IGNORED

Jinjer 54: Three Month Countdown to Evangeline's Arrival on November 22

Coconut Flan

I know im reading way to far into this but I find it interesting that the middle name Jo is being used after Jeremy.  I know some couples who have done that when they are done having kids since the name would normally have been saved for a boy.  Is that making sense? So like I said I am probably reading too far into it but I wonder if its a hint to limiting family size

Edited by Heidijoey
spelling
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

Jinger mentioned a while back that they had the name picked out long ago. Maybe before her previous miscarriage. I don’t think it’s a big deal that it sounds similar to Evelyn. They’re cousins, not sisters. Also, they don’t live near each other and won’t be spending that much time together. With 100+ cousins expected there are bound to be some similar sounding names.

Edited by justmy2cents
  • Upvote 17
  • I Agree 11
  • Love 1

I am not keen on the name, Evangeline isn't to my taste and I don't think Jo goes well with Evangeline but Evangeline Josephine wouldn't have gone well together either. I think Evie Jo would have been a cute nickname but I doubt they will use Evie as a nickname if Joy and Austin already call Evelyn, Evy. I wasn't a fan of Felicity either, so it may be that Jinger and Jeremy's choices are not my style. 

It was announced today that council here in Scotland had named it's gritter 'Yes Sir Ice Can Boogie' the song went viral a couple of weeks ago because the Scotland football team were filmed singing it celebrating qualifying for their first tournament in 22 years. So any name I would have heard wouldn't have topped that. We have a tradition of giving our gritters funny names, it is better than giving your child funny names. 

• Upvote 11

Unpopular opinion here:

Taking into consideration pretentious Jeremy and his influence, does anyone get pretentious English major naming vibes?

Most English majors aren't pretentious. However, there is a subset that likes to pick long pretentious sounding names to remind others that they studied English Literature and you didn't.

I wonder if they next child would be Gwinevere, but that may not be religious enough for them. It's not as bad as Spurgeon, but I'm not a fan.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 5

So after Joy gets an Annabelle, a cousin is named Bella and after Joy gets an Evelyn, a cousin is named Evangeline.

I know both couples (say they) had the name picked out beforehand but I would hate it if I were Joy.

• Upvote 8
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 3

I don’t mind cousins having similar names. My 1st cousins have tons of middle names in common. Names like Lynn, Marie, Michael, etc. None of us care. And now that all my first cousins have kids, there are lots of similar sounding names and middle names. It’s not a big deal.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

Evangeline Josephine is a fine name.  Also, having a name with some of the same letters as a cousin is also fine.  Sheesh.

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • I Agree 4

I kind of like Evangeline but not the combination. I'm not sure why they used Jo because I sure as hell think that if a son is born they will name him Joseph. Personally I would want a name to be my own, not shared with my little brother. The middle name is too short too.

The Evelyn/Evangeline thing is much like when Michelle had a kid named Joseph and named the next son, born a year later, Josiah. oh and when they named the twins Jeremiah and Jedidiah. There was absolutely no creativity or individuality.

Edited by jillsdopplerofdoom
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 1

Just now, SorenaJ said:

I kind of like Evangeline. It's a little bit of a mouthful saying Felicity and Evangeline, but they kind of go together. 

I like them both too, though I tend to like longer, "flowery" names. I do think it's too close to Evelyn unless they make a point to call Evangeline something like Lina for short and not Evy (which is the nickname of the one Evangeline I know in real life--that Evangeline is also a rainbow baby and a pastor's kid, in that case her mom is an Episcopal priest).

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

I have a sister-in-law named Evangeline,  she goes by Vangie.  The name in itself is fine, but not my favorite name because not my favorite sister-in-law...??

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 9
  • Love 1

On 11/23/2020 at 2:11 PM, Ever said:

Just putting out my prediction that Jinger had her baby last night..... nothing to support it, just a vibe :) 

Ohhhh I was right! Lol My predictions have been off the mark lately but this one was spot on. I’m embarrassed to say I had a dream she gave birth Sunday..... 

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

Unpopular opinion here:

Taking into consideration pretentious Jeremy and his influence, does anyone get pretentious English major naming vibes?

Most English majors aren't pretentious. However, there is a subset that likes to pick long pretentious sounding names to remind others that they studied English Literature and you didn't.

I wonder if they next child would be Gwinevere, but that may not be religious enough for them. It's not as bad as Spurgeon, but I'm not a fan.

I get the same feeling regarding Jeremy’s pretentious naming style. While I don’t find Evangeline ugly in and of itself, I dislike the strong religious connotation. It’s a play at evangelism, etc. I reckon. (ETA: I’m referring to the name here, not the girl. Wee Evangeline is a cutie.) 

Guinevere, on the other hand, would be wonderful if you ask me. their thought of Guinevere Pendragon just makes me (maybe a little pretentious and English majoring ?) heart happy. Same with Eleonore, I love the name. 

Anyways, back to the actual topic at hand: at least the birth went well (considering Jinger was pictured in the announcement photo) and little Evangeline will be allowed to wear pants when she’s older. Other than that, I can’t really think of anything overly positive to say, with her still cultish parents. 

Edited by FluffySnowball
  • Upvote 8
  • Love 3

I love the name Evangeline. Jo seems a little short along with it, but cute. There are a zillion nicknames they could use - Eva, Angie, Vangie, Lina, etc. 

I'm usually picky about names but I like this one. 

And really, with the hundreds of cousins they're going to have, I don't think similar names are a big deal in any way. We know that's not something the Duggars care about even within ONE family.

I'm just glad both their kids names are spelled correctly. I still can't read "Jinger" as "Ginger" - it always rhymes with "bringer" in my head. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

50 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

I am not keen on the name, Evangeline isn't to my taste and I don't think Jo goes well with Evangeline but Evangeline Josephine wouldn't have gone well together either. I think Evie Jo would have been a cute nickname but I doubt they will use Evie as a nickname if Joy and Austin already call Evelyn, Evy. I wasn't a fan of Felicity either, so it may be that Jinger and Jeremy's choices are not my style. 

It was announced today that council here in Scotland had named it's gritter 'Yes Sir Ice Can Boogie' the song went viral a couple of weeks ago because the Scotland football team were filmed singing it celebrating qualifying for their first tournament in 22 years. So any name I would have heard wouldn't have topped that. We have a tradition of giving our gritters funny names, it is better than giving your child funny names. 

What’s a gritter? 
edit to add will it be pronounced ending lyn or line? Personally I go back and forth because of the spelling. 
Maybe the nick name could be Evie as in eve because Evelyn is evy as in Chevy? 

Edited by AussieKrissy
  • Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

I kind of like Evangeline. It's a little bit of a mouthful saying Felicity and Evangeline, but they kind of go together. 

It's totally them.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

I find it fascinating the second generation seem to be naming their kids a lot more biblical or evangelizing type names than JB & M did. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

Evangeline: A Tale of Acadie

This is the forest primeval. The murmuring pines and the hemlocks,
Bearded with moss, and in garments green, indistinct in the twilight,
Stand like Druids of eld, with voices sad and prophetic,
Stand like harpers hoar, with beards that rest on their bosoms.
Loud from its rocky caverns, the deep-voiced neighboring ocean
Speaks, and in accents disconsolate answers the wail of the forest.

This is the forest primeval; but where are the hearts that beneath it
Leaped like the roe, when he hears in the woodland the voice of the huntsman?
Where is the thatch-roofed village, the home of Acadian farmers,--
Men whose lives glided on like rivers that water the woodlands,
Darkened by shadows of earth, but reflecting an image of heaven?
Waste are those pleasant farms, and the farmers forever departed!
Scattered like dust and leaves, when the mighty blasts of October
Seize them, and whirl them aloft, and sprinkle them far o'er the ocean
Naught but tradition remains of the beautiful village of Grand-Pré.

Ye who believe in affection that hopes, and endures, and is patient,
Ye who believe in the beauty and strength of woman's devotion,
List to the mournful tradition, still sung by the pines of the forest;
List to a Tale of Love in Acadie, home of the happy.

etc. etc. etc.

And now I want beignets.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 5

I always associate the name Evangeline with New Orleans.  

My friend named her daughter Evangeline and they call her Eva like Ee-Va.  Like from the movie Wall-EE.  

• Upvote 6

33 minutes ago, viii said:

As someone who is obsessed with Ru Pauls' Drag Race, I would LOVE the nickname Miss Vangie! LOL

Haha I wanted to say the same.

From now on, this baby goed by Vaaaaaanjiiiee

Spoiler

tenor.gif?itemid=11518728

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 14
  • I Agree 1

I like Evangeline as a sibling name to Felicity but the middle name Jo is way off to me. I don’t like nicknames as names and it seems like an odd choice. I wonder what their reasoning was for picking Jo. 

Edited by coffeebean7
  • Upvote 9

• samurai_sarah locked this topic