IGNORED

Coronavirus 3

GreyhoundFan

I know it is a small sample but this can't be good.

"Three-Quarters of Recovered Coronavirus Patients Have Heart Damage Months Later, Study Finds. Of the 100 patients studied, 78 had lingering heart damage despite being “mostly healthy … prior to their illness”

https://people.com/health/three-quarters-recovered-coronavirus-patients-have-heart-damage-months-later/

• Sad 8
  • Thank You 4

13 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

I am also curious, that seems like more testing than large parts of the US is managing at the moment. Also curious as to who pays for it - if I were a student, or the parent of a student, this would be a massive incentive for me to do remote learning as I suspect this is where the costs will be passed on to.

The University I work for is covering costs for all student testing. Not sure how since I know we are in a bit of a financial problem and cuts have been made elsewhere....

I read yesterday that my alma mater, which is a HUGE school, is testing all students every three days. 

• Upvote 4

St. Louis Public Schools going virtual for first quarter of the upcoming school year.

And this bit indicates that at least 11 districts in the St. Louis area will start virtual

• Upvote 6

Illinois Governor bans adult/youth sports - includes High School athletics, not college or professional.

• Upvote 6

I may want a comment from our The Accidental Governor (aka Trumpvidian Fanboy) about this.  

And 300 Florida graduates and their families told to quarantine 

Spoiler

• Upvote 7

Victoria has hit a new high in daily cases (723) after two days of dropping numbers. Unfortunately that is likely to be because one of our worst case scenarios has happened and the virus has spread to several nursing homes, with cases being detected in both staff and residents. So I suspect the jump is because they have tested everyone in those locations. 

Mask wearing has also been expanded to regional areas, as there is a slow rise in cases there too.

My friend has been discharged from hospital and is in home quarantine as she is still testing positive - I suspect the nursing home cases have pushed that decision as they look at likely bed needs.

There are now 5 people in their 20s in ICU - a fortnight ago the youngest was 40.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

It looks like Herman Cain has passed.  I seem to recall he may have picked the virus up at the Trump Tulsa rally.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2

Wait, how could Hermann Cain be dead? Isn't it fake news? Wasn't he one of those anti maskers and covid-19 deniers?

You can believe what you want to but science will always win in the end.

• Upvote 10

[mention]Ozlsn [/mention] I wish your friend a speedy recovery! So glad she‘s out of the hospital.
[mention]clueliss [/mention]This is so sad. I hope some of the Trumpsters finally get it‘s not just the flu.
Here cases continue to rise as well. Geneva as the most urban and international area is a new hot spot which worries me since the pandemic spread from Geneva and Ticino (on the border to Italy) in March. But still, the university I work at is opening next Monday which means I’ll be sitting in the same room with a lot of young students who don’t take the he virus seriously. I will open the windows and tell everyone who’s complaining that we’re still in a pandemic. I’ll be wearing a mask as well. I still have a bad feeling returning to work on site.
Today I took a Covid-test because of a persistent cold. While it wasn‘t pleasant I‘m so grateful every person with respiratory symptoms is allowed to get tested, it‘s free and the results are here within 24hrs I think. The GP told me they do a lot of testing but only here and there they have a positive result.

ETA: [mention]Audrey2 [/mention] It seems to be true, CNN is reporting it as well [emoji20] https://www.google.ch/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/07/30/politics/herman-cain-dies-coronavirus/index.html

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

Cain was high risk and still went to Covidpalooza - ten bucks says he caught it there.

Cain, 74, was hospitalized earlier this month, and his Twitter account said this week he was being treated with oxygen in his lungs. It is unknown where Cain contracted the virus.

As a co-chair of Black Voices for Trump, Cain was one of the surrogates at President Donald Trump's June 20 rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma -- which saw at least eight Trump advance team staffers in attendance test positive for coronavirus. Trump campaign spokesman Tim Murtaugh has told CNN that Cain did not meet with Trump at the Tulsa rally.

Cain announced his candidacy for president in 2011. He briefly gained traction in the race for his 9-9-9 tax reform plan, which would have replaced almost all current taxes with a 9% income tax, a 9% corporate tax and a 9% national sales tax. After about seven months, he dropped his bid for the GOP nomination amid sexual harassment allegations, which he denied.

Cain was considered at an increased risk for coronavirus due to his age and history with cancer, according to US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidance.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

As soon as I heard about Cain, I knew a conspiracy about his death would spring up:

The money quote:

Spoiler

image.png.2cde0e42e8c8a0d609e8563484f6da36.png

:doh:

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 13

Some of those Covidiots are saying that Herman Cain really died from cancer, not the virus, so no matter what, they'll still deny it's real until they find themselves on a ventilator. After all, they're willing to sacrifice their family members to their Dear Leader.                                             

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 4
  • WTF 3

Great job, Missouri.  Great job.  New record (after a new record yesterday) - I think we're on day 11 or 12 of more than 1000 new cases/day.  Today it's 2084.  

Pardon me while I mentally stick pins in my Accidental Governor voodoo doll.

well that's not good news.  

• Upvote 8

7 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

You can believe what you want to but science will always win in the end.

While you are free to reject reality and substitute your own it is unlikely to protect you in any way, shape or form. Gravity still works, the laws of Thermodynamics remain consistent and viral transmission is proportional to numbers of people in close contact with positive cases. 

3 hours ago, ADoyle90815 said:

Some of those Covidiots are saying that Herman Cain really died from cancer, not the virus, so no matter what, they'll still deny it's real until they find themselves on a ventilator. After all, they're willing to sacrifice their family members to their Dear Leader.                                             

I see this come up All The Bloody Time on the ABC comments section. Why these morons don't ask the question of whether he would have died at that time without the virus is beyond me. If he'd died in a car crash on the way home from Tulsa they'd probably not be arguing that cancer killed him (then again, with this lot...) He died of the virus, with the cancer (which probably didn't help him fight it, no). I don't get why this is so hard for some people.

As to "white people don't transmit the virus as much" - please do not vote this person in, I think representatives of the people should have at least some functioning brain cells and a passing aquaintance with reality.

Edited by Ozlsn
  • Upvote 13
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

As soon as I heard about Cain, I knew a conspiracy about his death would spring up:

The money quote:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.2cde0e42e8c8a0d609e8563484f6da36.png

:doh:

Apparently she served two years for conspiracy and was pardoned by Trump earlier this year. Of course she loves Trump, he pardoned her.

• Disgust 2
  • WTF 2
  • Thank You 2

4 hours ago, JMarie said:

Apparently she served two years for conspiracy and was pardoned by Trump earlier this year. Of course she loves Trump, he pardoned her.

I am mildly surprised by the fact she managed to engage in conspiracy... not by the fact she got caught.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

California gym that defied health order tied to outbreak cluster (f'yeah - go to the gym!)

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 1

One of the young adult children of a friend of mine is experiencing shortness of breath and lung damage after an apparently unnoticed Covid-19 infection because asymptomatic. All of the family were very cautious, only homoffice, no contact with family and friends. And somehow one of them got infected. This is so frightening.

At this point I‘m so angry at all those fucking people who don‘t take a novel virus serious enough. Thousands of people could end up with long term damage not to mention all those senseless deaths and so many people just don‘t care.

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 5
  • Love 1

The St. Louis Cardinals are now in quarantine due to Covid positives

National Teacher Union supports strikes over reopening (oh good, someone has sense)

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, clueliss said:

California gym that defied health order tied to outbreak cluster (f'yeah - go to the gym!)

The county health department and local news have been all over them since they should have closed.  The county has tried to avoid fines and other punitive measures trying to educate and appeal to good sense.  Some idiots have been defiant. Since we have some "egregious" violators,  they are establishing a reporting line and setting fines.  Cease and desist orders have been sent to several local churches. 

• Upvote 9

My city is trying the education route first.  Nevertheless - they've issued fines to 5 or 6 businesses at this point (bars/restaurants anyone?) and said they've got another 3 or so on the list they're expecting to fine.

• Upvote 6

Victoria had its 2nd worst day on record (yesterday was the worst) despite being 3 weeks into lockdown. Apparently 1 in 4 positive cases weren't at home/couldn't be contacted when the Australian Defence Force door knocked yesterday. It has been implied and I strongly suspect we will be going into stricter lockdowns in the coming days. 

Meanwhile another state (Queensland), is desperately trying to find and isolate any cases it might have after some people visited Victoria from there and lied (illegally) about where they had been. The state hadnt had community transmission in like a month. 

• I Agree 2

260 sick at a camp in Georgia.  (and who thought sleepaway camp during this was a wise choice?)

• WTF 5

Children younger than 5 have between 10 and 100 times more genetic material from the coronavirus in their noses compared to other people, a new study finds.

And anything that is in the nose of a child under age 5 is going to end up outside of their nose. Guaranteed. If it's in their nose, it's probably on their fingers.

Charlotte NC schools announced yesterday they are going to full remote learning. I think they had been discussing doing a sort of shift system with part at home and part at school, before.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic