IGNORED

Not Enough Nelsons: When Mormon Naming Goes Too Far

TuringMachine

Am I the only whose weirded out by people who already who large biological families being allowed to adopt large groups of children? I could understand adopting one or two. I could understand someone with two grown children adopting a sibling group of six. However, if you already have 8 biological children, then I would have to limit your adoptions to two children. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

In one of their videos - the parents indicated that they 'planned' to have five bio kids and and adopt 2.  (five bio would be Kennadee, Kass, Trey, Janie, Paisley; 2 adopted would be Journee, Bridger) - clearing something went bananas in there.  

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, TuringMachine said:

The Nelsons have 16 kids, all with terrible mormon names. The girls all have random capitalizations and end in EE. 

KennaDee 23, KassaDee 21, Bridger 21, JourNee 21, Trey 19, JaineLee 17, LiLee 14, SaiDee 12, NayVee 12, Luke 11, PaisLee 8, DeLayNee 8, PresLee 7, ElleCee 6, Beckham 5, and Ledger 9 months.

I can't even read those without my brain pronouncing the girl's names like KennaDEEEEEE  KassaDEEEEE  JourNEEEEE  etc. I'm not even hearing them out loud and it's making me cringe. 

I actually like the boys' names fine. The girls really got the short end of the stick namewise. I think NayVEEEEE might be the worst - most of the others could shorten, correct the spelling, or otherwise have names like Kennedy, Cassidy, Journey, Sadie, Paisley, Delaney, Presley, etc.

Whatever the heck JaineLEEEE, LiLEEEEE and ElleCEEEE are trying to be I don't know, but they could become Jane, Elle, and Lila if they wanted. But NayVEEEEE's name is Navy. Which sounds strange to me. I don't know why, I like words-as-names sometimes, and even color names. But I think the spelling with the "y" in the wrong place is throwing me way off on that one. Journey is at least a pinterestey sort of name someone might choose for themselves, and the others aren't uncommon names.

But NayVEEEEEEEEE?

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

ElleCee sounds more like Elsie.  And JaineLEE goes by Janie (so she's rebelled from the parental spelling)

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

Maybe girls in Utah will be named Korona in another 7-9 months.

Edited by ADoyle90815
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Hane said:

I’m willing to bet you that was from a day that they all went to the LDS temple to be “sealed” as a family. People who go to temple ceremonies wear all-white clothing.

One of the little girls mentioned something about sealing - I didn't know. I thought it was the super secret marriage ceremony, which I learned from Sister Wives. Didn't know it was a non-fundamentalist LDS thing. 

• Upvote 5

I’m more annoyed by them changing their adopted children’s names than by the heinous spellings. People need to stop doing this. 

• Upvote 14
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 18
  • Thank You 1

@Maggie Mae, yes—there are different forms of “sealing” ceremonies in the Mormon temple: marriages (which non-Mormons can’t attend) and family sealings, which happen in cases of adoptions. Other ceremonies take place in their church buildings, which are open to the public—things like “the sacrament” (~communion), baptisms (of live people—proxy baptisms of the dead are done in the temple), and weddings of people ineligible to be married in the temple. (If you’re a Mormon marrying a non-member, and/or if you don’t have a “temple recommend” because you’re not considered a member in good standing, you can get married in the church building.)

I know wayyyyyyy too much about the LDS Church.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 15

Those names make my head hurt especially the random uppercase letter's and the double e ending at least Noel and Sue Radford whose daughter's names also end in e or ie all have normal names and nothing too crazy, Heidie with an e is the most outhere but still not that bad. 

I wonder if they named Beckham after David Beckham. If so there are a lot worse sports stars names they could have used. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m more annoyed by them changing their adopted children’s names than by the heinous spellings. People need to stop doing this. 

Wait-- how old were the children when they were adopted? I was idly assuming they were infants on account of the names. I can't imagine being old enough to have my own identity and all of a sudden some Mormons are like "no, you're JourNee now!!!"

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 7

5 minutes ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Wait-- how old were the children when they were adopted? I was idly assuming they were infants on account of the names. I can't imagine being old enough to have my own identity and all of a sudden some Mormons are like "no, you're JourNee now!!!"

Journey is called journee because her parents went on a Journey to Russia to adopt her. She was old enough that she still has a russian accent. The video I linked up thread has her adoption story. It's pretty close to the beginning.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

I’m almost positive all of them were old enough to know their own name. I’m a big advocate of keeping names whenever possible. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

27 minutes ago, Hane said:

I know wayyyyyyy too much about the LDS Church.

I really don't know much about it at all, as the mormons I know never really talk about religion or politics, but they all have a similar friendly vibe and aesthetic. I know it's a weird cult, but I've never really heard anyone say anything outwardly mean, like I have with baptists and evangelicals. 

NayVee for sure knew her name. She was fostered with them until she was 1, returned to her birth mom, then dropped off on their porch and adopted after Beckham, who is 4. NayVee is 12. Her name really doesn't seem right to me. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

They have a house tour (which made me look up Benji to see what on earth he does for a living*) where Benji shows off a bunch of sport memorabilia in his office, along with a framed picture of a "prophet", and then back to sports. These are the most stereotypical mormons ever. I know a fair amount IRL and it's just so weird to watch all the stereotypes in one family - from the names, to the one adopted child of color, to the perkiness, the giant super organized house, the boys weight room, the girls vanities, the framed pictures and the live, laugh, love on the wall.. 

*https://www.thespectrum.com/story/sports/2015/08/10/benji-nelson-begins-first-year-desert-hills-soccer-after-years-hurricane/31431531/

So dad's in real estate development, like Rachel Parcell's (Pink Peonies) dad.

5 hours ago, ADoyle90815 said:

Maybe girls in Utah will be named Korona in another 7-9 months.

Already done in India: https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-coronavirus-corona-covid-twins-name-coronavirus-india-20200403-g4j2rkj52rds5n74zgmvoyemmi-story.html

Edited by JMarie
spelling
  • Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

Beckham I think was an infant at the time of adoption.  Not sure how old Luke was, but I think he was fairly young.  

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, TuringMachine said:

I think they have yet to post the 3rd floor tour. 

I think this is because they are - for some unknown reason - trying to keep it on the down low that Kass and Josh actually live up there. They did some renovation to create a kitchen area in Kass' existing suite, but it's still the same space. 

These people are very obnoxious and loud. So loud. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks Josh and Kass’s apartment is in the house/on the property.  In one of The Just Kass vlogs the blinds were open and you could see the roof of the rest of the house.  Clearly a slip since most of the time they have blinds/curtains closed.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

I can't seem to find anything to dislike too much about these people. The names are weird, but for the most part they seem like decent humans who are happy and love each other, and might even care about people not in their cult. Feel free to prove me wrong. The clickbaity videos are cringy, and the theme song is obnoxious, but they even put together an LLC and are treating the youtube like an actual business. 

They feed high quality foods to their kids, they aren't living in filth, no one is going hungry or living in dorm rooms. They are going to school, doing homework, chores seem age appropriate. Or maybe I just have a thing for cute red headed kids and smiley babies. I don't know. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 2

On 5/20/2020 at 11:40 PM, Maggie Mae said:

These are the most stereotypical mormons ever. I know a fair amount IRL and it's just so weird to watch all the stereotypes in one family - from the names, to the one adopted child of color, to the perkiness, the giant super organized house, the boys weight room, the girls vanities, the framed pictures and the live, laugh, love on the wall.. 

These giant Mormon families baffle me with their boundless energy. And they're not even allowed to drink coffee!!! 

I recently watched a day in the life of Jordan Page (Fun Cheap or Free) who has a bunch of kids including newborn twins. I nearly had a nervous breakdown just watching the video but she takes it all in stride. While the Duggar kids were surviving on canned food and lacking even basic social skills, these kids are eating balanced meals, going to school and dancing their pants off. Where's the catch? Where's the gimmick? 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

Eh - they're allowed to drink soft drinks though.  

Hmmm - Jordan Page - I know that name - oh wait, yes.  Because she's friends with April Orgill (among others in the Northern Utah vlog community)

23 hours ago, JMarie said:

So dad's in real estate development, like Rachel Parcell's (Pink Peonies) dad.

Already done in India: https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-coronavirus-corona-covid-twins-name-coronavirus-india-20200403-g4j2rkj52rds5n74zgmvoyemmi-story.html

Kovid had also already been done in India .  https://www.thenamemeaning.com/kovid/  ,  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kovid_Gupta  Personally , I feel that if Mormons were to give a son a cringy name , it would be " Moron " https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moron_(Book_of_Mormon) . 

On 5/21/2020 at 5:24 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m almost positive all of them were old enough to know their own name. I’m a big advocate of keeping names whenever possible. 

Even if it wasn't the intent , changing names can be part of changing their sense of identity . It's even mentioned in the BITE model , under the  category of thought control .  https://www.openmindsfoundation.org/the-bite-model-of-influence/  Also , from what I have heard though , in such videos as this  

Spoiler

@10:31 , that in the patriarchal blessing , and later the temple endowments ceremony , each person is issued special additional names .  https://fullerconsideration.com/TempleNameOracle/   P.S.  There is this one LDS family that has a YouTube channel , https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_with_Lemons  , where they post such things as covers of songs from musicals , like from " Hamilton " , for example .   

Spoiler

I found it to be interesting , and impressive anyway , even if the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is able to be considered a cult of sorts .  

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

On 5/20/2020 at 5:35 PM, Maggie Mae said:

At first I was like "that's cool, they don't distinguish between who is adopted and who isn't." 

But then I found this video with everyone's birth/adoption story. 

Some Mormons still might not know whether or not they were adopted .  

Spoiler

If you don't get the joke .   https://beliefmap.org/mormonism/mormonism-teaches-spirit-children

4 hours ago, Marmion said:

Personally , I feel that if Mormons were to give a son a cringy name , it would be " Moron " https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moron_(Book_of_Mormon) . 

I went to high school with a Moroni. He was Mormon, obviously, but to be fair to his parents, they were immigrants (from the Philippines iirc?) so they may not have foreseen the English-language implications.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

This family is freaking me out.

I have no idea why; I've been a long-term follower of far "worse" on here, managed to get through some epic awfulness time and time again and still tune back in the next day.

But I think for the first time ever I'm saying I'm out. The Nelsons are a step too far. I was a little freaked out by the introductory dancing video (mainly because I can't stand seeing small kids doing sexualised pouts and booty pops) but the name-changing of the adopted kids has broken me. Maybe I'm over-sensitive at the moment (having a bad lockdown day...) but it really upset me.

See you on the other threads, friends ?

• Upvote 6
  • Love 8

15 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

I went to high school with a Moroni.

The angel Moroni is a huge deal in Mormonism. 

Angel Moroni

In 1823 an angel named Moroni appeared to Joseph Smith and told him of the existence of an ancient record engraved on plates, buried in a hill near his home. Moroni, the last ancient record keeper to inscribe his teachings on the plates, appeared to Joseph on a number of occasions between 1823 and 1829, guiding and mentoring Joseph as he obtained the plates and translated them.

Pretty sure I've been baptised in absentia.  My great grandmother converted to the LDS faith in Ireland when she had one son (my grandfather) and five daughters. My grandfather never converted, but all five sisters did.  Apparently the five daughters ranged in dedication from a super Mormon to a very casual Mormon. 

• Thank You 1