IGNORED

Kendra Tierney: A Martyr for Catholicism All Year

anachronistic

I didn't know USC was private, thanks for letting me know. It is at any rate very secular

2 hours ago, ADoyle90815 said:

I've also noticed there's no social distancing or masks at all at that graduation. I'm surprised they went ahead with a graduation instead of doing a virtual ceremony and car parade like every other high school seems to be doing.

My high school's seniors are graduating on Friday.  It is a very small class, so six groups of ten will be graduating every half hour from 12:00 till 6:00.  There are a million social distancing rules (masks, decontaminate the gym between groups, stay six feet apart, no having left the state, etc.  Each student can invite three guests in order to keep the group smaller than fifty people. They're going to prerecord speeches, film all the separate ceremonies and splice them all together in a video. We teachers are  going in our graduation regalia to cheer for them from the school sidewalk as they are driven by in decorated cars. We're going to blast the class song as they drive by.   It's not the real thing, but a lot of effort has been put into it.  

• Love 12

@Caroline, your school's graduation sounds beautiful!  

@Red Hair, Black Dress,  USC is sometimes called the University of Spoiled Children.  It's the school that Lori Loughlin tried to get her daughters into by shady means.  Not all kids that go there are spoiled, of course, but the campus does tend to be a little insular these days which is really unfortunate. 

Herb Alpert spent a couple o years at USC, but he endowed a piano scholarship in his sister's name at UCLA.  I think he must have donated an additional pile of money to UCLA because they named their music school after him.  He also donated $10 million to LA City College so that any student who wanted to study music there could do it tuition-free.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 5

I knew that USC was a  private university, but I thought that since the University of CA system has cancelled its in-person classes for next year, that USC would too since it's also large and in the middle of a major city.  

Looked at the University of Mary's website and it's 4 miles south of Bismarck, pretty much by itself. Can't say I'd want a kid of mine to be stuck there.

OTOH, Betty would be far, far away from her asshole parents, so there's that.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Caroline said:

I knew that USC was a  private university, but I thought that since the University of CA system has cancelled its in-person classes for next year, that USC would too since it's also large and in the middle of a major city.  

Is that true that UC is going virtual all of next year? I thought that decision had not yet been made. I live very close to a UC campus. I know the CSU system will be virtual for the fall semester. 

9 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Jack chose USC himself
Kendra seems to have chosen University of Mary for Betty.

Hmmmmmm... if I didn't know better I would think that Kendra's fave child was getting a better deal by not being shunted off to Bismark.  Jack can explore and experience college (just like Kendra did at USC). Betty's world will get a whole lot smaller and more restricted.

I don't know about Betty not being a favourite. Jack definitely is, she has boasted about him being proof that her parenting style works, but she talks up Betty as well, just in a different way. Betty is compliant, sweet and seems happy to help with her siblings. I think this is just gender stereotypes.

She has admitted in the past to thinking that women and men have different roles. Why spend a fortune on a good college and run the risk of them leaving the fold if all Betty is destined for is home and kids. Jack isn't exactly off the hook either, he has to check in with an Opus Dei mentor regularly ?

Now if this was Frankie we were talking about... if Kendra is playing favourites, that kid is destined for an enclosed Benedictine monastry in Alaska for college.

Edited by Carrots
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 5

12 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Is that true that UC is going virtual all of next year? I thought that decision had not yet been made. I live very close to a UC campus. I know the CSU system will be virtual for the fall semester. 

Sorry!  I I live as far away from California as you can get in the US, so I shouldn't be talking about what's going on there.  I thought I had heard on the news that all the state colleges and universities would be virtual for sure, but I didn't know that the there were two state systems (UC and CSU).  Sorry for any confusion.  I shouldn't have said anything.  

3 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Looked at the University of Mary's website and it's 4 miles south of Bismarck, pretty much by itself. Can't say I'd want a kid of mine to be stuck there.

OTOH, Betty would be far, far away from her asshole parents, so there's that.

Sounds like serious culture shock.  It's an ok choice if the kid makes the choice, but it sounds like Mom makes all the decisions for everyone.  Yuck.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, therulesofjinx said:

I see no masks (one person with a bandana around their neck not on their face) and no social distancing efforts....they live just outside of Los Angeles! What the heck! I live in a tiny, tiny state and we don't have a ton of COVID-19 cases, but all of our in-person high school graduations were canceled and made virtual...

In person high school graduations should not have been held in or near Los Angeles.  They were ignoring health orders if they held a large gathering especially without face coverings and social distancing.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

As someone who also lives in the Los Angeles area, the thing I understood is that there was no in-person graduation ceremonies of any kind, and for those car parades, students have to remain inside the car to get their diploma. Other than those parades, graduation ceremonies are virtual, with prerecorded speeches. My SIL and her mom both teach at a Catholic K-8 school,  and they still did a virtual ceremony for their 8th grade class, as they weren't allowed to have an in-person ceremony. If Jack's school did an in-person ceremony, they were violating health orders from the county  especially as nobody was wearing any face coverings, and there was no social distancing going on.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

Super special uber Catholic fanatically liturgically living all year Opus Dei Tierneys don't get Covid-19 simply because they are super special uber Catholic fanatically liturgically living all year Opus Dei Tierneys.

God loves them best because they are so much more Catholic-er than thou than the rest of us regular Catholics.

Kendra's entire social media presence is dedicated to making sure we all know this.

Edited by Red Hair, Black Dress
  • Upvote 9

So, yesterday it seemed to me that she had turned comments off for that post. I checked this morning and comments are on and there are people asking about the masks. She said that no one was sick or high risk and it was all good friends who hadn't seen each other in months and that faces are important for community and celebration. Hey, guess what- people are also important for community and celebration and not following guidelines during a global pandemic puts those people at risk. She said everyone was asked to wear masks inside the church and that everyone did - BUT there's a picture of her, her husband, and Jack inside the church...no masks....

Ok, actually, I just looked a bit more- I think she absolutely went through and removed comments she didn't like- there was only one question about masks and a few other comments saying "yay! no masks! they're not needed in this situation!" and the rest were all messages of congratulations.

• Upvote 4
  • Angry 1
  • WTF 3

On 6/10/2020 at 5:27 PM, Caroline said:

Sorry!  I I live as far away from California as you can get in the US, so I shouldn't be talking about what's going on there.  I thought I had heard on the news that all the state colleges and universities would be virtual for sure, but I didn't know that the there were two state systems (UC and CSU).  Sorry for any confusion.  I shouldn't have said anything.  

Sounds like serious culture shock.  It's an ok choice if the kid makes the choice, but it sounds like Mom makes all the decisions for everyone.  Yuck.

No worries. The only reason this interests me is because in our small, expensive county, the UC campus is a major economic driver. Plus my displaced D/T coronavirus son is looking to buy a place and if the students are virtual for the Fall, his chances are far better for securing something at a better price. After 5 years of empty nesting, I need this to happen LOL!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, therulesofjinx said:

She said that no one was sick or high risk and it was all good friends who hadn't seen each other in months and that faces are important for community and celebration.

This. THIS. This right here is a perfect example of Kendra's magical I'm so special uber Cathholic I can't get sick thinking. 

No one is sick -- How does she know? Asymptomatic is a real thing Kendra

No one is high risk --  How does she know?  Is she privy to the medical condition of everyone who attended ?  What about her hubby and his Stage 4 melanoma?  What! no elderly grandparents attended? There is a group Tierney photo with Kendra's parents.

Good friends -- Oh of course, by all means Kendra. it would be Im. Possible. for good friends of the Uber Fabulous Uber Catholic Tierneys to be asymptomatic, or at risk or in any way able to catch Covid.  Protected as they are by being good friends of the Uber Fabulous Uber Catholic Tierneys -- and possibly uber fabulous uber Catholic Opus Deis themselves.

They hadn't seen each other in months -- Cry me an effing river Kendra.  100s of 1000s of people can say the same thing.  This is the most lame-ass excuse I've ever heard.

Faces are important for community and celebration -- Well Kendra, it's like this. I'd rather the "community" celebrate safely by wearing masks and not possibly infecting any of their good friends by celebrating bare-faced right next to each other.

But hey, you do you.  Just stay away the eff from all those other people who might not want to breathe in your family's water droplets. Think about someone other than your privileged self for a change. If that is even possible. Which I seriously doubt. Given how super special uber Catholic fanatically liturgically living all year Opus Dei better than everyone else the Tierneys "think" they are.

Edited by Red Hair, Black Dress
  • Upvote 10
  • Angry 1
  • I Agree 3

Yeah, Kendra—I get it. People miss their loved ones. I have friends who haven’t met their grandbabies yet because of quarantining. But germs are a thing. I just got off the phone with my minister (both of us are former Ebil Catholics).  We realize that social distancing is taking an emotional toll on our congregation, despite some amazing virtual services, and are trying to figure out a way to meet in person without killing everyone. Our meetinghouse is small, so we’re brainstorming ways to have a couple of outdoor services in our church’s “back yard,” with chairs spaced far apart. He and our lay pastoral care team are trying to figure out how to visit our shut-ins while maintaining a safe distance.

Meanwhile, my next door neighbor (whom I love but kind of wonder about recently) just threw a party to celebrate her daughter’s second master’s degree. On FB, she referred to it as a “tiny little gathering”—with 20+ people and a live band, no masks in sight, all squished together in a small area.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 1

My woonatic sister-in-law had a video on her yoga page in April sitting two feet from someone she didn’t live with to yammer about woo nonsense. No masks. At the beginning they explained that they decided no precautions were necessary because they “knew each other’s habits” including hygiene, “clean eating” and supplements. 
Don’t blame Catholicism for that sort of stupidity.  

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 4

Her latest blog is all about how she’s not talking about what everyone else is talking about right now because it takes away from her message about Catholicism and it’s just the issue of the moment, anyway. Several commenters (I find it very hard to read the comments because after the first reply they somehow turn into long skinny towers of letters)  point out that it’s not an issue of the moment at all and it’s kind of hypocritical for her to say she’s all pro life when she won’t even say Black Lives Matter but she remains firm. Her thing is Catholicism. Nothing else (unless she feels like it, of course.)

• Upvote 3
  • Angry 2
  • Disgust 3
  • WTF 3

33 minutes ago, anachronistic said:

Her latest blog is all about how she’s not talking about what everyone else is talking about right now because it takes away from her message about Catholicism and it’s just the issue of the moment, anyway.

Kendra's opinions in that post are entirely predictable but I will give her some credit for not deleting her critics' comments. 

That said, Kendra is the epitome of white privilege so it's not surprising that she devotes a blog post to excusing herself from having to discuss racism with her audience.

Edited by hoipolloi
  • Upvote 10

Pope Francis has come out denouncing racism and supporting the protests. 

But I guess Kendra's more Catholic than he is?

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 10
  • I Agree 2

Kendra, really really really doesn't like Pope Francis. She sighs and longs for the good old days of her boyfriend -- hardliner, no social justice for you Pope Benedict.

In Feb 2016 she blogged saying she was writing Pope Francis to tell him she disagreed with him on something, thought he was wrong, and wanted clarification of what he'd said.

She thought it was a fabulous idea. She urged her fangirls to do the same. Because if enough of them wrote, then the Pope would explain himself to Kendra.

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, anachronistic said:

Her latest blog is all about how she’s not talking about what everyone else is talking about right now because it takes away from her message about Catholicism and it’s just the issue of the moment, anyway. Several commenters (I find it very hard to read the comments because after the first reply they somehow turn into long skinny towers of letters)  point out that it’s not an issue of the moment at all and it’s kind of hypocritical for her to say she’s all pro life when she won’t even say Black Lives Matter but she remains firm. Her thing is Catholicism. Nothing else (unless she feels like it, of course.)

A text I got from a fundie friend yesterday:

”If the protesters truly believe that black lives matter then the first step should be to stop aborting their precious black babies.”

The rest of our discourse was intense, and they were against racism in general and think of BLM as legitimate, but fundies see everything through such a dogmatic lense, they have to make EVERYTHING about a big fight between the bible and the ebul world. Sad.

Let’s just say that convo could have been 10x worse and it still made be buy a pack of American Spirits, order a pizza for myself (with gluten! oh no!), and binge watch Netflix. Today it’s green tea, an epsom salt bath, and a module in a contemplative spirituality course. Self care can be many things! 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 1
  • Love 7

It's not just uber Catholics like Kendra and "woonatics"  like @louisa05's sister that think that somehow they're immune to COVID-19 through their status as super devout Christians or super believers in all sorts of woo.  Too many of them completely forget what Jesus said about the rain falling on the just and unjust.  Just because you're a Christian doesn't meant that nothing bad will ever happen to you.  Back years ago, this belief was rare, but I think it's gained currency with the charismatics.  

Btw, @louisa05,  i love that term "woonatics"!  

• Upvote 12

In 1973, my parents gave me a Douay-Rheims Catholic Bible as one of my wedding presents. In its commentary, it specifically cites racism as a sin, falling under the commandment “Thou shalt not kill.”

Edited by Hane
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 8

On 6/16/2020 at 10:40 PM, Hane said:

Douay-Rheims Catholic Bible 

Friend of mine said the Douay=Rheims was the ONLY proper version of the Bible for Catholics. I found the language to be so archaic and convoluted that I could not deal with it. So I missed the commentary.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

On 6/18/2020 at 11:43 AM, Four is Enough said:

Friend of mine said the Douay=Rheims was the ONLY proper version of the Bible for Catholics. I found the language to be so archaic and convoluted that I could not deal with it. So I missed the commentary.

Just out of curiosity , I have just now read the third chapter of St. John's gospel in the Douay Rheims  

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+3&version=DRA  . In my observation it seems very much like the King James Version , only with " amen " , where the " verily " would have otherwise gone . For comparison , here is St. John 3 : 3-5 , first in the Doay Rheims , and then in the King James .  

3 Jesus answered, and said to him: Amen, amen I say to thee, unless a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

4 Nicodemus saith to him: How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter a second time into his mother's womb, and be born again?

5 Jesus answered: Amen, amen I say to thee, unless a man be born again of water and the Holy Ghost, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?

5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

So it's basically the same ,; it's just that it sounds weird to my Protestant mind to use the word " amen" , instead of using the word  " verily "  .  Typically we would just place the word amen at the end of a prayer , rather than to use it as a synonym for " truly " .  

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic