IGNORED

Kendra Tierney: A Martyr for Catholicism All Year

anachronistic

35 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

The chocolate, mint, and licorice flavors are the strongest...

Licorice is of the devil.  Just saying.

• Haha 2
  • I Agree 5

Licorice is always of the devil -- especially licorice jelly beans.

Strangely though, I like Pastis/ Anisette/ Ouzo over ice. Must be the alcohol

• Haha 2
  • I Agree 2

5 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

And, sadly, it really does have an adverse effect on blood pressure, especially for olds.

High-quality licorice always used to be my  2nd choice for treats when good, dark (70%+ cacao) chocolate wasn't available. Alas, I  had to give it up due to its deleterious effects on BP. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 3

4 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

And, sadly, it really does have an adverse effect on blood pressure, especially for olds.

High-quality licorice always used to be my  2nd choice for treats when good, dark (70%+ cacao) chocolate wasn't available. Alas, I  had to give it up due to its deleterious effects on BP. 

Dark chocolate is my favorite treat in the world.  

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Don't be fooled by the purple!

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, zeebaneighba said:

Don't be fooled by the purple!

Purple is grape...and grape is made by the happiness of angels.  Except in Necco wafers where a quick google said it was clove?

Good God, no one needs clove candy.  I'm glad I'm off the stuff.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

2 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Purple is grape...and grape is made by the happiness of angels.  Except in Necco wafers where a quick google said it was clove?

Good God, no one needs clove candy.  I'm glad I'm off the stuff.

I meant the Necco wafer purple.  It's vile.

• I Agree 4

4 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

When i was a smol seafilly, I used to love to  the market and get a pennorth worth of licorice root. Lasted me for nearly a week.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Adams clove gum anyone?

I upvoted because I love this fun conversation and you're contribution to it...but not for clove gum which sounds like an abomination.

• Haha 3

clove candy is the worst.

But Necco wafers are the BEST.  They were for playing cards with my sisters, I forget which was what 'denomination' of $.
(My 'gambling is the devil's work' mom was NOT especially happy to find her kids playing necco wafer blackjack in the back of the RV.
Mom has mellowed)

• Haha 9
  • Love 1

I, too, have had to give up licorice.. I long for the days of gobbling AllSorts candy.. but since I can't stop till the candy's gone, i must never bring the stuff into the house....

Clove candy, NO.

Twizzlers, not Red Vines. Red Twizzlers and chocolate ones.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

I, too, have had to give up licorice.. I long for the days of gobbling AllSorts candy.. but since I can't stop till the candy's gone, i must never bring the stuff into the house....

Clove candy, NO.

Twizzlers, not Red Vines. Red Twizzlers and chocolate ones.

I'll see your Twizzlers not Red Vines and raise you a pack of Razzles (it's a candy, it's a gum!) - original recipe from the 70's not the abomination they have out now.

• Upvote 2

Ugh, I hate Twizzlers and licorice candy. So gross.

Black jellybeans are the absolute best, however. My grandma and I were the only ones in the family who liked them so we'd share those.

(In fact, with cheap jellybeans I really only like the black ones. Jelly Bellies I do like, however. In college getting a small bag of Jelly Belly beans was a really special treat we'd get when we went to the mall.)

• Upvote 1

Clove gum is a super breath freshener -- much better than chewing actual cloves.

Which you know -- Imma just sayin' -- is something a teenager might have done if coming home after having a drink or 2 at 19 before being legally old enough to drink  

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, Alisamer said:

Black jellybeans are the absolute best

I agree! I love black jelly beans!

• I Agree 2

• 4 weeks later...

Kendra and crew went on vacation to the PNW (did see a few masks) and broke her arm. A few days later, they had a combined July birthday party for Nana and two of the daughters. Kendra admits that not only did they have a combined birthday party, but also that the daughters planned it themselves. I know she has a broken arm but shouldn't it already have been planned, considering Covid times at least? Kendra gets photoshoots and nice clothes and a house the way she wants it, but her kids have to plan their own birthday party. Got it. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

7 hours ago, neurogirl said:

Kendra and crew went on vacation to the PNW (did see a few masks) and broke her arm. A few days later, they had a combined July birthday party for Nana and two of the daughters. Kendra admits that not only did they have a combined birthday party, but also that the daughters planned it themselves. I know she has a broken arm but shouldn't it already have been planned, considering Covid times at least? Kendra gets photoshoots and nice clothes and a house the way she wants it, but her kids have to plan their own birthday party. Got it. 

I don't feel super snarky about this, maybe because I've been immersed in the Rodrigues wedding weirdness for the last few days and at least Kendra feeds her kids.

Sure, she could have been better organised but she had to at least design or pay for the decorations (which look nice). Better than Jill's craptastic bargain bin wedding decorations that she supposedly had a year to organise. Plus 10 kids, camping, shoulder surgery, it seems like Kendra is a little over her head. Which is her fauly because she always has to try too hard.

Kendra is such a weird fundie for snark because she actually ticks the boxes on a lot of things that we snark on other fundies for, e.g. feeding kids plenty of food, higher education, playing sports outside of home, etc..

I still think there is PLENTY to snark on, the holier than thou uber-Catholicism, the Opus Dei immersion, the COVID opinions, but I feel her kids at least have a fighting chance with a real education and a chance to move out of home.

Anyway, as I said I might have spent too much time focusing on the Rodriguii and everyone, barring criminals, look better.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

16 hours ago, neurogirl said:

Kendra and crew went on vacation to the PNW (did see a few masks) and broke her arm.

One of the kids had to go to the hospital, too- looks like Frankie in the picture- possible stitches. I can't tell. Two separate ER trips on vacation during a pandemic...I understand that things happen, but two ER trips seems like a lot.

Also, Kendra broke her elbow falling out of their RV/Camper. Ouch. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 5

Kendra, Braggie... People with enormous houses and plenty of outdoor space, choose camping as vacation. Why? camping is funny, but not with 10 kids! The lack of privacy and space, the difficulties for cooking, etc. Madness!!!

• Upvote 6

• 2 months later...

Has this already been mentioned?  Is Kendra also a member of the organization Amy C Barrett is part of ?  People of Praise?  Sounds scary.  I remember Kendra mentioning on her blog that she wants her daughter to go to Saint Mary's College in a faraway state.  Saint Mary's is on the list of charismatic Catholic colleges.  Scary stuff.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

Is Kendra also a member of the organization Amy C Barrett is part of ?

Isn't Kendra a member of Opus Dei or at least supports them? Also a fundie Catholic cult but different than Barrett's People of Power.

I did think of Kendra when Barrett's nomination was announced! 

Edited by hoipolloi
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Caroline said:

Saint Mary's is on the list of charismatic Catholic colleges.  Scary stuff.

A charismatic Catholic college. "Charismatic" is a term I see usually being used when it comes to Pentecostals so I'm kind of confused now.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, ophelia said:

A charismatic Catholic college. "Charismatic" is a term I see usually being used when it comes to Pentecostals so I'm kind of confused now.

they're Catholics doing a whole bunch of the things you'd normally associate with pentecostalism ie speaking in tongues. People of Praise is technically ecumenical even though it is mostly Roman Catholics. I have seen other Catholics claim that groups like that were formed/encouraged by protestants in the hopes of converting/ encouraging people towards pentecostalism or protestantism, but I have no idea where that falls on the truth-conspiracy theory scale.

My impression of Kendra is that she's much more Trad (does anyone know if she goes to Latin Mass? I know her parish is conservative and they don't appear to have altar girls/ Kendra has spoken against them) which has some crossover in terms of conservatism and weirdness but is the opposite liturgically (and aesthetically lbr). I'm actually surprised Kendra doesn't do any head covering but again, I guess that doesn't fit the aesthetic.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

For some reason I thought that they were Opus Dei but I guess not as I can’t find any evidence.

They’re the kind of Catholics who appear really nice and probably are really nice in the outside. Their children are always perfectly turned out and well behaved. This is because they hurt the children if they step out of line. It’s horrible and she is repugnant.

• Upvote 4

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic