IGNORED

Not Enough Nelsons: When Mormon Naming Goes Too Far

TuringMachine

My guess is substance abuse.  They mentioned in the NaVee video that she went back and forth for visits to her mother for a while.  Then in the LiLee video it is said that in one of the trips to pick NaVee up, the door of the house (for people with substance issues getting help) was answered by a little blond girl that they later learned was LiLee.

• Upvote 5

In the UK and Australia in my experience I’ve seen women have 5-10 children and lost custody of them all. The families who have their other bio children get offered the sibling for placement/adoption. Otherwise the children grow up without their bio siblings in other homes. 
The reason the Mum’s keep having pregnancies & children who are taken off them is complex but can include mental health issues, substance abuse, chaotic lives & childhood abuse & poverty.  
there is a mother I follow on insta who has adopted 4 children from the same bio mother and now has the 5th (newborn) with her. The children have 12 older half siblings. 
https://instagram.com/thebrennerbunch?igshid=t8ujetf6iw9r

i don’t think this Mormon mother would have adopted so many children if she wasn’t trying to keep siblings together. I like this family but yeah videos are cringe. Could be my age, mid 30’s (how have I been on FJ for 12 years?!!) & I’m not young and hip anymore ;) 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

11 hours ago, Milly-Molly-Mandy said:

In the UK and Australia in my experience I’ve seen women have 5-10 children and lost custody of them all. The families who have their other bio children get offered the sibling for placement/adoption. Otherwise the children grow up without their bio siblings in other homes. 
The reason the Mum’s keep having pregnancies & children who are taken off them is complex but can include mental health issues, substance abuse, chaotic lives & childhood abuse & poverty.  
there is a mother I follow on insta who has adopted 4 children from the same bio mother and now has the 5th (newborn) with her. The children have 12 older half siblings. 
https://instagram.com/thebrennerbunch?igshid=t8ujetf6iw9r

i don’t think this Mormon mother would have adopted so many children if she wasn’t trying to keep siblings together. I like this family but yeah videos are cringe. Could be my age, mid 30’s (how have I been on FJ for 12 years?!!) & I’m not young and hip anymore ;) 

Let me get this straight without trying to sound extremely judgmental: this family adopted 5 kids from the same bio mother and there's 12 others? Bio woman needs to stop having children. I'm cringing so hard tbh.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

Let me get this straight without trying to sound extremely judgmental: this family adopted 5 kids from the same bio mother and there's 12 others? Bio woman needs to stop having children. I'm cringing so hard tbh.

No; they have 9 adopted children in total.  2 of those kids were adopted from Russia (not siblings).  Another daughter was adopted locally, but it seems that there were several attempts for reunification with her birth mother so they weren't able to adopt her until a couple years ago even though she had been living with them on and off for most of her life.  The 6 bio kids weren't adopted at once.  They adopted 3 of them at once and the other 3 weren't yet born.  I think probably 3-4 years later they were told that the mom had lost custody of the other 3 and were asked if they wanted to to adopt them to keep the siblings together.  They also had their last bio kid in September who seems to have been a bit of surprise.  I think they've said a few times they weren't planning on having a family quite this large, but had planned to have both bio and adopted children but about half the number of kids they ended up having.

The other thing is I believe that Mormons have a belief that everyone's family existed before they were born.  That means that you know your partner from before you were born as well as your parents and siblings and God allows for your family to find each other on Earth.  I imagine that that might have also led to what happened.  I know the Mom has mentioned for a few kids that she felt God was telling her about her adopted kids before she had them as well as some prophecy.  For instance their oldest daughter came to her parents and said she had a dream where she had a sister named Jaine.  A few years later they had a baby girl and named her that.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

6 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

I think a combination of the bio dad’s and the bio mum’s children. Half siblings etc. she explains it more in her insta stories...also very complex reasons they keep having kids. Hope they’ll be able to keep the next one. Chaotic lives without access to birth control. Clearly drug issues in this case. It’s not like you or me looking at it, these people have been through so much trauma and loss, their brains are now wired differently. It’s tragic. I think this article helps explain a little more in a respectful way?
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/thousands-mothers-having-multiple-children-removed-care-can/

In case you can’t open the other one due to paywall

Edited by Milly-Molly-Mandy
Link
  • Thank You 1

Ahh sorry I don’t ‘hope they will be able

to keep the next one’ very poorly put. The mother often hopes she can keep the next baby even if all the others are in care. 

• Upvote 1

Beckham video is up.  Trey does the interview for this one.  And the original birth name was Tuff Knight.  I may have sat with my mouth open for a minute or three.  A,so he, like some of his bio siblings has sleep apnea. 

Also posting the link to the ElleCee video because I don’t remember doing that.

Spoiler

• Thank You 1

2 minutes ago, clueliss said:

And the original birth name was Tuff Knight.  I may have sat with my mouth open for a minute or three.

Changing that boy's name to just about any name besides Tuff Knight is the best thing anyone could have done for him! Goodness...

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 9

13 hours ago, Aine said:

Changing that boy's name to just about any name besides Tuff Knight is the best thing anyone could have done for him! Goodness...

On Discovery Health’s “Secretly Pregnant,” one woman named two of her sons A’King and A’Knight.(Her oldest had a “normal” name.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 5

Not gonna lie, I have some family with the surname Knight who have joked about making their kids’ names a play on words. Some suggestions have been Jedi Knight, Starry Knight, Clare (which in their accent sounds like clear) Knight, etc. The difference is, that it’s just a joke that gets made and it isn’t something that would actually happen. Tuff is an interesting name. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

I believe the Knight was a middle name.  And Tuff is asking for playground issues IMO.  

I’m 100% ok with strange middle names. Knight as a middle name would be no problem. But Tuff is probably another issue. Even just changing it to Thomas Knight would be completely fine.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 1

On 7/25/2020 at 8:18 AM, smittykins said:

On Discovery Health’s “Secretly Pregnant,” one woman named two of her sons A’King and A’Knight.(Her oldest had a “normal” name.

This reminds me of a somewhat groanworthy joke .  

A pregnant woman from Virginia was involved in a car accident and, while in the hospital, she fell into a coma. When she awoke days later, the woman noticed that she was no longer carrying a child, and asked, "Doc, what happened to my baby!" 

The doctor replied, "Ma'am, you've had twins! You're the proud mother of a handsome baby boy and a beautiful baby girl. Also, you should know that while you were in a coma, your brother named the children for you." 

"Oh, no!" shrieked the woman. "Not my brother! He's not really all together, if you know what I mean!" 

The doctor replied, "Well, ma'am, your brother named your daughter Denise." 

"Oh, that's no so bad," smiled the woman. Then, hesitantly, she asked, "What's the boy's name?" 

The doctor grinned and said, "Denephew." 

https://www.englishforums.com/English/HelpDeniseDenephew/bjbdh/post.htm  

• Haha 6
  • Love 1

From their Instagram.  The Mormon vloggers were all posting about the endit movement about human trafficking.  This is JourNee.  

Edited by clueliss

On 5/21/2020 at 7:32 PM, Nikedagain? said:

I think this is because they are - for some unknown reason - trying to keep it on the down low that Kass and Josh actually live up there. They did some renovation to create a kitchen area in Kass' existing suite, but it's still the same space. 

These people are very obnoxious and loud. So loud. 

I saw a video of Kass "kidnapping" two of her sisters for a sleepover and I assumed they lived somewhere else cuz I believe they got ice cream first. It makes sense that they live on the third floor, cuz it didn't show the outside of the building I don't think. I was wondering why they were taking so long to post the 3rd floor tour. They shouldn't have to lie. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/24/2020 at 2:47 PM, Maggie Mae said:

I really liked what she said at the end of this video, about why she edits out the meltdowns. I know it's just a small snippet of their lives but I just like her so much in comparison to many bloggers out there who show everything, while not thinking about the child's feelings about the matter. 

I cut too much out. How do we know that the Maxwells have decent money? 

I also love this mom. Not showing meltdowns and spending time with her kids are two reasons. I also love their house. I believe dad is an engineer and pre kids, mom was an architect? I just recently found them and I thought she said that in a video. 

I wish they would do a budget video. I watched Christmas 2019 and I would love to know their budget for the kids' gifts. They do "a want, need, wear and read," iirc and then group/family gifts. That year I don't remember all of them but the little girls got that Frozen dollhouse, they got a gaming system and I forget the others.

On 5/27/2020 at 5:42 PM, Maggie Mae said:

Kass just did a ridiculously long pregnancy test video. 

The joke video? Oh no, sorry that was on Tiffany's channel when she found an old pregnancy test and she and one of the older girls I can't remember wanted to prank the family. I'll have to go look for Kass' video on her channel.

13 minutes ago, calliopecassandra said:

I cut too much out. How do we know that the Maxwells have decent money? 

I don't think they have millions, but the Maxwells have a decent house, I think Steve used to work as an engineer for Boeing, they shop at REI/Costco, etc. They are solidly middle/upper middle for their area. They aren't doing the Mills family grift or rationing food for financial reasons. 

I wish they would do a budget video. I watched Christmas 2019 and I would love to know their budget for the kids' gifts. They do "a want, need, wear and read," iirc and then group/family gifts.

Seems like they got a lot more than 3 gifts each, plus the switches and a trip to Hawaii. 

2 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

I don't think they have millions, but the Maxwells have a decent house, I think Steve used to work as an engineer for Boeing, they shop at REI/Costco, etc. They are solidly middle/upper middle for their area. They aren't doing the Mills family grift or rationing food for financial reasons.

Fair enough. That makes sense. I'm assuming he gets a pension and social security as well as any book and material sales.

2 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

Seems like they got a lot more than 3 gifts each, plus the switches and a trip to Hawaii. 

Not trying to nit pick but wear, read, want and need is 4. I agree they got a lot more than that. They made out! 

4 hours ago, calliopecassandra said:

.Not trying to nit pick but wear, read, want and need is 4. I agree they got a lot more than that. They made out! 

Thanks for pointing that out! 

At the beginning of the Christmas shopping video they mentioned the math of budgeting for 16 kids - at $100 a kid, that's still 1600 dollars. They did not stick to $100 per child. My source on that is basically what I can see - $65 vans, clothing, hydroflasks, new glasses, gaming technology, name brand clothing,new pajamas, toys, etc. Did they ever say if each sibling has to buy for all sibs or do they draw names? And can you imagine being the grandparent who hand made something for each kid? My hands feel cramped just thinking about that much knitting.

On 7/24/2020 at 3:32 PM, Aine said:

I take back the title I gave this thread. The Nelsons are fine child namers.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, TuringMachine said:

I take back the title I gave this thread. The Nelsons are fine child namers.

In fairness to the birthmom, the other 5 kids she named Lily, Kennedy, Peyton (I might be misremembering on this one), Kennlee, and Kelly.  I'm assuming Tuff Knight meant something to her since she typically picked normal names.

• Upvote 1

Journee's Q&A Video is up: 

She seems very uncomfortable with being on camera ?. I wonder if the kids are allowed to say "no" to doing these videos? Both her and Bridger still have some kind of accent which is strange considering they were very young when they were adopted and haven't spoken any Russian since. ? Maybe it's normal, I just find it interesting. Her name pre-adoption was: Ludmila. I don't understand the need to give out their surnames as well for safety reasons 

• Sad 3

I'm not sure how I feel about the kids changing their names. I don't mind kids changing their name if its their choice and they change it to something they choose. But I don't really think that's what's happening because so many of them have changed their name and amazingly they all seem to pick ones that go with the theme of their new parents picked. I think its the mom or both parents deciding to change the names. The one girl Lilly (or did it have one l) they didn't change her name but changed the spelling? Why? The mom mentions in Saidee's that "they" orginally picked Lexus supposedly Saidee and the mom until the mom heard her mother mention something  with Saidee in it and loved it. What about Saidee? Did she love it? Would she have been "allowed" to keep her original name? Or "allowed" to pick any another name if she wanted to that didn't have the "ee"? Probably not. 

• I Agree 7