IGNORED

Not Enough Nelsons: When Mormon Naming Goes Too Far

TuringMachine

They posted an update about Beckham. (And the other ER trips)

This was the fifth ER visit in the last few months.  Beckham broke a foot, NayVee did something to her thumb, Trey burned his hand, DelayNee did something to her foot and then the Beckham concussion.

Beckham is mostly over the concussion but shouldn’t do things like jump in the trampoline.

Everyone is better.  

and for crying out loud, they went to McDonald’s with Beckham, built the kid up and then crushed him because the playground at it was closed.  How did they not figure that it would be closed in a pandemic?

• Upvote 6

16 hours ago, clueliss said:

They posted an update about Beckham. (And the other ER trips)

This was the fifth ER visit in the last few months.  Beckham broke a foot, NayVee did something to her thumb, Trey burned his hand, DelayNee did something to her foot and then the Beckham concussion.

Beckham is mostly over the concussion but shouldn’t do things like jump in the trampoline.

Everyone is better.  

and for crying out loud, they went to McDonald’s with Beckham, built the kid up and then crushed him because the playground at it was closed.  How did they not figure that it would be closed in a pandemic?

Also I feel like maybe he shouldn't have gone into the playground if he wasn't fully over the concussion?

• I Agree 13

16 hours ago, clueliss said:

I'm honestly shocked that any McDos still has a playplace. I thought they removed all of them for liability and cleaning reasons well before the pandemic. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 3

I think they removed the one down the road from me now that you mention it.  But it was also renovated not that long ago.

• Upvote 1

Just finished watching the Nelsons' two part Christmas video. Holy crap... what a lot of money was spent... on crap mostly. Do none of these children read (except KenneDee who got YA books)? I don't know about you but when I was a child, that much chaos and presents would totally overwhelm me and I would have a breakdown sometime during the day (and I was generally a pretty steady kid). What's the point of all that junk? They have too much to play with and too many electronics. It would've been nice to see more books and more craft supplies or something besides clothes and makeup and electronics.

Yes, I'm a wee bit judgmental but with the exception of NayVee who burst into tears when she unwrapped one gift and thus showed that she appreciated it, I didn't see any thankfulness. And the chaos at the end with the treasure hunt was not needed. Where do they put all this stuff?

• Upvote 2

@jegfile, you just reminded me of a certain Christmas when I was little, back in the ‘50s. My grandpa, child of Italian immigrants and the first person in the family to go to college (he put himself through Columbia and became an architect) lost his shirt in the Depression. Through years of hard work, he and Grandma were well-off by the ‘40s, and by the time we grandkids came along in the ‘50s, they made Christmas spectacular.

Their surname meant “St. Nicholas,” and Grandpa often said, “I’m the *real* Santa Claus.” He and Grandma put on a magnificent spread, and there were mountains of gifts under the tree for all nine of us grandkids. I was always grateful, but at age five or so, I remember thinking, “This is too much!”

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, Hane said:

@jegfile, you just reminded me of a certain Christmas when I was little, back in the ‘50s. My grandpa, child of Italian immigrants and the first person in the family to go to college (he put himself through Columbia and became an architect) lost his shirt in the Depression. Through years of hard work, he and Grandma were well-off by the ‘40s, and by the time we grandkids came along in the ‘50s, they made Christmas spectacular.

Their surname meant “St. Nicholas,” and Grandpa often said, “I’m the *real* Santa Claus.” He and Grandma put on a magnificent spread, and there were mountains of gifts under the tree for all nine of us grandkids. I was always grateful, but at age five or so, I remember thinking, “This is too much!”

That’s my dad. He buys my kids so much stuff. Along with everyone else. Christmas has always been that way with him. I know it’s one of the many ways he shows his love. But I get rid of some of it immediately by donating it. We live in a small house and don’t have room for all of it.

• Upvote 6

I’ve actually had philosophical issues with many of the vlogger families I follow re Christmas.  Haven’t watched the Nelson’s Christmas Day videos yet.  I did watch Christmas Eve.  As someone raised in a working class family who had a single mom beginning at age 10 and a checked out father I just keep feeling like it’s just too much.  

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

I'm actually the opposite. I don't think the Nelsons go overboard. They do have a lot of money, and the kids get nice stuff. But I think they only get a few things each, other than the group gift. Last year, they got the pajamas, but they are wearing the same ones this year. The little kids got a bit more, with the toys. But everyone else gets at least one thing to read, one thing to wear, one thing they need, and one thing they want. Some of the kids put non-books on their "things to read" list, So I guess some of them are not big readers. It just seems like a ton because there are a ton of people, and it is pretty nice stuff. 

Last year they got the group trip to Hawaii, that they never went on because of Covid, and this year it seems like they got the treasure hunt to find high ticket items for each person? I'm not entirely sure what was going on there, but to say they all got "crap" seems untrue to me. They got decent hoodies and shoes, not super high end but not Walmart brand. Journee got a TV for her apartment. Bridger got his car back. (I'm guessing there is more to that story that they chose not to share.) The middle kids all got nice scooters and those car things that aren't quite ATVs. Kennedee and Kass got iPads. And the little boys just got a ton of toys. Beckham seems SO easy to buy for. I'd have a hard time not buying him everything with Spiderman. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

I think even among hands-on, progressive, and otherwise loving families, family blogs are just generally questionable with an implied asterisk that other blogs don't have. 

• Upvote 6

They also have a lot of sponsors. Last year they interrupted the Christmas Day stuff with a weird awkward audible commercial. I think they tried to do that again with the "Lilee doesn't read" stuff. And then there was the vitamin commercial at the beginning of the shopping for Christmas video. 

At least they thank their viewers and know where the money comes from. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, jegfile said:

Just finished watching the Nelsons' two part Christmas video. Holy crap... what a lot of money was spent... on crap mostly. Do none of these children read (except KenneDee who got YA books)? I don't know about you but when I was a child, that much chaos and presents would totally overwhelm me and I would have a breakdown sometime during the day (and I was generally a pretty steady kid). What's the point of all that junk? They have too much to play with and too many electronics. It would've been nice to see more books and more craft supplies or something besides clothes and makeup and electronics.

Yes, I'm a wee bit judgmental but with the exception of NayVee who burst into tears when she unwrapped one gift and thus showed that she appreciated it, I didn't see any thankfulness. And the chaos at the end with the treasure hunt was not needed. Where do they put all this stuff?

In just the short time that I have been watching a bit of them, I have definitely seen a dramatic shift towards stuff. EXPENSIVE stuff. Lots of emphasis on the stuff. 

It's sad because I liked them for a hot minute. But alas, I'm tired of their shopping trips to Target and Hobby Lobby and decorating rooms in light beige and medium beige. And talking about all their STUFF. 

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Nikedagain? said:

In just the short time that I have been watching a bit of them, I have definitely seen a dramatic shift towards stuff. EXPENSIVE stuff. Lots of emphasis on the stuff. 

It's sad because I liked them for a hot minute. But alas, I'm tired of their shopping trips to Target and Hobby Lobby and decorating rooms in light beige and medium beige. And talking about all their STUFF. 

Some channels have just become commercials. How boring. 

• Upvote 1

I’ve now watched both parts of their Christmas Day videos.  Note that I did have these on while assembling a cat tower and may have been distracted.

they only junk I saw was perhaps a massive amount of candy.  But that’s me.  With 16 kids plus Josh and the parents that’s just a massive amount of presents in general.  

Nayvee crying over getting air pods was sweet.  

The books Kenadee got was The Hunger Games in a box set and The Divergent series.  Not judging because I’ve read both series as an adult.  

Also, they mentioned in one of the, that they have over 700k subscribers.  I know in the YouTube world there is recognition from YouTube (you can order a play button plaque) at 100k subscribers (for a silver button) and 1m subscribers (for a gold button).  They haven’t been at the vlogging game that long and they’ve got a decent subscriber bases.  So, yes, they are attracting the attention of sponsors.  We’re starting to see members of the Bates and Duggar families get into vlogging.  There is money there with the right level of subscribers.  And two or three of the LDS vlog families I follow make a living from their channels.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

• 2 months later...

today they posted a video detailing JourNee’s special needs an adoption.

• Thank You 1

Not trying to make a joke out of a serious subject, but in the latest video, DelayNee cuts her leg open and the ambulance is called. An EMT asks for her name. Kass answers, DelayNee Nelson, N-E-L-S-O-N.

Girl, if you need to spell any part of that name, it ain't Nelson.

• Haha 25
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Check out the latest video... Kass' 22nd birthday. No one ever rented a vacation house just for my birthday. And more stuff. I wouldn't have had time to use all the stuff I got for Christmas, let alone all this new stuff. Here's hoping there's a drop-off to a thrift store in her future.

**Everything is SO CUTE** Barf.

Interesting comments on their FB page. Why does Kass come second in the list of kids when she is actually 4th? (Both JourNee and Bridger are older than her.)

• Upvote 2

I also noticed that like many other Mormons, they ignored the fact that Covid is still a pandemic and went to Disneyworld because they needed that Disney fix.

• Upvote 4
  • Disgust 1

30 minutes ago, jegfile said:

Check out the latest video... Kass' 22nd birthday. No one ever rented a vacation house just for my birthday. And more stuff. I wouldn't have had time to use all the stuff I got for Christmas, let alone all this new stuff.

She got a purse, shoes, a wallet, makeup and some snacks. It's all stuff that normal people use. It's not like they bought her something completely useless. Her Christmas presents was similar, makeup, an iPad, and IIRC, a phone case. I don't know how you live, but in my world that's all stuff that's going to be used. 

That being said, the part were she went down the stairs in the pink dress and had her sister carry her dress not-a-train was absurd. I like KennaDee a lot more than her and wish she would occasionally take the camera away from Kass. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, Maggie Mae said:

She got a purse, shoes, a wallet, makeup and some snacks. It's all stuff that normal people use. It's not like they bought her something completely useless. Her Christmas presents was similar, makeup, an iPad, and IIRC, a phone case. I don't know how you live, but in my world that's all stuff that's going to be used. 

So when you turned 22, you got a purse that cost $2000 (in my country) and a wallet that cost $1100 and shoes on top of the three pairs of shoes that she already got for Christmas. That's more shoes than I own total including winter boots and summer sandals. She demonstrated something the salesperson showed her about the purse that she didn't know - suggesting that she already has a Louis Vuittan purse. Do you really need that many $2000 purses? I don't. And it's just spending money for the sake of having stuff. My purse was $25.00 at a store in my town that wasn't a brand name and I still hemmed and hawed over spending the money because it seemed like a lot.

• Upvote 3
  • Move Along 1
  • Eyeroll 1

You were complaining about the amount (volume) of items, not the price. I was pointing out that Kass is very girly and into that stuff, and it's not an overwhelming amount of items. Most of it, other than the purse, is consumable. The snacks and the makeup will be used. Shoes aren't worn forever. The purse is nice, but when she grows tired of it, she'll be able to resell it and put the funds toward a new one. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

On 6/27/2020 at 12:52 PM, clueliss said:

They posted a video about where Bridget has been.  He’s battled addiction and returned to rehab

Sorry, I know I'm really late with this, but...did they seriously send a kid to private rehab ($$$) because he smoked pot? Maybe it's just my inner drug addict speaking here, but that seems incredibly excessive.

He seems like a nice kid, and it appears that he knows himself well, especially considering how young he is. His affable personality really shines in this video. I think he has the potential to go really far in life. I hope that this video was posted with his full awareness of the possible long-term consequences of this kind of information being public, though.

On 10/12/2020 at 2:40 PM, Maggie Mae said:

I haven't watched the latest video yet, but I know in my area, the only dogs available at the animal shelter are pit bulls or huskies, usually mixes of one or both. There are a ton of rescues that seem to "rescue" everything else before anyone has a chance to adopt. Which is fine, but they have their own standards to who can adopt what dog and not everyone meets them. I live in a house, my partner runs up to 50 miles a week and does ultra marathons, I've run up to 25 miles a week, yet since we don't have a fenced in yard (corner lot), we can't adopt from any of the rescues. We don't want a pitbull mix, and I don't want the double coat challenge of the huskie. So we've been looking at out-of-state breeders so we can get the kind of dog that would work with our lifestyle. Even though I think a mixed breed mutt would be nice, we'll probably get something bougie. 

Honestly, there are few climates in the continental United States that are suitable for a husky. I cringe when I see people post their huskies on Instagram or whatever in a completely inappropriate environment.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Joe Pukepail said:

Honestly, there are few climates in the continental United States that are suitable for a husky. I cringe when I see people post their huskies on Instagram or whatever in a completely inappropriate environment.

Honestly, I live in a place where a husky would be just fine. I just don't particularily want the double coat blowing out twice a year, nor do I want a retired sled dog or a rescue from a horrible situation due to our 24 year old macaw and age unknown senior cat. They were here first and shouldn't live in fear of an untrained husky. 

We're thinking something in the collie family, but I suspect I'll still be stuck dealing with the twice annual coat blowout unless we go with a dalmation or something shorthaired and wiry. 

Personally i prefer the size of the shetlie or maybe an aussie or border collie for where we're at right now. If dalmatians were slightly smaller I'd be all about that spotted dog life. There's even a breeder in my state. 

It's all just planning right now anyway, we talk about it but I think we might wait for the cat to move on.

• Upvote 1