IGNORED

Maxwell 41: Taking a Short Vest Rest

Coconut Flan

On 8/12/2020 at 5:50 PM, MamaJunebug said:

Can we please play this for Steve?  The WTH look on his face would be beyond rubies!! So I guess can I get 2 people, one to show him the video, one to videotape him watching it?

I had a thought. Can we have a SOTDRT Writing Fair? I'm not going to mention any writers in particular. Modeled loosely after the competition where people try to write like Hemingway, contestants would submit sentences from the classics, rewritten SOTDRT-style. 

I'll start with Dickens: "It was the best of the seasons of life but at the same time it was the not-best of the seasons of life."

It was the best of what some would call the seasons of life. . .

FTFY

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 7
  • Love 1

A few pages back, we talked about soaps and this morning I saw Bill Hayes on an episode of Matlock.  Bill is still playing Doug Williams in Days of Our Lives at the age of 95!   I hope I'm that lively at 95!

• Upvote 3
  • Love 5

2 hours ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

I didn’t know it was considered weird to sit beside your SO at a dinner table. I’ve been doing it for years and most everyone else I know does too as long as there’s enough space for everyone to do so. Usually if my fiancé and I aren’t sitting next to each other then we’re across from each other. I think it’s just a familiarity thing, not that I’m going to forget that I’ve been with the same person for ten years. I like sitting by my fiancé because I’m an introvert and he is good at quickly recognizing when I’m getting tired by monotonous dinner small talk and will steer the conversation to more interesting topics. The only thing I find awkward is when two people are having dinner together and sit on the same side of a table or booth with no one in the other side. I just find it hard to have a conversation that way. 

I didn't either. Our family no longer has sit down dinners at one table because we are too big. But, when we do all get together we typically sit in "family" groups. Spouses together. Those of us without spouses (me) with the parentals or grabbing a seat with a niece & her spouse. Little kids scattered wherever they want to be. Last Thanksgiving I sat with my 18 month old great niece on my lap through dinner because for whatever reason, that's where she wanted to be. Her 4 year old brother sat with my sister - his grandmother. Thier older brother sat next to their mom. But, all married couples were next to each other. It's not a rule or a designation - it's just how everyone gravitates. 

• Upvote 9

13 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

My house is decorated in Early Goodwill because I don’t care a bit about coordinating fabrics etc - but that bedroom just makes me extra sad. Dunno why. 

To be fair I don't think that that is a bedroom. Don't the Maxwell's have a large attic space they use for sewing, a few desks, and a few extra beds for visitors/napping grandkids? I think this might be this space but I could be wrong. 

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, ElizaB said:

To be fair I don't think that that is a bedroom. Don't the Maxwell's have a large attic space they use for sewing, a few desks, and a few extra beds for visitors/napping grandkids? I think this might be this space but I could be wrong. 

I love the quilt.  And should I be worried that I think I have the same dust ruffle?

• Upvote 5

Yeah, I get spouses and families sitting together but I've said it before, the Maxes grapple-grab their respective spouses as if to say "Mine" in case we've forgotten. Husbands and wives do it. Blech.

Poor Abby. Going the way of the Steve Maxell daughters. Those ladies will never marry. Never. They appear so childlike, couldn't leave home now. Hope I'm wrong but doubt it.

And dont Anna and Mary get tired of grinning for the camera on cue? So weirdly fascinating.... (Wow, I'm sounding curmudgeonly today as befits my years).

Now off the the Bontrager wedding in a bit.

• Upvote 11

1 minute ago, grammyj said:

Yeah, I get spouses and families sitting together but I've said it before, the Maxes grapple-grab their respective spouses as if to say "Mine" in case we've forgotten. Husbands and wives do it. Blech.

Poor Abby. Going the way of the Steve Maxell daughters. Those ladies will never marry. Never. They appear so childlike, couldn't leave home now. Hope I'm wrong but doubt it.

And dont Anna and Mary get tired of grinning for the camera on cue? So weirdly fascinating.... (Wow, I'm sounding curmudgeonly today as befits my years).

Now off the the Bontrager wedding in a bit.

I think if Sarah, Anna, or Mary ever do marry it will likely be similar to nuns who leave the order after being cloistered,  It will be quite a culture shock even if just going from one sheltered environment to another.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

I wonder if any of the younger Maxwells plan to attend the Bontrager wedding?  I bet at least the newlywed Maxwells are there.

• Upvote 5

51 minutes ago, ElizaB said:

Yes, I think that's the attic/bonus room space where they used to practice music. It was pretty bare back when they were touring but I guess since they've been home and don't need space for eight people to practice music all together they've fixed it up as guest room space. It makes sense to have a double/queen bed and a kid-sized bed in case a family visits.

• Upvote 5

Abby is the same age as my oldest child. They're also both very tall for their age. (My oldest is taller than me now.) When I see Abby in photos I get the same feeling as with my daughter- they're caught in that stage between wanting to play with toys and wanting to act more grown. Allison Child 1 would do as Abby did and play nicely with the younger children. She would likely enjoy feeling like it was "ok" to play with toys meant for younger kids. The difference, though, is Allison 1 would then have time to pursue her interests. At this point those include Minecraft, Roblox, anime, and art. Doubtless Abby would enjoy the art but have no idea about the rest, which makes me profoundly sad for how small their worlds truly are, regardless of vacations, weddings out of state, etc. 

The Maxwell sons wearing shorts and the wives wearing shorter skirts (not Anna Marie, of course, but the rest) is a small step toward something less legalistic. I wasn't surprised to see John wear shorts on Chelsy's blog, but was surprised to see Nathan in shorts in recent photos. Throw Jesse and Joseph in shorts, plus Chelsy in pants and Elissa and Anna in knee length skirts, and you have the recipe for Steve to lose his mind in his weekly emails. Not gonna lie, I would cackle for days if Christopher showed up on the blog in khaki shorts or if Sarah/Anna/Mary wore something knee-length instead of mid-calf or ankle. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 2

23 minutes ago, Bethy said:

Yes, I think that's the attic/bonus room space where they used to practice music. It was pretty bare back when they were touring but I guess since they've been home and don't need space for eight people to practice music all together they've fixed it up as guest room space. It makes sense to have a double/queen bed and a kid-sized bed in case a family visits.

I wasn't following the Maxwell's back in their touring days and can't imagine them singing.  Were they any good or were they Rod like?

7 minutes ago, AllisonWndrland said:

Abby is the same age as my oldest child. They're also both very tall for their age. (My oldest is taller than me now.) When I see Abby in photos I get the same feeling as with my daughter- they're caught in that stage between wanting to play with toys and wanting to act more grown. Allison Child 1 would do as Abby did and play nicely with the younger children. She would likely enjoy feeling like it was "ok" to play with toys meant for younger kids. The difference, though, is Allison 1 would then have time to pursue her interests. At this point those include Minecraft, Roblox, anime, and art. Doubtless Abby would enjoy the art but have no idea about the rest, which makes me profoundly sad for how small their worlds truly are, regardless of vacations, weddings out of state, etc. 

The Maxwell sons wearing shorts and the wives wearing shorter skirts (not Anna Marie, of course, but the rest) is a small step toward something less legalistic. I wasn't surprised to see John wear shorts on Chelsy's blog, but was surprised to see Nathan in shorts in recent photos. Throw Jesse and Joseph in shorts, plus Chelsy in pants and Elissa and Anna in knee length skirts, and you have the recipe for Steve to lose his mind in his weekly emails. Not gonna lie, I would cackle for days if Christopher showed up on the blog in khaki shorts or if Sarah/Anna/Mary wore something knee-length instead of mid-calf or ankle. 

I still can't believe the Maxwell daughters jog in long skirts.  I'd have broken as a kid in this family long before that.

• Upvote 7

1 minute ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I wasn't following the Maxwell's back in their touring days and can't imagine them singing.  Were they any good or were they Rod like?

Instrumentally decent, singing very Rod like. Might have been better if they took actual lessons instead of teaching themselves, or let those that enjoyed a specific instrument to continue playing it. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

2 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

If you look at the products on their website you can see their CD and listen to a sample. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

2 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I heard them once in person and it was much less horrifying than expected.  Compared to the Rods, the Maxwells sound like professionals. But then, my dog's Wookie warblings are better than Jill singing, so....

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3
  • Thank You 1

41 minutes ago, lilith said:

There’s a single clip of the Maxwells performing on YouTube 

Those frumpers!!!!!

I've never seen 'musicians' with so little rhythmic expression in their bodies. Is that too much like dancing for the Maxwells?

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

We'd have a big table in the family room for the adults and the kids got the kitchen table until they were older (10). But when the fundie BIL/SIL came he'd be running back and forth to make sure his son was behaving perfectly and sort of paying attention to the daughter. He even cut the kids food when he was able to do it himself. He and wife broke up and she left him for a politician. Eventually he married another fundie but she was older and wiser and I think she keeps him in line. I catch her on FB but he hasn't spoken to me since escrow closed on mom's house. (Not to mention my younger brother called him and ripped him a new one for being such a hypocritical asshat).

• Upvote 5

I wonder if any Maxwells went to Allison Bontrager & Jeremiah Helferich's wedding? (For those of you who didn't watch, Marlin's speech at this wedding, along with the other preachers, made the sermons at Chelsy and John's wedding look positively enjoyable and even tasteful.)

Chelsy and John were obviously there since Chelsy was matron of honour, but I couldn't figure out if Axton was one of the small children in the wedding party. I hope that John would be enough to wrangle Axton and Elliot while Chelsy was supporting her sister, but it's possible one or more of the unmarried sisters (Anna or Mary especially) would have gone along as well.

I thought I spotted Anna and Jesse in the pews (nearish the front on the right side, when viewed from the back during the bridesmaids' processional). That would make sense since the Bontragers helped matchmake that couple.

I devoutly hope they don't bring COVID-19 back to Gigi, Anna Marie, and the other high-risk people in the Maxwell circle from that plague pit of a non-social-distancing wedding.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 5

I'm left handed, so I always seek out the seat at the end of the left side of the table so I don't bump elbows with anyone on my left.   On of my boys is also left handed so I usually end up with him as well, especially when the 4 of us go to a restaurant, we lefties sit on one side of the table, and the righties the other.

We always referred to our early home decor as "Early American Relative."  

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 2

9 hours ago, AllisonWndrland said:

Wookie warblings

I am so stealing that!

Watching the attendees raptly watching the singing Maxwells and hearing their enthusiastic applause, I realized that singers don’t have to perform perfectly - at least not for certain audiences.

It only just occurred to me (9 years later) that witnessing this helped me overcome my perfectionism enough that I  joined a volunteer choir!

Thanks, Maxwells? Seems so odd to write that!  :D

1 hour ago, Lady Grass Lake said:

We always referred to our early home decor as "Early American Relative."  

Stealing that, too! Wow, pickings are good tonight!! ❤️

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 2

21 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I still can't believe the Maxwell daughters jog in long skirts.  I'd have broken as a kid in this family long before that.

They were...an acquired taste. I personally think the women have more talent than the men, but Steve would be horrified that such a thing were even possible.

There are samples of some of their music on the Titus2 site. Here's a link to their album Trust and Obey.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

We are never going to get the full set of pictures from Jesse and Anna's wedding, are we? I am annoyed with myself for being put out about this. 

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 6

You know what annoys me?  They got Jesse an ice cream maker because "he's not eating refined sugar and loves homemade ice cream."

As I'm also off refined sugar and love ice cream I'd love to know how they make it.  That could be actual, useful, blog fodder.

• Upvote 14
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 4

37 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

You know what annoys me?  They got Jesse an ice cream maker because "he's not eating refined sugar and loves homemade ice cream."

As I'm also off refined sugar and love ice cream I'd love to know how they make it.  That could be actual, useful, blog fodder.

Don't hold your breath. There was a birthday blog post years ago (probably at least eight - it inspired me to buy an ice cream maker, and I'm pretty sure I had it in 2012) in which chocolate custard was mentioned. Someone commented and asked for the recipe and Steve (who was doing most of the comment responses at that point) fired back with a fairly snippy "You wouldn't like it, it doesn't contain sugar" response - and no recipe. 

ETA: Found it on Wayback - https://web.archive.org/web/20120506065133/http://www.titus2.com/blog/index.php/2012/04/27/josephs-birthday-in-pictures/#comments 

Edited by Bethy
  • Upvote 6
  • WTF 6
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Bethy said:

Don't hold your breath. There was a birthday blog post years ago (probably at least eight - it inspired me to buy an ice cream maker, and I'm pretty sure I had it in 2012) in which chocolate custard was mentioned. Someone commented and asked for the recipe and Steve (who was doing most of the comment responses at that point) fired back with a fairly snippy "You wouldn't like it, it doesn't contain sugar" response - and no recipe. 

What the hell is wrong with these people?

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic