IGNORED

Coronavirus 3

GreyhoundFan

2 hours ago, Becky said:

Woman who refused to wear mask in Starbucks wants half the GoFundMe set up for the barista who stood up to her

My favorite part is where she says she can't wear a mask because, among other things, she gets "mask acne."  Oh, and she can't hire a lawyer because they are expensive, so she set up a GoFundMe.  :pb_rollseyes:

Mask acne?  Give me a fucking break already. That just shits and pisses on people who have PTSD or legitimate reasons to not wear a mask. 

• I Agree 6

Victoria is setting new records for Australia with 428 cases today. There is a lot of testing being done, and hopefully the numbers are reflecting low symptom and asymptomatic cases being picked up. Still rumours of a full shut down (at the moment you can leave home to shop, work, exercise and for medical attention - a full shutdown would close pretty much all shops and prohibit exercise.) 

My friend had a setback yesterday, and went back under full sedation, but appears to have improved again over the last 24 hours and they are moving her again towards coming off the ventilator. It'll be a week tonight since she was hospitalised. I really hoped she would be extubated by now.

• Love 14

4 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Victoria is setting new records for Australia with 428 cases today. There is a lot of testing being done, and hopefully the numbers are reflecting low symptom and asymptomatic cases being picked up. Still rumours of a full shut down (at the moment you can leave home to shop, work, exercise and for medical attention - a full shutdown would close pretty much all shops and prohibit exercise.) 

My friend had a setback yesterday, and went back under full sedation, but appears to have improved again over the last 24 hours and they are moving her again towards coming off the ventilator. It'll be a week tonight since she was hospitalised. I really hoped she would be extubated by now.

Praying for the best for your friend.

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

Texas GOP In-Person Convention Back On in Last-Minute Ruling

U.S. District Judge Lynn Hughes granted an emergency request by Texas GOP officials Friday to reinstate the in-person political gathering, which was canceled last week by Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner. [...]

Jared Woodfill, a lawyer for the Texas GOP, confirmed Hughes’s ruling but didn’t immediately say whether the city had agreed to let conventioneers into the facility Saturday morning or would seek an emergency order blocking Hughes’s decision at a higher court.

Mary Benton, a spokeswoman for the mayor, didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

Texas GOP officials on Monday had shifted to a virtual convention after a flurry of state court rulings went against them. One ruling, by the Texas Supreme Court, said that while the GOP has a constitutional right to hold its political gathering as it prefers, that right doesn’t let the party “commandeer” the city’s convention center.  [...]

But after technical difficulties derailed the GOP’s online convention voting on Thursday, party officials made a last-ditch bid on Friday. They asked Hughes to order Houston to allow delegates into the George R. Brown Convention Center so they could select their party’s presidential electors on Saturday and Sunday. They stressed that extensive social-distancing and cleaning procedures that convention staff had previously arranged would let the cavernous hall, which holds 50,000, safely, host several thousand delegates who’d traveled to Houston this week despite cancellation of the in-person convention.

Juanita Jean explains what happens if the Republicans can't select their electors:

Spoiler

image.png.409aea5f1e9d3f3d985653e8ef447cf2.png

Jackass Orange can't be reelected without Texas' 38 electoral votes in his column.

Had to share this comment from one of her readers:

Spoiler

image.png.d5ce3de2c3b40d9185df7d03a9def226.png

• Upvote 7
  • WTF 2

So stopped by HyVee this morning (needed a few things but one item was Nasopure sinus rinse packets which are found there).  A woman asked me where I got my mask that has the things that stretch around your ears.  Note:  I was wearing a black fabric mask that has fabric for going around my ears.  I told her Amazon, and I got them months ago.  Mentally I’m still thinking, because I’ve been masking since March, my employer has required it since sometime in May and while I’m not currently at the office daily it became quickly apparent that I needed a minimum of 7 masks (one per day of the week) and only had 3 that I ordered in late February.  This woman was at least my age but probably older and is only now worrying about masks because city ordinance now requires it and all the stores nationally (minus apparently Winn Dixie, which we don’t have but I now wouldn’t shop at because alllllll the anti mask folks will go there) are requiring masks.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, clueliss said:

my employer has required it since sometime in May and while I’m not currently at the office daily it became quickly apparent that I needed a minimum of 7 masks (one per day of the week) and only had 3 that I ordered in late February.

When we first needed masks and didn't have a clue where to find them, we bartered with a nice neighbor and ended up with four total (two washable masks each for me and my husband).  (We didn't need many, because for awhile we were terrified to leave the house.)  My husband had a couple disposable masks for backup, which was good because he lost one of his good masks about a month ago.  So...I went online and ordered about 20 masks.  It's good to have extras scattered about (in cars, golf bags, bike backpacks) just in case. 

Not that we were ever in denial, but we should have stocked up on masks long ago.  I've told my husband to feel free to hand out any extras to anyone who needs one.  Based on a recommendation from someone here, we ordered some nice ones from Nordstrom and also bulk ordered through Old Navy. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

Now that I have enough because I ordered more off of Etsy I’ve learned to leave one in the car in case I forget to stash them in my purse

• Upvote 5

Yesterday I found two that I'd stashed in the glove compartment of the car a couple of months ago and forgotten about them.  I usually leave at least one in the passenger seat.  WHO has recommended that those of us 60 and up wear the disposable, surgical masks so I've mostly switched to those now.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

Masks are mandatory here in public from Thursday - announced yesterday, shops sold out of disposable about two hours later. My local area was already at about 50-60% mask wearing already, hopefully those who are really anti will stay the hell home ($200 fine if not wearing - exemptions are vigorous exercise, or where it interferes with your work e.g. call centre) but the whinging online started immediately. Fortunately the pushback has mostly been "so stay home then - they do online delivery now".

My friend is stable and progressing. Long road.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 4

Wow, this is sad.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 4

One of the largest school districts in Missouri just hit the brakes on reopening due to Health Department warning (note, this district doesn't usually return until after Labor Day either).  

• Upvote 5

KC Mayor (who issued a mask order) photographed over the weekend at the Lake of Ozarks in a group - without a mask now undergoing Covid19 testing (because, well, now you look like a dumbass for not wearing a mask)

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

On 7/19/2020 at 11:17 AM, CTRLZero said:

Not that we were ever in denial, but we should have stocked up on masks long ago.  I've told my husband to feel free to hand out any extras to anyone who needs one.  Based on a recommendation from someone here, we ordered some nice ones from Nordstrom and also bulk ordered through Old Navy. 

The ones from Old Navy are good, but I like the ones from Gap better - they have wire across the nose. They are more expensive than Old Navy, but since they're sister companies you can buy from both in one transaction. I have enough, but I'm thinking of getting a few more.

Hopefully people will be used to them enough that people will start wearing them any time they have the sniffles, like in some other countries. I might wear them when it's cold to warm my nose up, needed or not, now that I have them.

I had to run in a gas station today and everyone in there was wearing a mask, though the cashier had hers under her nose. She was behind a partition at least. Last time I went in I was the only person wearing one, which was annoying.

• Upvote 6

22 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Masks are mandatory here in public from Thursday - announced yesterday, shops sold out of disposable about two hours later. My local area was already at about 50-60% mask wearing already, hopefully those who are really anti will stay the hell home ($200 fine if not wearing - exemptions are vigorous exercise, or where it interferes with your work e.g. call centre) but the whinging online started immediately. Fortunately the pushback has mostly been "so stay home then - they do online delivery now".

My friend is stable and progressing. Long road.

Famous last words from me re masks recently right ? 

I think NSW will follow soon. I bought some yesterday because people are idiots and the masks won’t be available for long with the panic buying happening here. I would say that mask wearing was around 40% - 50% in parts of Sydney before the announcement about it being compulsory down south.

Its great news about the successful vaccine trial. There’s still a long way to go but it is a good start.

https://www.9news.com.au/world/coronavirus-vaccine-updates-oxford-university-vaccine-prompts-immune-response-in-early-test/4de527bb-b98a-409c-8ef1-b9120844b347

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

My gosh I love Claire (and wish she were still our Senator instead of little Josh Hawley)

And then this is retweeted - by Big Brother 8 winner Evel Dick (aka Dick Donato).  (it's bizzaro world and my worlds keep overlapping and meeting)

• Upvote 7

6 hours ago, clueliss said:

Who had volcano on the bingo card for 2020?

Me, and for July! Technically it was supervolcano, but I'm claiming it. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, clueliss said:

My gosh I love Claire (and wish she were still our Senator instead of little Josh Hawley)

And then this is retweeted - by Big Brother 8 winner Evel Dick (aka Dick Donato).  (it's bizzaro world and my worlds keep overlapping and meeting)

I watched the Frontline documentary on the Italian part of the pandemic from March-May of this year last night. One of the people they followed was an 18 year old, on a respirator. Seriously, at this point in the crisis to be saying "Oh it only affects older people"/" it's not serious in younger people"/"kids don't get/spread it" is ludicrously ignorant. We have 12 schools which are being deep cleaned now because of positive cases in students. One of our largest clusters is from a high school.  Our schools (apart from schools catering to kids with additional needs and year 11 and 12 students) are closed. 

Saying "The kids will go home and they'll get over it" - yeah, the majority will. But they will pass it on, and even if the majority of those cases don't need hospitalization it doesn't take a huge number of people who do to overwhelm the system.

I really wish some people would stop trying to reject reality to implement their own.

• Upvote 10

Time to avoid Family Dollar and Dollar Tree - they've given up on requiring masks

• Disgust 1
  • WTF 5
  • Thank You 2

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic