOP.  Everybody except Harriet Oleson pronounced it Carolyn.  Harriet pronounced it with the long i.  If you want to call your baby Carolyn, spell it that way.  Same with Madelyn.  If you speak a language other than English, then these rules don't apply, of course and many European languages have their own variants of these names, like Carolina like the Spanish Carolina pronounces not like the states North and South, but like Car-ol-eena.

We found out after we named our daughter Rachel, that my husband's sister had intended to name the daughter she miscarried Rachel.  We didn't know that in time to avoid naming our daughter Rachel and we sure were not going to change our her name.  

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

We've had the a discussion of Caroline before, but Caroline Kennedy is supposed to be pronounced Caro-line (long i).  Caroline Ingalls, too. except on the TV show LHOP.  Everybody except Harriet Oleson pronounced it Carolyn.  Harriet pronounced it with the long i.  If you want to call your baby Carolyn, spell it that way.  Same with Madelyn.  If you speak a language other than English, then these rules don't apply, of course and many European languages have their own variants of these names, like Carolina like the Spanish Carolina pronounces not like the states North and South, but like Car-ol-eena.

Yep, everyone I know who pronounces it Caro-lin is Carolyn, and Caro-line is Caroline. Except our European friends, who pronounce Caroline as Caro-leen. But Madeline I've heard as both Made-line and Made-lin. But then something like Jaqueline, I've only heard as Jack-a-lin, never Jack-a-line (in the US; elsewhere I've heard Jacque-leen). I think it probably somewhat depends on the language of origin of the name, and how it was brought to/popularized in the US.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

So?  Michelle & Jordyn, Jana, Joy, Austin, Johanna & Jenni were all out of town the weekend BEFORE Thanksgiving, when Prop #2 was born on Sunday the 22nd.

It just seemed odd that precious miracle Josie wasn't included in the miracle of prop #2s birth or Joy's sister trip to go hunting.

But why? I know WE all group them together, and I’m sure to some extent the family does - but in real life the different siblings have different interests and capacities. An almost 12 Jordyn - who seems like a calm kid- is probably helpful at distracting a toddler. Teenage Jennifer and Johanna are likely quite capable of caring for two little ones- and having fun with their older sister. A more boisterous, slightly immature 10 year old Josie might just be more work and better at home. That’s nothing against Josie - or how she is parented- kids mature differently and have different personalities. I can certainly think of kids in my family who would be an actual help at that age- and ones who most definitely wouldn’t. There’s nothing wrong with that- they are kids.

Edited by Mama Mia
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, OHFL2009 said:

Yep, everyone I know who pronounces it Caro-lin is Carolyn, and Caro-line is Caroline. Except our European friends, who pronounce Caroline as Caro-leen. But Madeline I've heard as both Made-line and Made-lin. But then something like Jaqueline, I've only heard as Jack-a-lin, never Jack-a-line (in the US; elsewhere I've heard Jacque-leen). I think it probably somewhat depends on the language of origin of the name, and how it was brought to/popularized in the US.

Jacqueline Kennedy pronounced her name jack-LEEN.Most people I know, including in my own family, say JACK-que-lynn. The French pronunciation can come off as pretentious if you're not French.
Then again, I read MAD-a-lyn and Eh-VAN-ja-lyn.

But my name is pronounced Pa-TREE-sha and I can say it a thousand times and the person always comes back with Pa-TRISH-a.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, OHFL2009 said:

Caroline/Carolin is definitiv pronounced differently depending in which country you are.
I think mispronunciation of names is actually quite common and not a problem initially. As long as people do better after being corrected and eventually master it. It’s really not that hard. 

If you insist on using a unique spelling or pronunciation you just have to be prepared to go through this a lot.

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 4

5 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I wonder if Josie's risk exposure is one thing they are putting some thought into (not a lot, obviously, with gatherings like their Fall Festival) due to her premature birth and potential lung scarring.

7 hours ago, AprilQuilt said:

I'm one of those people who pronounces all kinds of words wrong having only read them and not heard them. But in that sense I am willing to be corrected rather than argue 'but it can be pronounced X'.

Someone once told me you should never laugh at someone for mispronouncing a word because it means they learnt it through reading.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 7

11 minutes ago, baldricks_turnip said:

I wonder if Josie's risk exposure is one thing they are putting some thought into (not a lot, obviously, with gatherings like their Fall Festival) due to her premature birth and potential lung scarring.

Someone once told me you should never laugh at someone for mispronouncing a word because it means they learnt it through reading.

Awww I like that. I tend to mispronounce words, but I read a lot. Although I even had to laugh at myself when I was telling my friend about how amazing the sounds were at a family cabin we were going to. I said "It's just a cacophony of sounds, from trees, to the creek...etc." Only I said it like cack-oh-phony, instead of the right way. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

In my English class at school we'd be called on to read the set text aloud, as I recall we made our way through quite a lot of Macbeth and Far From The Madding Crowd that way. Anyway, one day a girl pronounced candelabra 'can-DELLA-bra'. I still remember the laughter, and how mortified I felt for her.

Even now there are words I come out with and know from my partner's face I've got them waaaayyyy off. I earn a living through writing and yet this is still the case. 

• Upvote 6

That is the thing with English, it doesn't always sound how it's written. It puzzles me as a native Spanish speaker, because in standard Spanish everything sounds exactly as you write it. And of course I do mispronounce in English...

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

8 minutes ago, Duggarite said:

That is the thing with English, it doesn't always sound how it's written. It puzzles me as a native Spanish speaker, because in standard Spanish everything sounds exactly as you write it. And of course I do mispronounce in English...

I have to say to all the non native English speaking FJers,  I am always amazed at how good your English is! I took 8 years of French and I am sure that I would sound like a 2 year old child if I tried to write in French!

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 9

7 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Josie would have been useless in CA. Im sure they left Jordyn with Felicity. Where was JB? He probably was in CA too. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Eglantine

Margaux 

Marabella

I can see the  King of Bougie picking any of these just to sound Grand. 

It’s funny that he married the Duggar daughter with by far the least sophisticated name

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6

• samurai_sarah locked this topic