IGNORED

Bro Gary Hawkins 13: What's the other one, Becky?

samurai_sarah

Thanks for the John Prine video! I've never heard that version!

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, wallysmommy said:

I laughed so hard at the dog over his head that my dogs looked at me, startled.  It could only have been better if the dog dropped a bone or a toy on Gary's head.  He would have thought the sky was falling.

My cat wasn't sure how she felt about the apparent dog worship going on in Gary's photo...   ?  Great photo!

• Haha 4

Gary was live this morning. Weather report: "the sun is BRAHT!"

And so is Gary's shirt:

image.png.2b3b3ffa014f7671efb745389bf57b24.png

Yesterday, he "did a lot o' runnin', thangs goin' on, 'n' everything" - went to see his parents and family, went to the bank to put in some cash, and "set there in lahn" for almost an hour.

"D'you know we're already in May? We already halfway through this year. You would have thought this pandemic woulda slowed things down."

No, Gary - that's not how time works.

Jesus is coming soon (how many years have you been saying that, Gary?) - are you ready? We can't know who's going to heaven - we can have a "suggestive idear," but we can't know for sure.  The only person he's sure is saved is Gary.

He looks concerned and gets up to look over the wall when he hears a sound. Why does that worry you so, Gary? It's the lawn mowers.

He says the changes in weather are a sign of the end times, because he knows the King James Bible.

No, he's not talking about climate change - he's talking about the fact that it's supposed to be close to 80 degrees F for today and tomorrow, then go down to the 60s.

:confusion-shrug:

Right after he holds up his Bible and tells us he knows more because he read it, he goes into a long faux-humble riff about how other Independent Baptists want to tell you they know it all, but he's just a student trying to learn more.

?

We're in per'lous tahms.

The video cuts off.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 19

26 minutes ago, thoughtful said:

Gary was live this morning. Weather report: "the sun is BRAHT!"

And so is Gary's shirt:

image.png.2b3b3ffa014f7671efb745389bf57b24.png

Yesterday, he "did a lot o' runnin', thangs goin' on, 'n' everything" - went to see his parents and family, went to the bank to put in some cash, and "set there in lahn" for almost an hour.

They must be staying at that church.  I am surprised that they aren't crashing with family but maybe they get a private residence for a bit at the church.  And it upsets me that they visited his parents.  His mom just got out of the hospital for a kidney stone and even his daughter, who is staying with his brother (and his family), had to see her boyfriend (more on that in a sec) from afar. 

So Becky got Gary's daughter, Michaela, to hold a Tupperware party.  It looks like Michaela has a boyfriend, who changed his facebook name to her name and his.  I checked it out and there isn't much to see but the pages and people he follows are very un-fundie. 

• Upvote 5

12 minutes ago, keepercjr said:

They must be staying at that church.

Yes - they've been living there since they got to NC. Besides the videos in front of the Shrine of the Heavenly Bitch (as I now like to think of that retaining wall), the ones in the sanctuary and bedroom (with the bearded man mural) were all at this church.

12 minutes ago, keepercjr said:

His mom just got out of the hospital for a kidney stone

And I believe she only has one kidney.

Gary is a reckless, selfish ass.

ETA - he's begging again:

image.png.606959f5233ce145833372d50dfff025.png

Edited by thoughtful
  • Upvote 4
  • Sad 2

So despite sneering at others efforts to be safe ( online streaming etc) he’s happy to come & pitch his tent & inflict his ramblings. Anything to avoid work eh? I wonder if he got his stimulus payment hence the visit to the bank? 
and 24 hours without a visit to ‘Walmarts’?? How will he know to disapprove of them unless he sees it for himself? 

• Upvote 6

Bro has got the beer belly chubs seriously going on.  Sitting around and not sweating/preaching isn't doing him any good with his health evidently.  

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

So despite sneering at others efforts to be safe ( online streaming etc) he’s happy to come & pitch his tent & inflict his ramblings.

Notice that now he's more open to streamed services, since he's caught on that he can still get contributions.

15 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

I wonder if he got his stimulus payment hence the visit to the bank? 

He said he had to go to the bank because he had cash to deposit. I would think he'd just keep cash and not deposit or report it, but maybe he can't get anyone to take it during the pandemic, and needs to deposit it so he can use his debit card.

17 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

24 hours without a visit to ‘Walmarts’?? How will he know to disapprove of them unless he sees it for himself? 

:laughing-jumpingpurple:  Really! C'mon, Gary - how many people are they letting into "Walmarts" now? Are they still screaming at you?

• Upvote 5

I wonder how long the church will be okay with Gary living there?  He seems to have settled in. 

Also, in his latest rant he uses the word "reptobate".  "Jesus Christ is in you except you be reptobate."   That is just such a Gary-ism.

He does his rant about knowing that he's going to heaven because he's accepted Jesus and that nothing else matters.  I find this just such a convenient belief for a lazy-ass grifter like Gary.  It must be easy to believe that you don't have to be a good person and help others and live a decent life.  All you have to do is say the magic words and you get to walk around on streets of gold.

Nah, Gary.  I don't think it works like that.  Jesus isn't your personal "Get out of Hell - Free" card.  I hope it works out that we get reincarnated and that Gary comes back as a roach - or a dung beetle.  I'm flexible.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 6

13 minutes ago, Xan said:

I hope it works out that we get reincarnated and that Gary comes back as a roach - or a dung beetle. 

What, again?  ?

I don't think I want him to be anything that resilient. Maybe something that has to constantly work, and/or run from predators, or have some other hardship.

Take your pick from this article:

https://www.grunge.com/141852/animals-that-live-insanely-hard-lives/

Edited by thoughtful
riffle
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 4

7 minutes ago, thoughtful said:

What, again?  ?

I don't think I want to be anything that resiliant. Maybe something that has to constantly work, and/or run from predators, or have some other hardship.

Take your pick from this article:

https://www.grunge.com/141852/animals-that-live-insanely-hard-lives/

Really interesting article.  Alrighty then - I think Gary should come back as male orb-weaving spider.  I just hope that Becky gets to be the female spider who consumes him.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

I watched the video and immediately  "just jumped on here real quick" to see if thoughtful mentioned his mess of shirt. I guess the are no irons at the Walmarts.

And Gary, how do you know the rich man was crying out in hell for a drop of water?? Who was there and came out of hell to report this story?

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, thoughtful said:

Yes - they've been living there since they got to NC. Besides the videos in front of the Shrine of the Heavenly Bitch (as I now like to think of that retaining wall), the ones in the sanctuary and bedroom (with the bearded man mural) were all at this church.

And I believe she only has one kidney.

Gary is a reckless, selfish ass.

ETA - he's begging again:

image.png.606959f5233ce145833372d50dfff025.png

It's getting to be that time of year where Bro comes north for the red weens in ME.  Maine churches are still closed for the moment (except for drive-thru church, whatever that looks like).  Maybe some in the boonies where he goes will be open by whenever he arrives.   A guy who owns a brewery in the northern part of Maine opened his restaurant even though the governor had just said not to..  He said he just didn't care.  And lots of people showed up.  The next day he was shut down and has a date in court.  Sounded like a Bro Gary kind of guy.  The dumb bells who showed up were going on about how they needed their freedom à la Trump.  Luckily, most people I know have been more considerate and smarter than that crowd.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, thoughtful said:

Yes. Gary loves the story of Lazarus and the rich man.

Which is quite revealing when you think about it. The rich man - who always thought he was better than people like Gary, who had a nice house, and a reliable car, and an easy life and who looked down on people like Gary because they were 'ignorant' and 'illiterate' - languishes in hell because he didn't listen to people like Gary, who were right all along.

Not actually what the proverb says iirc, but pretty sure that's what Gary's getting out of it.

• Upvote 7

I find it's fishy that Gary went to visit his family and then went to the bank to deposit cash.  Methinks they are supporting him to some degree because he's not making any money.  If this is the case, don't they know he can get a job and make money?

Stepping off the speculation bus...

Edited by Carol
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

Gary's latest Facebook live starts with video of Becky playing a piano, with Jacob beside her. We hear Gary sniffing and making other noises for a while as he sets the phone up on a stand, then he joins her, pushing back a game table that is behind her and half-sitting on it, with his foot on the piano bench. They're letting you stay there for free, Gary - don't dirty or break the church's belongings.

image.png.d6b44b74684284c97c8925f2d7341fa2.png

They moan and grunt a song. I catch enough words to google, and it's one called There Is a Record Book.

Then they run through My Lord is Taking Good Care of Me, Could You Not Pray With Me One Hour, I'm Standing on the Solid Rock, I Can't Quit, It's Still the Blood (after which Gary says something like "a little more practice, you doin' good, Babe" and a few other things, then walks close to his phone and bellows HAYMEN!), another that I couldn't figure out because Gary sits behind Becky and yells Amens and "he's right, all the way!" and other bullshit, Thanks to Calvary, and Then Came the Morning.

Gary wanders around, gets a bottle of water, does something off-camera that sounds like crumpling bags, talks, sings some phrases and drops out on others, and doesn't seem to know most of the words. He fidgets in a dozen different ways - shoving his hands in his pocket, pushing at his glasses, wiping his nose on his sleeve, etc.

It's pretty clear that Gary thinks he needs no practice at all, and that the only work needed is for Becky to get better at playing the piano. Becky is nasal, and often out-of-tune, but she is mostly trying to sing alto parts, which are often limited in range on songs like this, and she's playing the piano at the same time. 

Becky and Gary, take it from a music teacher and choir director - stop running through things, and actually practice. Get a few notes, maybe a phrase, at a time, in tune and balance. If Gary's going to wander around and only sing a few phrases, then someone else needs to sing the melody.

Becky says "that's all I can do" and stands up, clearly in pain. It was unclear whether this was supposed to be practice or a performance, but Gary thanks us for tuning in to the Hawkins family singing.

I wish the Hawkins family would do some tuning - in, up, fine . . .

Edited by thoughtful
  • Thank You 13

If that singing video is a promo to encourage bookings I don’t think he’s going to be overwhelmed. However I suppose people see his rambling preaching & still allow him in their churches so the bar must be set low. 
They’d be better off putting more effort into the Tupperware business- at least people would get something for their money. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

But "WE want you back in Texas."  I don't understand why people want him.  Is their pastor so bad that Gary is a step up?  Why or why?  

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, wallysmommy said:

But "WE want you back in Texas."  I don't understand why people want him.  Is their pastor so bad that Gary is a step up?  Why or why?  

I think the answer may be ‘yes’. Since taking an interest in fundie grifters I have noticed that the quality of the preaching, even from the full time pastors, is poor- nothing inspires you to want to find out more or believe what they say. 

Before the lock down a priest came to my mum's care home to give communion- he is from Ghana and comes to our town every year to allow the parish priests to have a break - go on retreat or visit family. The residents love him as he has a great singing voice and bursts into song at random times during the service. He gave a sermon about bringing your troubles to God , using a tale from his early days as a priest in Africa. I am long lapsed but it brought me to tears. There was no yelling, waving his bible or shouting ‘haymen’ But it made me think a lot and I still think about it when times are tough. I cannot imagine Gary ever having that impact on people.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 8

38 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

I think the answer may be ‘yes’. Since taking an interest in fundie grifters I have noticed that the quality of the preaching, even from the full time pastors, is poor- nothing inspires you to want to find out more or believe what they say. 

Before the lock down a priest came to my mum's care home to give communion- he is from Ghana and comes to our town every year to allow the parish priests to have a break - go on retreat or visit family. The residents love him as he has a great singing voice and bursts into song at random times during the service. He gave a sermon about bringing your troubles to God , using a tale from his early days as a priest in Africa. I am long lapsed but it brought me to tears. There was no yelling, waving his bible or shouting ‘haymen’ But it made me think a lot and I still think about it when times are tough. I cannot imagine Gary ever having that impact on people.

I agree.  I don't think it even occurs to people like Gary and David Rod that they need to have a prepared sermon.  The little fundie churches are used to just having someone standing at the front yelling about how people who are not saved are going to hell.  It doesn't have to be organized or memorable.  I doesn't even have to have a beginning, a middle, and an end.  The whole purpose is to get together as a group and listen to someone talk about salvation.  Lately, it's also a way for the fundie preachers to vent about government or the latest conspiracy theory.  The bar is so low that it doesn't even clear the ground.

Apparently, the bar for music isn't any better.  You don't have to be able to play an instrument or carry a tune.  You just have to be willing to stand up front and mumble your way through a song.  If the flock wasn't guilted into attending, I doubt anyone would even be in the pews.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, wallysmommy said:

I believe that is from pastor Ummmmmmm Bradford, so the answer is yes, possibly because Gary yells loudly enough to keep the congregation awake until it's time to sing, do an altar call, or give money.

• Upvote 4

Gary's "paying his rent" at Promise Baptist, home of the outdoor shrine to the Mama Dog From Heaven, tonight.

image.png.8329eb131b31b3e8effdcf1d5394eaca.png

• Haha 8

• samurai_sarah pinned and unpinned this topic
  • samurai_sarah locked this topic