IGNORED

Coronavirus 3

GreyhoundFan

3 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Some of it is that it is very hard to change culture against a threat that is invisible, and hard to perceive. It feels like things are getting better so people are relaxing... and unfortunately that's not helpful.

They're not allowed to relax.  I certainly can't.  Masks or a similar sort of face covering are mandated in stores, and I find it especially appalling that some employees and managers don't give enough of af to enforce a rule intended to protect them and their customers.  And the government apparently doesn't give enough of af to back up the mandate with oversight and penalties.  While things are much better than a few months ago - for the moment, anyway - we've still had tens of thousands of cases in my general area, with expected percentages of hospitalizations and deaths.  So no room for playing around.  Fortunately, the vast majority of shoppers and employees appear to be complying with the rule, but some stores are much better than others.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

Oh fuck. Just found out that a pregnant friend who has been fighting the virus for about a week was taken to ICU last night and will probably be intubated tonight.  And her partner (who I have been friends with for 27 years) cannot be there because she's in isolation, and none of us can go round to help because of the lockdown and it is awful. Hoping her parents can travel down - but then they can't see her either. 

About the only good news is that it doesn't appear to be affecting the pregnancy, and at this point pre-term delivery seems unlikely.  Hoping that stays the case. 

Oh and we had 216 new cases today, and are well over the 1 million tests mark. 

• Love 20

10 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Oh fuck. Just found out that a pregnant friend who has been fighting the virus for about a week was taken to ICU last night and will probably be intubated tonight.  And her partner (who I have been friends with for 27 years) cannot be there because she's in isolation, and none of us can go round to help because of the lockdown and it is awful. Hoping her parents can travel down - but then they can't see her either. 

About the only good news is that it doesn't appear to be affecting the pregnancy, and at this point pre-term delivery seems unlikely.  Hoping that stays the case. 

Oh and we had 216 new cases today, and are well over the 1 million tests mark. 

So sorry to hear about your friend. ?

• Sad 2
  • Thank You 1

Pandemic leads 7-Eleven to forgo free Slurpees on 7-11

DALLAS (AP) — The coronavirus pandemic has taken away another summertime tradition in the U.S.: There will be no free Slurpees at 7-Elevens on Saturday — July 11 — to hail a date that doubles as an abbreviation of the convenience store chain’s name.

7-Eleven has been giving away its slushy beverage to all customers for nearly 20 years on July 11, but it scrapped the promotion this summer to reduce the risk of people flocking to its stores and risking contracting the coronavirus.

“Gathering nine million of our closest friends in stores on one day just didn’t feel right,” said Marissa Jarratt, 7-Eleven’s chief marketing officer,

The Dallas-based chain instead decided to donate 1 million meals to Feeding America, a hunger relief group. The roughly 33 million people who had 7-Eleven’s membership app installed on their smartphones as of July 1 are also eligible for a free medium Slurpee at any time this month.

• Upvote 8

So I guess Bro Gary Hawkins didn't have a Slurpee to celebrate the 21st anniversary of the day he was saved.

Sad amen.  :goldfishsad:

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 6

Got a message from my local parish that they were cancelling the in person services this afternoon due to the most recent statistics.  I let them have it.  Not over the cancellation itself.  But over the fact that they waited as long as they did until just a couple hours beforehand before saying the in person was cancelled.

My point is do the fucking responsible thing and tell people it's cancelled at least a day in advance.  I would have been at the online services this morning if I had known sooner the in person was cancelled today.  I get really pissed fucking off when people pull this last minute shit then expect me to bend over backwards for them.  Had enough of that even before this current pandemic.  I get a little funny with scheduling horseshit and people dealing with me through work or otherwise better get the fuck used to it too.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 2

Great news.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 10

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 5

I can't stand junior:

• Upvote 5
  • Disgust 1
  • WTF 3

...like testing is some magic bullet.  Maybe their testing has an instant turn around.

Anyway, the first person in my husband's extended family has tested positive for coronavirus, a super healthy guy in his late 20s.  We've been isolating for months, so no contact with him or any of the other relatives.  He's not feeling too bad, but he reported on social media that he suddenly lost his sense of taste and smell yesterday.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 7
  • Love 2

3 minutes ago, Howl said:

.like testing is some magic bullet.  Maybe their testing has an instant turn around.

Plus I've read that up until day 4, false negatives are more common with a decreasing percentage each day.  So he could be exposed anyway from someone who has it, but isn't far enough along to test positive. 

• Upvote 12

4 hours ago, 47of74 said:

Got a message from my local parish that they were cancelling the in person services this afternoon due to the most recent statistics.  I let them have it.  Not over the cancellation itself.  But over the fact that they waited as long as they did until just a couple hours beforehand before saying the in person was cancelled.

My point is do the fucking responsible thing and tell people it's cancelled at least a day in advance.  I would have been at the online services this morning if I had known sooner the in person was cancelled today.  I get really pissed fucking off when people pull this last minute shit then expect me to bend over backwards for them.  Had enough of that even before this current pandemic.  I get a little funny with scheduling horseshit and people dealing with me through work or otherwise better get the fuck used to it too.

This is why I think planning to start in-person classes for students K-12 is just inappropriate at this time. Isn’t it far more disruptive for everyone to start and stop, start and stop? And WTH, Disney World. I can’t believe it’s open. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, SassyPants said:

This is why I think planning to start in-person classes for students K-12 is just inappropriate at this time. Isn’t it far more disruptive for everyone to start and stop, start and stop? And WTH, Disney World. I can’t believe it’s open. 

Sometimes people seem to think that just because many of us are staying home and working from home that we don't have schedules any more and any old thing flies.

I got a message back from the pastor apologizing for the last minute nature of today's cancellation but they want to keep notifying people on Sundays because they think the stats will change day to day.  At least they're going to do it earlier in the day.  I did ask if they could look in to a text message service since I'm more likely to see a text message from church rather than an email that's buried under fifty thousand other emails. 

• Upvote 3

Sad:

However, DeSantis won't do a damned thing for fear of upsetting the orange menace.

• Disgust 2
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 9

Court refuses to order Houston to host Texas GOP gathering

HOUSTON (AP) — The Texas Supreme Court on Monday upheld Houston’s refusal to allow the state Republican convention to hold in-person events in the city due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The court dismissed an appeal of a state district judge’s denial of a temporary restraining order sought by the state Republican Party. Shortly after the ruling, GOP leaders said they would call a meeting of the party’s executive committee to “finalize our path forward.” A separate court hearing was ongoing Monday in Harris County, where Houston is located, in which a different judge was hearing the party’s arguments to allow the convention to go forward.

The state GOP convention had been scheduled to begin Thursday at Houston’s downtown convention center and was expected to draw thousands of participants.

Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner, a Democrat, said last week that he had directed city lawyers to terminate the contract because he believed the event could not be held safely. He denied that the convention was cancelled due to political differences and cited the potential risk to service workers and first responders if the virus spread through the convention.

The state party sued a day later, alleging the city illegally breached the contract and accusing Turner of shedding “crocodile tears.”

“The Party argues it has constitutional rights to hold a convention and engage in electoral activities, and that is unquestionably true,” the Supreme Court wrote in its opinion. “But those rights do not allow it to simply commandeer use of the Center.”

State District Judge Larry Weiman last week sided with Turner, citing Houston statistics that show major hospitals exceeding their base intensive-care capacity due to an influx of COVID-19 patients.

Texas has set daily records in recent days for the number of COVID-19 deaths and confirmed cases. Top officials in Houston have called for the city to lock back down as area hospitals strain to accommodate an onslaught of patients.

The Texas Medical Association withdrew its sponsorship of the state GOP convention and asked organizers to cancel in-person gatherings. As the virus has surged throughout the state in June and July, Gov. Greg Abbott, the state’s top Republican, has reversed some business reopenings and broadly required the use of face masks.

State GOP chair James Dickey had insisted that organizers can hold the event safely. Prior to Turner’s move to cancel the convention, Dickey said the party had planned to institute daily temperature scans, provide masks, and install hand sanitizer stations.

For those playing along at home, all nine members of the Texas Supreme Court are Republicans, and four of them are up for reelection this year.

• Thank You 5

After court losses, Texas GOP to consider online convention

HOUSTON (AP) — The Republican Party of Texas said Monday it would consider moving its convention online after several courts refused to force Houston to allow in-person events the city canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Hours after the Texas Supreme Court dismissed the party’s appeal, the state GOP said in a statement that its executive committee would meet Monday night to vote on canceling a three-day event that would have drawn potentially thousands of people.

Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner, a Democrat, said last week that he had directed city lawyers to terminate the contract because he believed the event could not be held safely. He denied that the convention was cancelled due to political differences and cited the potential risk to service workers and first responders if the virus spread through Houston’s downtown convention center.

The state party sued a day later, alleging the city illegally breached the contract and accusing Turner of shedding “crocodile tears.”

“The Party argues it has constitutional rights to hold a convention and engage in electoral activities, and that is unquestionably true,” the Supreme Court wrote in its opinion. “But those rights do not allow it to simply commandeer use of the Center.”

State District Judge Daryl L. Moore on Monday afternoon denied another party request for an injunction forcing Houston to allow the convention.

Texas has set daily records in recent days for the number of COVID-19 deaths and confirmed cases. Top officials in Houston have called for the city to lock back down as area hospitals strain to accommodate an onslaught of patients.

State District Judge Larry Weiman last week sided with Turner, citing Houston statistics that show major hospitals exceeding their base intensive-care capacity due to an influx of COVID-19 patients.

The Texas Medical Association withdrew its sponsorship of the state GOP convention and asked organizers to cancel in-person gatherings. As the virus has surged throughout the state in June and July, Gov. Greg Abbott, the state’s top Republican, has reversed some business reopenings and broadly required the use of face masks.

State GOP chair James Dickey had insisted that organizers could hold the event safely. Prior to Turner’s move to cancel the convention, Dickey said the party had planned to institute daily temperature scans, provide masks, and install hand sanitizer stations.

State Democrats held an all-online convention in June. Nationally, the Republican Party is moving forward with plans for an in-person convention in August to be held in Jacksonville, Florida, though some GOP elected officials have said they won’t attend for health concerns.

I guess Republican Jesus was too busy to make the in-person convention happen for them . :popcorn2:

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5

I bet many of AA's customers would love it if Cruz was banned:

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

• Upvote 6

I missed the memo that plague squirrels were July 2020. I thought they were the September 2020 feature:

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I missed the memo that plague squirrels were July 2020. I thought they were the September 2020 feature:

No joke: when I used to take out-of-state visitors bushwhacking in the Colorado hills behind our house, I would warn them that we were in an area where bubonic plague was endemic in some of the wildlife, so if they became ill after leaving the state, warn their doctors that they had been in Colorado. Mostly we didn't consider it a problem unless we had to handle dead vermin corpses.

There were a couple of nasty diseases endemic to the area. I have a friend who had to get the rabies series after her horse died of rabies. That was a real shock since prior to that, we didn't customarily vaccinate horses against rabies in this part of Colorado, just our dogs and cats. I had the equine vet out the next week to administer the vaccine, as did all my friends. I never stopped getting it for my horses after that as part of their annual vaccinations. 

• Upvote 7

We vaccinate horses for Rabies in NJ, too.

Edited by mamallama
Rabies not Tabies
  • Upvote 2

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic