IGNORED

Maxwell 41: Taking a Short Vest Rest

Coconut Flan

"This summer was different than the last several. Anna and Mary are usually gone for ministry (4-8 weeks). And the County Fair was canceled. Then, basically every day, Mom, Anna, or Mary was over helping at Christopher’s a lot of the time."

Any elementary school teachers on here? I'd give this about a 3rd grade B-

And then there's the "little fellow" comment.  Such a dated expression. I'm snarky today and everything.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 3

during the season of Anna Marie being away.

while Anna Marie was gone, you barely functionally literate fucktard, WHILE ANNA MARIE WAS GONE

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 6
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 2

Fingernail clipping. I don't know if there's any mundane task left to mention in their blog.

I don't understand her comment about the masks

It’s what everyone says, but I guess mask-wearing is the new norm–even at the zoo.

I need a Maxwellese to English translator

Edited by freejugar
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 13

59 minutes ago, freejugar said:

Fingernail clipping. I don't know if there's any mundane task left to mention in their blog.

I don't understand her comment about the masks

I need a Maxwellese to English translator

Something like this?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

while Anna Marie was gone, you barely functionally literate fucktard, WHILE ANNA MARIE WAS GONE

Speaking for myself, I understand the frustration but that expression is offensive.   There are dozens of inoffensive expressions that express the same degree of witlessness, but that don't reference an offensive term for developmental issues.  

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 10
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 2

I can't imagine being a grown, able-bodied adult and having my mom come over to clean my house every week. Once in awhile, I get, but it's just another example of how Christopher refuses (I cannot believe he is incapable, because I think he could be if he tried) to take care of his family himself. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

I work with people with disabilities. Can't you find something a little less close to terms our clients have been fighting against for a generation with which to expel your anger?

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I still think of her every single time I wear cashmere.  

Fifteen was an amazing book and made me feel like I'd been born in the wrong decade

I wanted a boyfriend just like Stan. I wanted to wear a boy's ID bracelet. Alas, they were not the thing in the 70s. Nor was cashmere. I still don't have a  cashmere sweater. :my_rolleyes:

• Upvote 8

41 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Speaking for myself, I understand the frustration but that expression is offensive.   There are dozens of inoffensive expressions that express the same degree of witlessness, but that don't reference an offensive term for developmental issues.  

Thank you, and also to @nelliebelle1197.  

I have a son who had developmental disabilities growing up and it's close enough to the word he was so hurt by as a child anything with "tard" in it is like a dagger through my heart.  

3 minutes ago, Loveday said:

I wanted a boyfriend just like Stan. I wanted to wear a boy's ID bracelet. Alas, they were not the thing in the 70s. Nor was cashmere. I still don't have a  cashmere sweater. :my_rolleyes:

When you get one do not let anyone untrustworthy "help" with laundry.  My first cashmere sweater was like being wrapped in a warm, delicate hug … and after my then husband "helped" by putting it in the washer and dryer...

it fit my build-a-bear.   And ditto on the ID bracelet.

• Upvote 12
  • Love 5

4 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

"This summer was different than the last several. Anna and Mary are usually gone for ministry (4-8 weeks). And the County Fair was canceled. Then, basically every day, Mom, Anna, or Mary was over helping at Christopher’s a lot of the time."

Any elementary school teachers on here? I'd give this about a 3rd grade B-

And then there's the "little fellow" comment.  Such a dated expression. I'm snarky today and everything.

This one gets a C+ (the "+" part is charitable):

These two. They both wanted in Dad’s office, and the reason why. They wanted treats. But Dad needed some peace and quiet.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

I work with people with disabilities. Can't you find something a little less close to terms our clients have been fighting against for a generation with which to expel your anger?

Not being Sarah, I probably could.  Fuckwit?

Edited by LilMissMetaphor
edited because my replies were merged
  • Upvote 12

5 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Something like this?

Can we please play this for Steve?  The WTH look on his face would be beyond rubies!! So I guess can I get 2 people, one to show him the video, one to videotape him watching it?

I had a thought. Can we have a SOTDRT Writing Fair? I'm not going to mention any writers in particular. Modeled loosely after the competition where people try to write like Hemingway, contestants would submit sentences from the classics, rewritten SOTDRT-style. 

I'll start with Dickens: "It was the best of the seasons of life but at the same time it was the not-best of the seasons of life."

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 12
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Something like this?

JA sure, you betcha, doncha know? Don't waste your money, en so?

• Haha 7

Axton looks like he's wondering what Teri's doing with her face. 

Good to see Arnold & Ellie.  Sarah, please stop referring to them as these two, just refer to them as Ellie & Arnold.  The these two reference may be cute as a spoken inside reference, but it comes across as clunky and stiff in its written form.  

Edited by FloraKitty35
added more to post
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

8 minutes ago, FloraKitty35 said:

Axton looks like he's wondering what Teri's doing with her face.  

He looks oddly not comfortable* with her. I don’t know how much of that is me being BEC but that picture stood out to me. 

*eta, not necessarily uncomfortable per se but he doesn’t seem entirely comfortable with her in that one. I need to stop typing. I’m probably reading way too much into that photo!

Edited by Giraffe
  • Upvote 3

Wow. They actually credited NR Anna's parents and sister for helping out while she was staying with them and posted a picture of them! Was the last time they posted a picture of NR Anna's parents the wedding?

• Upvote 8

I know I’m a bit of a broken record about this, but Sarah’s writing just gets worse and worse. Does nobody proofread and edit in Maxhell? I would have thought someone would be scheduled to proof everything before it was published. I really hope Sarah isn’t assigned to teach her nieces and nephews writing. 

• Upvote 12

In the latest post, the photo of Melanie and Teri doing the dishes is really nice. Teri actually looks happy!

• Upvote 7

12 hours ago, llg1234 said:

I can't imagine being a grown, able-bodied adult and having my mom come over to clean my house every week. Once in awhile, I get, but it's just another example of how Christopher refuses (I cannot believe he is incapable, because I think he could be if he tried) to take care of his family himself. 

ESPECIALLY if the mom in question has debilitating back pain. If anything, Chris and his "crew" should be offering to help Teri with her regular chores, not the other way round! I actually think that would be a great way for him to model the "honor thy father and thy mother" commandment for his kids.

In accordance with my previous comment about Teri and her mental health, I wonder if she tries to keep busy so that she never has idle time to ruminate. It's a way some people to cope with depression, though we often hear more about people who just shut down completely.

• Upvote 23

14 hours ago, anniebgood said:

JA sure, you betcha, doncha know? Don't waste your money, en so?

Put 'er down by the davenport. Tell yer folks hey!

14 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Can we please play this for Steve?  The WTH look on his face would be beyond rubies!! So I guess can I get 2 people, one to show him the video, one to videotape him watching it?

I had a thought. Can we have a SOTDRT Writing Fair? I'm not going to mention any writers in particular. Modeled loosely after the competition where people try to write like Hemingway, contestants would submit sentences from the classics, rewritten SOTDRT-style. 

I'll start with Dickens: "It was the best of the seasons of life but at the same time it was the not-best of the seasons of life."

But, as some might say, tomorrow is not only tomorrow but another day

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 1

I think with Sarah she is trying to add flowery language to her writing.  

She does not understand write as you talk then clean it up.

If she had a text used  a voice application and read her stuff back to her Sarah would catch a lot of the peculiarities in her writing. 

Edited by Tatar-tot
  • Upvote 10

As much as their ridiculous scheduling and narrow-minded approach to life and people annoy me, I admit that I am always impressed by the ways they help out family extended family. I don't look at Teri's weekly cleaning at Christopher's as a sign that he wasn't capable or willing to do it himself. It may well be something she wanted to do for him because it's one of the few practical things she CAN do right now to help him during Anna's season of being away this difficult time. So I'm not going to snark on Teri helping out in that way. It's what I would do if I were in her situation (not that anyone would want me to do that, because I'm a horrible housekeeper and have never scheduled dusting the ceiling fans in my life).

• Upvote 14

Fundies always refer to things as a "season"/"season of life". "During the time when Anna Marie was away" sounds much more natural. 

And at least the Maxwells wear masks properly. 

Sarah's writing has always been crap. I agree with @Tatar-tot that she tries to add flowery language to her writing, without really understanding what it means. I think they do send her books to a proofreader, but clearly they're not very good... maybe it's a family member. Her books are essentially self-published... any professional agency/publishing house would probably reject them straight away, for multiple reasons.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4

2 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Sarah's writing has always been crap. I agree with @Tatar-tot that she tries to add flowery language to her writing, without really understanding what it means. I think they do send her books to a proofreader, but clearly they're not very good... maybe it's a family member. Her books are essentially self-published... any professional agency/publishing house would probably reject them straight away, for multiple reasons.

I think that Sarah Maxwell is the epitome of "It was a dark and stormy night" of the fundy world.

• Upvote 20

18 hours ago, lilith said:

I know I’m a bit of a broken record about this, but Sarah’s writing just gets worse and worse. Does nobody proofread and edit in Maxhell? I would have thought someone would be scheduled to proof everything before it was published. I really hope Sarah isn’t assigned to teach her nieces and nephews writing. 

Oh honey - I'm sure this IS proofread and vetted. 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 8

• Coconut Flan locked this topic