IGNORED

Coronavirus 3

GreyhoundFan

Continued from here:

Australia has hit 100 deaths from covid-19, with the passing of 93 year old Alice Bacon who was the 19th death in the Newmarch House nursing home cluster in Sydney. Overall we are doing OK - there were nine new positives in the 24 hours to 3pm yesterday, and we are back under 1.0 for R number (not by much though, and that may change with the slowly loosening restrictions.)  Only Vic and NSW reported new cases - the seven in Vic are all linked to either the Cedar Meats or the McDonald's cluster, which has now caused 12 restaurants to be closed for deep cleaning after a delivery driver tested positive. The impact of schools reopening to different extents in both states next week will be interesting to see. All the states who shut borders haven't reopened them yet, and I finally cancelled my QLD holiday, not least because their borders are still shut! Hoping we can keep the numbers low and transition to a new variation of normal... whatever that ends up being.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

Mirabai twice thought she was clear of covid. Then she tested positive a third time.

Spoiler

Mirabai Nicholson-McKellar felt the first effects of COVID-19 more than two months ago.

She developed symptoms in mid-March after returning from Germany.

"I had a mild dry cough but I also had shortness of breath," she told 7.30.

She tested positive for COVID-19.

Given the all clear

The 35-year-old Byron Bay filmmaker thought she had recovered and on April 25 she received a letter from NSW Health.

She had gone 72 hours without symptoms and was free to leave isolation.

"It was very exciting," she said.

"I got to leave the house for the first time in several weeks, and I actually went down to the ocean and had a swim.

"I was fatigued and exhausted, but very excited."

But three days later, six weeks after the first symptoms, she relapsed and ended up in hospital.

"I had the onset of quite severe chest pain and tightness again," she said.

"They took another swab test and I tested positive.

"The second positive test was quite disappointing.

"I'm alone, I'm in pain, my chest hurts. I've never had this sensation before; fatigue and brain fog and I just want to rest all day.

"The symptoms, the way they kind of come and go and shift and change, it kind of sends you a bit loopy, like really, is this happening?"

According to data collected by NSW Health, 95 per cent of all COVID-19 cases recovered after six weeks.

Its guidelines state that a patient is considered recovered and free to leave isolation after 72 hours without symptoms.

NSW Health told 7.30 that if a patient tests positive 60 days after being diagnosed, it is possible they are still infectious and, in those cases, it is recommended they remain in isolation.

"One of the most challenging things about this illness, apart from its severity and length, is that there's so much that we don't know about it and so it's a really vulnerable place to be," Ms Nicholson-McKellar said.

On Monday, day 68 since her original diagnosis, Ms Nicholson-McKellar again tested positive for COVID-19.

"The medical advice that I've received during this period has been not so consistent. It's been very vague. And a lot of the times, 'we don't know' is what they say," she said.

"It's really such a struggle, with so much unknown and people and doctors and the health profession not being able to answer these questions of when will I recover? When am I going to stop being contagious? Am I still contagious?

"They don't even know that and I don't know that and it's really challenging."

After weeks of isolation and feeling mentally on her own, Ms Nicholson-McKellar joined Body Politic COVID Support Group, an international forum for COVID-19 suffers run by Fiona Lowenstein, who has been hospitalised in New York.

"I can't tell you how incredibly important that was for me to not feel alone," she said.

"It just feels like it's been this crazy roller-coaster.

"To hear and share my experience and hear other people's experiences has been so incredibly supportive."

After more than two months in isolation, she just wants her ordeal to end.

"I just want to be better," she said. "I just want it to be over."

• Thank You 6

Quick question 

Is it my responsibility to ask a warden if they are going to install a piece of plexi glass in front of my desk to deal with the public? 

edit: because they are having a meeting friday - I asked ! 

Edited by nst
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 1

CDC update - does not spread easily through touching contaminated surfaces

Spoiler

• Thank You 10

Good gravy:

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 7

This is good to read:

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

Went grocery shopping today.  TP, tissues, and paper towels are slowly making a comeback and the limit on bread products has been raised to 4, although hand soap is still slim pickin’s.

Edited by smittykins
  • Upvote 9

1 hour ago, smittykins said:

Went grocery shopping today.  TP, tissues, and paper towels are slowly making a comeback and the limit on bread products has been raised to 4, although hand soap is still slim pickin’s.

I'm just hoping for whole wheat flour.

No, really. I can find all-purpose, though not consistently, but whole wheat is apparently impossible.

Though I wouldn't mind rice. Or consistent pasta...

• I Agree 2

5 minutes ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

Though I wouldn't mind rice. Or consistent pasta...

I wanted a small box of rice when I went to the store last week, since my husband doesn't really eat it. Instead I ended up with a 5 lb bag that will probably last me 5 years. At least it doesn't go bad. 

• Love 1

Wednesday's update:

• Greece wants to restart the tourism season on June 15, prime minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis announced in a televised speech today. "The tourism period will start on June 15," Mitsotakis said, "and the seasonal hotels can open again. It is an important stimulant for the economy." He added that international flights will gradually be resumed on Juli 1.
  • The number of Dutch corona patients in the ICU has been reduced to a total number of 275.
    There were 14 new hospitalisations. However, the the total number of current hospitalisations went down by 11 to 922. The total number of hospitalisations overall is now 11.627.
    There were 33 corona related deaths, bringing the total number of deaths up to 5748.
    The reproduction rate is wavering between 0.7 and 1. 
    More than 300.000 people in the Netherlands have been tested, of which 15.7% were positive. The percentage of positive tests is going down though; at the moment only 5% of tests are positive.
  • Spain has mandated wearing face masks in public places for everyone older than six. Exceptions will be made for people who can't wear masks due to health issues. The measure will remain in place as long as the state of emergency continues. It's unclear when the state of emergency will be lifted, but Spanish media are reporting it might be on June 7. Prime minister Pedro Sánchez is easing restrictions, but he hopes to be able to keep the state of emergency until the end of June. However, there does not seem to be a majority in Spanish parliament who would agree to a two week prolongation after June 7.
  • Brazil's president, Jair Bolsonaro, has announced guidelines on the use of chloroquine as a treatment against the corona virus. The minister of Public Health recently resigned because he refused to sign these guidelines.
    There were 1179 corona related deaths in Brazil, bringing the total number of official deaths up to 17.971.
    There were 17.408 new confirmed corona cases, bringing the total number of cases up to 270.000. 
  • The borders between the US and Canada and Mexico will remain closed to travellers without an essential reason. Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau announced that travel in both directions will remain restricted to commercial travel or people with urgent reasons over the next 30 days. The Mexican government has also confirmed this measure.
  • Face masks are rather problematic for deaf people who depend on lip reading in public. A French organisation for the deaf has found a solution for this problem: a face mask with a see through 'window', through which a person's mouth can be seen. The plastic part is removable and users can wash it with soap, which helps with condensation.
    image.png.3826543c2757b5fa01d40ec69bfaaade.png

• Schools in South Korea have reopened. Schools have been fumigated to disinfect them. Student's temperatures are taken, and their hands are squirted with disinfectant before entering.
  • For the first time ever, there has been a direct flight between the United Arab Emirates and Israel. The two countries do not have diplomatic ties with each other. Etihad Airways flew from Abu Dhabi to Tel Aviv with a cargo of PPE and medical equipment for the Palestinian Territories. Until now such flights had to make a stopover in another country first. 
    There were no passengers on board, only 15 tonnes of PPE, ventilators and other medical equipment. The cargo is from a UN storage in the United Arab Emirates, and is meant to aid Palestinians in their battle against the virus. Official reporting states there are 340 confirmed cases in the Palestinian Territories, and two corona related deaths. 

Personal news:

Today I finally received the invitation for the second interview for the new job I've applied for. After the first Skype interview on April 7, I will now be going to meet them in person on June 3. The secretary calling me to make the appointment made a point to assure me that she had booked a large room so that we can properly keep our social distance. This is going to be yet another novel experience.
I'm still debating whether to travel by public transport (will the corona measures work?) or to ask DH to drive me there and pick me up afterwards (it's in Amsterdam, so parking is hella expensive -- and that's on the off chance you manage to find a spot).

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 12
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, fraurosena said:

For the first time ever, there has been a direct flight between the United Arab Emirates and Israel

Well that's a positive I wasn't expecting. I am very glad the PPE got through.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

Bastards  - whether this was a hate crime, an asshole crime, or an insurance fraud crime - it stinks for everyone on both sides of the argument about staying home from church.

https://www.wlbt.com/2020/05/20/mississippi-church-destroyed-by-arson-was-suing-city-holly-springs-over-safer-at-home-order/

A Mississippi church at the center of an arson investigation is the same church currently in a battle with city leaders over a COVID-19 safer-at-home order.

First Pentecostal Church in Holly Springs was destroyed by what investigators believe is an arsonist.

Investigators found graffiti on pavement in the church parking lot that reads, “Bet you stay home now you hypokrits (sic)."

• Sad 1
  • WTF 5

5 minutes ago, clueliss said:

SARS antibody may neutralize COVID19

Interesting. Wonder if MERS antibodies also work. Not that there are a huge number of survivors from either, but might give an insight into what antigen is being presented.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

Tyson now has a processing plant issue in North Carolina - 570 employees

• Thank You 3

Kirksville, MO has an issue at a Kraft/Heinz bologna plant - with an ambiguous "handful" as the number (total employee count of 900)

Spoiler

Oh and The Lake of the Ozarks will be open for Memorial Day weekend - meaning allll the folks from KC and STL can come on down (and bring virus with them)

• Thank You 4

Ascension Day update.

• There were 13 new hospitalisations in the Netherlands, but the current number of hospitalised corona patients went down by 20, so there is now a total of 911 hospitalised corona patients. The overall total number of corona hospitalisations is 11.640.
    There are 20 less corona patients being treated in the ICU's, bringing the total number of ICU corona patients down to 255.
    There were 27 corona related deaths, bringing the total number of deaths up to 5775.
    There is a total number of 44.700 confirmed cases. 
    Because of the extraordinary lovely weather on a public holiday, there were a lot of covidiots out and about in parks and on the beaches. One park in Amsterdam had to be evacuated by police because it was much too busy. Many beach entries were also closed because of the large amount of people wanting to spend the day by the sea.
  • There were an additional 2.4 million Americans requesting unemployment aid last week. The total number of people that have lost their jobs due to the corona crisis is now almost 39 million. Fed director Jerome Powell recently warned that unemployment levels could reach peaks of 20 to 25%, levels that haven't been seen since the 1930s.
    The Department of Labor's reports do not represent a complete picture, as not all Americans who lose their jobs are eligible for unemployment aid. Many others that are eligible can't reach the aid organisations because they are being overwhelmed by requests.
    Aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt has set sail again, after being berthed near Guam for 8 weeks after a corona virus outbreak on board. The outbreak lead to the firing of Captain Crozier and Secretary Modley. Since the end of March more than 1000 of the 4800 crew tested positive. One of them has died. 
    A lot of corona measures have been taken. The ship has been  thoroughly disinfected and crew members are wearing face masks. 
    Trump is railing against China again, this time accusing them of spreading disinformation because China wants Biden to win the elections:
    There is a total number of 1.551.853 confirmed cases in the US. The total number of corona related deaths now stands at 93.439.
  • There were 8849 new confirmed cases in Russia, bringing the total number of cases up to 317.000. Russian authorities have reported 127 new corona related deaths, so that the official number of deaths in Russia has surpassed 3000; a relatively low number in comparison to the total number of confirmed cases.
  • British scientists have begun a large international research into the effectiveness of two anti malaria drugs against Covid19, in an attempt to find out if they can prevent infections.
    40.000 healthcare workers from Europe, Asia, Africa and South America will receive chloroquine, hydroxycloroquine or a placebo, under the condition that they are in contact with Covid19 patients and they haven't been infected yet.
    "We really don't know if chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine are effective or damaging," one of the researchers, Nicholas White from Oxford University said. One of his colleagues from the Brighton and Sussex Medical School said that a vaccine is still a long way off. "If approved drugs such as chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine could reduce the chance of infection with Covid19, that would be immeasurably valuable."
    The research's results will be made public by the end of this year.
  • If it turns out the Olympics in Tokyo can't be held next year, they will be cancelled altogether, said IOC Chair Thomas Bach. 
    Earlier the Olympics, which were to be held this summer, were postponed to next year. However, health authorities in Japan are pessimistic about the chances that the 32nd editor of the Games can be organised in 2021. Japanese prime minister Shinzo Abe recently said the Games can only be held if the corona virus is under control. 
    Bach understands this viewpoint, but further postponement to 2022 is out of the question. "You can't change the calendars of all large sport federations every year," he said. Additionally, he emphasised the importance of clarity for athletes on the matter.
  • Jordan is to observe a three day comprehensive curfew from Thursday midnight to Sunday midnight, when citizens will not be allowed to leave their homes at all, Minister of State for Media Affairs, Amjad Adaleh has announced. He said the decision cam I light of epidemiological developments in the Kingdom, as the number of infections increased significantly during the past days. The decision was further prompted by the need to increase the efforts of the epidemiological inspection teams and the need to limit meetings and contact between individuals and take the necessary measures to achieve physical distancing, he said. An exception will be made for medical personnel, people doing contact research and a number of workers at vital organisations. 
  • In a slaughterhouse in Bretagne, France, 109 employees have been infected with the corona virus. 818 people were tested after an infection had been confirmed. The infected employees have been put into quarantine, and contact research is being done.
    A slaughterhouse in Groenlo, the Netherlands, also found 45 of 212 tested employees were infected. Germany also has found that meat processing plants are epicentres of corona infections. In the US about 1 in 5 employees in the meat processing industry has been infected.
  • Police in South Korea have arrested a 23 year old Japanese man for ignoring the quarantine regulations. The young man tested negative upon arrival at the airport and decided he wouldn't go into the mandatory 14 day quarantine. Images from security camera's and financial statements showed that he was out and about on 8 of the 14 days, and that he visited restaurants and cafes during that time. He has been incarcerated and will have to appear before a judge. It's unknown what type of sentencing awaits him.
  • The total number of confirmed cases worldwide has surpassed 5 million. At the moment the number of Latin American cases in particular is on the rise. Of the total number of new cases reported earlier this week, about a third is from South America, whereby the continent has passed Europe and the US, who both reported about 20% of new cases.
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 11

My favorite rice is back in stock - in 20 pound bags.  I'm used to buying 5 to 10 pounds at a time so it isn't that big of a jump.  At least it isn't only in 50 pounds bags.  It used to be only available at restaurant supply stores so my first time buying it was a 20 pound bag and I had to go to three stores to get one that small.  

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

My local Target is almost fully stocked again with toilet paper as they have a strict limit of one package per customer, plus they have plenty of hand sanitizer and even disposable masks. As they've been remodeling the grocery section, they even have toilet paper and other things on pallets. Because of the remodeling, there have been a couple of times when I had to ask someone restocking where something was as things have been moved around.

Personally, I was told this week over the phone that we will most likely go back to work on July 1st, which is right around the time for LA County to allow more things to reopen, on the 4th. I'm relatively low risk at work as we will have masks, and most people will still be working from home for the foreseeable future. I also don't work with the general public, so I don't have to worry about selfish Covidiots who refuse to wear a mask.

• Upvote 8

16 minutes ago, Smee said:

The only thing still hard to get here is flour and yeast. Everyone is baking bread, apparently.

I am constantly amazed to find it's still out, particularly SR flour. I like baking, but I'm also within walking distance of two bakeries, so I tend to just do that. 

Flour is finally fully available again over here. It was the last thing that was still out of stock; everything else is back on the shelves again. The only thing they run out of quickly are disinfectant wipes, and as I use them a lot, I‘m keeping an eye on those shelves and always buy some even if I haven’t run out yet.

• Upvote 1

Baked beans, toilet paper still, pasta and rice are out again at the local supermarket. I am seriously starting to wonder about people's cooking skills here (not with the toilet paper, no.)

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic