IGNORED

Kendra Tierney: A Martyr for Catholicism All Year

anachronistic

7 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Oh absolutely. In my case you bought your skirt/sweater directly from the school but provided your own polo shirts (in approved colors), shoes, etc. It was super obvious that some kids were shopping at the Gap while kids like me had Sears and hand-me-downs. And because we were *supposed* to all look alike, it became a matter of having a better shirt rather than simply a different one.

Within my archdiocese, uniforms had to (and still have to) be purchased at a uniform store.  I don't know how to explain it, except that you couldn't buy the uniforms at any other kind of store.  Everyone at my high school had the same kind of muted dark blue jumper, the same blouse, the same kind of muted dark blue socks, and the same saddle shoes. The shoes could be purchased anywhere, and every mall store that sold shoes had at least one style of saddle shoes. And because the jumper and socks were a distinctive color, everybody looked exactly the same because everyone was wearing exactly the same.

Switching topics, isn't Rick Santorum Opus Dei?

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, JMarie said:

Within my archdiocese, uniforms had to (and still have to) be purchased at a uniform store.  I don't know how to explain it, except that you couldn't buy the uniforms at any other kind of store.  Everyone at my high school had the same kind of muted dark blue jumper, the same blouse, the same kind of muted dark blue socks, and the same saddle shoes. The shoes could be purchased anywhere, and every mall store that sold shoes had at least one style of saddle shoes. And because the jumper and socks were a distinctive color, everybody looked exactly the same because everyone was wearing exactly the same.

Switching topics, isn't Rick Santorum Opus Dei?

According to this article from the Atlantic, no:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/01/opus-dei/333178/

also can I just say— I’ve been following Kendra for five years and I love all the commentary and that she’s getting a spotlight here!

Edited by princessmahina
  • Upvote 4

@Marmion (love the name -- I have a connection to a certain Marmion) that was my first thought too. Ultra-Catholics see masturbation a gateway to all kinds of sexual sin, future infidelity/dissatisfaction in marriage, immodesty, lack of self control, etc. Many consider it adultery/being unchaste with yourself, and it's a serious offense. 

The only thing is that I don't think the children will necessarily resent the "all in the same room" thing. If they have a huge mansion, they are probably just sleeping in there, right? And maybe it gives a "summer camp" vibe. Are they sharing beds like the Duggars? 

There are Opus Dei secondary schools, I wonder why they never considered sending their children to them. I also wonder what they think of Catholic colleges. They probably think the emphasis on social justice and lack of "rules"/ general normalcy would be sin central. There is a small Benedictine college where I live that many people commute to. I could see them doing something like that for their daughters. Creighton, BC, Holy Cross, the many Loyolas, even the "mecca" Notre Dame? Probably never . . . too liberal for them. I also think due to their own caliber of education (Harvard!!) they may look down upon some of the smaller Catholic colleges. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

Ok, I don't like this woman.

However, if I had a 100 year old relative right now and I might have one last chance to see them. I know what I would do. And she did it before the lockdown. What if she wanted to see her great grandkids?

What I absolutely wouldn't do is advertise my choices on social media.

I realize every problem involved in said choice.

I also know that I haven't seen anyone in my own family in over 5 years. If something happens to any of them, like an accident, anything, any time soon, I will buy a plane ticket and I will go. I will take precautions, but it's going to happen.

I missed the deaths of 3 of my grandparents in part because I was too caught up in my own pain to admit that I couldn't get there.

I can't judge that decision.

Edited by AliceInFundyland
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 6

3 hours ago, kmachete14 said:

The only thing is that I don't think the children will necessarily resent the "all in the same room" thing. If they have a huge mansion, they are probably just sleeping in there, right? And maybe it gives a "summer camp" vibe. Are they sharing beds like the Duggars? 

The kids don't typically sleep in the same exact bed. However, the beds are literally inches apart. In the boys' area, the room is designed to look like the bunk room in a WWII submarine. They are stacked triple-tall along two walls, and have a half-curtain to provide some measure of privacy. The girls definitely have less personal space. They each have their own individual bed (at least, they did as of the last home tour I saw), but the beds are just free-standing in a large room, and there are no curtains or partitions to give any illusion of individual space. At least the boys can crawl into a personal bunk cave if they want. 

The kids have gender-specific bathrooms that are also designed for a complete lack of individual space. The boys have urinals and a stall (no door, just a wall on one side) while the girls have a room of commodes with an adjoining makeup table. 

Side note: It's worth mentioning that the boy's room is specifically designed to hold a maximum of 6 kids, and they have 5 bunks in use now. (Kendra never finds out sex ahead of time, and she was pregnant with George while the house was being renovated.) The baby after George happened to be a girl (Barbara), and Jack is theoretically leaving for parts unknown this fall. That bought them some time. However, unless her husband's fertility has been compromised by chemo, or unless they NFP themselves into menopause, Kendra could realistically produce two more sons before Bobby leaves the nest in 3-4 years. That leaves Jack in the wind. In other words, they've built a home that their adult children can't easily return to. This isn't a commentary on whether that's a good or bad thing, but it's clearly intentional.

• Upvote 6

He is Stage 4, right?

I've gathered he's in a clinical trial and because he's in medical affiliated business I assume he has the best access to care.

How many more babies could really be coming for them?

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, SolomonFundy said:

In other words, they've built a home that their adult children can't easily return to. This isn't a commentary on whether that's a good or bad thing, but it's clearly intentional.

I notice the same thing. I guess they won't welcome children and their spouses home for holiday visits? I suspect it's Kendra thinking only of what she wants and not what would be hospitable and appropriate for her children (now or in the future). I hope the kids go as far as possible from her as young adults. Sadly, their father dying will complicate that for a while but not forever. 

As usual with these fundies, I'm stumped that her personality is about as humble as Kanye West's. 

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

He is Stage 4, right?

I've gathered he's in a clinical trial and because he's in medical affiliated business I assume he has the best access to care.

I really hope a big old ZERO. 

• Upvote 8

Just saw on her instagram that she mentions a homemade "Portillo's" shake. According to an old blog post, her husband has family (did he grow up there?) in Chicago. I am not surprised to hear this.

Catholicism was (and still is) a dominant form of Christianity and community in Chicago. The weird thing is, it's not very fundamentalist (or whatever you want to call this family), more of a nice club to belong to (great schools, big communities, lots of Hispanic, Irish, Polish heritage to explore, volunteering/social justice options, hospitals, etc.). 

I wonder what spurred her husband from presumably his run-of-the-mill Chicago Catholic faith and into Opus Dei. That's probably on the blog too but my sleuthing is over for today. 

• Upvote 3

The thing is, if I met Kendra at a party, I’d totally want to be friends with her. I like her decorating style, I think her house is absolutely gorgeous (except for all of the religious stuff and the chapel) (Although I can’t find a house tour, anyone got a link?) I like how excited she gets for everyday celebrations. She dresses and cares for her kids really well, they seem to get a decent education, play sports, go on trips, etc, and she has a housekeeper and her mother so her older kids are hopefully not that parentified. She is genuinely happy and exuberant. Her posts on things like potty training and learning to read would be genuinely helpful for some people, and unlike a lot of fundies she isn’t hung up on modesty for tiny kids. Yeah, she’s really weird about the Catholic stuff, but being weird is fine, great even. Weird people are my people. Costumes and special desserts and candles and rituals? Awesome! If Kendra were to read here, I hope she’d understand that there is a lot that is attractive about her life.

But. But. But. She. Hits. Babies.

Spankings are hitting. Hitting is abuse. Study after study after study confirms this. A one year old is not capable of reason. They are not capable of controlling their own behavior the majority of the time, because they don’t have impulse control yet. They are capable of being afraid. Kendra hits her babies. I honestly don’t understand how anyone can have such a hardened heart as to do such a thing. How do you love and nurture and care for a child, then turn around and hit them for getting out of bed at nap time? In her ‘day in the life’ from years back she mentions that Anita, a preschooler at the time, got up to do something during nap time and started to cry when she saw her mother. That is NOT NORMAL. Normal kids do NOT cry when they see their mother, they are delighted because they think that maybe nap time is over then. Anita was crying because she was scared. Of her mother. It really breaks my heart. Also, I hope to heck that Frankie never reads her blog. Her hate for him comes through so clearly. Poor kid. For all of their wealth, they are all poor kids. 

• Upvote 17
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, kmachete14 said:

Just saw on her instagram that she mentions a homemade "Portillo's" shake. According to an old blog post, her husband has family (did he grow up there?) in Chicago. I am not surprised to hear this.

Catholicism was (and still is) a dominant form of Christianity and community in Chicago. The weird thing is, it's not very fundamentalist (or whatever you want to call this family), more of a nice club to belong to (great schools, big communities, lots of Hispanic, Irish, Polish heritage to explore, volunteering/social justice options, hospitals, etc.). 

I wonder what spurred her husband from presumably his run-of-the-mill Chicago Catholic faith and into Opus Dei. That's probably on the blog too but my sleuthing is over for today. 

How does any fundie get into fundamentalism? Almost all fundie families we talk about weren’t raised in fundamentalism. They all chose it for themselves and then forced it onto their children. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 6

6 hours ago, SolomonFundy said:

The kids don't typically sleep in the same exact bed. However, the beds are literally inches apart. In the boys' area, the room is designed to look like the bunk room in a WWII submarine. They are stacked triple-tall along two walls, and have a half-curtain to provide some measure of privacy. The girls definitely have less personal space. They each have their own individual bed (at least, they did as of the last home tour I saw), but the beds are just free-standing in a large room, and there are no curtains or partitions to give any illusion of individual space. At least the boys can crawl into a personal bunk cave if they want. 

The kids have gender-specific bathrooms that are also designed for a complete lack of individual space. The boys have urinals and a stall (no door, just a wall on one side) while the girls have a room of commodes with an adjoining makeup table. 

Side note: It's worth mentioning that the boy's room is specifically designed to hold a maximum of 6 kids, and they have 5 bunks in use now. (Kendra never finds out sex ahead of time, and she was pregnant with George while the house was being renovated.) The baby after George happened to be a girl (Barbara), and Jack is theoretically leaving for parts unknown this fall. That bought them some time. However, unless her husband's fertility has been compromised by chemo, or unless they NFP themselves into menopause, Kendra could realistically produce two more sons before Bobby leaves the nest in 3-4 years. That leaves Jack in the wind. In other words, they've built a home that their adult children can't easily return to. This isn't a commentary on whether that's a good or bad thing, but it's clearly intentional.

If you look on Instagram (it’s way back), you can see that the girls beds are also sort of canopy beds with curtains for privacy. Tbh I love the girls room. The boys room creeps me out a little. I would hate to be the boy in the bottom, super claustrophobic bunk. 

• Upvote 1

I wouldn’t like Kendra if I met her IRL. But I’m crazy picky about who I like and don’t like. And I know I wouldn’t like Kendra or Braggie. 

I’m sitting here thinking of who I would actually like on FJ and I’m pretty sure it’s the Richardson’s. Probably because they seem fairly accepting of people who aren’t fundie. I could actually have a conversation with them. I don’t even know what I would talk about with Braggie or Kendra besides home Decor. And that would probably be annoying because I can’t stand their personalities. 

• I Agree 1

@anachronistic I as spanked as a child, and I am a successful adult (despite or because?? the ultimate question). I NEVER plan to spank my children mostly because I think humiliation by touching someone's "private part" (who else gets to touch your butt?? only the people you ever trust the most!!) is disgusting and weird (sorry mom and dad). 

The thing is, I really thought only like 5-10 year olds got spanked. It was not until Freejinger and my discovery of the Pearls and similar ilk that I realized people were spanking BABIES. I know the research now, but at the time, my thought process was that a 5-10 year old has a better understanding of consequences, has a better memory, can distinguish basic right from wrong, can be given instructions and expected to obey them, etc. (now of course I do not think spanking appropriate for any age, and have reflected deeply on my own childhood)

Never in my life had I even heard of a BABY being spanked, nor could I imagine my mother/father, who would go out of their way to hunt us down for a spanking, actually laying a hand on a toddler or baby. The only thing I can recall of my four younger siblings being "hit" as infants is a hand slapped away from a hot item, sharp object, or about to hurt another sibling. 

While I will say that I think spanking is still alive and well in many families, I wonder . . . is spanking babies alive and well too?? Does she consider this "normal" or does she think she is "revolutionary" for doing it? For run-of-the-mill non-religious fanatic families who spank, do they consider spanking babies run-of-the-mill too? I wonder if there is a medical study or survey that distinguishes this. 

So glad someone starts this thread on FJ. The Tierneys are like a weird other universe version of what I could have been, and exactly what I imagine a smart, educated, capable of being a CEO woman would dream up for her brand of religious fanaticism (Erica Shupe-esq) . . . in a sense, if I ever went into the looney bin . . . who I would become  . . .yikes!! Much more relatable and scary than the spectacle that is the Duggars in that sense. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

18 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I wouldn’t like Kendra if I met her IRL. But I’m crazy picky about who I like and don’t like. And I know I wouldn’t like Kendra or Braggie. 

I’m sitting here thinking of who I would actually like on FJ and I’m pretty sure it’s the Richardson’s. Probably because they seem fairly accepting of people who aren’t fundie. I could actually have a conversation with them. I don’t even know what I would talk about with Braggie or Kendra besides home Decor. And that would probably be annoying because I can’t stand their personalities. 

Wealthy people who attempt to hide their “ I’m better than you in every way, shape and form” who attempt to mask or even justify their superiority in rigid religiosity reallllllllllllllly bother me. It’s as if they think the rest of us are stupid, and I don’t appreciate that at all.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

8 minutes ago, kmachete14 said:

@anachronistic I as spanked as a child, and I am a successful adult (despite or because?? the ultimate question). I NEVER plan to spank my children mostly because I think humiliation by touching someone's "private part" (who else gets to touch your butt?? only the people you ever trust the most!!) is disgusting and weird (sorry mom and dad). 

The thing is, I really thought only like 5-10 year olds got spanked. It was not until Freejinger and my discovery of the Pearls and similar ilk that I realized people were spanking BABIES. I know the research now, but at the time, my thought process was that a 5-10 year old has a better understanding of consequences, has a better memory, can distinguish basic right from wrong, can be given instructions and expected to obey them, etc. (now of course I do not think spanking appropriate for any age, and have reflected deeply on my own childhood)

Never in my life had I even heard of a BABY being spanked, nor could I imagine my mother/father, who would go out of their way to hunt us down for a spanking, actually laying a hand on a toddler or baby. The only thing I can recall of my four younger siblings being "hit" as infants is a hand slapped away from a hot item, sharp object, or about to hurt another sibling. 

While I will say that I think spanking is still alive and well in many families, I wonder . . . is spanking babies alive and well too?? Does she consider this "normal" or does she think she is "revolutionary" for doing it? For run-of-the-mill non-religious fanatic families who spank, do they consider spanking babies run-of-the-mill too? I wonder if there is a medical study or survey that distinguishes this. 

So glad someone starts this thread on FJ. The Tierneys are like a weird other universe version of what I could have been, and exactly what I imagine a smart, educated, capable of being a CEO woman would dream up for her brand of religious fanaticism (Erica Shupe-esq) . . . in a sense, if I ever went into the looney bin . . . who I would become  . . .yikes!! Much more relatable and scary than the spectacle that is the Duggars in that sense. 

I’m in my 60s and my parents did spank, occasionally, more my brothers than  me. I rarely, if ever, spanked my own kids who are now 33 and soon to be 30 ( girl/boy). What my parents were good at and I also, ashamedly, perfected was the sharp, cutting verbal comments, which can be just as bad or worse if you consider the lasting effects. I had never heard of spanking babies either, that is ludicrous. We have  a 6 YO GD who I might call sassy and stubborn, within the walls of her own home, and far more so when her parents are present. I call her 90/10. 90% per angel and 10% unmanageable. I just spent 2 months with the family and I couldn’t tell how she is disciplined because it was always done in rapid, staccato Spanish, but there were times where I thought a nice spank on the bottom might be in order. My own kids weren’t dramatic or tantrum throwers, the creator must have known that neither my husband nor I would have gracefully dealt with those behaviors. My daughter is unflappable-

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, SolomonFundy said:

It's such a bizarre use of space. If/ when they try to sell this house I feel like it's going to end up on one of those weird real estate blogs-- "you have to see this freaky mansion with a gothic chapel, submarine bunk room, and door-less public restroom that just listed in CA!"

1 hour ago, kmachete14 said:

Eh, I wouldn't read that much into the fact that he's from Chicago-- pick any city in the US and you'll find a sizable community of perfectly normal white-ethnic or Latino Catholics, whereas the hardcore ones don't really have a concentrated geographic origin, unless you count a handful of small intentional communities like that Domino's pizza guy's town in Florida. I know at least one Latin Mass-attending weirdo Catholic in Chicago and she's not from a family of them or anything, just an oddball.

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, SolomonFundy said:

This just squicks me out -- no privacy for the girls at all -- ever. Betty is changing her ...um.. feminine protection in front of her sisters.  Yes they are girls, but dang ... a moment alone might be nice for that.

Kendra and hubby deliberately decided to get pregnant with #10 after his latest diagnosis (this is his 2nd one in about 10-12 years), They knew it was Stage 4.   Obviously the chemo / whatever didn't affect his fertility.

I say deliberately decided to get pregnant in that Kendra blogged that since they were always open to life and never ever never never not even once used any form of NFP they weren't going to start now so it didn't matter what his diagnosis was.  She wrote about having a talk with her oldest about his thoughts on whether she should have another baby.  She said his answer was 'babies are cool'. 

She did admit later she was already pregnant when they talked so I guess the answer to him if he had said no to babies would have been too bad, already doing it. Since Kendra is 40-41, I suspect she'll have 2 more children at least. She seems very fertile.  I think #11 will be announced before Barbara is a year old.

Kendra doesn't really admit this, but she has a full time housekeeper and her children doing all those chores. One of her rules is that children must always be doing something to help the family -- i.e., chores or sibling parenting.  There has been pervasive discussion  (based on some  personal knowledge of her) on another forum that she's also had a nanny for years and years but this is not 100% confirmed. However, given her blog, twitter, FB, printables business, speaking engagements, and book authoring the idea she's doing all that and parenting and homeschooling stretches credulity.

Hubby was raised in Chicago, Kendra in So. Cal.  He seems to have a non-fundie Catholic family, as does Kendra, but they both went hard core (she influenced by him). Kendra's sister (only sibling) is now a Protestant.  Kendra seems to come from money, hubby makes big bank (and always has), so I assume they are financially  prepared if Kendra has to become a single mom. She has not worked outside the home since right before Jack was born.

Edited by Red Hair, Black Dress
  • Upvote 7
  • WTF 1

37 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

One of her rules is that children must always be doing something to help the family -- i.e., chores or sibling parenting

Ugh, how awful. No downtime! No daydreaming!

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 5

10 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

He is Stage 4, right?

As I understand it (he gets into a lot of detail on his blog), his cancer is basically "stable". There isn't much of a chance of it ever going away completely. The ideal outcome for him is to continuously monitor and manage treatment. He could live for decades more.

Kendra is 41, I believe. She could realistically have two more, assuming she keeps pace. She usually manages about a 20 month gap.

10 hours ago, fluffy said:

I notice the same thing. I guess they won't welcome children and their spouses home for holiday visits? I suspect it's Kendra thinking only of what she wants and not what would be hospitable and appropriate for her children (now or in the future).

My hot take is that the Tierney Gold Mines will provide when Kendra decides in 10 years to remodel the mansion. 

3 hours ago, princessmahina said:

If you look on Instagram (it’s way back), you can see that the girls beds are also sort of canopy beds with curtains for privacy. Tbh I love the girls room. 

I must have missed the addition of the curtains! That's a step above the original arrangement.

2 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

It's such a bizarre use of space. If/ when they try to sell this house I feel like it's going to end up on one of those weird real estate blogs-- "you have to see this freaky mansion with a gothic chapel, submarine bunk room, and door-less public restroom that just listed in CA!"

This made me laugh in a full-teeth, coffee-spitting manner. If I knew nothing about Kendra or her Empire of Catholicking, I'd look at a home with these features and just assume that it had been a highly themed adult sex club.

47 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

I say deliberately decided to get pregnant in that Kendra blogged that since they were always open to life and never ever never never not even once used any form of NFP they weren't going to start now so it didn't matter what his diagnosis was.  She wrote about having a talk with her oldest about his thoughts on whether she should have another baby.  She said his answer was 'babies are cool'. 

She did admit later she was already pregnant when they talked so I guess the answer to him if he had said no to babies would have been too bad, already doing it. Since Kendra is 40-41, I suspect she'll have 2 more children at least. She seems very fertile.  I think #11 will be announced before Barbara is a year old.

They actually did use NFP for a solid chunk of their marriage. After Anita, for what she has said were financial considerations, they even avoided pregnancy for about 2 years. She wrote a blog post about it years ago, though I don't know if it survived the website migration. "Cranky Frankie" was the grudge baby born when her husband finally caved after the couple of years of pressure. Back when they were doing NFP and charting, her husband was the one who kept track of it, and she was pretty blatant about the fact that she was the one who demanded that they just stop because having a baby was easier than the stress on their marriage from abstaining from sex. 

Her babies come roughly every 20 months. She will probably announce a few months after the first birthday. Almost certainly before the end of the year, though.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 5

15 hours ago, kmachete14 said:

@Marmion (love the name -- I have a connection to a certain Marmion) that was my first thought too. Ultra-Catholics see masturbation a gateway to all kinds of sexual sin, future infidelity/dissatisfaction in marriage, immodesty, lack of self control, etc. Many consider it adultery/being unchaste with yourself, and it's a serious offense. 

There are Opus Dei secondary schools, I wonder why they never considered sending their children to them. I also wonder what they think of Catholic colleges. They probably think the emphasis on social justice and lack of "rules"/ general normalcy would be sin central. There is a small Benedictine college where I live that many people commute to. I could see them doing something like that for their daughters. Creighton, BC, Holy Cross, the many Loyolas, even the "mecca" Notre Dame? Probably never . . . too liberal for them. I also think due to their own caliber of education (Harvard!!) they may look down upon some of the smaller Catholic colleges. 

If regular ol' Catholic colleges are too liberal for them, in other words not batshit crazy, they could consider Christendom College in Front Royal, Virginia.  I knew the mother of one of the founders and yep, he was batshit fundie Catholic.  What was interesting was that his dad was atheist and that his mom, while pretty conservative herself, also practiced and taught yoga.  I wonder what he thought about those two things.

• Thank You 3

30 minutes ago, SolomonFundy said:

If I knew nothing about Kendra or her Empire of Catholicking, I'd look at a home with these features and just assume that it had been a highly themed adult sex club.

In a strange way, this is actually the case since Kendra & her husband are apparently the only ones having sex in that house. 

Can you imagine being a romantic partner of one of the kids, being taken home with them to meet the 'rents, and seeing that wacked out fake chapel? Yikes. 

• Upvote 6

As Kendra got pregnant on her honeymoon I guess the NFP came later.  I seem to remember she said they began married life deciding not to use NFP (hence Jack 9.5 months after the wedding) and then Kendra grudgingly agreed to it for a time several children later.  She has been very up front that she finds it extremely difficult to abstain and not jump sexy hubby's sexy bones whenever she wants.  I don't recall if she mentioned hubby had a problem abstaining, so I think the strain on their marriage was all on her part.

She admitted some time back that she kept after hubby All. The. Time. until he agreed to forgo any type of NFP at all. I find it..... karmic perhaps? .... that "Cranky Frankie" is the child after Kendra badgered hubby into giving up NFP. Not that I think Frankie is cranky at all and I think it's absolutely vile she calls him that.  She really doesn't like him -- so evident on the blog.

I could swear Kendra blogged that hubby's original melanoma bout went away and he was pronounced cured.  Then it came back this time as Stage 4. I've only ever known one person who had melanoma. His was also Stage 4 (he was  also from CA);  he did every treatment known -- chemo, clinical trials, infusions, etc, etc.  He was stable for about a year, monitored all the time, managing his care, but then an abrupt downturn and he succumbed. I For him it was slightly over 2 years from diagnosis to the end.  For all those children's sakes' I hope Kendra's hubby has a better outcome.

• Upvote 4

21 hours ago, JMarie said:

Has anybody EVER noticed that no matter the diocese, it's only the FEMALE uniforms that have to be purchased at a specialty uniform store? It was that way when I attended Catholic school with one exception. Parents could purchase the FABRIC for the uniform I wore and the very specific pattern for the uniform jumper, which basically was the same money, but more work, because it had to be made. At the time, it was Bendinger Brothers. Anyone else? (ArchBalt)

By the time my daughter got to Catholic high school, there were so many pieces that had to be purchased! Blazer, dress shirts, regular shirts, (they had the school logo on them, only place you could get it.) skirts, sweater, gym uniform, socks... and when the kids were smaller, we did a lot of shopping at the school's used uniform sale. However, the used uniforms at the high school tended to have yellow armpit stains in the shirts, and the skirts tended to be grody after  the girls wearing the same two skirts for four years... Now it's Flynn and O'Hara.

MY SON, however... Blazers. Khakis. dress shoes. dress shirts. Black slacks/ white dress shirt for band. Ties. Socks.. all available for purchase (on sale even) at Kohl's, Sears, Goodwill, what have you. All we had to buy from the school was the gym uniform. Not only that, but as long as it was a dress blazer, it could look like the one Will Smith wore in Fresh Prince... the socks could be wild, too, as long as they were dress style socks, not crew socks. The boys have always had even more freedoms than the girls, even in clothing choices.

Edited by Four is Enough
  • Upvote 4

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic