IGNORED

Bro Gary Hawkins 13: What's the other one, Becky?

samurai_sarah

On 4/29/2020 at 8:52 PM, sixcatatty said:

Prine tells the story here:

John Prine is the sound of my childhood. Dad always used to sing his stuff on long car trips. 

I have no talent for parody, but this one feels like it was made for it. 

Edited by DaisyD
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

Bro just posted himself bellowing at some service tonight and there is a parishioner just hooting and hollering like he's at a hog calling contest. It's hilarious.

He also said he got his stimulus check "taken away from him". Would it be for child support or back child support? 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 5

Pearls of wisdom from GHaw:  I like people talkin' 'bout me.  Let's me know I'm doin' somethin' right, HAYMEN!

The singing, oh, me oh my.  A little old lady wearing a dress, sock and tennis shoes had to sing acapella because the guitar player wasn't there.  Then we had a pianist sing, then the preacher played his guitar and sang "Let me touch Him."   

• WTF 2
  • Haha 6
  • Thank You 4

25 minutes ago, griffin said:

Bro just posted himself bellowing at some service tonight and there is a parishioner just hooting and hollering like he's at a hog calling contest. It's hilarious.

He also said he got his stimulus check "taken away from him". Would it be for child support or back child support? 

I looked up the reasons you wouldn’t get a check

You made too much money (highly unlikely) 

Owe child support 

Over drawn or behind in loan payments at the bank

You have a financial judgment against you. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 10

2 minutes ago, grandmadugger said:

I looked up the reasons you wouldn’t get a check

You made too much money (highly unlikely) 

Owe child support 

Over drawn or behind in loan payments at the bank

You have a financial judgment against you. 

Other than too much money (like he even filed) any of those could be it. Come to think of it, if he hasn't filed in a while he won't get anything either. If that's the case, it wasn't "taken" and it's his own fault. 

• Upvote 6

He said he got it but it was taken away. He said he also got his tax refund and was saving it to use "for the ministry" whatever that means. Maybe that's why he went to the bank the other day

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

2 hours ago, griffin said:

He said he got it but it was taken away. He said he also got his tax refund and was saving it to use "for the ministry" whatever that means. Maybe that's why he went to the bank the other day

I'm guessing child support or adverse financial judgement too. Saving it to use "for the ministry" probably means "I need to fill up the car to get to the next gig".

• Upvote 12

Gary has copied a post from an unnamed source describing the dangers of wearing a face mask & declaring he won’t be wearing one. Like we ever doubted that he would refuse to do something that might protect others. 
He thinks his life is at risk by wearing a mask to ‘Walmarts’- how does he think healthcare workers cope? It’s his right to refuse but quoting dodgy science to cover his innate selfishness is typical Gary. 

• Upvote 10
  • WTF 2
  • I Agree 1

22 hours ago, Idlewild said:

Before the lock down a priest came to my mum's care home to give communion- he is from Ghana and comes to our town every year to allow the parish priests to have a break - go on retreat or visit family. The residents love him as he has a great singing voice and bursts into song at random times during the service. He gave a sermon about bringing your troubles to God , using a tale from his early days as a priest in Africa. I am long lapsed but it brought me to tears. There was no yelling, waving his bible or shouting ‘haymen’ But it made me think a lot and I still think about it when times are tough. I cannot imagine Gary ever having that impact on people.

About 15 years ago now, my family and I encountered an African priest on an Easter morning. We were camping over the Easter holiday, as was our family tradition, and we found the local Catholic church. We were in the overflow church, which meant we spent that Easter Mass on the bleachers of the school's gymnasium.. but the priest entered singing, and he continued singing ad lib throughout the Mass. I remember, too, his sermon... and my husband quoted it just this last week... he spoke of the "Easter joy".. that sermon has stuck with all of us over the years.

One of the joys of travelling was definitely attending Mass in different places and hearing new sermons and singing new hymns.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 5

Thanks to all who listened to the Sunday evening service and reported to us. I was listening to potential music for students, and just didn't want to listen to Gary after pretty piano pieces (oooh, how Shrader-esque of me).

I didn't read the anti-mask screed - I suppose the author makes some sort of bid to convince readers that carbon dioxide is as dangerous as carbon monoxide. Then my mind started to wander.

And yes, even this was a song cue for me. One of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning is "cherry pink and apple blossom white" skin mottling. A song by that name was a big hit in 1950. The instrumental is great, but I needed the lyrics, so the atrocious version by Pat Boone seemed appropriate for Bro Gary.

Gary is so red and white all the time, it occurred to me that we'd never know if he had carbon monoxide poisoning.

He’s cherry pink and apple blossom white
No need for carbon monoxide.
He's cherry pink and apple blossom white
And filled with pride.

The story goes that once a child was born,
Thought he knew all there was to know,
And so the facts of science he did scorn,
Our bright pink bro.

Oh, no, he won’t wear a mask, he wouldn’t touch one at all,
To warn us all is his task, what’s next? That evil Lysol?
He can’t tell mono- from di-, and so, as usual, we find,
Bro Gary’s prejudice clouds his little mind.

And that is why I feel compelled to write
This parody of an old hit.
He’s cherry pink and apple blossom white
And full of shit!

Edited by thoughtful
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 6
  • Love 3

Wearing a mask to ‘walmarts’ for your every day unnecessary shopping trip is not prolonged use you dolt. Gaaaaaa 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

Does Gary know what he will be wearing to bed if he is, indeed, diagnosed with sleep apnea? I hope he is willing to trust doctors about that. Maybe he will, since that's about saving his precious hide, not someone else's.

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 1

On 4/30/2020 at 1:25 PM, keepercjr said:

Ah that video.  A "press conference" for 1 "reporter" 

What's interesting is that someone I went to high school with posted the video of those two physicians on their facebook page, and one of their friends posted the American College of Emergency Physicians' statement to denounce the video of those two doctors. I had already read that along with a longer blog post from another scientist/physician who, point by point, rebutted every falsehood stated in said video. So, of course, as a scientist myself, I liked the comment. The person who originally posted the video decided to write an angry all-caps response to all of this, demanding that the person who posted the rebuttal and those who liked the comment need to listen to BOTH SIDES. She literally tagged all of us. Yeah. That gave me a whole new view of what kind of person she is.

• Upvote 6
  • WTF 2

18 hours ago, wallysmommy said:

Then we had a pianist sing, then the preacher played his guitar and sang "Let me touch Him."   

My inner 12 year old boy is cracking up at the name of that song.

Also I'm still a couple pages behind but I felt the need to share this with you all. For work my team is finding resources in North Carolina, and there is a town called Grifton, and it just reminded me of my favorite North Carolinian grifter! ?

5 hours ago, thoughtful said:

Does Gary know what he will be wearing to bed if he is, indeed, diagnosed with sleep apnea? I hope he is willing to trust doctors about that. Maybe he will, since that's about saving his precious hide, not someone else's.

My husband has to wear a CPAP. Ever since I first started watching Bro's videos, he has reminded me a lot of my husband, who sometimes breathes hard even when he's sitting still. The first time I stayed the night with him, he was snoring like crazy and then he would just stop breathing and start choking in his sleep. I legit thought he died on the spot. He did it several more times throughout the night. After that he made an appointment to get checked out 

His apnea was so severe that he stopped breathing something like 60 times an hour. He has to wear his mask every night. When we go camping he has a little battery pack that he can plug the CPAP into. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 5

31 minutes ago, PumaLover said:

My inner 12 year old boy is cracking up at the name of that song.

Oh, you're so not the only one!

• Haha 5
  • I Agree 3

20 hours ago, griffin said:

The only child support they would be behind on are Becky's kids.  Can they take her husband's money to pay that?  I am not well versed in the rules surrounding child support.  Maybe he is in default at the bank it was direct deposited to but banks aren't supposed to take it.  My bank got some bad press for doing that and gave the $ back to the people and issued a statement that they would not take stimulus $ to apply towards defaults.  He would have gotten $1700 for him and Jacob and then another $1200 for Becky.  If it is for child support they must never pay it.  Becky's may have been taken too (maybe he considers it all "his stimulus $").  I can't imagine they are supposed to pay very much each month considering neither of them has been employed in many years. 

Edited by keepercjr
  • Upvote 5

5 hours ago, larrysmom said:

What's interesting is that someone I went to high school with posted the video of those two physicians on their facebook page, and one of their friends posted the American College of Emergency Physicians' statement to denounce the video of those two doctors. I had already read that along with a longer blog post from another scientist/physician who, point by point, rebutted every falsehood stated in said video. So, of course, as a scientist myself, I liked the comment. The person who originally posted the video decided to write an angry all-caps response to all of this, demanding that the person who posted the rebuttal and those who liked the comment need to listen to BOTH SIDES. She literally tagged all of us. Yeah. That gave me a whole new view of what kind of person she is.

I would be so tempted to respond with something like "read both, going with the intelligent side. Feel free to choose the other..." and then wait for the inevitable unfriending or whatever. My tolerance for false information has dropped considerably in the last couple of months - I keep reporting the hell out of stuff. 

10 hours ago, thoughtful said:

And yes, even this was a song cue for me. One of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning is "cherry pink and apple blossom white" skin mottling. A song by that name was a big hit in 1950.

I can't believe there's a song about carbon monoxide poisoning. The 1950s were a weird decade.

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, larrysmom said:

A person I considered a very good friend of about 25 years posted that same video (the Bakersfield doctors).  We were once very close, she was the first person who knew I was pregnant, threw my baby shower, and I watched her kids grow up and become parents themselves.  We grew less close due to busy schedules, and I also moved an hour away.  However, I still thought of her as a good friend.  I pointed out that these doctors had been debunked but she didn't want to hear it.  Then a couple of days later she shared a link to a group advocating for protesting against the closures.  I voiced my concerns but she really believes since new cases are low, we should return to normal "to save the economy" .  

I can't still be friends.  It is hurting my heart, but I just can't ignore this.  So we agreed to unfollow each other on FB and cut off contact.  No angry words, but a lot of sadness.

• Sad 10
  • Love 7

42 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:
11 hours ago, thoughtful said:

And yes, even this was a song cue for me. One of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning is "cherry pink and apple blossom white" skin mottling. A song by that name was a big hit in 1950.

I can't believe there's a song about carbon monoxide poisoning. The 1950s were a weird decade.

The song wasn't about carbon monoxide poisoning. It's just that the phrase happened to describe the symptoms.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

2 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

1 hour ago, thoughtful said:

The song wasn't about carbon monoxide poisoning. It's just that the phrase happened to describe the symptoms.

I saw these last two comments and ran to the thread, mistakenly thinking I was missing another Tom Lehrer conversation :my_tongue: 

• Haha 7

9 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

My tolerance for false information has dropped considerably in the last couple of months - I keep reporting the hell out of stuff. 

Same here. I am mildly curious what happens if I keep commenting on, or support others who comment on, her stuff. Will she unfriend me? Probably.

She's also been using the pandemic to market her work-from-home business, and I am guess her sales aren't doing that great so now she wants everyone to go back to work, make some money, and "stop living in fear."

• Upvote 6

OK Folks, I was just watching the video of Becky playing the piano - from May 2 - (the one that is shot from what looks the other end of a bowling alley - why is it so far away? - before it gets ZOOMED in super fast.) Bro Gary comes swaggering in around the 11-minute mark, to stand RIGHT BEHIND Becky. He sticks a hand in his pocket, points to the sheet music, and won't stop fidgeting with his hand in his pocket. Then he turns back to the camera to say something. (Okay, admittedly I have this on mute because Mr. Larrysmom is sleeping right now and this is not how anyone should be woken up.) Okay, so clearly the whole family is singing, and a kid shows up just before the 15 minute mark.

Then this happens a few minutes later:

Spoiler

421405805_Screenshot2020-05-0508_31_28.png.bb48f7c2c354f58881e243f7ebd930a4.png

Ugh.

Then, I scrolled down to the comments to see this passive-aggressive masterpiece:

Spoiler

1156133171_Screenshot2020-05-0508_25_38.png.f903252d755455533fc4854ba149d490.png

Thanks, not-Bro-Gary-Gary. You keep praying for Becky's piano playing.

I am clearly not as brave as @thoughtful because I didn't want to unmute this, but watching it without sound and Bro's Gary's fidgeting and shouting (?) back towards the camera did provide some yucks. (In more ways than one!)

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1

32 minutes ago, larrysmom said:

Same here. I am mildly curious what happens if I keep commenting on, or support others who comment on, her stuff. Will she unfriend me? Probably.

She's also been using the pandemic to market her work-from-home business, and I am guess her sales aren't doing that great so now she wants everyone to go back to work, make some money, and "stop living in fear."

She could always get a job outside the home and not live in fear herself...

9 hours ago, thoughtful said:

I figured that was probably the case (although weird choice of colours...), but I stand by my 1950s comment. Heh. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2

3 hours ago, larrysmom said:

a kid shows up just before the 15 minute mark.

Jacob is actually there the whole time - he's sitting on the other side of Becky, and leans forward or back so we can see him a few times. Then he slips out between the game table and the wall, and comes back a bit later to stand on the other side.

That poor kid is being cheated in so many ways, but, for a moment, I'll focus on the musical aspects of the crap being heaped upon him. His voice probably changed fairly recently, and that's an adjustment to make. Kids in that stage, even in a performing family, benefit from help finding their new range, resting the voice, not being expected to perform loudly for a while, etc. (the Brady Bunch episode notwithstanding!). But Gary and Becky just expect him to find his new part (as far as I can tell, without any help or practice), and bellow loudly like Gary. It doesn't sound good, and it probably doesn't feel good.

3 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

but I stand by my 1950s comment. Heh. 

Well, it produced me, so you are probably on to something!  :banana-jumprope:

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

Gary starts this morning's live, in front of the wall at Promise Baptist again, with a long dreary description of his day yesterday, to explain why he didn't do a live yesterday (it's not an obligation, Bro). He got lots of work done on his truck. The starter he got was a lemon and he has to try again for that, but God is good all the time, all the time God is good.

He also had a tooth pulled, because Gary's insurance would pay for it to be pulled, but it would cost $1400 to "go to one of them other places" (by which I figure he means to another dentist to have it repaired).

He heard from Daniel Bryant, "a missionary to, uhhhh, Africa - to Uganda, Africa; that's that's that place that you thought what never was, Amen."

He may have a gig in Georgia, and some other places. He wants us to pray for him and for Brother Bryant, who is trying to raise his funds.

Gary tells us that Brother Bryant has three daughters (Bryant comments - four daughters) and a son, and his wife is expecting again. "They did a little thang on Facebook, this gender thang," and found out they are having a boy. His little boy was so excited to "finally have another man in the house, and so umm see if he can straighten all 'em girls up, amen." He chuckles.

He expresses his gratitude for prayers by saying "It takes money to ride the trains, amen, we understand that, but I jus' tell you right now just knowin' I got some people prayin' for me is just a blessing."

Edit - I found that expression - it's in the context of "talk is cheap, but it costs money to ride the train." Gary's talk is especially cheap.

He takes a stab at greeting Bileef Salimjohn when he comments - he does OK with the first name.

He asks us to pray for good weather, so they can fix the truck (it sounds like his brother is going to do the work, but that's unclear).

Gary tells us he's just a vessel.

Edited by thoughtful
  • Thank You 15

• samurai_sarah pinned and unpinned this topic
  • samurai_sarah locked this topic