IGNORED

Kendra Tierney: A Martyr for Catholicism All Year

anachronistic

1 hour ago, zee_four said:

I honestly thought they were doing a riverdale dress up thing with Betty doing yell squad like that.

Are there pictures -- where?

I have this very strong suspicion that Kendra in high school (whether public or Catholic) did and had all the things she denies her children -- dating, being a cheerleader, sleepovers, privacy, freedom, independent thought, decision making, etc.  Kendra was a flight instructor after college.  I don't see her letting her daughters have that sort of freedom.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

11 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Are there pictures -- where?

I have this very strong suspicion that Kendra in high school (whether public or Catholic) did and had all the things she denies her children -- dating, being a cheerleader, sleepovers, privacy, freedom, independent thought, decision making, etc.  Kendra was a flight instructor after college.  I don't see her letting her daughters have that sort of freedom.

But isn’t that many fundies we talk about on FJ? The Bateses, Duggars, Andersons, Maxwells, Mortons, Smiths, Jeubs, Campanas, Arndts, TAM, and even Braggie just to name a few. Although Braggie was homeschooled, I think she got more opportunities for higher learning than her kids will have. And she only had one brother. She didn’t have to sister-mom like her kids. So many of these fundie families raise their children with far fewer choices than they had. And it’s so gross. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 9

The 1st generation converts are the most zealous because they had some "personal experience or revelation." It fuels the fires of zealotry. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4

7 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

The 1st generation converts are the most zealous because they had some "personal experience or revelation." It fuels the fires of zealotry. 

I totally agree. And I really hope that it doesn’t stick to most of the children because of that. They have grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins with different lifestyles. Seeing family members happy and healthy in their different lifestyles likely makes the children realize there isn’t a “one size fits all” like their parents push. 

• Upvote 5

18 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

@Four is Enough Don't know about the hair shirts, but Opus Dei does the self -flagellation/ flesh mortification (cilice= a spiked garter).

Not everyone, and the practice is kept rather quiet, but the more.... ummmm... devout members seem to adhere to the practice. 

And put little stones inside the shoes, to suffer while walking. Not always and not all of them, but it is a thing. I highly doubt Kendra mortifies herself, though.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

While I don't wish hardship on anyone, having struggles that prayer, faith in Jesus, and Bible reading don't alleviate is a big part of de-programming from fundamentalism. I see that as having happened with Jill Duggar.   

• Upvote 6

For those wondering where the picture of the yell squad was, it's on her Instagram page. I also think the only reason her daughter was allowed to do that is that it's just good Catholic girls cheering the boys on. Kendra might be like every other fundie in that she did things like cheerleading and attending public schools that she doesn't allow her children to do. I doubt she even does any self flagellating or other body mortification because if she did, her clothes would cover the wounds left by such practices. I'm assuming she wears regular swimsuits, even if it's a tankini or one-piece when at the pool or beach, instead of what the other fundies we snark on wear.

• Upvote 3

Kendra probably doesn't do the flagellation/ mortification, but I bet cash money her husband does.

BEC here -- He may not be like this IRL, but there is something about him in photos that .... bothers me  ..... and not in a good way.

When they first bought their "Gramblewood" estate, Kendra and hubby did a phone video walking the grounds and talking about plans they had.  I was really surprised by their voices.  Both of them nasel-y and flat, no inflections at all.

Edited to add:  Something I've noticed about Kendra.  For years she wore the heavy black frame hipster nerd glasses, as part of her "I'm a cool hipster fundie Catholic mom who let my hair go grey and I don't wear make-up except very rarely and I dress very Anthro/boho " aesthetic/ brand.  She would joke the glasses were known in the military as "birth control glasses" except they didn't work for her (TMI Kendra. T. M. I.)

She's stopped wearing them. doesn't wear glasses at all. and is now wearing make-up in her photos.   As she is more and more visible in the fundie Catholic world with many more speaking engagements, and book interviews and even more social media presence, she seems to be tweaking her aesthetic.  Maybe she wants to appeal to a wider audience? But she sure looks different these days.Her current about photo on the blog is practically a glamour shot compared to the old one (which I cannot find)

Edited by Red Hair, Black Dress
  • Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

Replying to the poster about consuming the host at mass.  I’ve taught 1st communion classes in my parish for over 40 years.

When we practice receiving with the unconsecrated hosts, I always tell them that it is ok to chew the host, because Jesus said “take and eat” not take and let it dissolve”....

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

I was a daily communicant for a while back in the 70s.  We had daily Mass at 5:15 at the Catholic Center, the Newman Center at UGA.  The priests were cool and everything was pretty casual. We'd sit on benches at the back of the chapel for the Liturgy of the Word and then gather around the altar for the Liturgy of the Eucharist.  

Like @marypat57, said, the bread is food and is meant to be considered as such, so yep, it can be chewed.  One of my daughters went to this town in the Czech Republic, near the border with Bavaria, that is famous for their wafers which are like filled communion wafers.  They are delicious!

@marypat57, do some parishes still bake their own communion bread?  I baked quite a few loaves for Mass over the years.  It was most always a flat, round whole wheat leavened loaf.  One thing that is nice about whole wheat is that it's more people colored. 

@Red Hair, Black Dress, this was a few pages back, but you asked about the service requirement of grads of the service academies.  All graduates of the service academies have an obligation to serve in the military or Coast Guard, in the case of that academy, for a term of IIRC, 4 years.  Dallas Cowboys legend Roger Staubach, graduated from Annapolis and he served out his obligation to the Navy before his NFL career stated.

• Thank You 1

@PennySycamore, that sounds like the campus masses I attended at that time, at the student center and the Newman House (Catholic ministry on campus). The priest wore different colored clerical shirts and the homily was a discussion. And I recall communion wine in an earthenware goblet and the communion bread being bits of bagel in a bread basket.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

She’s not a convert though. She was raised Catholic. At best I think she could be termed a “revert” like Jenny from Mama Needs Coffee. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, princessmahina said:

She’s not a convert though. She was raised Catholic. At best I think she could be termed a “revert” like Jenny from Mama Needs Coffee. 

She technically is as much of a convert as the Duggars or Bateses. The Duggars and Bateses grew up Christian. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

She grew up "normal" cradle Catholic, but is now all in, full on Opus Dei, which to me counts as a convert.

• Upvote 6

On 5/29/2020 at 4:26 PM, JMarie said:

They also stick to retainers (post braces)

I always get my stuck on my tongue and then I try to get enough of the wine to dissolve it. For some reason just that little bit of communion wine has always made me feel heady. When I was younger it made more sense but now even with a much higher alcohol tolerance, I still get that heady feeling. I really enjoy the traditions and repetitions of mass, even though I'm not in anyway aligned with the Catholic church.

My mom wanted me to do Confirmation in high school, at that point in time I was already volunteering for Planned Parenthood and writing papers for my guy friends who went to the boys only Jesuit school that had biblical support for homosexuality and abortion.

I'm not sure what I believe but when I can I do like to go to mass for the overall spiritual aspect if that makes sense. That probably makes me excommunicated and I likely have a special place in hell reserved just for me for knowingly taking the Eucharist when I'm totally not in sync with the church, have premarital sex, live in sin with boyfriends, advocate for comprehensive sex ed and abortion, support all LGBTQ issues, etc. I have a beautiful veil from my grandmother and I wear that to mass. I'd probably make Kendra clutch her pearls and pass out in the Confessional if she met me and realized I'm not a fellow trad like her but a very liberal unaffiliated cafeteria Catholic. Oops.

6 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

She technically is as much of a convert as the Duggars or Bateses. The Duggars and Bateses grew up Christian. 

If she were Jewish she'd be called a ba'al teshuvah or BT. It's someone who is Jewish from birth but not raised super religious, usually more cultural Jewish than religious, if they are religious it's usually reform, like go to shul only for High Holidays, who converts to Orthodox or even Hassidic ultra orthodox. 

I don't think there's a Catholic version though because I feel like trad Catholics are more of a minority of Catholicism. In the area I grew up I only knew of one tiny parish that did Latin mass and had a very small K-8 school. All the other parishes were more normal. The one my mom goes to is in a different suburb than she lives in, one that's much more white and middle class (it's right next to Columbine High School). It was the closest to an evangelic Catholic parish I've been to, especially with Youth Group but I think that was because the Littleton area is very very religious. There's lots of articles about it because of what happened at the high school and how religion got so tied in.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

Penny sycamore—no parish that I know of makes their own altar bread.  It’s probably too expensive.  

One gentleman that went to the daily mass I attended before covid used to bring his own special low gluten hosts.  He would keep it in a special pyx and give it to the priest before mass.  It was marked with his name, and the priest would give it to him at communion.

The only time I had homemade altar bread was at an in home mass I  attended.  After the consecration, we passed it around and took a piece.  

• Upvote 1

I don’t think that Kendra realizes just how flexible Catholics can be, even when they’re not *putting out press releases saying that you are excused from this or that rite*. I knew a nonverbal, not-using-a-communication-device kid who didn’t eat by mouth who still got her First Holy Communion because it meant a lot to her parents. (I’m 100% certain that it didn’t mean anything to her but whatever.) Exceptions can be made. It’s okay to not do your kids first communion in Rome, you know, that’s why they have priests all over the world?

• Upvote 6

I just came across this article, which explains in greater detail what we all knew: that the way a Kendra raises her kids, and especially babies, is so, so wrong and will seriously impact their abilities to interact positively with the world.

https://www.janetlansbury.com/2013/03/no-way-to-treat-a-baby/?fbclid=IwAR3JtoIdn3sJDKUXQA_Zu82i2fdOpzFzOZagGO7WIjnDH2mFpWqsamSfNkE

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

On 5/14/2020 at 5:20 AM, princessmahina said:

She’s already talked about Betty going to college and how she’s interested in a different experience, so I think she is encouraging college for boys and girls. Also, the curriculum she uses is pretty solid and she’s made sure that both sexes go to the private high school. So, while I think she’s going to push meeting future spouse in college/Mrs degree, I do think she wants all the kids to go to college.

i think she would LOVE it if at least one girl and one boy decided to enter the church too. 

I was falling down the rabbit hole and went to have a look at that curriculum.

Interestingly on one of the pages there are little set in boxes with a quick resume of recent graduates from their homeschool programmes. They change every time you reload the page, so I've copied this one here:

"Meet Katie A – Class of 2014

Katie is studying medical chemistry at the Univeristy of Dublin (UCD). She was elected president of the Students’ Union in March 2017, a full-time paid position that reaches out to over 35,000 students. Katie is facing an impeachment referendum because she removed abortion pricing from the UCD student handbook because such information is illegal in Ireland. "

This is very misleading. This Katie A was impeached because she was elected on a platform of stepping aside when abortion issues arose as the student union had an overwhelming mandate to support legalising abortion. Then she unilaterally removed the page and the reprinting cost about 7000 euro which she paid for from the student union fund and it was not illegal for information about abortion to be distributed! There was a legal case about that in the '90s.

For some reason seeing her name there really solidified the dreadfullness of kendra. Katie's family is very well known for catholic fundie reasons. Up until seeing this I was feeling quite benevolent towards the curriculum as it looks quite robust and intellectual.

Articles about the impeachment:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/ucd-students-vote-to-impeach-union-president-katie-ascough-1.3269739

http://www.oxygen.ie/everything-need-know-katie-ascough-impeachment-scandal/

and abortion information law in ireland

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland#Abortion_information

Also UCD is university college dublin, which is not the same as the university of Dublin (that is Trinity college Dublin). That bothers me too on a much more pedantic level.

• Upvote 10

Photos are up of Jack's graduation. He is committed to USC for engineering. So no Harvard but still pretty good achievement.

Kendra was talking about University of Mary for Betty. I don't know much about it but it seems a world away from Engineering at USC for Jack. The girls get to go to a super conservative college to find an appropriate husband and boys are pushed to get careers that will support large families perhaps ?

At least I suppose they are all heading to college and getting out of the house. Better than some of families around here.

Edited by Carrots
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

6 hours ago, Carrots said:

Photos are up of Jack's graduation.

I see no masks (one person with a bandana around their neck not on their face) and no social distancing efforts....they live just outside of Los Angeles! What the heck! I live in a tiny, tiny state and we don't have a ton of COVID-19 cases, but all of our in-person high school graduations were canceled and made virtual...

• Upvote 6

USC has 20,500 undergrad students (48,500 total)
University of Mary has 3800 students

USC is in sunny Los Angeles -- seriously multi-cultural 
University of Mary is in Bismark, ND (pop 73,112; 92.4% white)

USC is a secular state school, with all that comes with that
University of Mary is Catholic (Benedictine sisters) , at least it's co-ed

Bismark has cold snowy windy winters (Jan avg 13 degrees), hot humid summers
LA is sunny temperate CA next to the ocean

Possibility Jack could live a home for college
Betty would be in Bismark

Jack chose USC himself
Kendra seems to have chosen University of Mary for Betty

Hmmmmmm... if I didn't know better I would think that Kendra's fave child was getting a better deal by not being shunted off to Bismark.  Jack can explore and experience college (just like Kendra did at USC). Betty's world will get a whole lot smaller and more restricted. 

Hmm... is it just my suspicious mind that sees Kendra's gender roles stereotyping at work here?

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 1

I've also noticed there's no social distancing or masks at all at that graduation. I'm surprised they went ahead with a graduation instead of doing a virtual ceremony and car parade like every other high school seems to be doing.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

USC has 20,500 undergrad students (48,500 total)
University of Mary has 3800 students

USC is in sunny Los Angeles -- seriously multi-cultural 
University of Mary is in Bismark, ND (pop 73,112; 92.4% white)

USC is a secular state school, with all that comes with that
University of Mary is Catholic (Benedictine sisters) , at least it's co-ed

Bismark has cold snowy windy winters (Jan avg 13 degrees), hot humid summers
LA is sunny temperate CA next to the ocean

Possibility Jack could live a home for college
Betty would be in Bismark

Jack chose USC himself
Kendra seems to have chosen University of Mary for Betty

Hmmmmmm... if I didn't know better I would think that Kendra's fave child was getting a better deal by not being shunted off to Bismark.  Jack can explore and experience college (just like Kendra did at USC). Betty's world will get a whole lot smaller and more restricted. 

Hmm... is it just my suspicious mind that sees Kendra's gender roles stereotyping at work here?

USC is not a state school. It is a private university.

• I Agree 2

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic