IGNORED

Maxwell 41: Taking a Short Vest Rest

Coconut Flan

Maybe being alone at home feels more like a vacation for the sisters than actually going to CO with their parents.

• Upvote 39
  • I Agree 6

2 hours ago, allyisyourpally5 said:

@PennySycamore and @Coconut Flan thank you! I thought the GED was the HS Diploma so thank you for clarifying!

See in England if you homeschool, and you want to take the exams to receive the proper qualifications and grades you have to enter formally and go to a testing center to sit the exams. I’m not sure of the alternative. 

Ha! Do you think “the girls” were home alone?? 
Do you think they do what I do when I was home alone? Walk round in next to nothing? Stay up late? Have some friends round? Watch trashy TV? 
( I live alone - I’m thinking about when I lived with my parents!)

They are sitting around streaming trashy tv and eating pot brownies after cleaning the ceiling fans. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 15
  • Love 2

I kind of imagined Steve & Teri went to CO and to eat edibles and hike while stoned and then never mentioned the latter part of that.   

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 10

5 hours ago, allyisyourpally5 said:

See in England if you homeschool, and you want to take the exams to receive the proper qualifications and grades you have to enter formally and go to a testing center to sit the exams. I’m not sure of the alternative. 

Our college entrance exams are separate from school courses and are at testing centers and private fees are charged.  They are the SAT and ACT you may see mentioned.  A home schooled student who does well on one or both is likely to gain college admission here.  Alternatively quite a few home schoolers go the community college route.  There they take placement tests for the level of entry courses in English and math.  

• Upvote 10

I feel for those poor "girls". They

- do the chores at their parents' house

- probably help with the chores in Gigi's house

- help with the chores in their brothers' homes

- babysit a growing number of nieces and nephews

- help with renovation projects for all those debt-free houses

- help with homeschooling Anna Maria and Christopher's kids lately

- work for their brother's businesses (I don't know if they get paid. They certainly don't get any recognition on the blog.)

- in their spare time they are allowed to go on one mission trip in summer or to proselytize at the country fair.... well so much "fun".

Why can't they go on a vacation? They did more than enough to earn a vacation. But no! Terri and Steve need their "husband/wife vacation". If they are fit enough to hike in high altitude they are fit enough to lighten the girls workload so that they have a chance to enjoy some time "without the normal responsibilities of daily life" too.

They are basically free labor slaves for the whole growing (extended) family. Have they ever had a free minute for themselves? Just doing nothing? Relaxing a moment without praying, scripture study, chores, babysitting whatever? I know, I know - just silly rhetorical questions. Don't give them any time to think...

Also I wonder: are they allowed to stay at home alone without Terri and Steve? Does one of the brothers check on them? What if they do something crazy like drinking a double espresso with full-fat milk, playing an unscheduled board game or eating 10 animal crackers in one sitting? This situation could easily can get out of hand!

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

Well, good for them for getting away for a while! We all know how hard it is to take a vacation away from the kids. You have to find childcare. You have to arrange for transportation.  You have to prepare meals and snacks ahead of time.  It’s HARD, you guys!  

*end sarcasm font now*

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 17

Well, it's good that Steve consults a cardiologist and takes advise seriously.

If they had just acted that cautiously with Terri's depression as well...

• Upvote 32
  • I Agree 8

11 minutes ago, Austrian Atheist said:

If they had just acted that cautiously with Terri's depression as well...

No sh*t.  It's quite infuriating, actually. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 10

I wonder if the girls will stick with bible times & Teri’s schedule? Or if they tattle on each other. O can see Mary saying “Daddy! When you were gone Sarah missed two bible times. We tried to save her but she wouldn’t listen! Is she going to hell now?”

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

I recently thought of something regarding the girls. I wonder if they lie in their beds at night, talking and laughing. I think I remember them saying that they all (the whole household) went to bed and woke up at the same time. 

Do you think the girls get in trouble for whispering in the dark? Do you think Teri yells from her room “You girls go to sleep!! Stop talking!!” 

• Upvote 10
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 6

12 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

I think I remember them saying that they all (the whole household) went to bed and woke up at the same time.

This may be the weirdest thing I've learned about them, if true.  

Why?!

• Upvote 18

14 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

I recently thought of something regarding the girls. I wonder if they lie in their beds at night, talking and laughing. I think I remember them saying that they all (the whole household) went to bed and woke up at the same time. 

Do you think the girls get in trouble for whispering in the dark? Do you think Teri yells from her room “You girls go to sleep!! Stop talking!!” 

Sometimes Sarah reads to Anna & Mary at night. Something about it helping her writing (it ain't working). Can you imagine being 20-somethjng. lyjng in your bunk bed. listening to your oldest sister reading to yo? Something daddy approved, of course. 

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 7
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Austrian Atheist said:

They are basically free labor slaves for the whole growing (extended) family. Have they ever had a free minute for themselves? Just doing nothing? Relaxing a moment without praying, scripture study, chores, babysitting whatever? I know, I know - just silly rhetorical questions. Don't give them any time to think...

I doubt she did it intentionally, but Sarah with the Moody books has the perfect excuse to just sit and think.  She can claim she's thinking about the plots of her books, but we all know writer's block is a thing and a lot of musing goes on before putting words to type so she could be lost in her own thoughts while she can call it working.

Although she'd probably consider that deception and thus a sin, I'd have zero problems with it.

• Upvote 14

7 hours ago, allyisyourpally5 said:

@PennySycamore and @Coconut Flan thank you! I thought the GED was the HS Diploma so thank you for clarifying!

Generally speaking the GED is basically instead of a diploma. Like people who drop out of school can take the GED test instead of getting a diploma. It's used sometimes for homeschoolers but I think it is more often (at least in my area) thought of as a thing for people who didn't finish school as planned, for whatever reason. I know a guy who got his GED while in prison - I think most prisons have a program for inmates who didn't graduate to work toward getting a GED in hopes of helping them be more employable when they are released.

6 hours ago, ophelia said:

Maybe being alone at home feels more like a vacation for the sisters than actually going to CO with their parents.

I would certainly think so! I love my parents and they LOVE big family vacations with everyone involved, to the point that my sisters and I have occasionally gone on vacations together without them by planning in secret and then not telling them until the last minute they were going. My dad is easygoing, but my mom wants to be involved and gets offended easily. We managed to go to Paris without her only by planning it during a big trip she had already planned and paid for. Sometimes it's more fun without mom.

And I would hope the girls let themselves loose, just a little, while the parents are gone. I'm sure their entire time at home has been scheduled to the max, but hopefully they each can find at least a little time to do something they enjoy, or to take a nap, make an unscheduled run out for coffee, or take an extra long walk with the dog, or whatever.

26 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

Sometimes Sarah reads to Anna & Mary at night. Something about it helping her writing (it ain't working). Can you imagine being 20-somethjng. lyjng in your bunk bed. listening to your oldest sister reading to yo? Something daddy approved, of course. 

When I was in college my sisters visited me and stayed the night, and begged me to read to them. They were both high schoolers.

Of course, they wanted me to read the smutty parts of a romance novel, because apparently the way I read those out loud is hilarious. I tend toward the deadpan. I think they woke my neighbors laughing.

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 8

4 minutes ago, freejugar said:

I wonder what happened with Jesse's empty room

Perhaps it is now going to be what some might call a "guest" room?

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 8
  • Love 1

This might be the first time Teri used the word "vacation" instead of some euphemism or "what some might call a vacation". Before we know it, she'll be a total caffeine/Pepsi addict again. Keep your wife in check, Steve!

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 12

41 minutes ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Perhaps it is now going to be what some might call a "guest" room?

I'm guessing it was turned into a small chapel where they pray for lost Jesse and his wild apartment living 40 min away lifestyle.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 26

6 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I'm guessing it was turned into a small chapel where they pray for lost Jesse and his wild apartment living 40 min away lifestyle.

Do the grandchildren ever sleep over? I can't recall. Could be a bunk room for them. Un related, but thinking of the Maxwell Grands: I want to rescue that granddaughter who is school age and had to wear one of those plastic scoop bibs for snack on a hike/walk/bike ride!

• Upvote 9

On 8/17/2020 at 6:23 AM, nelliebelle1197 said:

The bizarre political/ religious/insane rants by the fathers at Chelsy’s sister’s wedding this weekend got me thinking. The Bontrangers are Trumpers, like the insane kind.  But I just cannot see Steve Maxwell voting for Trump. Steve is a damaged man, but he is also an intelligent man who has allowed his damage to over come healthy critical thinking. But Steve is also a very proper, moralistic thinker.  I just cannot see him being okay with a thrice married pussy grabber. I know the Maxwells supported Ted Cruz in 2016, which actually fits them. I just cannot see them transitioning to Trump because he is the R on the ballot. Thoughts?

I am not saying they voted for Hillary or would pick Biden- I am wondering third party or write in.

Darrell Castle ran on the Constitution Party ticket in 2016. I can totally see Steve voting for him. 

I can also see him just writing in Ted Cruz as well. 

However, he may have decided saving "babies" was worth voting for a "flawed King David" as many Christian conservatives justified it. 

My question: While Romney certainly lives in line with Steve's lifestyle beliefs, and the Republican party's stated platform, do you think it really bothered Steve to vote for a Mormon in 2012?

• Upvote 7

1 minute ago, nausicaa said:

My question: While Romney certainly lives in line with Steve's lifestyle beliefs, and the Republican party's stated platform, do you think it really bothered Steve to vote for a Mormon in 2012?

I think voting for anyone bothers Steve as I believe he measures everyone against himself and in his eyes none of them can measure up to him morally.

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 1

I swear Sarah says “we almost weren’t going to go to Colorado this year” every damn year. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 5

8 hours ago, Austrian Atheist said:

Of course they do! They have 15 minutes scheduled for frivolous alone time every third Wednesday at 3.20 pm. 

• Upvote 8

I had to read the post a couple of times before I realized only Teri and Steve were going to Colorado. Maybe my level of reading comprehension is not what it used to be. 

My guess is nothing will change while the parents are away. Everything will be done exactly as it’s always done. Two months from now we will get a post about how Sarah, Anna and Mary cleaned the house from top to bottom as an anniversary surprise for their parents while they were away. Maybe they will prep all of Steve’s salads for the week or make a big batch of bean mush to freeze as well. I think they are so well-trained no one would ever think of even sleeping an extra five minutes while the parents are gone. If anything, I wouldn’t be surprised to find out there were cameras in the house, at least the common rooms, to keep an eye on the “kids” while Mommy and Daddy are away. 

• Upvote 14
  • Sad 2

On 8/17/2020 at 10:10 AM, Giraffe said:

Sarah, for the love of all things Rufus has blessed, PLEASE take some writing classes already!

Sarah and I belong to the same national writers group. It's always a shock on the rare occasion she posts something, with the overlap of my regular life and online snark life. Last week she asked for specific resources on an issue she was having. I thought that was good of her! The issue, though? Describing everyday things in an interesting way.

I feel like I could make a joke, but it pretty much makes itself. And it also makes me sad.

• Upvote 12
  • Sad 10
  • Rufus Bless 3
  • WTF 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic