IGNORED

Not Enough Nelsons: When Mormon Naming Goes Too Far

TuringMachine

The Nelsons have come up in a couple threads so it's time for their own.  Here's the best intro I can do for them since I've only recently discovered them and their videos are really hard to watch.

The Nelsons have 16 kids, all with terrible mormon names. The girls all have random capitalizations and end in EE. 

KennaDee 23, KassaDee 21, Bridger 21, JourNee 21, Trey 19, JaineLee 17, LiLee 14, SaiDee 12, NayVee 12, Luke 11, PaisLee 8, DeLayNee 8, PresLee 7, ElleCee 6, Beckham 5, and Ledger 9 months.

Bridger, JourNee, LiLee, SaiDee, NayVee, Luke, DeLayNee, ElleCee, and Backham are adopted. KassaDee is married and for some reason a bunch of the kids followed her on her honeymoon?

Also the live in a giant mansion in Utah but for some reason they need Youtube money / fame.

I posted this in another thread but here it is again: their very cringey intro video for their channel

Spoiler

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 2
  • Rufus Bless 5
  • WTF 8
  • Haha 7
  • Thank You 7

At first I was like "that's cool, they don't distinguish between who is adopted and who isn't." 

But then I found this video with everyone's birth/adoption story. 

• WTF 6

Those names are just... reading through the list made me feel like Kirk from Gilmore Girls trying to figure out a dog's name by making random sounds. 

Spoiler

Edited by forgetmenow
  • Upvote 6
  • Haha 23
  • Love 1

The birth story/adoption story was so scripted and yet hard to follow. Plus there was a really weird photo at the end of everyone wear white with their backs to the camera. 

It sounds like they adopted two from Russia (before Russia closed their doors to US adoptions) and a couple of sibling groups. 

Middle age dad dancing like that was total cringe, but at least they seem happy? They obviously have a ton of money and time to put together these videos and feed, clothe, and shelter this many teenagers. Not to mention indulging journeys horse love. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

The birth story/adoption story was so scripted and yet hard to follow. Plus there was a really weird photo at the end of everyone wear white with their backs to the camera. 

It sounds like they adopted two from Russia (before Russia closed their doors to US adoptions) and a couple of sibling groups. 

Middle age dad dancing like that was total cringe, but at least they seem happy? They obviously have a ton of money and time to put together these videos and feed, clothe, and shelter this many teenagers. Not to mention indulging journeys horse love. 

It's hard to follow because they originally released them as separate videos in a different order. LiLee, SaiDee, Luke, DeLayNee, ElleCee, and Backham are biological siblings, though it sounds like they were adopted in two groups. The other three I don't think are biologically related.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

At least some of the girls can just choose to stop capitalizing a couple of letters and have pretty normal names. I don't think the capitalization of your name is legally set in stone the way spelling is? Nayvee, Ellecee and Jainelee would still probably raise a few eyebrows.

• Upvote 4

They are done having and adopting children, but are ready for grandkids. Other fun facts: They are given money for a car, and if they don't kiss a boy before 16, they get extra money. They have 11 bathrooms, and three of them no longer live in the mansion. Everything is AWESOME and SUPER FUN and SUPER GREAT! 

Spoiler

• Upvote 5

Spoiler

Spoiler

P.S.  At least they aren't quite as strange as some Victorian era names , fwiw .  

Spoiler

• Haha 16
  • Love 2

My sister and I think a few boys in Utah will be given the name Kovid before too long. 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 15
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

I sort of follow these people.  

JourNee is a Russian adoption, Bridger is also Russian but I believe is rehired (adopted by someone else, didn’t work out, they adopted him).  NayVee was fostered, returned and came back.  It sounded like there may have been substance abuse issues.  

LilLee (the only of the adopted kids who kept the bio name which had something todo with a dream the mom had), SaiDee and Luke were adopted together.  Later DelayNee, EllCee and Beckham we’re adopted together and all 6 are a sibling group. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 8
  • Love 1

They have a house tour (which made me look up Benji to see what on earth he does for a living*) where Benji shows off a bunch of sport memorabilia in his office, along with a framed picture of a "prophet", and then back to sports. These are the most stereotypical mormons ever. I know a fair amount IRL and it's just so weird to watch all the stereotypes in one family - from the names, to the one adopted child of color, to the perkiness, the giant super organized house, the boys weight room, the girls vanities, the framed pictures and the live, laugh, love on the wall.. 

*https://www.thespectrum.com/story/sports/2015/08/10/benji-nelson-begins-first-year-desert-hills-soccer-after-years-hurricane/31431531/

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

And here I thought naming all your kids with names that start with "Ch", including twins named Chyler and Chyley, as well as both a Charity and a Chastity, was silly enough to remain in the realm of fiction, but no.

Truth is stranger than fiction because fiction has to make sense.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, CyborgKin said:

And here I thought naming all your kids with names that start with "Ch", including twins named Chyler and Chyley, as well as both a Charity and a Chastity, was silly enough to remain in the realm of fiction, but no.

Truth is stranger than fiction because fiction has to make sense.

What story is that? ?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, medimus said:

What story is that? ?

It's a serial web-novel called Sisters of Rail.  Charity Wilison is the main character.  She's seventeen, engaged, and has a looooot of Ch-siblings.

• Upvote 3

There should be at least 3 house tour videos (one for each floor of the house I believe). And there is a whole series of room makeovers.

Also of over the top associated interest might be Just Kass - which is the YouTube Channel for Kass (who goes by Kass and not the full on EE ending name).  Kass got married last fall.  And I thought it looked like perhaps when she and Josh (husband honeymooned in Paris that the family also went to Paris (and we thought mainstream fundies were weird).  

I stumbled into this family due to a crossover video posted on/with the Scott family (Five-two-love) (they have quints and two older sons) - based on knowing that the Scotts live in St. George, Utah and that the men in both families know each other from starting some soccer group/association my guess is that the Nelsons live in the St. George area.  There is a video on the NEN channel with the Scott quints being babysat by the NEN kids as something of a prank (they leave individual babies with various kids to freak them out) (and since the Scotts at that time just didn't randomly travel with the quints I suspect they're in he same general area).  

• Upvote 1

I bet everyone is envious of Luke having the only normal name. I know I would be even being the opposite sex !!

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, clueliss said:

my guess is that the Nelsons live in the St. George area. 

Yes, that is clarified in the link that @Maggie Mae posted.  I

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, BritishBabycatcher said:

I bet everyone is envious of Luke having the only normal name. I know I would be even being the opposite sex !!

Trey is 'almost' normal (but the Trey is because he is named after the dad and a III)

• Upvote 6

15 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

There was a really weird photo at the end of everyone wear white with their backs to the camera. 

I’m willing to bet you that was from a day that they all went to the LDS temple to be “sealed” as a family. People who go to temple ceremonies wear all-white clothing.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, clueliss said:

There should be at least 3 house tour videos (one for each floor of the house I believe). And there is a whole series of room makeovers.

I think they have yet to post the 3rd floor tour. 

• Upvote 1

There are 5 children of college age (KennaDee 23, KassaDee 21, Bridger 21, JourNee 21, Trey 19) 4 if you don't count married Kass,. Do they attend college -- any college?  Does Mom Nelson home school the rest?

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

There are 5 children of college age (KennaDee 23, KassaDee 21, Bridger 21, JourNee 21, Trey 19) 4 if you don't count married Kass,. Do they attend college -- any college?  Does Mom Nelson home school the rest?

Trey works and lives at home.

Kennadee & Journee have recently been back home due to covid.  Bridger remained wherever he was because of a job.  Real colleges I believe.

Mom doesn't homeschool (pre covid - she had a vlog showing her efforts at helping the younger school age kids connect via devices for schooling due to virus) Beckham isn't school age yet (Unless he's going to preschool) and Ledger is an infant.  

• Thank You 4

2 hours ago, clueliss said:

Trey is 'almost' normal (but the Trey is because he is named after the dad and a III)

I’ve yet to see a Trey who isn’t a III.

• Upvote 6