IGNORED

Kendra Tierney: A Martyr for Catholicism All Year

anachronistic

39 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

Now it's Flynn and O'Hara

Yes! Flynn and O'Hara! Every single August.

1 hour ago, Four is Enough said:

Has anybody EVER noticed that no matter the diocese, it's only the FEMALE uniforms that have to be purchased at a specialty uniform store? It was that way when I attended Catholic school with one exception. Parents could purchase the FABRIC for the uniform I wore and the very specific pattern for the uniform jumper, which basically was the same money, but more work, because it had to be made. At the time, it was Bendinger Brothers. Anyone else? (ArchBalt)

By the time my daughter got to Catholic high school, there were so many pieces that had to be purchased! Blazer, dress shirts, regular shirts, (they had the school logo on them, only place you could get it.) skirts, sweater, gym uniform, socks... and when the kids were smaller, we did a lot of shopping at the school's used uniform sale. However, the used uniforms at the high school tended to have yellow armpit stains in the shirts, and the skirts tended to be grody after  the girls wearing the same two skirts for four years... Now it's Flynn and O'Hara.

MY SON, however... Blazers. Khakis. dress shoes. dress shirts. Black slacks/ white dress shirt for band. Ties. Socks.. all available for purchase (on sale even) at Kohl's, Sears, Goodwill, what have you. All we had to buy from the school was the gym uniform. Not only that, but as long as it was a dress blazer, it could look like the one Will Smith wore in Fresh Prince... the socks could be wild, too, as long as they were dress style socks, not crew socks. The boys have always had even more freedoms than the girls, even in clothing choices.

My son’s boys Catholic HS had no uniform, only a very, very loose dress code. No jeans or athletic pants, but any other pants or shorts and any plain, collared shirt and tennis shoes. Dress uniform was pants, dress shirt and any tie + dress shoes. It was a free for all. My daughter’s school, OTOH, strict uniform attire and no shorts at all. It was horrible and pricey.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JMarie said:

Yes! Flynn and O'Hara! Every single August.

Oh we don't dare wait for August to go to Flynn and O'Hara... as soon as school let out in June, we hightailed it to the store.. so that we wouldn't be in a 20 person line in August..

• Upvote 1

my school was super easy with uniforms. you had long sleeve or short sleeve options, 4 colors. optional sweater if you wanted, pullover or button up, your choice. one type of skirt. you could choose to wear khakis or black pants if you wanted (no one really wanted to, because they weren't cut in a flattering way that most sixteen year old girls would like lol). You had to wear solid colored tights.

Boys could wear black or khaki pants, the same long/sleeve short sleeve 4 color option shirts, optional sweater vest or pullover sweater, blazer if you wanted (?? nobody did this except football team on game days), and required tie of your choosing. 

The school even had a re-sell shop so you could buy the clothes secondhand. They're super durable -- I had the same skirt for four years and only had to get new white shirts (the other colors didn't show wear). 

The tights were the most annoying thing, but because so many girls rolled their skirts into mini skirts, they stopped doing knee-highs because of all the bare thigh showing (I'm totally against censorship of female body but it was kind of ridiculous and definitely weird to have girls underwear peeking out the bottom of their skirts because they were so short!!). 

Um. So did she say it’s a good thing her close family member has a terminal illness because they get get mass/communion? Or did I misunderstand? 

F6D3E9A4-E425-41E5-B296-D5498DAAE02B.jpeg

• Disgust 4
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • WTF 22

On 5/13/2020 at 11:18 PM, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Do you mean like a Knights of Columbus hall? I've never heard of such a thing in any Catholic setting I've been in. 

Coincidentally, I've been getting KoC recruitment ads in the banner on this site from time to time ?

It was what those in the Church of the Nazarene would refer to as a fellowship hall , and what those in the Roman Catholic church would call a parish hall , I do believe .  { https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_hall , https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fellowship_hall } I was volunteering as part of my church's youth group , in a joint project with the other churches in town .  We had gathered at the church hall of the Catholic church , the only one that I remember having a separate hall adjacent to the main church building , to make Christmas ornaments , for use in a nursing home , if I recall correctly .  I remember that the restroom had no enclosed stalls , because it had stood out in my mind as being odd .  I just went to the urinal furthest from the door , and did my business as quickly as I could .  The only other place I have ever seen the like was at this one parochial school , not Catholic , where I had taken part in a father son banquet .  If I hadn't experienced it firsthand , I might have found the account to seem farfetched myself .  But I guess that it just goes to show the extremes which some Catholic traditionalists , and Protestant fundamentalists will go , even at the expense of privacy .  It was like this , to be exact .  

Spoiler

But at least it's not as bad as the situation in this movie I saw , which was based on the book Divergent , by Veronica Roth .  

Spoiler

P.S. If you want to listen to something at least some of you might find cringeworthy , here is a rap song from a Franciscan friar .  

Spoiler

My reaction to this would be this .  

Spoiler

Yo , I don't mean to be hating , but the Catholic rules regarding chastity seem so frustrating , not even allowing for maturbating .  The dudes must be getting such tension . I bet I know what's their most common confession .  Oh yeah , that's right , you aren't allowed to give me any confirmation , given that the seal of confidentiality is needed to encourage folks to seek reconciliation . Still I imagine there's consternation over having to endure the humiliation of recounting each and every act of masturbation . Which is something the Church does require , even of every monk and friar , whose vow of chastity is supposed to last for an eternity .  I really think that the the RCC should get with modernity .  I never had to face such stress , and I even grew up Holiness . But strict as they were , they didn't seem to have a gripe with a single man cleaning out his pipe .  Such release is said to be good for our health , I just wish the priests would keep their hands to themselves . 

Oh yeah , totally roasted .  :)  But seriously , this actually is a contentious topic among various Christians .  http://www.religioustolerance.org/masturba.htm

• Upvote 6

Sooooo............ Kendra is all up in arms that the churches aren't open and she wants her Eucharist NOW!!! 

But... but... she's fortunate (fortunate??!!??) enough to have as a close family member with a terminal illness (*cough* hubby *cough*) so the priest has been making "regular visits" (to her private consecrated home chapel) to say Mass/ give Communion. "But not everyone in LA is so lucky."

Therefore. her internet pot stirring has absolutely nothing to do with her not being able to go to Mass because the priest makes "regular visits" to her home and everything to do with .... what Kendra????? What??...... Calling attention to yourself?.... Going viral? Being a hypocrite??

We see you Kendra ... Oh yes we see exactly who you are. 

Edited by Red Hair, Black Dress
  • Upvote 16
  • Love 1

She’s appalling. I can’t believe how awful she is and people don’t see it. No actually I’m not surprised. Rich good looking white peoples get away with murder in the court of public opinion. And it disgusts me.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 9

My Catholic high school had the main door off the boys' bathroom to keep them from smoking in there.  The stall doors were all intact, though. I've never been in another Catholic school with absent stall doors. Even my son's all boy school merely locked the bathrooms at end day, to avoid vandalism, rather than avoid carnal misbehavior.

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

My Catholic high school had the main door off the boys' bathroom to keep them from smoking in there.  The stall doors were all intact, though. I've never been in another Catholic school with absent stall doors. Even my son's all boy school merely locked the bathrooms at end day, to avoid vandalism, rather than avoid carnal misbehavior.

My hometown is fairly poor and rural so there were always doors missing from bathroom stalls in all of our schools. In elementary school, remember everyone would laugh at this one girl that would use a stall without a door because she just didn’t care about privacy. But everyone else cared. Therefore there was always a line for the stall with a door on it. I bet the doors would be fixed almost immediately nowadays. But back then, I guess it wasn’t high on the priority list. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 4

12 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Sooooo............ Kendra is all up in arms that the churches aren't open and she wants her Eucharist NOW!!! 

But... but... she's fortunate (fortunate??!!??) enough to have as a close family member with a terminal illness (*cough* hubby *cough*) so the priest has been making "regular visits" (to her private consecrated home chapel) to say Mass/ give Communion. "But not everyone in LA is so lucky."

Therefore. her internet pot stirring has absolutely nothing to do with her not being able to go to Mass because the priest makes "regular visits" to her home and everything to do with .... what Kendra????? What??...... Calling attention to yourself?.... Going viral? Being a hypocrite??

We see you Kendra ... Oh yes we see exactly who you are. 

Is her husband terminal?

3 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

The public middle school I attended in Syracuse also had the main doors taken off; the door frames of the girls’ rooms were painted orange and the boys’ blue(the school colors).  I accidentally went into the wrong one a couple of times...?

• Upvote 3

She’s generally a pretty decent writer, but “I’m so lucky my husband is terminally ill because that means I get communion IRL!!!” is one of the most magnificently tone-deaf things I’ve ever read. It reminds me of the time our deacon collapsed during Mass. People ran to help him, I ran to call 911—and a couple of old bachelors instead concentrated on picking up all the consecrated hosts he’d dropped and getting them back into the ciborium (gilded bowl for communion hosts).

There are plenty of reasons to go all WTF at hyper-deluxe-Catholic Kendra, but as a former Catholic, I can’t bring myself to rag on her for having a home chapel. The idea of a special contemplative space appeals to me. I know a member of a gay couple who made the spare room of their house into a chapel (he was Catholic). Catholics are big on physical objects as reminders of their faith (statues/statuettes, stained glass windows, medals, rosaries, etc.).

But making kids of disparate ages share bunkhouse bedrooms because God forbid they have two minutes to themselves to read a book or—gasp!—whack off? Screw that.

• Upvote 12

Kendra's hubby is technically considered terminal as he is stage 4 melanoma, with no cure, just continuous monitoring and treatment as needed.  He's not going to recover; best case is he'll remain stable where he is now.

@Hane Yes x1000. This is so tone deaf and so indicative of her privilege.  i was literally gobsmacked and couldn't believe I  read her post correctly.

1 hour ago, Hane said:

“I’m so lucky my husband is terminally ill because that means I get communion IRL!!!” is one of the most magnificently tone-deaf things I’ve ever read.

To me it's not the private chapel -- it's the  privilege that she reeks of.   She has a mansion with 10 bedrooms that she was able to redesign/renovate in her own weird way and use one of the spaces as a private chapel.  She has absolutely no concept that 99% of her fangirls don't live like that.

She can decide to build a weird claustrophobic submarine bedroom for her sons because she has $$$$$$$ and enough rooms to do so.  Her latest FB post about the family Rosary shows the patio and the pool and indicates the size of the house's grounds. She has a mansion in LA and the money to have it redesigned and renovated.  That's privilege. A lot of privilege.  Posting about it and the home tours is just bragging and showing off under the guise of sharing with her readers.

It is obvious that Kendra just chaps my lips? :pb_glasses:

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

I volunteered at a hospice until Covid-19 stopped all volunteers, and so many dying patients and their families benefited from a visit with the chaplain. The fact that she is wheedling her privilege so that she can commandeer her priest's time when there are actually people dying and families grieving and needing closure is astonishing. Honestly, I wonder if they do a lot to financially support their parish, and if the priest feels obligated to do the rites so that the food pantry can stay open, or whatever.

5 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Kendra's hubby is technically considered terminal as he is stage 4 melanoma, with no cure, just continuous monitoring and treatment as needed.  He's not going to recover; best case is he'll remain stable where he is now.

@Hane Yes x1000. This is so tone deaf and so indicative of her privilege.  i was literally gobsmacked and couldn't believe I  read her post correctly.

Meanwhile, two Sikh doctor brothers shaved their beards so that they can continue to safely see patients during this pandemic. The Tierneys and their fake religiosity can go kick rocks.

• Upvote 11
  • Love 10

On 5/15/2020 at 3:46 PM, Four is Enough said:

Has anybody EVER noticed that no matter the diocese, it's only the FEMALE uniforms that have to be purchased at a specialty uniform store? It was that way when I attended Catholic school with one exception. Parents could purchase the FABRIC for the uniform I wore and the very specific pattern for the uniform jumper, which basically was the same money, but more work, because it had to be made. At the time, it was Bendinger Brothers. Anyone else? (ArchBalt)

I went to school K-12 in the Archdiocese of Indianapolis, and the schools I went to used Schoolbelles as their uniform provider. Every grade school had their own plaid for the girls jumpers and skirts, but everyone wore the same pants and polos. My high school got rid of skirts for the girls before I started, so everyone wore pants or shorts with the school logo on the hip, and either a blue or white polo with the school name on it. I had two skirts in grade school for grades 5-8 that I just rotated (for some reason I refused to wear the pants in grade school, I don't even know why). My mom would just let the hem out as needed. For high school I would get two pairs of pants and new shirts if needed at the beginning of every school year. I actually really liked having a uniform, not being a morning person at all, it allowed me to streamline my sprint out the door.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

I recently hunted down the bedroom photos. 

Not what I was envisioning at all. There are some gorgeous "Chip & Joanna" style bunk rooms that are going around Instagram right now, which I thought is what she would have channeled. These just look shoddy, dark, and cramped. The layout is odd as well. I also don't understand making it all Naval Academy themed. That's like giving your kid a Princeton room in hopes they get into Princeton by absorption lol. 

I work at a summer camp that has built in bunks in the cabins (all raw wood) and they look nicer and better crafted than these. 

Example of a really nice bunk room here and here and a close dupe for my summer camp's cabin interior, which I still think is nicer than the weird thing she has done here

• Upvote 1

Hubby was a Marine and Kendra has long talked about the Navy/ Marines for her sons. Probably why she ... uh.. "we" were so disappointed Jack didn't get into the Naval Academy.  Not sure if the boys have any say on whether or not they do a stint in the Navy/Marines after college. Like most things in her children's lives, Kendra decides and that's that.

if you read her Easter blog post she humble brags about why Jack is such an absolutely perfect fit  for the Academy and seriously how on earth could they have turned him down.  Ummm ... well.  ummmm ... Kendra.. maybe they found someone more perfect than Jack?  Imma just sayin'.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

if you read her Easter blog post she humble brags about why Jack is such an absolutely perfect fit  for the Academy and seriously how on earth could they have turned him down.

Her Easter post makes it clear that his USNA application had a lot more to do with his parents than him.

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, Cat Damon said:

I went to school K-12 in the Archdiocese of Indianapolis, and the schools I went to used Schoolbelles as their uniform provider. Every grade school had their own plaid for the girls jumpers and skirts, but everyone wore the same pants and polos. My high school got rid of skirts for the girls before I started, so everyone wore pants or shorts with the school logo on the hip, and either a blue or white polo with the school name on it. I had two skirts in grade school for grades 5-8 that I just rotated (for some reason I refused to wear the pants in grade school, I don't even know why). My mom would just let the hem out as needed. For high school I would get two pairs of pants and new shirts if needed at the beginning of every school year. I actually really liked having a uniform, not being a morning person at all, it allowed me to streamline my sprint out the door.

In Northern Ireland , Catholics and Protestants have their own respective schools , and school uniforms

Spoiler

https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/nov/24/religious-divide-northern-ireland-religious-divide-northern-ireland-schools   

2 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Hubby was a Marine and Kendra has long talked about the Navy/ Marines for her sons. Probably why she ... uh.. "we" were so disappointed Jack didn't get into the Naval Academy.  Not sure if the boys have any say on whether or not they do a stint in the Navy/Marines after college. Like most things in her children's lives, Kendra decides and that's that.

if you read her Easter blog post she humble brags about why Jack is such an absolutely perfect fit  for the Academy and seriously how on earth could they have turned him down.  Ummm ... well.  ummmm ... Kendra.. maybe they found someone more perfect than Jack?  Imma just sayin'.

I have read articles alleging that Opus Dei has predominant influence within the U.S. Military .  It might be somewhat of a conspiracy theory though , so take it for what it's worth .  https://www.rawstory.com/2011/01/highranking-members-military-part-knights-malta-opus-dei-reporter-claims/  ,  http://churchandstate.org.uk/2015/05/opus-dei-the-vatican-pentagon-connection/  , https://www.motherjones.com/politics/1983/07/their-will-be-done/ 

Edited by Marmion
to add one more additional article I just found , after the fact
  • Upvote 4

It's fairly well known that the Air Force Academy is run by evangelicals and they make it rather... uncomfortable for non Christians/ non-fundies

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

Just popping in to say I found the pics of the Nelson kids’ rooms on Insta at #gramblewood. The kids do have some modicum of privacy: the girls’ beds have opaque floor-to-ceiling curtains that close all the way, and the boys’ bunks have curtains, too. I still see no good reason for dorm style living in such a huge house.

Re uniforms: My grandson’s last year in Catholic school, they announced that girls would be going skirts-only the following fall. It pissed me off, even though I had no dog in that fight. (The school did have pre-k and kindergarten uniforms that made sense, though: comfy cotton knit shorts and tees for warm weather, and sweats for the winter. My grandson resented the transition to “hard pants” [woven fabric with a fly and a belt] in first grade.)

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Marmion said:

In Northern Ireland , Catholics and Protestants have their own respective schools , and school uniforms

Hide contents

https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/nov/24/religious-divide-northern-ireland-religious-divide-northern-ireland-schools   

South of the border, where most schools are catholic the uniforms are very involved for girls. Here is one of the uniform providers: https://uniformity.ie/collections/loreto-foxrock  (You can tell when you have crossed the border north because the girls' skirts are suddenly much shorter and everyone is in a blazer which they just don't really wear here). As always the girls uniforms have specified skirts, shirts, jumpers and coats and even socks, shoes and hair ties. The boys might have a specific jumper and tie, but one pair of grey trousers is pretty much like another, same for white shirts.

• Thank You 2

Does anyone know if Kendra is an anti-vaxxer? I'm going to be extra pissed if she is and George's serious bout with bacterial meningitis was preventable. 

• Upvote 4

My Catholic high school had a dress code but not uniforms. No jeans, no shorts (but that was common in the 80s even for public school), no super short skirts, no sleeveless shirts. That was it. And super short  skirts weren’t really a thing at the time either. 

The Catholic school I taught  at ten years ago had uniforms. Navy or tan pants that could be purchased anywhere. White, green, navy or yellow polo shirts —long or short sleeves—that could be purchased anywhere.  Navy or tan long shorts—that should be purchased anywhere but not cargo shorts. Crew neck sweatshirts in blue or green—no logos or anything on them, also could be purchased anywhere.  Hoodies both pullover or zip up. Plaid skirts for the girls in two styles. And navy sweaters—cardigan and crew neck in very specific styles but could be purchased anywhere. 

Literally the only item that wasn’t for both genders was the skirts. And while in writing only two items had to be purchased at a specific place—skirts at the uniform store and hoodies at a local athletic store (and pullover hoodies were the most worn item by both boys and girls once they were added), in practice a number of items were difficult to find elsewhere, specifically long sleeve polos without conspicuous logos, non-cargo khaki shorts for boys, long enough shorts for girls and the required style of sweaters.  A lot of parents also found that crew neck sweatshirts (most popular item in winter prior to the addition of hoodies to the uniform code) from the uniform store lasted longer than cheap plain ones from elsewhere. The school also had a uniform exchange room open all the time where students and parents could bring outgrown items abs pick up used ones to replace them. Some families literally never bought new pieces as new students were free to completely stock up there for a very low donation.  Seniors without younger siblings would often bring in their entire uniform wardrobe at the end of the year and leave it for others to take. 

• Upvote 2

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic