IGNORED

Not Enough Nelsons: When Mormon Naming Goes Too Far

TuringMachine

15 hours ago, jegfile said:

Interesting comments on their FB page. Why does Kass come second in the list of kids when she is actually 4th? (Both JourNee and Bridger are older than her.)

I wasn't sure if JourNee was older or not BUT I do seem to call some crack (maybe from Bridger) about he's older but Kass was all upset when they were kids about not being the second oldest and insists on being called the second.  Or something like that. 

8 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

Honestly, I live in a place where a husky would be just fine. I just don't particularily want the double coat blowing out twice a year, nor do I want a retired sled dog or a rescue from a horrible situation due to our 24 year old macaw and age unknown senior cat. They were here first and shouldn't live in fear of an untrained husky. 

We're thinking something in the collie family, but I suspect I'll still be stuck dealing with the twice annual coat blowout unless we go with a dalmation or something shorthaired and wiry. 

Personally i prefer the size of the shetlie or maybe an aussie or border collie for where we're at right now. If dalmatians were slightly smaller I'd be all about that spotted dog life. There's even a breeder in my state. 

It's all just planning right now anyway, we talk about it but I think we might wait for the cat to move on.

Crap, I didn't mean that to sound like I was calling you out. I'm sorry! My sister is a dog groomer and I've just heard so many stories about people who make their husky live in the backyard in 95+ degree weather because of the coat thing. I totally didn't intend to accuse you of anything.

• Upvote 3

So I’ve watched a birthday party for Luke with a bunch of kids over to their house, no masks.

A birthday surprise for KennaDee.  They took her, her boyfriend and Kass/Josh to Vegas as a surprise.  

and now the Kass birthday video.  This one has me totally no ever caring if these folks get ad revenue from me ever again due to the cost of what I’m seeing.  To each their own but crikey.  

alsolast weekend they had a video that indicated that DelayNee got cut/injured enough at home to warrant calling an ambulance and getting stitches.  

• Upvote 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I'm getting old and grumpy, but there is absolutely nothing interesting about Kass and Josh. I think the only compelling thing about them is the Nelson family, and it sounds like they up and moved away from them...

Maybe not the best idea?

• Upvote 5

I saw that and dug back a short way on Just Kass and Josh and Kass channels.  Looks like they bought a lot and we’re going to build a house.   But then the tax guy advised the, to wait a year due to taxes (no clue, that’s just what they said).  Then there was a trip to Arizona “to see if they liked it there” or “if they could live there.”  And then bam, they decided to move and there is a house hunting video and moving videos.  And all of this before the “sudden” announcement on the family channel.  

i actually see that the, leaving the compound and living without family all over the place might be a good thing. 

My question is, who the heck is going to film for the family channel with Kass in Arizona for an alleged year?  

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, Nikedagain? said:

Maybe I'm getting old and grumpy, but there is absolutely nothing interesting about Kass and Josh. I think the only compelling thing about them is the Nelson family, and it sounds like they up and moved away from them...

Maybe not the best idea?

Kass is my least favorite person on that channel. I think with her gone, the channel might be a little more interesting and less click-baity. That all seemed like her work. And it seems like she was teaching NayVee how to do some of the filming, and the mom has filmed stuff by herself before. But wow, I wonder what Tiffanee is feeling right now, with so many kids moving out or going on missions all at once. Probably like they just got the big house and now it's emptying out... or relief. And god damn it I hope Kass doesn't get pregnant the second she moves out, she still acts so teenagery. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

On 5/20/2020 at 5:26 PM, Tatar-tot said:

It sounds like a pharmaceutical company named the children. 

YES! My DD and I regularly LOL at drug names, there must be a random drug name generator somewhere.  These children's names are...a choice. 

Edited by SilverBeach
clarify
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1

On 3/25/2021 at 9:42 AM, Maggie Mae said:

Honestly, I live in a place where a husky would be just fine. I just don't particularily want the double coat blowing out twice a year, nor do I want a retired sled dog or a rescue from a horrible situation due to our 24 year old macaw and age unknown senior cat. They were here first and shouldn't live in fear of an untrained husky. 

We're thinking something in the collie family, but I suspect I'll still be stuck dealing with the twice annual coat blowout unless we go with a dalmation or something shorthaired and wiry. 

Personally i prefer the size of the shetlie or maybe an aussie or border collie for where we're at right now. If dalmatians were slightly smaller I'd be all about that spotted dog life. There's even a breeder in my state. 

It's all just planning right now anyway, we talk about it but I think we might wait for the cat to move on.

Apologies if you already know this about Smooth Collies, which are closely related to the Lassie variety:

Although they are shown in separate classes, a Smooth Collie has a lot less coat than a Rough Collie (Lassie). We've had two Smooths: one purchased from a breeder as a puppy, and another that was returned to her breeder when her person went into memory care. The second joined our household as a five year old, and settled in immediately.  I sometimes joked that having lost one home through no fault of her home, Lody was damned if she would lose another. 

Smooths are just as cold hardy as Roughs, and tend to have the same personality. They are very people oriented and pretty chill about stuff once they get past their puppy stage. A lot of them are very vocal, both barking and "talking," though our adult rehomed Collie was one of the quietest dogs I've ever known.

The ones I know have all been good with cats. Haven't tested them with birds, though. 

Smooths do shed, as they are also double coated dogs. They just don't produce the volume of hair that a Rough does. They are a lot of easier to groom than Roughs. 

Edited by FiveAcres
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, clueliss said:

Aww good for her. 

This is so superficial of me and I'm judging myself hardcore, but KennaDee is so much prettier than Kass. Or at the very least, her personality (that we've been shown) is less annoying and "in your face." Don't get me wrong, I totally understand Kass - she's girly, she's into hair and make up and youtube, and all those things are OK. But it's just so not compatible with me. Kennadee seems more chill, more studious, and isn't ashamed of reading YA books in her 20s. 

I hope Kennadee is allowed to keep whatever she wants private off of the channel and that they have a wonderful wedding and a long marriage, but also that she's not afraid to end it if it's not working out. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

In the last YT video, Chase is asking her parents for their blessing, and they specifically mention that was March 6th. The dad took out a piece of paper that was an application to date/marry his daughter, and started asking Chase really personal questions when I realized he was actually just joking. 

I watched that video just this morning (I don't follow them on Instagram) and figured a proposal would be coming very soon/was already engaged and waiting to announce because I don't think their videos usually take a month and a half to edit and upload. 

I agree about her seeming less obnoxious than Kass. 

• Upvote 4

• 1 month later...

Yesterday they had a video with JourNee.  She and the boyfriend apparently got rather serious but she's not sure and they have put things on hold.  Meanwhile - JourNee will be doing an 18 month LDS Mission.  It sounded like she was interested in an international posting but do not know where she'll actually be going yet. 

Also NayVee had an ER visit after getting a ring stuck on one of her fingers.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

On 6/8/2021 at 1:14 PM, clueliss said:

Yesterday they had a video with JourNee.  She and the boyfriend apparently got rather serious but she's not sure and they have put things on hold.  Meanwhile - JourNee will be doing an 18 month LDS Mission.  It sounded like she was interested in an international posting but do not know where she'll actually be going yet. 

Also NayVee had an ER visit after getting a ring stuck on one of her fingers.

I was a little confused when Tiffany (TiffaNee?) said they had to either break up or get married, pretty much. I hope that is an oversimplification of what went into it. I also hope JourNee decided this on her own. I feel like it wasn't all that long ago we saw JourNee and TiffaNee (I don't think this is how she spells her name, but considering she did that to all her daughters, I am now typing it that way) go out to dinner with her (then) boyfriend, Cameron, and his mother. While I understand both JourNee and Cameron have special needs, I'd like to think that wasn't some meeting where the mothers decided they shouldn't be together any longer. 

I am always really interested to hear about different religious conservatives and what is/isn't okay (both fundies on here and in real life encounters). KennaDee got to go to Hawaii with her either boyfriend or fiance. I'm guessing they can get away with this because there's a group of friends with like-minded values, and I'm assuming the girls stay together and the guys  stay together, and there is accountability and all that (still takes trust on the parents part on behalf of the kids, which clearly doesn't exist in families like the Duggars). The teens are allowed to kiss at 16, but wouldn't get a car bought for them. Janie was a senior in high school and allowed to kiss her boyfriend, so I'm not sure if that changes at 17 or 18 for them. Then again, they seem to be okay with their 10-13 year old (girls) in full make up (I was not raised religiously but I don't think this would have been acceptable for me at that age with the exception of crazy special circumstances).

• Upvote 4

My guess is that given both JourNee and Cameron's particular diagnoses, they might be more literal and rule-oriented when it comes to integrating the morals of their religion with their real lives.  My understanding of mormons is there is a huge emphasis on finding your spouse and getting married and dating is often taken fairly seriously.  I can totally see that being translated to them as we have progressed to the point where we think we need to either get married or not, we're not ready to get married, so we shouldn't keep dating if we're not ready for marriage.  I can also see this being highlighted by KennaDee getting engaged and married soon, even though she was dating her partner for a shorter time than JourNee.  

For the kissing thing, I think the rule is they ask them to not have their first kiss until they turn 16, then they get a car. The make up and hair thing makes me think of the emphasis in mormonism around finding your spouse and developing into your gender role.  It seems like they can't ever just brush their hair and that's it; it needs to be styled in a particular way, even for one of the girls who seems like quite the tomboy and uninterested in her hair.

• Thank You 2
  • Love 1

From what I’ve heard and read about Mormons, it’s all about the presentation. Your family has to look and act perfect all the time. Therefore your hair and clothing must always look good. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4

Based on what I've observed from a very good friend who is LDS (and her son is currently on and LDS Mission in South America) there is a lot of emphasis on going on their mission and I believe not dating/getting serious etc unless you have been on one.  KennaDee has been on one.  And I believe Janie is already planning on one.  They may have wanted JourNee to go to school to get some life skills etc due to special needs before going on one.  My personal suspicion is they want her to go on the mission before she gets serious about someone.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

What I find really interesting is it doesn't seem like either of their sons have been on a mission yet.  My understanding was that there is a lot more pressure on men to do a mission than women.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Natalie22 said:

What I find really interesting is it doesn't seem like either of their sons have been on a mission yet.  My understanding was that there is a lot more pressure on men to do a mission than women.

That was my impression too. If a female gets married young and before ever going on a mission, it’s not a huge deal. But a male would be pressured to do a mission before marriage. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

They've hinted that potentially Bridger may have had some substance abuse issues and was at some point getting help (that was my interpretation at least). I can see why this would have prevented him from going on a mission. But I agree- why hasn't Trey gone on one?

It's really interesting to learn about this and the aspect of marriage and missions. Kass knew Josh from high school, and I'm guessing they've known for a while they wanted to get married, so it made sense for both of them to do their missions right away (plus Kass didn't have college aspirations). KennaDee met her fiance post-mission, but she speaks openly about wanting a large family as well, and I'll assume that if you want a large family, you would ideally be getting married at a younger age. Janie seems to be in a serious relationship and it wouldn't surprise me if she married her boyfriend. While she seems the most studious of at least the older group of kids and has talked about her college aspirations for a while, it looks like she will pause her college education for her mission.

They don't show Trey nearly as much (and if he doesn't want to showcase his personal life, I'm happy they are respecting that!), but I'm curious if he just isn't as focused on marriage right now and therefore a mission isn't necessary at this point. He works, so I'm guessing he's just saving a lot of money right now.

I know Kass ended her mission early due to health issues, but in normal circumstances do men and women serve their mission for the same amount of time? Not that it's the same, but in Israel, men have a longer required service time than women do in most positions.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I know Kass ended her mission early due to health issues, but in normal circumstances do men and women serve their mission for the same amount of time? Not that it's the same, but in Israel, men have a longer required service time than women do in most positions.

As far as i understand it no. Missions are 2 years for males, 1 year and a half for females.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

Another YT channel I follow (This is How We Bingham) just had a daughter announce her Mission assignment this week.  They did a Q&A with her about this that posted yesterday.

For Males - minimum age 18 and 2 years.

For Females - minimum age 19 and 18 months.  (the daughter in this family had just completed her first year at BYU.  She will start her mission in October and pause her BYU education/scholarship until her mission is complete and then return to school)

Kass did a mission but came home early due to severe headache issues (that they later learned was likely caused by a serious benign tumor in her neck).

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

Interesting! Thank you all :)

I went to UNC and we had a 3rd string point guard who was a Mormon and was on the basketball roster for his freshman year. Due to our first two starters getting injured, he actually started a few games in the NCAA March Madness Tournament when UNC was a 1 seed (this was rare and crazy but he actually did pretty well and the school gave him the nickname Stormin' Mormon!). After his first year, he took time off to do his mission (which the basketball program knew about in advanced), I graduated, but I guess he did return and play for the team again.

Here's a few articles if anyone is interested- an interesting quote relevant to what we've been discussing:

A “good majority” of his fellow missionaries from back then, White said, have already married. Some of them have children. And here he is, in the final months of his senior year of college, with who-knows-how-many-games left as a college basketball player.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/unc-now/article136325508.html

https://www.wect.com/story/35772078/stilman-white-reflects-on-his-six-year-carolina-journey/

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2021 at 6:44 AM, front hugs > duggs said:

They've hinted that potentially Bridger may have had some substance abuse issues and was at some point getting help (that was my interpretation at least). I can see why this would have prevented him from going on a mission.

They did a whole interview with him where he talked about his struggles with drugs. I think even if he decided he wanted to do a mission, he wouldn't get a temple recommend. Not that he seems like he's drinking the Kool aid enough to want it...

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
Interesting! Thank you all [emoji4]
I went to UNC and we had a 3rd string point guard who was a Mormon and was on the basketball roster for his freshman year. Due to our first two starters getting injured, he actually started a few games in the NCAA March Madness Tournament when UNC was a 1 seed (this was rare and crazy but he actually did pretty well and the school gave him the nickname Stormin' Mormon!). After his first year, he took time off to do his mission (which the basketball program knew about in advanced), I graduated, but I guess he did return and play for the team again.
Here's a few articles if anyone is interested- an interesting quote relevant to what we've been discussing:
A “good majority” of his fellow missionaries from back then, White said, have already married. Some of them have children. And here he is, in the final months of his senior year of college, with who-knows-how-many-games left as a college basketball player.
https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/unc-now/article136325508.html
https://www.wect.com/story/35772078/stilman-white-reflects-on-his-six-year-carolina-journey/

Stilman White. UNC is a basketball powerhouse, although they’re notorious for having really bad seasons and stretches of bad seasons upon occasion.

Roy Williams (their legendary coach) just retired, but luckily they’d long had a coach-in-waiting, so there’s much curiosity about what Hubert Davis will do to turn the program around.
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...

I'm not fully sure why either Kass or Kenn are doing back to school giveaways and outfits when neither of them are going back to school. Kenn especially seems like she really has no content ideas to produce and is consistently asking her followers what to post. I know Chase is in dentistry school, and I'm guessing Kenn's channel is their income, so she needs to start figuring out how to make interesting content.

Also, she's mentioned that she has an IUD, which I just found interesting for some reason.

There is a married ex-Mormon couple on YT called Jordan and McKay - I guess they went viral on TikTok and decided to make a channel talking about their experiences in the LDS church. I saw them pop up when they did a react style video to a NEN video of NayVee getting "the talk". Now I'm going through and watching a bunch of their videos, and then I also found a video of an Endowment ceremony in the church.

• Upvote 2