IGNORED

Coronavirus 3

GreyhoundFan

On 7/22/2020 at 4:29 PM, clueliss said:

Finally - the University of Missouri won't be telling Professors if students in their classes test postive.  

Insanity. 

• I Agree 7

This last few posts just made me WTF.
Re Fauci: This is so insane! He was in one of the recent episodes of „This Week in Virology“ podcast and I was deeply impressed by him. He clearly knows what he‘s talking about, is articulate and nuanced. You can feel how much he cares about the people. I don’t know why he‘s still part of this administration who now tries to destroy him. Why doesn’t he leave?

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Smash! said:

I don’t know why he‘s still part of this administration who now tries to destroy him. Why doesn’t he leave?

He's a civil service employee, not appointed, so he's safe from being fired. He loves his job, which is inseparable from his life's work. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 3

I wanted to add in one more thing related to Hurricane Hanna. People are evacuating from Corpus Christi (Coronavirus hotspot) and all along that part of the Texas coast.  The usual scenario is that evacuation centers are set up in gymnasiums and similar settings further inland. What would have been a place of refuge in the past is now the perfect scenario for the spread of coronavirus. 

• Sad 7
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

Sinclair caught hell from numerous people and will not be showing this week's episode of America This Week.

Spoiler

image.png.d2c54fe53d94112566b47c2a7d8c2538.png

image.png.77e866b2b0f025de9e59f22f6258c362.png

Sinclair: We didn't believe in the bullshit, we just wanted to spread it everywhere. :wanker:

FYI, the host of America This Week is Eric Bolling. He used to be on Faux until allegations arose that he sent unwanted dick pics and lewd text messages to some of his female coworkers, and then Bolling and Faux came to a "mutual decision" that he should work elsewhere. :pb_rollseyes:

• Upvote 9

9 hours ago, Smash! said:

This last few posts just made me WTF.
Re Fauci: This is so insane! He was in one of the recent episodes of „This Week in Virology“ podcast and I was deeply impressed by him. He clearly knows what he‘s talking about, is articulate and nuanced. You can feel how much he cares about the people. I don’t know why he‘s still part of this administration who now tries to destroy him. Why doesn’t he leave?

I suspect a sense of duty as much as a love of the field. I doubt he loves his job that much at the moment, but I think he feels that as the person with the expertise and the contacts he should stay in place and try to get as much information and help out as he can (while having Trump tied around his neck like a millstone). Leaving would also cascade a heap of shit downhill, and he quite probably is effectively shielding people so they can get stuff done with less interference - if he goes their jobs become immeasurably more difficult. 

Of all the things about this administration's mismanagement of the pandemic it's the treatment of Fauci and the disembowelling of institutions like the CDC that make me the most angry and upset - because they could, with appropriate support, have made such a difference to how this went. If any of the enablers in government had had the guts to say that the Emperor has no clothes and is unfit to lead the number of deaths and cases could have been much lower. I hope they all are voted out - and investigated.

Edited by Ozlsn
hit enter too early, thought not finished.
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 3

Covid has hit my extended family.  The special needs adult son of a cousin lives in a care facility.  He has tested positive after being taken to the ER.  He’s in ICU and per last report not doing well.  In oxygen, has been given plasma med. my cousin and her husband in quarantine because they took him on a trip for orthotics while he had a cough.  

And since I’m posting in FJ, I’m going to rant that they live in a Kansas county that opted OUT of the governor’s mandatory mask requirement.  A move allowed by the idiot state AG.  

• Sad 10
  • Love 9

And he has passed.  This makes me so sad.  His sister is a nurse and could be with him.  But this is so awful.  

• Sad 8
  • Love 22

10 hours ago, clueliss said:

And he has passed.  This makes me so sad.  His sister is a nurse and could be with him.  But this is so awful.  

I am so sorry @clueliss. My thoughts are with you and your family. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 5

City offices here just rolled back to Phase 1 because someone in the offices tested positive.  But, you know, just go ahead and start schools and the colleges.  (I'm going to be a bitter bitch about this crap because of my cousin's son, they don't live here but it's still infuriating)

• Upvote 10

"Trump national security adviser O’Brien tests positive for coronavirus, the highest-ranking administration official known to be infected"

Spoiler

Robert C. O’Brien, President Trump’s national security adviser, has tested positive for the coronavirus, the White House said Monday.

O’Brien is the highest-ranking Trump administration official known to have tested positive for the virus.

“He has mild symptoms and has been self-isolating and working from a secure location off site,” the White House said in a statement. “There is no risk of exposure to the President or the Vice President. The work of the National Security Council continues uninterrupted.”

O’Brien is in frequent contact with President Trump, although it was not immediately clear how recently the two had been in proximity. They appeared publicly together during a visit to the U.S. Southern Command in Florida on July 10.

One of Trump’s military valets and Vice President Pence’s press secretary previously tested positive for the virus.

O’Brien, who was appointed to his role in September 2019, was named to the White House coronavirus task force when it was launched in January.

O’Brien’s positive test was first reported by Bloomberg News.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4

21 minutes ago, smittykins said:

One of my favorite summer activities is sitting on our back deck listening to Seattle Mariners baseball games.  We watched the opener against the Houston Astros, and it was so different with the stadium empty (there were some cardboard cutouts of spectators in some of the stands).  The commentators broadcast from back home in Seattle instead of traveling on the road.  With few masks in sight, it's just a matter of time before the team members are exposed to Covid.  I'll enjoy it while it lasts. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

And now the Yankees-Phillies game at Citizen’s Bank Park tonight has been postponed(their words), because the Marlins were in Philly over the weekend.

• Upvote 1

I sponsor 2 girls via Compassion International.  They've been sending sponsors updates about the state of things in the countries our kids live in.  The copy of the update below details Bolivia and Tanzania.

While Latin America is home to just 8% of the world’s global population, it is now suffering half the world’s new coronavirus deaths.

Food shortages, supply chain challenges, rising food prices and loss of income due to COVID-19 restrictions mean that millions across Africa are facing food insecurity.

The pandemic is unraveling decades of progress in health, education and other advances for children in South Asia, pushing up to 120 million more children into poverty.

Spoiler

We’re living in a world full of unknowns right now. We don’t know when this pandemic will end or what school and work will look like in the fall. And for many, all of those unknowns make us feel anxious and afraid.

What can bring us peace in the midst of the unknowns? For me, it’s been prayer. Because what I do know is that we serve a God who hears our prayers and who is not surprised by what is happening right now.

The world needs our prayers right now. Each region Compassion serves in is dealing with the grief the pandemic is bringing to its people ...

While Latin America is home to just 8% of the world’s global population, it is now suffering half the world’s new coronavirus deaths.

Food shortages, supply chain challenges, rising food prices and loss of income due to COVID-19 restrictions mean that millions across Africa are facing food insecurity.

The pandemic is unraveling decades of progress in health, education and other advances for children in South Asia, pushing up to 120 million more children into poverty.

Below, you will find updates from the countries where Dorcas and Diana live. Also included are links to more information, including stories, specific prayer requests and a video update.

Bolivia

COVID-19 cases are rapidly rising in Bolivia, more than tripling since the country began reopening economic activities in early June. National quarantine measures are extended through July 31. Group activities at all Compassion child development centers remain on hold. Under the updated government regulations, delivery of food is permitted from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily, so partner churches are working to provide ... – READ MORE

Tanzania

The government of Tanzania is no longer reporting about cases of COVID-19, though they are still testing people who are exhibiting symptoms and treating those who test positive. Given the presumed ongoing community transmission in Dar es Salaam and other locations, the risk of contracting COVID-19 remains high. Group meetings and activities at all Compassion child development centers are on hold. Partner churches continue to provide ... – READ MORE

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

If the Marlins hadn't gotten tested, they wouldn't now have Covid.

That's how it works, right?

:confusion-scratchheadblue:

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 4

Wyandotte County in Metro Kansas City says no school until after labor day.  This probably affects at least 2 public school districts that I can think of off the top of my head.  (this is Kansas City, KS and a few smaller cities - but KCK and Wyandotte County have a unified government)

• Upvote 4

Summarizing pieces I've read on Twitter

St Louis is rolling back (meaning tightening back up on opening up) due to virus surge.

Missouri has a backlog of 6000 tests.

Planet Fitness will begin requiring masks

and this from Kentucky - no bars or indoor dining for you.

• Upvote 3

Re: baseball, and I guess by extension, NFL football - funny how they can get daily testing for all the players and staff, but in my area it takes over a week to get a test appointment if you are asymptomatic, and any testing is taking 10 days to return a result. But millionaire sports, that gets VIP treatment. Yes, I am bitter. 

• I Agree 3
  • Love 1

Team physician and team buys its own instant test equipment.  No, it doesn't seem right, does it?  

• Upvote 4

The University I work for is still planning on opening in the fall (although students have been given the option of taking all online courses and staying home if they wanted/were able to) and we will have a mix of in-person classes, live remote instruction, and on-your-own time remote classes. Any students who come to campus for classes, work, etc., regardless of whether or not they live in a dorm, will be tested for Covid TWICE A WEEK. And apparently the test results will be available in 24 hours of the test. I'm curious/anxious to see how this plays out. Apparently we've partnered with a company who can make this all happen (it will be thousands of students). Faculty and staff, however, will not be required to get tested regularly...

• Upvote 6

14 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Team physician and team buys its own instant test equipment.  No, it doesn't seem right, does it?  

The Marlins testing has a 48 hour turn around as does all of MLB. That’s problematic as they have all played and interacted with teammates while results are pending.  
Per the Athletic, the Marlins crammed into a dugout due to rain last week, completely ignoring social distancing and here we are. Seems like getting wet would have been a wiser option 

• Upvote 6

9 hours ago, therulesofjinx said:

Any students who come to campus for classes, work, etc., regardless of whether or not they live in a dorm, will be tested for Covid TWICE A WEEK. And apparently the test results will be available in 24 hours of the test. I'm curious/anxious to see how this plays out. Apparently we've partnered with a company who can make this all happen (it will be thousands of students). Faculty and staff, however, will not be required to get tested regularly...

I am also curious, that seems like more testing than large parts of the US is managing at the moment. Also curious as to who pays for it - if I were a student, or the parent of a student, this would be a massive incentive for me to do remote learning as I suspect this is where the costs will be passed on to.

The university teaching weeks start again here next week, and pretty much all of it is still remote learning. A friend has just discovered that his primary aged child will be having group online recorder lessons for school on Wednesday afternoon... when he gives a lecture. He is sincerely hoping the times don't clash. I am kind of hoping they do, because... hilarious.

• Upvote 2

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic