IGNORED

Coronavirus 3

GreyhoundFan

3 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

I get missing the gym, I miss mine a lot. I get that most of the iron bunnies don't have that level of weights at home, that's why they're at the gym. But there are a lot of options using bodyweight to work out, and sane gyms would be doing online classes or working out how to engage members in various ways. No idea what the Californian rules on groups are, but could they organise socially distanced small group training outside or something? It's not like San Diego has freezing weather right now (or ever...)

Many gyms have moved into their parking lots and also have small groups outside.  Many of the cities and the county are giving liberal permits for operations in parks.  They chose to violate the health order so deserve to live with the consequences.  It isn't like they didn't know.  It gets so frustrating.  At least enough people are complying that the cases are dropping.  They haven't dropped enough yet, but half is much better than it was.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

They chose to violate the health order so deserve to live with the consequences.  It isn't like they didn't know. 

Oh I have zero sympathy for them. Gyms were among the first things shut here, and the last to reopen - and the first to shut again. Personal training we had a limit of 2 people plus trainer, from tomorrow that is also banned. Seriously - people doing stuff like this is the reason we're in a high level of lockdown here, and why things keep being extended. Shut down, use social media to keep your members engaged and working out (my club is in an intra club challenge at the moment, despite being able to do one hour of outside exercise per day - and we are killing it) and we can hopefully get back to a level of the previous normal. Sheesh.

• Upvote 6

21 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

I wish I could remember how to look up an article I read within the last week. It talks about why people are having such a tough time with COVID rules. Basically, had this struck 40 years ago, we'd still have people in power who had lived through polio epidemics and measles quarantines, so they could have set the standard for the country. Fortunately, or unfortunately, we've beaten back so many diseases through vaccination that we has a country have forgotten the fear that our loved ones would catch something that could kill them or permanently damage their health. (Fortunate because we have the vaccinations, unfortunate because we don't know how to handle an outbreak.)

I bet some of these same anti-maskers in their 50's and older were the same ones who refused to use condoms in the 80's and 90's, when HIV was the scary disease with no cure.

As I’ve mentioned before, my grandmother was a polio survivor who has only been gone since 2001.  I saw its effects firsthand.

• Upvote 6

Since the ABA meeting is all virtual this year I took the opportunity to sign up for it and watch the proceedings and participate in some stuff as well mainly have to do with young/new lawyers.

I've been having the House of Delegates session on in my office for the past couple days and I'm waiting for someone to do a Jar Jar like slip up and say Dellow Felegates.

• Upvote 3
  • Move Along 1

On 8/3/2020 at 9:46 AM, Smash! said:

[mention]Audrey2 [/mention] 1000 times this. My mom told me she will never forget how happy her dad looked when he took her and her brother to a mass vaccination site where they could get the newly developed vaccination against a children’s disease (it was either polio or measles).
There‘s the collective experience of a whole generation(s) who grew up without losing a loved one either from a disease or war with cancer and other deadly diseases being a tragical exception.

I'm 48 and I graduated with at least two people whose dads had polio. One of them had an aunt who had polio along with her dad. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

Hubs now does his bootcamp via Zoom three mornings a week at 6 am in the garage. The instructor can see participants as a mosaic and can mention and encourage everyone by name. Everyone signed on can see him.  It works well.

Russia is rolling out a vaccine with very little prior testing. I guess a bazillion Russian citizens are now the test group.  

I looked up options to be a vaccine test subject, but the closest place people are being enrolled is Dallas, so too far away. 

I honestly don't know how this will end.  How many dead, how many permanently damaged/disabled by this shit virus. 

Twitter this morning:  grandparents raising their two granddaughters will absolutely not allow them to attend school.  If the girls got coronavirus, brought it home and the grandparents died, there is absolutely no one left to raise the two girls.  That's where are as a country. 

My SiL, an overweight type 2 diabetic in her late 70s, "Hey, we're still planning on going to Vegas at the end of the month!" 

I hope, I really hope they'll change their minds.  

• Upvote 7
  • Love 6

Sadly, my brother let me know that Mike DeWine, the Republican Governor of Ohio has tested positive. As much as I wasn't a fan of his until Covid (I've known about him in politics for about 30 years), I think he did an Excellent job in the early stages of Corona.

He was tested because Trump was coming to Ohio and they were going to meet. My brother's theory is that he tested positive on purpose, much like a child holding a thermometer up to a light bulb so they would have a 'fever' and could miss school. (i know my age is showing there.)

Here's a story from the Cleveland Plain Dealer. As usual, there is more; I just condensed it.

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine tests positive for coronavirus

https://www.cleveland.com/open/2020/08/ohio-gov-mike-dewine-tests-positive-for-coronavirus.html

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine announced Thursday he has tested positive for COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus.

DeWine was tested Thursday as part of a standard protocol as he prepared to greet President Donald Trump at the tarmac in at Burke Lakefront Airport in Cleveland, according to a news release issued Thursday afternoon by the governor’s office.

DeWine has no symptoms, and is returning to Columbus where he will be tested again, as will Ohio First Lady Fran DeWine, the governor’s office said. He then will head to his home in Cedarville where he plans to self-quarantine for 14 days.

DeWine is 73, which places him a higher-risk category for coronavirus patients. He also has a history of respiratory issues. He hospitalized for six days in 2000, while a member of a the U.S. Senate, while he was treated for asthma. He’s had the respiratory condition since he was 25 years old, and receives medication through inhalers, the Toledo Blade reported at the time.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 4

I don't think kids should be going back to school just yet. But today I realized a benefit if they do: proper mask wearing. I went to Target today, and saw several kids (from different families) with their masks either covering mouths only or pushed down around their chins. I don't really feel it's my place to correct all those kids (and don't want to be captured in a confrontation on someone's cell phone), and I think a tutorial would have more impact coming from a teacher than some random lady at the store.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, JMarie said:

I don't think kids should be going back to school just yet. But today I realized a benefit if they do: proper mask wearing. I went to Target today, and saw several kids (from different families) with their masks either covering mouths only or pushed down around their chins. I don't really feel it's my place to correct all those kids (and don't want to be captured in a confrontation on someone's cell phone), and I think a tutorial would have more impact coming from a teacher than some random lady at the store.

This is what I expect to happen:

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

We're in stage 4 lockdown still, with a curfew and a limit of one hour for exercise per day. Meanwhile Murdoch's flying monkeys are doing their utmost to politicize the situation so they can push for a change of state government at the next election. Even so I was really not prepared for this level of utter WTAF from Andrew Bolt.

Spoiler

116644240_748681059032451_4297124828401587309_n.jpg.0ed9624464c344717361fcf84cf853b1.jpg

Like seriously, does he think aged care facilities operate in total independence from the rest of society? That workers in aged care facilities don't shop, have families, etc etc? That their deliveries arrive magically with no drivers involved? 

I am really truly hoping this is a hoax because if it's not... well the neo-cons here just said the unspoken part out loud - they don't care who dies as long as they make money.

(Also Murdoch is 89. Statistically he'll be dead shortly... so we should not give him a ventilator, right?)

(And also do not get me started on Rita Panahi and her "stage 4 lockdown is the most oppressed I've been since I left Tehran" bullshit. She knows it's bullshit, we know it's bullshit - but if she can sucker in one more person to a false sense of oppression to vote for Murdoch she'll think it's worthwhile.)

(And more also - we seriously have an anti-mask protest going ahead here on the weekend. FFS.)

Edited by Ozlsn
  • Disgust 2
  • Sad 7
  • WTF 3

On 8/3/2020 at 7:12 PM, Smee said:

Thinking of you @Ozlsn, many friends in Melbourne are struggling mentally/emotionally and I hope you’re ok.

I'm... variable to be honest. The further restrictions didn't change that much for me in that I was already WFH and not really going out much. Child being home and only one hour exercise are the main differences, although child has also been sick (respiratory, non-covid) which has made life more complicated. I find that my mood is very linked to the numbers - and I am much more likely to crave chocolate on high number days. Unsurprisingly I am stacking on weight like I am expecting a post-nuclear winter and want to be prepared. 

Redundancies have been announced where I am working, which surprised no one but has contributed to the general stress levels. 

Mostly, like almost everyone, I am really hoping we can control this and return to something approaching the previous normal. Antarctica deciding to send us Weather this week hadn't helped that much either, although at least we all want to stay inside more! At this point I will not be surprised if it snows in the CBD, the year is all over the place.  

• Love 10

So the student who posted a picture of a crowded hallway has been suspended. I love her reply.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 6

School administrations with a bit too much time on their hands.

The Springfield School District has been getting a fair amount of flak from parents over a dress code for remote learning.

In particular, the handbook says students should not wear pajamas during online sessions.

“I think they have enough to worry about as opposed to what the kids are wearing. They need to make sure they’re getting educated,” parent Elizabeth Ballinger tells WCIA-TV.

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, 47of74 said:

School administrations with a bit too much time on their hands.

I kind of understand the schools wanting kids out of their pajamas. Working from home, I always make sure to get up and get dressed, even if it is just workout clothes or some other "comfy" clothes. It is a mental thing for me, but getting dressed is a signal to my brain that it's time to start the day. If I stayed in my pajamas, it would take me a lot longer to be focused on the work day. It's the same reason that I set up a specific work area downstairs instead of having my computer in or near my bedroom. I need that mental switch flip from home/bed/sleep to "work". 

I think it might help the learning process to have that routine of still getting up and getting ready for the day. 

Edited by OHFL2009
  • Upvote 6
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

So the student who posted a picture of a crowded hallway has been suspended. I love her reply.

I would be proud of her if that were my daughter. Education is very important to me, and everyone who knows me knows that I'm a rule follower, but I would support her in her suspension.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 2

My kids are grown and the schools here are going 100% virtual in the Fall, so can anyone tell me what the full plans are for In-person schools for when outbreaks occur? Will schools just open and close and open and close?  If so, isn’t that more disruptive for both the kids and working parents?  How does any school district or family truly prepare for that scenario?

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

My kids are grown and the schools here are going 100% virtual in the Fall, so can anyone tell me what the full plans are for In-person schools for when outbreaks occur? Will schools just open and close and open and close?  If so, isn’t that more disruptive for both the kids and working parents?  How does any school district or family truly prepare for scenario?

The districts I have looked at say that they will follow the guidance of the county health department. Not all county health departments have released their guidelines yet. I think this is going to be a nightmare.

I am a teacher in a district allowing in person learning and I am dreading exposing myself. I still have no idea what I am teaching and school begins the week before Labor Day. Scheduling is a challenge due to parents having the option to choose between remote learning and in person leaning. I also think a significant number of parents will pull their kids out to homeschool their kids themselves.

For many of the reasons you stated above, some districts in my area are deciding to start fully virtual. Significant budget cuts have led to teacher lay offs and larger class sizes. Many classrooms are not large enough for social distancing. There will likely be a shortage of subs this school year. What happens if a teacher gets sick and has to be for for a few weeks?

I feel for the working parents who are just trying to survive. This decision has to be weighing on superintendents and school boards across the country. 

I have seen so much teacher hate recently. People assume teachers will not be working if it is remote learning. Some are demanding to get their tax dollars back of the buildings are not open. There is also the theory that teachers just read from a script and indoctrinate their students. 

We decided that my daughter will be beginning the school year with remote learning. Most districts in my area will allow you to switch after the first quarter or in the middle of the year. I can't see things changing enough for her to go back to in person this year, but it is nice to know it is an option.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

So far here in Dubuque they seem to be leaning towards a hybrid model.  I think I mentioned this earlier but Waukee has told #CovidKim to go fuck herself along with a few other districts.

Meanwhile here in Dubuque after the mask mandate.

117107727_2238592322954278_2852852320713997032_n.thumb.jpg.8118e3141f475ce49a2abca4a07a3edb.jpg

It's now up to about 1,600 people now.  I blocked the one person who was in my friends group.  The group had a post up calling a guy who spoke up in favor of masks a pedophile.  Knowing Fuckerberg that will probably be allowed to stay up forever. 

Makes me fucking sick and angry.  Not only this but they're using Iwo Jima for their own pro fuck face agenda.  Gives me even more motivation to move. 

Edited by 47of74
  • Upvote 3
  • Disgust 3
  • WTF 1

2 hours ago, Ali said:

The districts I have looked at say that they will follow the guidance of the county health department. Not all county health departments have released their guidelines yet. I think this is going to be a nightmare.

I am a teacher in a district allowing in person learning and I am dreading exposing myself. I still have no idea what I am teaching and school begins the week before Labor Day. Scheduling is a challenge due to parents having the option to choose between remote learning and in person leaning. I also think a significant number of parents will pull their kids out to homeschool their kids themselves.

For many of the reasons you stated above, some districts in my area are deciding to start fully virtual. Significant budget cuts have led to teacher lay offs and larger class sizes. Many classrooms are not large enough for social distancing. There will likely be a shortage of subs this school year. What happens if a teacher gets sick and has to be for for a few weeks?

I feel for the working parents who are just trying to survive. This decision has to be weighing on superintendents and school boards across the country. 

I have seen so much teacher hate recently. People assume teachers will not be working if it is remote learning. Some are demanding to get their tax dollars back of the buildings are not open. There is also the theory that teachers just read from a script and indoctrinate their students. 

We decided that my daughter will be beginning the school year with remote learning. Most districts in my area will allow you to switch after the first quarter or in the middle of the year. I can't see things changing enough for her to go back to in person this year, but it is nice to know it is an option.

I have mentioned this before, my daughter is a Secondary school principal. She resigned her position during the summer, but the district preferred to put her on a sabbatical leave for the time being. She has also taken her now first grader out of school and will be homeschooling this year. She has agreed to help with the back to school activities and planning, and so far it has been a nightmare. They will have a hybrid program. Schools are a mess all around.

• Upvote 6

Someone posted this on a local pro-mask group;

I'm sorely tempted to make my own considerately more obscene version highlighting Chronic Pathological Fuckstickness as a reason not to wear a mask and ask those suffering from that condition to: (a) stay the fuck home; (b) unfriend and block me on social media; (c) stay the fuck away from me; and (d) go fuck themselves.  In that order too. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, SassyPants said:

My kids are grown and the schools here are going 100% virtual in the Fall, so can anyone tell me what the full plans are for In-person schools for when outbreaks occur? Will schools just open and close and open and close?  If so, isn’t that more disruptive for both the kids and working parents?  How does any school district or family truly prepare for that scenario?

What happened here before we locked down again was pretty much that - you'd have a positive case in a school, and that school would shut for cleaning and contact tracing. Even when we only had year 11 and 12 going, (along with small numbers of kids with additional needs or whose parents were essential workers) you still had schools closing due to cases, and of course having some kids home and some kids at school was more disruptive to families again. 

9 hours ago, Ali said:

have seen so much teacher hate recently. People assume teachers will not be working if it is remote learning. Some are demanding to get their tax dollars back of the buildings are not open. There is also the theory that teachers just read from a script and indoctrinate their students. 

This pisses me off so much. There are things that frustrate me about my child's school's transition to remote learning, but I do know that at least part of it is them working out how to deliver content across a wide range of abilities and learning areas to families with differing access to technology, some of whom are ESL, some who are working full time or part time, and who all have varying expectations. The buildings are the least of it.

As to "I want my tax dollars back" - could these people trying growing the hell up? 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

What happened here before we locked down again was pretty much that - you'd have a positive case in a school, and that school would shut for cleaning and contact tracing. Even when we only had year 11 and 12 going, (along with small numbers of kids with additional needs or whose parents were essential workers) you still had schools closing due to cases, and of course having some kids home and some kids at school was more disruptive to families again. 

This pisses me off so much. There are things that frustrate me about my child's school's transition to remote learning, but I do know that at least part of it is them working out how to deliver content across a wide range of abilities and learning areas to families with differing access to technology, some of whom are ESL, some who are working full time or part time, and who all have varying expectations. The buildings are the least of it.

As to "I want my tax dollars back" - could these people trying growing the hell up? 

These anti-mask fucksticks only like public employees who keep women, minorities, and anyone to the left of Himler in what said fucksticks consider to be their place.  Or kill those who don't and claim they were afeared for their lives.

But when it comes to public employees who work to improve society - like teachers, public works employees, or health/science experts - they sing a very different tune.

I have a suggestion for the people wanting their tax dollars back but I'm pretty sure aside from being decidedly less than family friendly it's also not anatomically possible.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

Gee, who would have thought that cramming all those people into a school would result in a spread of Covid? /sarcasm

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 3

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic