IGNORED

Kendra Tierney: A Martyr for Catholicism All Year

anachronistic

4 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

Do people in your church think the priest is literally drinking blood?

The teachings of every Catholic church with which I've been involved have taught transubstantiation.  The beliefs of individual members vary, as they do with most things.

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 3

1 minute ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

The teachings of every Catholic church with which I've been involved have taught transubstantiation.  The beliefs of individual members vary, as they do with most things.

Oh, Spanish priests teach transubstantiation. But if you ask for details, they come with the "symbolic" explanation. The teachings are supposed to be the same... but maybe it's just that here most catholics don't truly believe transubstantation, so priests have to be ok with the symbol explanation. 

I'm not sure what Opus Dei Spanish people say. Probably they are ok with the waffle being a real body. But I don't know for sure.

• Upvote 4

Calling the host a waffle reminds me of an old Catholic joke.  The real miracle is thinking the host is really bread. 

Here most hosts are not anything close to resembling a waffle.

image.png.50f3774b14daac2b9d60c1e9d062339c.png

They don't even resemble true bread.  The closest they come to is a flat, dry, tasteless cracker.

image.png.9108c5d51c5eb6cdf09c1e584ec3b707.png

• Upvote 4

Just now, Coconut Flan said:

Calling the host a waffle reminds me of an old Catholic joke.  The real miracle is thinking the host is really bread. 

Here most hosts are not anything close to resembling a waffle.

image.png.50f3774b14daac2b9d60c1e9d062339c.png

They don't even resemble true bread.  The closest they come to is a flat, dry, tasteless cracker.

image.png.9108c5d51c5eb6cdf09c1e584ec3b707.png

That look like pale Necco wafers.  

Am I the only one who played communion with Necco wafers as a child?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

No, they use them to practice first communion in a lot of parishes including where I go now.  I expect most of the kids go home and pretend. 

I think it's a good idea.

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 2

23 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Nope..

• Upvote 3

There was a point where the lady who makes the communion bread couldn't do it for a while, and we had those little styrofoam disks at my church. Everyone was very happy to get the little cracker things back!

• Upvote 1

This discussion over communion is precisely why God sent his only begotten know-it-all Kendra to properly explain Catholicism to us all.

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 21

8 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

There was a point where the lady who makes the communion bread couldn't do it for a while, and we had those little styrofoam disks at my church. Everyone was very happy to get the little cracker things back!

My mom's fundy-lite church used pieces of matzo bread.  And of course grape juice.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Necco wafers are going to be produced again this summer!

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, JMarie said:

I have a friend in Louisiana who, when she found out that Necco wafers were coming back, recounted her story about playing Communion with her siblings... with Necco wafers.

• Upvote 2

Spoiler

When I was a kid, we used to flatten slices of white bread and punch out “hosts” with a bottle cap. We learned how from the “big kid” who was in second grade and attending First Communion classes. We used her picnic bench as the altar rail. We stopped after a while because we were afraid it was blasphemous.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Wow, thousands of Spanish Catholics must be wrong, then. It's been seen as a symbol for decades. In the 80's (not sure about before) we were teached by priests that Bible and transubtantiation were symbolic. 

I edit to add that a huge majority of Spanish Catholics don't attend church regularly. Just on big holidays, weddings etc. I think seeing things as symbols make it easy to live their faith and many priests are ok with that and some seem to agree with the symbolic ideas.

They probably are just relieved that the time of the Inquisition is over .  {  http://churchandstate.org.uk/2016/04/the-horrors-of-the-church-and-its-holy-inquisition/  ,  https://www.history.com/topics/religion/inquisition  }  Although , if Kendra Tierney and Opus Dei have their way , this may change .  http://churchandstate.org.uk/2015/04/opus-dei-neofascism-within-the-catholic-church/  

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, JMarie said:

This is the best thing I've heard in a while! Oh man, I actually really, really like Necco wafers. Hurray!

2 hours ago, therulesofjinx said:

This is the best thing I've heard in a while! Oh man, I actually really, really like Necco wafers. Hurray!

I used to shop at the local JoAnn's.. and the best thing? They sold chocolate Necco packs right at the checkout!

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Hane said:
  Reveal hidden contents

When I was a kid, we used to flatten slices of white bread and punch out “hosts” with a bottle cap. We learned how from the “big kid” who was in second grade and attending First Communion classes. We used her picnic bench as the altar rail. We stopped after a while because we were afraid it was blasphemous.

The Baptist version of this is pretending to baptize each other in the pool.

• Haha 9

7 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

I used to shop at the local JoAnn's.. and the best thing? They sold chocolate Necco packs right at the checkout!

This reminds me of a joke I have heard , from Saffron Herndon  .  

11-year-old-stand-up-saffron-herndon-6-5

• Confused 1
  • Haha 4

The Necco wafers made me think of this classic Brent Spiner episode of Night Court.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Chocolate Necco Wafers are the bomb!  The other flavors are fine, but chocolate is the best.

• I Agree 2

On 6/26/2020 at 8:29 PM, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Chocolate Necco Wafers are the bomb!  The other flavors are fine, but chocolate is the best.

So finding an entire pack of them is GREAT!!

Until they were discontinued, my supermarket carried both the original and chocolate-only rolls.

I've never in my life had a Necco wafer, and now I really want to try one! They weren't really in my orbit as a kid, though I remember seeing them occasionally in grocery stores. I always bypassed them because they looked like giant sweet-tarts, which taste like the lovechild of chalk and Dimetapp, so naturally I avoided what I assumed to be a larger version of the same.

But now I'm hell-bent on eating a chocolate Necco. 

2 hours ago, SolomonFundy said:

But now I'm hell-bent on eating a chocolate Necco. 

I was very cheered by the announcement that Necco Wafers will soon be available again. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, SolomonFundy said:

I've never in my life had a Necco wafer, and now I really want to try one! They weren't really in my orbit as a kid, though I remember seeing them occasionally in grocery stores. I always bypassed them because they looked like giant sweet-tarts, which taste like the lovechild of chalk and Dimetapp 

Necco wafers are a blander version of chalk, lol. And I actually like them on occasion. 

• Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, katilac said:

Necco wafers are a blander version of chalk, lol. And I actually like them on occasion. 

The chocolate, mint, and licorice flavors are the strongest...

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic