IGNORED

Coronavirus 3

GreyhoundFan

Good job.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 3

6 hours ago, Becky said:

Whatever happened to the murder hornets? ?

They'll be back in a later episode. Long term developing storyline. /alienscriptwriter

• Haha 15
  • Love 1

What a mild case of coronavirus can do to a healthy person.

"When I spoke to my doctor the next day, he advised that one version of coronavirus seemed to be doing this — giving people a long running lung infection that could last up to six weeks."

I know, preaching to the choir here but worth sharing if you have family or friends still in the "just a bad flu" crowd - this is what a "just a bad flu" case can look like. 

Meanwhile in NSW Australia people are apparently willing to risk life for free donuts, while Victoria may be looking at a stage 4 shutdown (which no one has quite defined yet) if the numbers stay high/keep rising. 

On the positive side my friend's oxygen requirements are dropping, and hopefully she can be extubated in the next couple of days. Pregnancy scans also good. She is one of 5 cases in ICU aged under 50 (the other 21 cases are over 50). Her partner is hanging in there, but very tired.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 11

In Washington state, we've been under mandatory mask rules for a couple weeks.  Today we observed what happens when someone doesn't wear a mask.

We entered a home improvement store through the garden section.  Everyone was masked except for one young woman who was stopped and asked to leave since she didn't have a mask.  She said, "I just need potting soil.  What am I supposed to do?"  The employee said, "You can wait outside and a manager will be out to inform you of your options."  Excellent.  That is just exactly what is supposed to happen under our state rules and everyone was civil.  We were on a mission to get in and out of the store quickly, so we didn't see what option the young woman chose. 

In other news, my husband learned that friends (a husband and wife) both went through COVID.  The husband had mild symptoms and declares himself safe to be around, since he has antibodies.  His wife, who recently had bypass surgery, really struggled and continues to recover.  It's a really scary disease.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

The Mart of Wal is going to require customers to wear a mask now;

Walmart, the world's largest retailer, is the latest national chain to require all customers to wear masks.

The change will start next week. Starbucks said last week that it will require customers to wear facial coverings or masks in all 9,000 of its company-owned US stores beginning Wednesday. Best Buy announced Tuesday that it will also require all shoppers coming into its approximately 1,000 stores to wear face masks. Costco began requiring its members to wear masks in stores beginning in May.

Although no federal mandate to wear a mask exists, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says everyone "should wear a cloth face cover when they have to go out in public." The CDC said "face coverings are meant to protect other people."

Awaiting the Branch Trumpvidian freak out since this is their preferred store...

LargePopcorn.png.6dbc2f0594de5b6c7c34146d17ad43cd.png

Edited by 47of74
  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 4

Oh good - that's going to annoy people I work with who shop at Walmarts outside of my city.  So go ahead, shop at the other Walmarts but now you have to mask there too!

• Upvote 8

Karma is a bitch:

• Upvote 7

On 7/14/2020 at 10:03 AM, GreyhoundFan said:

I missed the memo that plague squirrels were July 2020.

Aww, man, I love squirrels. 

Unrelated- I worked a half day at my office today (with just one other person). I haven't been there since March 18th. It was very odd, but nice to see all the signage that's been added in preparation for more in-person work to start over the next few weeks (and as we plan to welcome students back to campus this fall)- plenty of Wash Your Hands signs in the restroom, including instructions on how to do it properly; signage everywhere about which stairwells are up or down only, which side of the hallway to walk on, and which doors are exit or entrance only. They're really trying to control the flow of traffic, which is nice, and masks are mandatory on-campus unless you're alone in your office/cubicle. I was there helping with a project to clean out/move furniture so our desks can be more spread out and we can stay 6 ft away from any visitors we may have. My state has maintained a relatively low number of cases, but there has been a minor increase in numbers here and there, and that could all change when students start to return- the population of our "city" about doubles when the college kids are around. The University is doing so much work to make campus safe, but as I watch the news every day it seems more and more likely that we could close again at some point. 

• Upvote 9

While reading an article about my local school district's plans for the upcoming school year, I came across what I think will be the new talking point for Trump supporters as things get worse. The gist of it was:

If you and your children are saved, why are you so worried? Don't you want to leave this evil world and spend eternity in heaven with Jesus?  :shakehead:

• Disgust 4
  • WTF 4

17 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

While reading an article about my local school district's plans for the upcoming school year, I came across what I think will be the new talking point for Trump supporters as things get worse. The gist of it was:

If you and your children are saved, why are you so worried? Don't you want to leave this evil world and spend eternity in heaven with Jesus?  :shakehead:

Bro Gary has been saying it for months. In fact, I think he's been saying it about every possible cause of death for years, including teasing his wife that he was disappointed because she woke him up when he stopped breathing in his sleep, and describing gruesome accidents he could have, within earshot of his children.

Christianity as death cult -- seems backwards to me, but some people lap it up.

• Upvote 3
  • Disgust 2

Kansas governor Laura Kelly is ordering schools to not open until after Labor Day.  

and per the news just now, Oklahoma’s governor tested positive (guess who resisted mask order)

Wait, add Kroger to the masks required in stores nationally list.

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 2

Yeah the kids are just as creative as we were, if not more so. 

In a pandemic, no one knows you’re underage.

That’s what Gen Z has discovered as they’ve updated the fake ID for the COVID-19 era, hitting up liquor stores dressed as elderly grandmas wearing coronavirus face masks.

The “prank” has taken social media platform TikTok by storm, with videos of users bedecked as boozehound bubbies — seemingly victorious, bottles in hand — racking up millions of views.

That you get liquor before you turn 21 is, we’re sure, just a bonus.

• Haha 8

On 7/14/2020 at 10:22 PM, CTRLZero said:

In Washington state, we've been under mandatory mask rules for a couple weeks.  Today we observed what happens when someone doesn't wear a mask.

We entered a home improvement store through the garden section.  Everyone was masked except for one young woman who was stopped and asked to leave since she didn't have a mask.  She said, "I just need potting soil.  What am I supposed to do?"  The employee said, "You can wait outside and a manager will be out to inform you of your options."  Excellent.  That is just exactly what is supposed to happen under our state rules and everyone was civil.  We were on a mission to get in and out of the store quickly, so we didn't see what option the young woman chose. 

In other news, my husband learned that friends (a husband and wife) both went through COVID.  The husband had mild symptoms and declares himself safe to be around, since he has antibodies.  His wife, who recently had bypass surgery, really struggled and continues to recover.  It's a really scary disease.

Sounds like the employee handled the situation well.

I have heard the antibodies don't last long.

• Upvote 5

Andy Stanley (son of Charles Stanley who made an appearance on 19 Kids & Counting) just announced that his church - North Point - the greater Atlanta area is going virtual for the rest of the year.  (step it up evangelicals - the big boys just upped the ante)

• Upvote 12

1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

Me too. The long term effects of this virus are unknown. Scary as hell.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

Alabama is now under a mask order.

https://www.al.com/news/2020/07/gov-ivey-covid-update-today-press-conference-planned-for-11-am-watch-live.html

Spoiler

Gov. Kay Ivey has issued a statewide mask order.

The order states a face covering must be worn in public when in close contact with other people. Specifically, it stipulates Alabamians must wear a mask when within 6 feet of a person from another household; in an indoor space open to the public; a vehicle operated by a transportation service such as Uber; or an outdoor public space where 10 or more people are gathered.

It goes into effect Thursday at 5 p.m. and will remain in effect until at least July 31. The order, which comes as Alabama has seen a sharp increase in the number of coronavirus cases and hospitalizations, supersedes any local regulations.

“We’re almost to the point where our hospital ICUs are overwhelmed, Ivey said, noting last week 87% of the state ICU beds were full. Folks, the numbers just do not lie,” Ivey said.

Ivey cautioned however, she thought enforcing the mandate would be a “difficult order.”

“I always prefer personal responsibility over a government mandate,” Ivey said.

The order carries a penalty of $500 or jail time but Ivey said the focus will be on education as opposed to punishment.

“We are not asking sheriffs or police officers to seek out people not wearing a face mask. Our goal is to inform people,” the governor said.

There are exceptions to the order. The largest category for exceptions is for “practical necessity” reasons, such as when children are 6 or younger; people with certain medical conditions or disabilities; eating and drinking; and medical and dental procedures. There are also categories for exceptions for exercise, communicating with an audience and certain necessary job functions. Another category for exceptions includes activities such as voting or religious worship, though wearing a face mask for those is “strongly encouraged,” the governor’s office said.

The order does not stipulate what kind of face covering is required as long as it covers the nostrils and mouth. It does require businesses to take “reasonable steps” to encourage mask use by employees and customers.

I'm hearing many police and sheriff's departments are refusing to enforce it.  And many residents are refusing to obey it.  I'm ashamed of my state for not taking this seriously.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 6

2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

That's another horrible facet of this disease.  I think they are taking blood tests to see how long his antibodies last. 

On another somewhat related note, I am taking an on-line class on pandemics.  According to an article we read for our class, it is possible to get bubonic plague more than once.  Oh, joy.  Fortunately, bubonic plague can be treated with antibiotics if caught early enough. 

The things I am learning in 2020.  In 2021, I want to think only of kittens and puppies.  ?

• Upvote 8

Stopped at the gas station this morning to get coffee. Two guys walking in without masks and going over to the rotating hotdogs for a snack! Then the woman who worked there had no mask either! Meanwhile, I have mine on . i should have taken it off and coughed in her direction! And in theirs! 

• Upvote 4

As my state opens up more and more, I've started making decisions on where I will and won't shop based on if I know the majority of people there will be wearing masks or not, regardless of location, prices, or what I may need (based solely on the mask wearing observed on my last trip to each store). The big grocery store and hardware store near me are a go; they have signs asking folks to wear masks; their employees wear masks; and most people are complying. The liquor/convenience store down the street from me is totally out- I popped in for some sandwich rolls last week and there were probably 10-15 people there and two of us had masks on. I figure I'll stick around the people who have decided to keep themselves and others safe and let the non-mask wearers all stick around each other and possibly spread infection. I realize that it is a privilege for me to make those choices. I feel bad for the folks who, for example, may need to shop at the dollar store (there are two in my town) and are trying to stay safe but the store isn't asking anyone to wear a mask and other patrons are not following basic public health guidelines. 

• Upvote 10

13 minutes ago, therulesofjinx said:

As my state opens up more and more, I've started making decisions on where I will and won't shop based on if I know the majority of people there will be wearing masks or not, regardless of location, prices, or what I may need (based solely on the mask wearing observed on my last trip to each store). The big grocery store and hardware store near me are a go; they have signs asking folks to wear masks; their employees wear masks; and most people are complying. The liquor/convenience store down the street from me is totally out- I popped in for some sandwich rolls last week and there were probably 10-15 people there and two of us had masks on. I figure I'll stick around the people who have decided to keep themselves and others safe and let the non-mask wearers all stick around each other and possibly spread infection. I realize that it is a privilege for me to make those choices. I feel bad for the folks who, for example, may need to shop at the dollar store (there are two in my town) and are trying to stay safe but the store isn't asking anyone to wear a mask and other patrons are not following basic public health guidelines. 

Yes, its a matter of picking and choosing. 99% of the places out by me are responsible, so I don't feel too bad. I don't know if any of the gas stations will be any better. I guess my alternative is to pay at the  pump. Funny, this place advertises how "your safety is important to us". 

Last weekend, we went to a favorite restaurant. We went early as we wanted to eat inside and knew it would not be crowded. Well, they were having UFC fighting that night. The bar was packed. The restaurant looked quiet. However the manager and the hostess who came out front were not wearing masks. We left. WE will not be back until this is all over, if ever. 

• Upvote 8

My state has a mask mandate and it is very very unusual to see someone Not Masked. Everyone wears a mask in public.  Adjoining state, also with mandate, but I estimate 30 or 40 percent of people in public spaces are not masked. A difference of 20 miles or less from my town and a completely different culture.  So weird.  

• Upvote 8

5 minutes ago, Becky said:

My state has a mask mandate and it is very very unusual to see someone Not Masked. Everyone wears a mask in public.  Adjoining state, also with mandate, but I estimate 30 or 40 percent of people in public spaces are not masked. A difference of 20 miles or less from my town and a completely different culture.  So weird.  

Its like that in parts of our state. 

• Upvote 2

The confirmed COVID cases are increasing rapidly in our county, despite early restrictions and mandatory mask rules.  In looking at our county's confirmation-to-hospitalization ratio, it appears almost exactly 10% of confirmed cases wind up hospitalized.  Is that a fairly typical percentage?  So our county health department reports roughly 500 cases, 50 hospitalized, 5 deaths. 

I haven't been looking at actual numbers for awhile.  It's surprising (or not) how much it's increased.  ?

Edited by CTRLZero
Oops.
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 1

Gov. Greg Abbott defends mask mandate to "frustrated" delegates at Texas GOP convention

Gov. Greg Abbott delivered a firm defense Thursday of his coronavirus response to delegates at the Texas GOP convention who even he acknowledged have grown agitated with him.

Abbott addressed the discontent head-on as the virtual convention got underway Thursday afternoon, starting with the statewide mask requirement that he issued earlier this month. Since then, several Republican county leaders, including in some of the state's biggest red counties, have voted to censure the governor.

“Now I know that many of all you are frustrated — so am I," Abbott said in a video message to the delegates. "I know that many of you do not like the mask requirement — I don’t either. It is the last thing that I wanted to do.

"Actually the next to the last," Abbott added. "The last thing that any of us want is to lock Texas back down again."

Coronavirus has surged in recent weeks across the state, and Abbott sought to impress upon the delegates how dire the situation has become.

"Each day the facts get worse," he said. "If we don't slow this disease quickly, our hospitals will get overrun, and I fear it will even inflict some of the people that I'm talking to right now."

In addition to criticism of his mask order, Abbott has faced growing resistance from within his own party to his use of executive power in general. Abbott also tackled that critique in his address to delegates.

"Many of you say my orders are unconstitutional," said Abbott, who was the attorney general before becoming governor in 2014. "But remember: I was the attorney general who fought for your First Amendment, your Second Amendment and your 10th Amendment rights at the United States Supreme Court."

"I will never abandon the Constitution," Abbott continued, "and I haven't here."

To support his case, Abbott said there was a recent ruling by the conservative 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals — written by a judge appointed by President Donald Trump — that "upheld the constitutionality of my executive order authority." Abbott appeared to be referring to an early April ruling that let Texas enforce a ban on almost all abortions amid the pandemic, part of a broader order by Abbott to cancel elective surgeries and free up hospital space.

Abbott then acknowledged to delegates that they may have some differences — but "there is so much that we agree on," urging unity to reelect Trump and defeat presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden.

The state GOP convention is being held online through Saturday. The party moved forward with the virtual format earlier this week after losing a legal battle to hold it in person in Houston as originally planned.

Abbott's handling of the pandemic has come under increasing scrutiny — from both sides — as the coronavirus has spiked in Texas. He issued the statewide mask requirement after banning local officials from instituting such mandates earlier in the pandemic. He later allowed local governments to require businesses to mandate mask-wearing by customers and employees.

My local paper carried this story, and the first comment was someone telling other readers to watch one of the people on Faux explain how masks are useless. :doh:

• Confused 1
  • WTF 4

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic