IGNORED

Kendra Tierney: A Martyr for Catholicism All Year

anachronistic

On 5/18/2020 at 8:43 PM, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

It's fairly well known that the Air Force Academy is run by evangelicals and they make it rather... uncomfortable for non Christians/ non-fundies

Yep that's one of the big reasons I didn't go to the Air Force Academy. My dad is a full bird colonel, he was promoted to general but was military intelligence and my mom was a foreign national at the time. They ended up separating but my dad was close to retirement age.

I was born hard of hearing and was still recruited by the Air Force Academy and offered admission and everything. It started with sports but I finally had to tell them I wouldn't be able to pass the physical. It was just something that never came up until they were super into the recruitment process. I was accepted into Harvard and went to Brown instead.

This is the first time I've humble bragged about all that on FJ but something about this Kendra woman makes me want to rub it in her face. Your super perfect Opus Dei Most Catholic Ever first born male couldn't get into the schools that I  super liberal, non white indigenous, crappy Catholic female did.

I'm sure they'd bitch and moan about affirmative action and what have you. When my dad was in the army starting in the 1960s there was no affirmative action and even as 100% kanaka maoli, he was a full bird colonel, higher than Kendra's super privileged, super conservative, right kind of Catholic hubby.

Ha.

• Upvote 16
  • Downvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 4

On 5/19/2020 at 3:04 PM, ADoyle90815 said:

I'm waiting for Kendra's rant about this: Pandemic will affect Communion rituals in US.

I just saw this on my Facebook feed, and thought of her.

What I also don't understand that if she's so big about doing things the way "they used to be done" as far as Catholicism, with the saint days, with boys 10-12 getting out of the sphere of women... how can she be about communion all the time?

I was raised cradle Catholic but with one of college level history programs studying Middle Ages/Early Renaissance Europe, while services used to happen around the clock, actually taking communion was something that happened seldomnly. Like certain royals were considered whacko religious almost for taking Communion monthly. Taking it weekly like many do now is more of a modern invention.

Then again it makes perfect sense, I've never met a fundie who is consistent with anything but the way they want to do things and suddenly that's the way everyone should do things because "God" said so.

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

On 5/25/2020 at 5:35 PM, zee_four said:

how can she be about communion all the time?
I was raised cradle Catholic but with one of college level history programs studying Middle Ages/Early Renaissance Europe, while services used to happen around the clock, actually taking communion was something that happened seldomnly. Like certain royals were considered whacko religious almost for taking Communion monthly. Taking it weekly like many do now is more of a modern invention.

henry VIII was known to attend Mass three and four times a day and take communion. Bit of hyper-Catholicism. 

But I agree. Weekly or even daily communion would be unheard of..

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

48 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

henry VIII was known to attend Mass three and four times a day and take communion. Bit of hyper-Catholicism. 

He just liked the little wafers and wine ;)

I’m kidding. Those wafers were probably bland. I’ve never had one because I grew up baptist. Now our wafers were amazing! They were made by a bakery I worked at and they were so buttery. When we weren’t busy at the bakery I would grab a handful of the communion wafers and snack away. I was even a dirty heathen back then!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

He just liked the little wafers and wine ;)

I’m kidding. Those wafers were probably bland. I’ve never had one because I grew up baptist. Now our wafers were amazing! They were made by a bakery I worked at and they were so buttery. When we weren’t busy at the bakery I would grab a handful of the communion wafers and snack away. I was even a dirty heathen back then!

As someone who has had the traditional communion wafers growing up , I can tell you that going by taste , they seem to be of the same substance as the cone part of an ice cream cone .  And furthermore , in the churches I grew up in communion was only held one a month , at the very most .  As an aside , before watching this one video , I hadn't known that Catholics believe that the communicant is not to chew the host , but rather let it dissolve in the saliva of the tongue .  Here , according to this standard , I had been desecrating the wafers without even knowing it .  

Spoiler

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Marmion said:

As someone who has had the traditional communion wafers growing up , I can tell you that going by taste , they seem to be of the same substance as the cone part of an ice cream cone .  And furthermore , in the churches I grew up in communion was only held one a month , at the very most .  As an aside , before watching this one video , I hadn't known that Catholics believe that the communicant is not to chew the host , but rather let it dissolve in the saliva of the tongue .  Here , according to this standard , I had been desecrating the wafers without even knowing it .  

Reveal hidden contents

I knew not to chew the wafers, as my Gran threw a near shit fit when I chewed one once at church. ??

Two secrets about me, I don't know why, but I liked the weird, bland wafers, as they were so weird and bland, like oaty, ice cream cones or something. Also, I was such a crappy Catholic as a kid, due to a misunderstanding, I totally screwed up and took communion without anyone in my class or family knowing, before my First Communion. Opps, guess it's good, I never much cared to be Catholic, so no need to repent.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, tankgirl said:

Also, I was such a crappy Catholic as a kid, due to a misunderstanding, I totally screwed up and took communion without anyone in my class or family knowing, before my First Communion.

Oh wow .  I wonder how one could manage to do this , as in my experience , the wafers and tiny cups of grape juice respectively are either placed in containers , like these  

Spoiler

AUT_RS130__50125.1404402603.356.300.jpg?

Spoiler

005018716?$FigureLarge$

, and distributed by ushers , or hand out at the front of the sanctuary , to all those lined up to receive the Eucharist .  I wouldn't have thought that a person could have helped themselves to it unnoticed .  I remember that the first time that I witnessed a communion my mother forbade me to come with her to the front pews to participate , as she had thought that I was too young .  So I had to remain seated in the pew , all alone , and wait until their ritual was through .  Eventually , when I was around 8 , and in second grade , after feeling left out for so long , I asked my mother if I were finally old enough to take part , and after I had assured her that I had accepted Jesus as my personal Lord , and Savior , she relented .   So yeah , among evangelicals there isn't really a formal first communion . The child's parents will give permission , upon such time as the child is believed to have attained both the age of accountability , and a saving knowledge of Christ .  

• Upvote 1

Now I’m getting all nostalgic for the tiny cups of grape juice and buttery communion wafers. I’ll just have to go buy my own. Because there’s no way I’m becoming a baptist again!

• Haha 5

My grandpa was one of those Catholics who tried to go to Mass every day, and took Communion every time he went. It was only after he retired that he actually went daily, as while he was devout, he wasn't quite as fundie as Kendra is. In fact, going by my dad's family's experience, I wouldn't be surprised if her children decide to quit going to daily Mass when they move out, and decide to have fewer children if they even get married at all. I'm saying that as my dad is basically atheist, and my other uncles only go to church for weddings or funerals, and not all of them even take Communion when they do go. I only have one brother, and 3 cousins on that side of the family, instead of having nearly 20 first cousins like you might see in large Catholic families. My grandparents never even thought of having a private chapel in their house, as it wasn't considered necessary.

If my grandpa had lived to see this pandemic, he would have been perfectly fine with not going to Mass at all during the quarantine, as he would have understood it was safer for everyone to stay home. My grandma wasn't the type to go to Mass every day, as she was fine with it being something she did on Sundays or on other days of obligation.

Edited by ADoyle90815
  • Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Marmion said:

Oh wow .  I wonder how one could manage to do this , as in my experience , the wafers and tiny cups of grape juice respectively are either placed in containers , like these [removed] , and distributed by ushers , or hand out at the front of the sanctuary , to all those lined up to receive the Eucharist .  I wouldn't have thought that a person could have helped themselves to it unnoticed . 

(I just clipped the portion of your post that applied to my response, so please pardon the hasty chop job.)

I'm not sure how @tankgirl 's situation played out, but I've also received communion erroneously. I'm not a Catholic, and I had zero awareness of proper conduct or form in a Catholic service as a child. However, I had a good friend who was a cradle Catholic, with whom i spent the night and attended Sunday Mass occasionally. (We were about 12-13.) At least twice, I lined up and received communion with her family. I had no idea it was taboo in any way. My friend said something the second or third time, but, her comment amounted to "Oh, can you take communion?"  I think I may even have done it a time or two after that, mainly because I felt awkward waiting alone on the bench for her to return, and because I equated it to taking communion at the Methodist church my folks occasionally attended, which I'd done many times.  

At no point was anything said by an adult, nor did the priest even hesitate. I don't remember much about it, except they received on the tongue, so I just shuffled up to the rail, stuck my tongue out, and waited my turn. Granted, her dad was pretty oblivious in general, but it just seemed to be a non-issue to all concerned. I was much older when I realized that I'd made a hugely disrespectful error, and that it's considered literal sacrilege by devout Catholics. The church they attended was TINY, and barely held 40 people at full capacity. However, it was also very well attended, resulting in a constant rota of services at various times during the day and night to meet demand. I can only assume that everyone present just assumed that I normally attended at a different time.

As a much older adult now, I deeply regret that, however unintentionally, my ignorance allowed such a huge breach of respect to occur. However, if you're curious as to how it's possible for an ineligible recipient to receive communion anyway, this is one example. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

My mother, a devout Spiritualist/Pagan who believes in absolutely everything including Christian and Buddhist beliefs, takes great delight in taking communion everywhere she can, including at Catholic services. She sees the Divine and Sacred in everything and doesn’t see it as disrespectful because Jesus loves everyone and it’s all the same God and God loves everyone too and is happy when people do religious stuff, whatever that is, and it’s not as if her taking Catholic communion at the occasional wedding or funeral hurts anyone. I’ve never seen it as a big deal, nor have any of her catholic friends, but with Kendra I do see her taking huge offense. That’s a weird concept to me. Does she think the Catholic god is different from the Christian god? I wonder.

I’m a strict atheist with 2 exceptions. St Anthony for lost things, which does work sometimes, and the Parking God. (Parking god, parking god, please be good to me.) - I made that up. I’ve had much less need for the Parking God since I got my HP placard, though. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 5

When I was in middle school, I had just ended my "God can talk to me phase" of being devout Catholic child (LOL) and was interested in all things National Geographic and thus world religions. I loved going to church/temple with my friends of other denominations. Imagine my surprise at the grape juice served in Dixie cups at the Presbyterian church and the delicious loaf of bread (I forget the name now) broken at the end of a Jewish service. Despite the fact I "knew" that communion was the LITERAL body of Christ, I never quite forgot that the church chose such a bland way to deliver it, hah! Anyways, it wasn't long before I was full blown atheist anyways. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Caroline said:

I know Catholics who go to mass every day, and every time they go they take communion.

Spanish Catholics take communion at every mass. It's very uncommon going to mass daily, but if someone does it, can take communion daily and is be considered correct. ALL churches offer communion in every mass. I come from a Catholic background and as far as I know, a mass without communion is something imposible to find here. 

Also most people take communion without previous confession. The confession part is very rare nowadays. But the truth is that the majority of attendants are "cafeteria believers" (is it the expression?). 

1 hour ago, anachronistic said:

I’m a strict atheist with 2 exceptions. St Anthony for lost things, which does work sometimes, and the Parking God. (Parking god, parking god, please be good to me.) - I made that up. I’ve had much less need for the Parking God since I got my HP placard, though

Loooove it! But in Spain, Santa Elena is who finds lost things and San Antonio finds boyfriends for single women!!! So true haha! Santa Barbara helps with storms. All of these I learned from my grandma and despite not believing that, it makes me feel so emotional!

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

@Marmion, your pic of the tray with the communion wine cups reminds me of something that happened at our UU church last fall: We had a joint service with our sister congregation at their church building, which they rent from and share with a Congregational church. Our minister had a “cornbread and cider” communion.* The two elements represented foods exchanged by Native Americans and English immigrants. The service had a huge social justice focus. People on our worship team saw the communion trays we were borrowing from the Congregationalists for the service and had no idea what they were! I did, having grown up going to the Baptist, Congregationalist, and Methodist churches of friends and relatives.

*We UUs occasionally have communion services in which the elements have spiritual significance: bread communion (in which people bring homemade bread to share), flower communion (in which everyone brings a flower and we swap them), chocolate communion (celebrating sweetness and love), water communion (the first service after summer, where everyone brings a little water from home or travel; one of our ministers used to sterilize the water and save it for use in baby dedications, another had us sprinkle it on plants in our meditation garden). Of course, being UUs, we always have alternatives to share for vegans and those with allergies!

• Thank You 1
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, anachronistic said:

I’m a strict atheist with 2 exceptions. St Anthony for lost things, which does work sometimes, and the Parking God. (Parking god, parking god, please be good to me.) - I made that up. I’ve had much less need for the Parking God since I got my HP placard, though. 

One of the Growing Up Catholic books suggested “Hail Mary, full of grace, help me find a parking space.” :pb_lol: 

• Haha 11

22 hours ago, Marmion said:

Hide contents

I always managed to stick mine to the roof of my mouth.  Dry as dust, they are!

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

23 hours ago, Marmion said:

Oh wow .  I wonder how one could manage to do this , as in my experience , the wafers and tiny cups of grape juice respectively are either placed in containers , like these  

Hide contents

AUT_RS130__50125.1404402603.356.300.jpg?

Hide contents

005018716?$FigureLarge$

, and distributed by ushers , or hand out at the front of the sanctuary , to all those lined up to receive the Eucharist .  I wouldn't have thought that a person could have helped themselves to it unnoticed .  I remember that the first time that I witnessed a communion my mother forbade me to come with her to the front pews to participate , as she had thought that I was too young .  So I had to remain seated in the pew , all alone , and wait until their ritual was through .  Eventually , when I was around 8 , and in second grade , after feeling left out for so long , I asked my mother if I were finally old enough to take part , and after I had assured her that I had accepted Jesus as my personal Lord , and Savior , she relented .   So yeah , among evangelicals there isn't really a formal first communion . The child's parents will give permission , upon such time as the child is believed to have attained both the age of accountability , and a saving knowledge of Christ .  

Nothing so exciting, it was a Catholic church, briefly we went to the kids service they offered briefly, priest said to come up for communion, I thought he mentioned those getting ready to do First Communion,  which is a HUGE to do in the Catholic faith, so I joined up and found out after I mixed things up. We got proper wine and the funky Catholic wafers,  same as the adults had too. Didn't steal anything, but made a big old Ceremony rather pointless, later made even less important as I did not stay Christian of any type.

• Thank You 1

On 5/27/2020 at 2:50 PM, Marmion said:

As an aside , before watching this one video , I hadn't known that Catholics believe that the communicant is not to chew the host , but rather let it dissolve in the saliva of the tongue .  Here , according to this standard , I had been desecrating the wafers without even knowing it .  

Yet another thing made up by the little old ladies or over zealous parishioners.

According to Catholic.com and my mom who taught our religious ed:

Question:

May the Holy Eucharist be chewed or is it to be allowed to dissolve in the mouth?

Answer:

The host may be chewed or simply permitted to dissolve in one’s mouth. Before the advent of modern hosts, the host would have been more bread-like, and for centuries Christians would have had to chew the Eucharist. In the past few centuries the modern host has evolved, and Christians who are uneasy with the idea of chewing the Real Presence can opt to simply let the host dissolve in their mouths.

There is no directive from the Church on this matter. Either way is an acceptable manner of receiving the Eucharist.

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

21 hours ago, ADoyle90815 said:

My grandparents never even thought of having a private chapel in their house, as it wasn't considered necessary.

I have read , in Jessica Mitford's memoir , " Hons And Rebels " , that her family had their own private chapel , and vicar .  And appantly , the custom has been catching on state side as well .  https://www.huffpost.com/entry/private-chapels-ultimate-spiritual-accessory_n_1079752   Speaking of the Mitford family , I think that they would give a number of the families we snark on here a run for their money .   https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29351187    

Spoiler

Edited by Marmion
  • I Agree 3

On 5/27/2020 at 1:34 PM, Four is Enough said:

He would have made a great fundie. He was hyper religious and had no problem going through women. His religious beliefs also went back and forth from Catholic with Catherine, reform with Anne, back to more traditional with Jane, Kitty Howard was just a child and then Catherine Parr was raised traditional in the north but became one of the leading figures of the reform religion which was wishy washy with Henry towards the end. Whatever he believed at the time whether it was contradictory or not, was the law.

Total fundie alpha male! (Also glad there's another Tudor England history dork, I love that period and the proceeding War of the Roses 15th century time. I'm well versed on Edward, Mary then of course Elizabeth's reign from school but it never really did it for me like the earlier time periods)

Also Kendra has nothing on those old school Catholics. Where is her hair shirt? Maybe they make a super trendy Pintresty version? I know I'm joking but from what I've heard about Opus Dei it's shockingly close to the truth. Her husband being so involved in that scares me, I wonder about the level of physical penance and punishment going on behind the perfectly curated 'Gram.

• Upvote 7

7 hours ago, zee_four said:

Also Kendra has nothing on those old school Catholics. Where is her hair shirt? Maybe they make a super trendy Pintresty version? I know I'm joking but from what I've heard about Opus Dei it's shockingly close to the truth. Her husband being so involved in that scares me, I wonder about the level of physical penance and punishment going on behind the perfectly curated 'Gram.

hair shirts, self-flaggelating... the possibilities are endless... I had to laugh thinking of the Simplicity version of a hair shirt!!

• Haha 3

@Four is Enough Don't know about the hair shirts, but Opus Dei does the self -flagellation/ flesh mortification (cilice= a spiked garter).

Not everyone, and the practice is kept rather quiet, but the more.... ummmm... devout members seem to adhere to the practice. 

• Disgust 1
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 3

On 5/28/2020 at 4:21 PM, zeebaneighba said:

I always managed to stick mine to the roof of my mouth.  Dry as dust, they are!

They also stick to retainers (post braces)

On 5/22/2020 at 6:38 AM, therulesofjinx said:

I don't agree with a lot of what Kendra puts out on her blog or social media, but she does allow the kids to do stuff outside the family. She has posted about making dinner to take to the ball field on game nights and in her Christmas card post she mentioned that the three oldest boys participated in sports and that Betty was a camp counselor and candy striper and founded the Yell Crew at school- so they do at least get some time away from the family to interact with their peers (although it is peers from Kendra approved schools/organizations). It seems like the kids don't get a whole lot of interaction outside the family until they start going to high school/middle school.

I honestly thought they were doing a riverdale dress up thing with Betty doing yell squad like that. I was wrong very very wrong. that's so demeaning cheerleading is very active and sport but yell squad takes what makes it  active and  self esteem building and make it solely to cheer on the boys like good Catholic girls do.  yuck.

On 5/16/2020 at 6:39 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

My hometown is fairly poor and rural so there were always doors missing from bathroom stalls in all of our schools. In elementary school, remember everyone would laugh at this one girl that would use a stall without a door because she just didn’t care about privacy. But everyone else cared. Therefore there was always a line for the stall with a door on it. I bet the doors would be fixed almost immediately nowadays. But back then, I guess it wasn’t high on the priority list. 

my inner city high schools  were like this. broken stalls crumbling steps....  but no moneys. colorado is second to last in the  us in k through twelve funding sadly.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic